Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Outbreak: Frightening H7N9 Study

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outbreak: Frightening H7N9 Study
    Posted: April 27 2013 at 7:39pm

Mac Slavo
SHTFPlan.com
April 26, 2013

While U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention director Tom Frieden suggests there is no cause for panic over the H7N9 influenza strain and says that Americans, “go about their daily lives,” this unusually dangerous virus has concerned officials at the CDC to such an extent that they are rapidly working to develop an effective vaccine in the event it makes its way to North America.

According to the World Health Organization, the H7N9 bird flu virus is one the most lethal influenza strains ever identified. The first case appeared in China in late February and has since spread to scores of others, with at least 109 cases having been reported to WHO thus far, 22 of which have resulted in death. This amounts to a kill rate of 20%. These are laboratory confirmations, so in all likelihood there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of others who may be infected with the virus that haven’t received medical attention.

In the last 24 hours officials in Taiwan confirmed the first case of the virus outside of China. The patient was originally hospitalized on April 12, but confirmation of the virus did not come until nearly two weeks later, suggesting that the official numbers and the reality on the ground are starkly different.

Moreover, as reported by WHO, half of the H7N9 cases identified are individuals who have had no prior contact with poultry.

If true, this would be strong evidence that H7N9 has already achieved “human-to-human transmission,” turning it into a “nightmare influenza” that might already be spreading across the population.

That status is not proven yet, however, and more observation is needed before such a conclusion could be substantiated.

“If H7N9 were to stably adapt to humans, it would probably meet with little or no human immunity,” writes Peter Horby from Nature.com. “Detecting and tracking a partially human-adapted H7N9 virus in a city as vast as Shanghai or Beijing would be difficult; tracking a fully adapted virus would be impossible. And it could easily spread nationally and internationally.

Source: Natural News

While transmission between humans is not yet confirmed, the South China Morning Post cites a frightening study that suggests the virus is  mutating at an alarming rate:

The new bird flu could be mutating up to eight times faster than an average flu virus around a protein that binds it to humans, a team of research scientists in Shenzhen says.

Dr He Jiankui, an associate professor at South University of Science and Technology of China, said yesterday that the authorities should be alarmed by the results of their research and step up monitoring and control efforts to prevent a possible pandemic.

“It happened in just one or two weeks. The speed may not have caught up with the HIV, but it’s quite unusual for a flu.”

The fast mutation makes the virus’ evolutionary development very hard to predict. “We don’t know whether it will evolve into something harmless or dangerous,” He said. “Our samples are too limited. But the authorities should definitely be alarmed and get prepared for the worst-case scenario.

It’s impossible for the general public to know how this virus has mutated. Government officials in China are not sharing any specific details, and as noted, there are significant delays between the time a patient enters the hospital and when the virus is confirmed as H7N9.

Furthermore, if this virus has become transmittable by way of human to human contact it’s likely that government officials, in an effort to prevent panic, will wait as long as possible before they disseminate information to the public.

There is not much we can do unless we know it’s coming. The evidence thus far indicates the virus is continuing to spread. We really don’t know if it has gone human-to-human, and we may not know until it’s too late.

The Chinese study cited above suggests that authorities start preparing for a worst-case scenario.

We suggests individuals do the same and take steps now to prepare for a pandemic.

Stay up to date with information as it becomes available. If it’s confirmed that humans can pass this to each other, then avoid densely populated areas, especially schools, sporting events or any public gatherings. A 20% kill rate is not something to gamble with, so avoiding external human contact should this go critical is key to survival.

With the ease of travel across the globe, it won’t take long at all for this virus to appear in every major city on the planet.

The Black Death wiped out nearly one-third of Europe’s population in the mid 1300′s (incidentally, this plague reportedly started in China). The Spanish Flu infected half a billion people across the globe and killed upwards of 50 million in the early 1900′s.

It’s only a matter of time before the next mass pandemic makes its way across the world, and all of our technological advancements and modern day implements will be powerless to stop it.

This article was posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:27 am

ep123 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ep123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 7:56pm
too  scarhy,, whaT  SHOULD WE DO/
Suzi16 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 8:12pm
Prepare to quarantime yourself. For a year or two.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 10:14pm
ep123 - in the words of the late Douglas Adams, don't panic. If this goes human to human, a vaccine won't be available in quantities that will make a difference, and the same goes for antivirals. That may sound bleak, but everyone would be in the same boat  - except for those that prepped. An extended SIP (shelter in place) would be the best response to a worst case scenario, and if you read enough posts here you'll see many of us have been getting ready for that for a while. Personally I'm not shooting for anything like two years - I think riding out the worst pandemic wave (maybe as long as 3 months) is more of an attainable goal if you're just beginning and feel time is short, but in truth anything would be better than the week or two of supplies that most people would be lucky to have in their cupboards. Do the best you can with what you have to work with. There are lots of lists available that are useful in helping prep from scratch if you're just starting, and if you stick around here there are plenty of people more than willing to help. The threat of pandemic flu was the impetus that got me prepping in the first place, but it prepares you for so much more. Even if this comes to nothing and in six months we're laughing about all the time we spent worrying about H7N9, your preps will give you a sense of security that most people will never appreciate. Pandemics, economic downturns, EMPs, asteroids, zombies - you got them all covered better than 99.9% of the population and long before the panic buying starts. So don't panic and find your level of comfort with regards to preps and how much you want to invest in them, be methodical and do your research, and remember to buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Now where have I heard that before? LOLLOLLOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 1:37am
I am buying ammo expensive and stacking it deep!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 7:32am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

I am buying ammo expensive and stacking it deep!

LOL...LOL

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 2:14pm
i truly must say that i do not understand the mind set that makes fun of people who prep, while supporting the majority who do not prepare as the so called normal among us.
This world has changed so much in the past fifteen years. We have  SEEN tsunamis, nuclear melt downs, horrible earth quakes, terrorism,  war, use of chemichal weapons in war, we have heard prominent politicians  sound the alarm on the dangers of emp , we have a mad kid in korea threatening nuclear war, a sworn enemy that calls us the big satan working day and night to secure nuclear power to destroy us. We have heard hate speak amongst middle eastern nations unheard since nazi germany had its reign of terror. We have seen the nations forming groups and drawing lines in the sand. We have been responsible for computer warfare in iran and thank god we did, none the less we also know that we are vulnerable in a way never imagined before in history a crack hacker from a small country we could take over with ease now due to the lone hacker could shut our power grid down. We have sun power bursts that could happen at any time we have proof positive they already have done so in the past. We have seen in several places the devastation of hurricanes, tornados wiping out entire towns.
This is becoming the rule, not the exception, since h7n9 was discovered a little over just one short month ago, we have seen large scale terrorism, witnessed the insanity of the mind set that allows this attitude to flurish. We have seen a huge metropolitan area be totally shut down.
The horrendous explosion in Texas at the fertilizer plant which i personally believe is a act of terrorism the gov. will not acknowledge because of the panic so the powers that be flood the air waves with continued repeated info on boston.
Also, almost unheard of another explosion at a oil refinery, another terrorist hit in my opinion.
The truth is, it never ends, on a daily basis more threats emerge. We who are prepared are the fools, yeah right, I have come to the conclusion that people who can see all of this plus the whole time all of the above is happening let us not forget we are headed for the largest financial crash in history.
Please do yourself a favor and look up the article in the Rolling Stone that reveals the vast deception that the worlds largest banks have been doing, raising and lowering interest rates so they make a killing while the rest of us go broke. The article explains how the whole system is rigged and how the so called conspiracy therorists were and are right all along. IF POPULATION CONTROL IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF POWERFUL CABALS THAT RUN THE WORLD THEY HAVE SO MANY WEAPONS IN THEIR ARSENAL WE ARE DOOMED UNLESS WE ARE PREPARED. That is the rub, the media dispite all this news happening all day every day, are the ones putting out the propaganda that to prep is to be a tin foil nut case, the vast majority of folks buy in.  Prep on friends, no one can call us sheeple.

God Bless
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 2:55pm
and if you are into couponing, you can prep on the cheap.  I got into couponing because of the show on TLC and I've quit a couple of times because of burnout, time constraints, etc.  But it amazes me how good I feel when I go into my spare bedroom and see that I have enough laundry detergent, dish detergent, bath soap (bars and liquid), tooth paste, tooth brushes, deodorant, hand cream and then there's the food.  I've been buying meats from Zaycon Foods and now have two and 1/2 freezers full of meat and veggies and good variety at that.  Couponing also helped me stock up on canned goods, frozen foods, boxed foods, staples, etc.   Is it just me or doesn't it taste better when you didn't pay hardly anything for it?  LOL!

It gives me so much peace to know I'm mostly prepared if I had to SIP for a few months or longer.  AND I've got enough to share with family.

Nanook View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 3:07pm
Isn't it a great feeling to have the freezers full and the cellar stocked.  When there is a good sale on an item that we regularly use, I buy 10 of it.  Why not buy when it is cheap!
Always be Prepared!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic