Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

MERS - 2 Filipinas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MERS - 2 Filipinas?
    Posted: September 18 2013 at 8:34am
This is a little confusing.  A second Filipina nurse is isolated with MERS from a hospital outbreak and not sure this case was reported.  Not that it's strange for 2 Filipinas working at a hospital in Saudi to get MERS, but then again, maybe it is.  There could be an outbreak at the hospital and although the Saudis aren't reporting cases on their own people, perhaps they have to when it pertains to another country.  If that's the case, there is a huge number of under-reported cases and this hospital outbreak is probably quite large.  Actually, it is a little strange that two Filipinas at a Saudi hospital contracted it - and no other cases being reported.

First Pinay dies from MERS virus

MANILA, Philippines - A 41-year-old Filipina nurse in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia died last month of coronavirus while another Filipina is confined at a hospital after she also contracted the virus, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday.

DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez said the Filipina nurse, whose name was withheld, suffered pneumonia.

“Our embassy in Riyadh confirmed that a 41-year-old Filipina staff nurse at a hospital in Riyadh died last Aug. 29 and based on a medical report obtained, the deceased tested positive for the coronavirus before her death,” Hernandez said.

He said the nurse was admitted to hospital on Aug. 12 after a fishbone got stuck in her throat. She was discharged on Aug. 14.

Five days later, she complained of fever and coughing.

The victim developed respiratory distress and was put on a ventilator on Aug. 22.

Two days later, she was diagnosed with severe pneumonia and had to be transferred to the hospital’s intensive care unit.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said the health agency was informed of four additional laboratory-confirmed cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection in Saudi Arabia.

The first case is a 41-year-old female healthcare worker from Riyadh with no known underlying medical conditions and who became ill last Aug. 15. Her condition deteriorated and she died at the end of August.

The WHO said no known exposure to animals, or to a confirmed MERS-CoV case, has been identified and investigations into the source of infection are ongoing.

According to Hernandez, the hospital supervisor said that another Filipina is currently confined at the same hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.

“The patient was brought by her employer to the hospital for dialysis and was infected during her confinement. She is now recovering,” he said.

The DFA has coordinated with the family of the dead Filipina nurse and the Department of Health (DOH) regarding the repatriation of her remains.

“Our citizens are advised to follow the measures being taken by local health authorities to prevent the spread of the virus,” Hernandez said.

Those who are feeling any of the symptoms – including fever, cough, shortness of breath and even diarrhea – should immediately seek medical attention.

The WHO said the four additional laboratory-confirmed cases of MERS-CoV infection in Saudi Arabia also include a 30-year-old Saudi male healthcare worker from Riyadh, working in the same hospital.

He developed severe pneumonia on Sept. 1 and is currently in critical condition.

The third case involved a 79-year-old woman from Hafar al-Batin province who developed a respiratory illness on Aug. 21. Her condition deteriorated and she died on Sept. 2.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/09/18/1222381/first-pinay-dies-mers-virus

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 8:43am
The Saudis are probably determined to hide cases now with Hajj approaching. Anything for a crazy ritual for Allah. 3 million Arabs converging in one place with not one stick of deodorant between them all.  Hell, the smell is likely to kill someone before MERS does at that event.  I know, terrible of me.

LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 9:33am
I believe this is related to the Prince Sultan hospital thread and the unconfirmed rumors of a wider outbreak there.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 11:00am
It would be interesting to know which hospital they were taken to! Is it just Prince Sultan or is it wide spread through out the hospital system.
Buy more ammo!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 9:25pm
well Fontwe would merge the thread if we had any help around here.  missed the memo
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 9:28pm
still trying to remove the font deal above.   Ermm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 9:31pm
Albert, the deodorant comment is sooooo good! Reminds me of the French maybe that is why they let so many Middle Eastern people into France. They all smell so bad and no one can tell who smells worse!

LOL...slap my hand!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 10:59am
lol.... ya we're terrible flumom. 
jody05/005 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05/005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 2:57pm
read the deleted posts.  shocked and sick !!!!!!!!!
HOPE
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 9:52pm
Jody....?

The owner has to have fun now and again.

My bad as you younger folk say.

Plus it's not all my fault.  Complain to Allah and no speedsitck for Hajj babe. 

Ya, bad example over here.  

Anything for Allah, although I believe we also heard that somewhere else.
jody05/005 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05/005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 11:57pm
Albert    problem is that I am not a "younger folk".  I grew up with values of respect for all people.  If I were Muslim I would be out of here faster than you could say flu.  I understand your fun but it will not attract new members.  ok lecture over ( my kids hate my lectures lol lol)
HOPE
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 2:50pm
I tend to get carried away around happy hour. I respect most beliefs, but quite frankly, I don't have a lot of respect for Muslim beliefs and what they're about to cause with Hajj. I'm somewhat of an activist at heart and tend to speak my mind. Muslims don't make the wisest decisions as we all know. Just call them like Isee them.
balddalesman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balddalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 2:55pm
  BRAVO ALBERT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic