Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

MERS in Italy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MERS in Italy
    Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:44pm
Repost from Satori on MERSInfo.org.

first case in Italy now being reported

Italy announces first case of SARS-like coronavirus

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/31/health-coronavirus-italy-idUSL5N0EC3UQ20130531?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssHealthcareNews&rpc=43

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:47pm
Hi Albert, I'm finding this MERS spread very worrying indeed. How can it possibly be contained if the incubation period is 9-14 days? How long before it hits the USA or NZ? For all we know, it's already here in someone who came back from their holidays a week ago and still feels fine. Very worrying. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:50pm
It's probably coming KiwiMum, but nothing to worry about at the moment.   Canada will most likely be reporting its first case soon, or possibly New York or Los Angeles.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 3:49pm
So which way do i  fly to  Europe in 6 weeks ?,

via Asia or the Middle East  ????  ,Mmmmmmm....

H7N9 or Mers_cov  ??????   Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Rors View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 4:44pm
So this guy was in jordan for only 40 days and contracted the disease. He's the first case in that country after 2 of the earliest cases several months ago. It's scary to think that there are many cases not being reported either because noone is looking for them, or for political/economic/social reasons. I cant get over the fact that cases are being discovered in different continents yet almost no cases are found in the middle east outside of Saudi Arabia.
It's not like am wishing for it to happen, but it just doesnt add up.

Moreover, Saudi and Jordan both have borders with Syria and with the conflict there and the whole population movements and refugees and the disruption of health monitoring and reporting systems, this adds to the complexity and the potential for this to explode unnoticed

With all these cases popping up in Europe and Northern Africa, and virtually few to no cases reported in the rest of the middle east and the levant area, and given that air travel is much heavier within the region than to europe/africa, am getting inclined to believe that there are way more cases than what is being reported
Nanook View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 5:54pm
Why do you think that Canada would report its first case before America?  Just curious...
Always be Prepared!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:40pm
Nanook, international travel, flu viruses, h1n1, the orig SARS outbreak.  London, Canada, NY and L.A.

MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:55pm
My niece is supposed to go to Jordan with a family she works for this summer. This is where this Italian person got MERS. I told her to PLEASE not go. This really worries me. I hope she doesn't go. She is in her mid 20s and really wants to go. What do you all think?
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 8:23pm
I think your niece is crazy to go to Jordan regardless of MERS!  This is an Arabic country where people are stoned for committing adultery.  She may well be cavity searched upon entrance to this country.  People have been known to smuggle drugs in their vagina or rectum.  Is she prepared for that?  I had a friend in college whose parents worked in Saudi Arabia.  She was cavity searched when she went to visit her parents!  Why would Jordan be any different? 

How well does she know this family that she'll be traveling with?  Are they Jordanian?  Sunni Muslims make up the majority of people in this country.

I don't think any woman should travel to any middle eastern country, PERIOD!  If she's foolish enough to go then she definitely needs to study up on their customs before hand.

Any female in their mid 20's is not mature enough to deal with potential problems in this part of the world.

There are lots of other places to travel in the world other than Jordan.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:51pm
Would this be the 51st case or the 52nd? Just a matter of days before reaching North America.
Rors View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:16pm
Jordan is nothing like Saudi Arabia, she will not be cavity searched, and there's no community outbreaks so far, and if things remain the same, i believe it's not a big risk if she went to Jordan (a country that receives hundreds of thousands of western tourists every year)
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:23pm
Besides Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, UAE, Italy, MERS-CoV is now in France, Germany, UK & Tunisia.  It IS spreading!  I think there are at least 49 cases in Saudi Arabia alone.  Millions of Muslims will travel to Mecca for the Hajj Pilgrimage in October.

There may be a cluster of 4 in France, but it is unconfirmed.  3 of them could be hospital workers.

Margaret Chan, the head of who, said that this is a threat to the entire world.

30 of 50 cases were fatal, 60%.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:40pm

My niece and my sister have known this family for many years. They own a business in town for many years. You could potentially get cavity searched here in the USA, so not worried about that. Women are not really safe any where in this world. The trip would be paid for so she really can't go anywhere. Smile

So my main concern would be MERS.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
jody05/005 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05/005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:58pm
MERS is a threat to the entire world   but  so is breathing these days

HOPE
Yomi View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 12:07pm

Novel Coronavirus, two additional confirmed cases in Italy

Press Release

-- The cases are close contacts of the first confirmed patient; both are currently in stable condition;

-- The Ministry of Health is following the situation closely.

Tuscany Region informed this afternoon the Ministry of Health of the confirmation of two previously suspected cases, already under surveillance because part of the close contacts of the first confirmed case.

Both have developed clinical respiratory symptoms of the disease and are currently in stable condition.

Laboratory tests performed by Regional Health Authorities and by the National Institute of Health confirmed the infection with the Coronavirus of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV).

The cases are a two year old female (a family member of the index case), and a coworker of the same patient.

Both patients are hospitalized under isolation in Florence hospitals.

Human transmission between persons who stayed in close contacts with confirmed patients has been documented elsewhere in Europe in familiar or nosocomial environment.

The Ministry of Health is following closely the situation and remains in close contacts with the Regional health authorities.

1 June 2013

http://hygimia69.blogspot.de/2013/06/novel-coronavirus-two-additional.html
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 12:23pm
H2H in Italy. And they're still trying to contain it in Saudi long after the horse bolted...
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic