Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Middle East Novel Corona Virus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middle East Novel Corona Virus?
    Posted: May 01 2013 at 9:35am
so have they admitted yet that this is h7n9 or not?  Haven't heard much else about it but I'm convinced that their problem is the same one that China's got.  Maybe that's why they can't find the source in China, cuz maybe it started somewhere else. 

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 12:07am
different virus , this one looks to have come from camels or bats , but hey!! who knows  anything is

possible at the moment, a reasortment of this coronavirus , H5N1,and H7N9, that that is not

improbable, scary yes, virus dont play by the rules , tricky little blighters.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 2:02am
Numbers of this are up again (although very low compared to the "official" bird flu figures).

"Five people in Saudi Arabia have died from a Sars-like virus and two more are seriously ill, officials say.

The seven cases were all from al-Ahsa governorate in the east of the country, the Saudi news agency SPA said citing health officials."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22378541

justintime View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justintime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 3:55am

Five die of SARS-like virus in Saudi Arabia

Health ministry says it is taking "precautionary measures" with two more people being treated in intensive care unit.

Last Modified: 02 May 2013 08:31

Saudi Arabia's health ministry has said that five Saudis have died from a new SARS-like virus and that two more are being treated in an intensive care unit.

In a statement cited by the Saudi SPA agency late on Wednesday, the ministry said that all the deaths occurred in the Ahsaa province in the oil-rich eastern region of the kingdom, according to the AFP news agency.

Known as novel coronavirus or hCoV-EMC, the virus was first detected in mid-2012 and is a cousin of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which triggered a scare 10 years ago when it erupted in east Asia, leaping to humans from animal hosts.

The health ministry said it was taking "all precautionary measures for persons who have been in contact with the infected people ... and has taken samples from them to examine if they are infected".

However, the ministry gave no figures for how many people have been examined to see if they have the lethal disease.

Sixteen people have now died from 23 cases detected in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Germany and Britain. Riyadh has accounted for most of the deaths, with 11 people, including the five new fatalities.

Coronaviruses cause most common colds and pneumonia, but are also to blame for unusual conditions such as SARS which killed more than 800 people when it swept out of China in 2003.

The new virus is different from SARS, in that it causes rapid kidney failure.

The strain is shrouded in mystery, and the World Health Organisation does not yet know how it is transmitted or how widespread it is.

A 73-year-old Saudi man died in Germany in March from the lethal new virus.

He had been travelling in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia before falling ill, and was transferred to Munich from Abu Dhabi on March 19.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/05/201352795849599.html

nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 9:53am
call me crazy but I still think that what's in the Middle East is the same h7n9 virus we're seeing in China.  They are just too similar and the timing is too coincidental for my taste.  The two viruses have too much in common also.  Both are related to SARS, both cause quick death and the people die pretty much the same way.  Both are new to humans and are corona viruses.

I am thinking that maybe the reason they can't find the source in China is because it didn't start there.  Just a theory but I'm sticking with it.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:01am
"The new virus is different from SARS, in that it causes rapid kidney failure".

That's a little disturbing Confused
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Diligent View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diligent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 12:06pm
Currently the ambient temperature range in Riyadh : daytime in the 90's F.  and in the nightime the 70's F. 
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 12:41pm
Wow. Just shy of 70% CFR compared to SARS 11%. That's not something that H7N9 has shown itself capable of doing if the Chinese numbers can be believed. That's H5N1 territory, and with kidney failure showing up in it's victims too? Usually coronaviruses are not as much of a concern as flu because they mutate much slower, but this one already seems to be a prodigious killer of people, but fortunately still lacking the ability to easily spread. I found a reference to the WHO last November stating that genetically it most closely resembled a bat virus. Now, why does that sound familiar?
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 1:14pm
ok, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.  I'll sit back and watch.  Hopefully all of these things will just die off on their on without ever becoming a pandemic.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 1:42pm
I think you're right to be concerned, nc_girl. That's still a scary virus. I'm not familiar with the pandemic potential of a coronavirus because it seems to be assumed that influenza is the primary candidate by virtue of it's rapid mutation rate, but this is already killing as many of the infected as H5N1 does. If it were to develop efficient H2H transmissibilty with that kind of fatality rate it could well spark a pandemic. And this while H7N9 is spreading and H5N1 is still out there? Shocked
Yomi View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 3:51pm
I last 2 months bad dreams and wake up not...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2013 at 8:45pm
I keep saying there are too many people and mother nature is going to find a way to weed out people. It is just when not if!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic