Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Mayo is rich in eggs and shelf stable!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mayo is rich in eggs and shelf stable!!!!
    Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:38am

Why the hell didn't anyone think of this yet????

Mayo is rich in eggs and shelf stable. We can use it as an egg replacement instead of buying dried eggs.

Now I just need to find some mayo recipes or create my own. Mayo has vinegar and will react nicely with baking soda. It also has oil which will decrease the need for adding fat to a recipe.

If I was rich...I'd be buying stock in Helman's right now.

Pebbles View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:40am
You're right!  There are even recipes for cakes made with Mayo!  Yay! Thanks for reminding me about that.
Blackbird singing in the dead of the night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All my life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:58am
MAYONNAISE COOKIES  

1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Granulated sugar

Mix above ingredients. (That's all! Nothing has been left out.) Roll into balls. Roll balls into granulated sugar and press with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

These sound "weird", but are excellent! They are similar to a sugar cookie.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:01am
GRANDMA PETERS' MAYONNAISE CAKE  

1 c. sugar
2 c. flour (plain or cake)
1 tsp. baking soda
4 tbsp. cocoa
Pinch of salt
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together into mixing bowl. Mix mayonnaise, water and vanilla together and stir into dry ingredients. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees (preheated oven) for 20-30 minutes or until done (top will spring back when pressed). Cool on wire racks and frost.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:04am
MAYONNAISE CAKE WITH IMITATION WHIPPED
CREAM FROSTING

CAKE:

1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. water
2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla

FROSTING:

1 c. milk
5 tbsp. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla

CAKE: Cream mayonnaise and sugar together. Mix cocoa, soda and flour together. Add to creamed mixture, alternating with water and vanilla. Pour into greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

FROSTING: Shake in shaker milk and flour until smooth. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy. Let cool. Beat sugar, shortening and extracts until creamy. Add to cooled mixture. Beat on high until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth and creamy.

cisne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:08am

This should lead to a recipie for mayonnaise biscuits.

http://tinyurl.com/ppqq2

In a hundred years, we will all be bald.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:13am
MAYONNAISE BISCUITS (MUFFINS)  

1 c. self-rising flour
3 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 c. milk

Stir ingredients until smooth. Drop by spoonfuls into a greased 6 muffin pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. These are good to perk up a meal of leftovers.

I'm going to have to figure out how to convert this to regular flour and baking powder and soda.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:14am
Has anyone ever seen small packs of mayo sold in stores? I'm thinking of the ones you can get with fast food.

I'd love to have some for tuna, but hate to open a jar, use enough for a sandwich and then throw the rest away if we have no elec for the frig.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:16am

Thanks Cisne! This is better because it uses regular flour!

Here is the text from Cisne's link

Mayonnaise Biscuits Recipe

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise

Directions:

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix mayonnaise and milk and add to dry ingredients-mix until dough holds together. Place on lightly floured board and knead lightly. Roll and cut about 3/4" thick. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:18am
Aurora, I heard they are sold at some of the warehouse grocery stores
cisne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:19am

By the way KatDoe - what an excellent idea.  Thank you for thinking of it!

P.S.  The recipie at the link uses regular flour in case you aren't stocking self-rising.

cisne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:20am
Our posts must have crossed in cyberspace. 
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:21am
MAYONNAISE GINGER BREAD  

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. molasses
1 tsp. soda
1 c. mayonnaise
2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 c. hot water

Sift flour and sugar in mixing bowl. Add molasses, mayonnaise and ginger. Mix soda in water, mix in well. Bake 375 degrees in floured, greased 9x12 pan. This is good hot with butter or may frost with buttercream icing.
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:22am
Thanks for the recipes!!!!  I was also wondering if anyone knows if Sam's Club sells the individual packets of mayo.    
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:25am

OK, now everyone, get on your knees and pray for a 10 for 10 mayo sale!!!

This is the biggest relief to me!!!

I'll be on cloud nine ALL week now :-)

Cisne, Thanks so much for that link!

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 12:27pm

OK, I tried these cookies. They are acceptable. There is a mild, savory, mayo taste, that is stronger in the dough than in the baked cookie, that some might find offensive. I'm going to make sure to store a couple of the cookies a few days to see if the savory taste strengthens with storing, but freshly baked it's VERY mild. Puppy gave them paws up :-) I'll wait to see what hubby and my 17 year old son think, and I'll let you know.

I think the addition of some cocoa, molasses or spices will do much to mask the savory taste of the spices used in the mayo. I'll be doing some serious experimenting in the next couple weeks. This is DEFINATELY a recipe that you want to print out and tuck away after stocking up on mayo. All the ingredients are shelf stable and even part of the Mormon food calculators (except for the vanilla). If I'm without eggs and butter I will CERTAINLY make these!

I improved the instructions a bit. Try making a half recipe to try them.

MAYONNAISE COOKIES  

1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Granulated sugar

Sift together flour, soda and salt. Set aside. Cream sugar and mayo. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Roll into balls. Roll balls into granulated sugar and press with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 1:47pm
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 2:34pm
I think you better check the dates on mayo, bad mayo like bad eggs could be tough on you.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 4:31am
PUMPKIN PUFF
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. raisins (optional)
Cream mayonnaise and sugar until fluffy. Sift flour, salt, soda, and spices into mixture, alternating with pumpkin. Add raisins. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Ice with butter frosting while warm. Good iced or plain.
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 5:58am
I know that mayo & Miracle Whip are not the same, but does anybody know if Miracle Whip can be unrefriderated too?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:53am

I found the small packages at Costco. If I remember correctly, they were about $4.50 for a box of 100.

I was always taught that mayo absolutely had to be refridgerated. I don't understand this thread. How do we know this is safe? Would appreciate some info. TIA

Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:02pm

There was a salmonella problem in U.K. eggs a few years ago and we were advised to avoid Mayonaise due to the inclusion of UNCOOKED egg whites.

I never bothered to check this, I just took what seemed to be the prudent course of action and stopped buying it.

This might be worth checking before buying a ton of it.

Pebbles View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:08pm

Thanks KatDoe for all the recipes!

Darn!  My Costco doesn't have the small pkgs of mayo.  I'm bummed.

Blackbird singing in the dead of the night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All my life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:36pm
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:38pm

Is store bought mayo cooked or pasteurized or something????? My son and I were trying to figure that out this morning.

If it's not, it might be more of a worry in the future than now. The mayo we have in stores NOW in the USA is safe and will store for 6 months. Maybe not a permanent solution, but at least temporary. My 17 year old son said NOTHING is a permanent solution, and that being set for 6 months is better than nothing :-0

I've been doing some expirementing. I'll try and type out recipes later today.

The best products come from using Mayo and COMPLETE pancake mix. What a GREAT combo. Mayo has water as the second ingredient between oil (1) and eggs (3). The milk and egg powder in the COMPLETE pancake mix complements that perfectly so you end up with a bit of shortening from the mix, oil from the mayo, eggs from both, and milk from the mix in about the same ratio as regular biscuit mix with the usual fresh eggs and milk, and extra fat added, in the recipes for things other than pancakes and biscuits.

outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 7:04pm
For whatever it's worth, In talking with my 80 yr. old mother this evening, she said that, as a young child, going thru the great depression, she remembers NEVER refridgerating real mayo. 

She said that the jar of mayo. was always kept in the cupboard, next to the mustard, brown sugar, etc... 

All 6 hsehld. members never got sick eating it.

If it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Just purchased 3 gallons of "real" mayo. @ Sam's Club today.

God help us all...
Peggy in MN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic