Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

An open letter to 0bama...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An open letter to 0bama...
    Posted: October 06 2013 at 7:58pm
Dear President Obama,

You strike me as the sort of man who spends a lot of time staring at his own reflection. I wonder, what do you see when you gaze so admiringly at yourself? What image do you find in that mirror of yours? Let me guess: a graceful Greek god with a golden crown, draped in luxurious robes, perched on a giant, magnificent throne atop a mountain in the sky? You see a throng of angels singing your praises and masses of subservient peasants prostrated before you, trembling with fear and awe? You see a man who is more than a man, and a president who transcends the presidency; you see a historic figure of immortal importance?

Yeah, that’s what I thought, and I can’t blame you, Mr. President. By all accounts, you’ve always been an arrogant, haughty narcissist — and that was before you became president. Your supporters and your enemies may argue over whether you descended from heaven on the back of a Pegasus, or were birthed from the bowels of Hell to bring about a Biblical apocalypse, but they both agree on one thing: you are a figure of great significance and immense power. You are either the anti-Christ or the Second Coming, with no room for anything in-between. Surely, this talk might cause even a humble man to slip into a state of vanity and pride, so I can only imagine what it must do to a man such as yourself, already so aloof and so conceited.

That’s why I’m writing this letter. My impression of you is quite different, and it has only been solidified by your performance during this shutdown/Obamacare debate. I find you to be a very small man, Mr. President. Far from larger than life, you are petty, frivolous, pathetic; sneering and pompous but also trifling and narrow. I don’t mean to dismiss or underestimate the damage you have done to this nation — it has certainly been profound and lasting — but I want you to know that your legacy will not be one of grandeur and brilliance; it will be the legacy of a shameless, desperate bully. Both your opponents and your proponents hoist you up as a world leader with a grand vision, whether benevolent or malevolent. I, on the other hand, believe you have the vision of a temperamental two year old. You simply want to feel like you’re in control; you want to “win,” you want everybody in the room to pay attention to you, and you’ll stomp your feet and whine until you get your way. You govern like a coddled toddler; it’s inappropriate to pejoratively refer to you as a “dictator,” but only because it lends you a certain unwarranted credibility. I think you wish to be a dictator, but instead you’re just a bumbling bureaucrat; easily replaced and even more easily forgotten. You have the ethics of Genghis Khan, but the leadership skills of Michael Scott. This is why we are forced to witness the spectacle of, for instance, our president brazenly threatening to invade another nation for no reason, only to clumsily abandon the idea after being publicly spanked by Putin.

Your legacy, Mr. President, will be defined by small, shameful things, as your presidency has been primarily a succession of small, shameful things. The platitudes you spouted during your campaign — the theatrics, the pomp, the hype — have all faded. Replaced by the scheming partisan machinations that have come to define your tenure.

Every president has a moment that encapsulates their time in office; your moment, Mr. President, happened this week. Sure, future generations will look at you with mockery and scorn because of bigger scandals — Benghazi, the IRS targeting conservatives, Obamacare, the birth control mandate and your attacks on religious liberty, spying on journalists, arming terrorists overseas, Fast and Furious, the green energy scams, the bailouts, your support for infanticide, the billions you’ve given to the abortion industry, your cowardice in refusing to address the Gosnell murders, your reckless exploitation of the Zimmerman trial, the out of control deficit spending, your refusal to enforce immigration laws, the massive expansion of the Welfare State, the lies, the broken promises, etc — but I think, in an understated way, what you’ve done this week is a better microcosm of your entire reign.

I’m not just referring to the fact that you are peddling the lie that “Republicans” have “shutdown the government,” when, in fact, they have attempted to pass several bills that would fund the government. Mr. President, you tell these fables to the trained seals in the media and your voting base, but you know damn well that any American with a capacity for critical thought will roundly reject this absurd narrative. YOU have chosen to “shut down” the government because you have made Obamacare the ultimate priority. You have said, “Obamacare or nothing,” and then accused Republicans of being the “hostage takers.” They are holding the government hostage by trying to fund it? What a silly idea. But then, you are a silly, ridiculous president. Speaking of which, this takes us right to your defining moment: barricading memorials and monuments in a ploy to win an argument.

Comparatively insignificant when stacked up against your war crimes and constitutional infringements, but it is nonetheless an apt illustration. The Lincoln Memorial is just a giant statue. There isn’t any reason why people shouldn’t be able to look at a statue during a government shutdown. In past shutdowns, the memorials were open, with only the information centers closing down. The Lincoln Memorial has never been completely closed off from the public until now. You have decided to spend money to block and guard open-air monuments, when it would be cheaper, require less staff, and be less onerous to simply leave them be. Is this some sort of bizarre punitive measure against the American taxpayer?

Infamously, you even attempted to stop WW2 veterans from visiting the WW2 memorial. That memorial is mostly privately funded, and is open 24 hours a day. You SPENT MONEY to physically guard the monument from a group of elderly war veterans. This is truly unprecedented. We have had horrible presidents in the past, but none quite so shallow, cheap and contemptible. You tried to close down Mt. Vernon, which is privately funded, but had to settle for closing its parking lot — even though the parking lot requires no immediate on-going maintenance or surveillance from any federal workers. Did you have to shut down the Normandy cemetery and memorial? Are we saving money that way? I doubt it.

It’s the same game you played during the sequester, and it comes as no surprise to those of us who pay attention (which means it came as a surprise to a large number of people). Rather than leading like a statesman, you hide in the shadows; scheming, conniving, exploiting. You emerge only to make hyper-partisan speeches, with rhetoric best left to Democratic talking heads on afternoon cable news shows. Far from being a “new kind of politician” (as you were advertised), you are the most political politician this country has ever seen. You are political to your core, in your essence, at an atomic level, and so you are unable to offer any direction or clarity when the nation needs it most. Sometimes, Mr. President, the affairs of this nation require a man, not a politician, and it is during those times that you are especially useless. You don’t have any interest in fixing our present crisis because you’re too busy finding ways to keep a busload of 90 year old war veterans from looking at a memorial.

Closing down parks, monuments and memorials just to score political points is hardly your most insidious deed, but it’s certainly one of your pettiest. That’s why it stands, ironically, as a monument of its own. If we ever build a statue of you, Mr. President, you won’t be triumphantly holding a flaming torch like Lady Liberty, or standing authoritatively with a look of determination, like the MLK memorial. No, it will be a statue of you pulling the wings off of a fly, or spitting in someone’s orange juice. It will show you in your essence, as monuments are meant to do. It will show you as a petulant, skulking, juvenile bully. It will show you as you are.

And we’ll make sure it’s always open, especially during a government shut down.

Sincerely,

Matt Walsh
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 9:03pm
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 3:33am
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!KUDOS to you Turbo.......
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Strategos View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Dear President Obama,

You strike me as the sort of man who spends a lot of time staring at his own reflection. I wonder, what do you see when you gaze so admiringly at yourself? What image do you find in that mirror of yours? Let me guess: a graceful Greek god with a golden crown, draped in luxurious robes, perched on a giant, magnificent throne atop a mountain in the sky? You see a throng of angels singing your praises and masses of subservient peasants prostrated before you, trembling with fear and awe? You see a man who is more than a man, and a president who transcends the presidency; you see a historic figure of immortal importance?

Yeah, that’s what I thought, and I can’t blame you, Mr. President. By all accounts, you’ve always been an arrogant, haughty narcissist — and that was before you became president. Your supporters and your enemies may argue over whether you descended from heaven on the back of a Pegasus, or were birthed from the bowels of Hell to bring about a Biblical apocalypse, but they both agree on one thing: you are a figure of great significance and immense power. You are either the anti-Christ or the Second Coming, with no room for anything in-between. Surely, this talk might cause even a humble man to slip into a state of vanity and pride, so I can only imagine what it must do to a man such as yourself, already so aloof and so conceited.

That’s why I’m writing this letter. My impression of you is quite different, and it has only been solidified by your performance during this shutdown/Obamacare debate. I find you to be a very small man, Mr. President. Far from larger than life, you are petty, frivolous, pathetic; sneering and pompous but also trifling and narrow. I don’t mean to dismiss or underestimate the damage you have done to this nation — it has certainly been profound and lasting — but I want you to know that your legacy will not be one of grandeur and brilliance; it will be the legacy of a shameless, desperate bully. Both your opponents and your proponents hoist you up as a world leader with a grand vision, whether benevolent or malevolent. I, on the other hand, believe you have the vision of a temperamental two year old. You simply want to feel like you’re in control; you want to “win,” you want everybody in the room to pay attention to you, and you’ll stomp your feet and whine until you get your way. You govern like a coddled toddler; it’s inappropriate to pejoratively refer to you as a “dictator,” but only because it lends you a certain unwarranted credibility. I think you wish to be a dictator, but instead you’re just a bumbling bureaucrat; easily replaced and even more easily forgotten. You have the ethics of Genghis Khan, but the leadership skills of Michael Scott. This is why we are forced to witness the spectacle of, for instance, our president brazenly threatening to invade another nation for no reason, only to clumsily abandon the idea after being publicly spanked by Putin.

Your legacy, Mr. President, will be defined by small, shameful things, as your presidency has been primarily a succession of small, shameful things. The platitudes you spouted during your campaign — the theatrics, the pomp, the hype — have all faded. Replaced by the scheming partisan machinations that have come to define your tenure.

Every president has a moment that encapsulates their time in office; your moment, Mr. President, happened this week. Sure, future generations will look at you with mockery and scorn because of bigger scandals — Benghazi, the IRS targeting conservatives, Obamacare, the birth control mandate and your attacks on religious liberty, spying on journalists, arming terrorists overseas, Fast and Furious, the green energy scams, the bailouts, your support for infanticide, the billions you’ve given to the abortion industry, your cowardice in refusing to address the Gosnell murders, your reckless exploitation of the Zimmerman trial, the out of control deficit spending, your refusal to enforce immigration laws, the massive expansion of the Welfare State, the lies, the broken promises, etc — but I think, in an understated way, what you’ve done this week is a better microcosm of your entire reign.

I’m not just referring to the fact that you are peddling the lie that “Republicans” have “shutdown the government,” when, in fact, they have attempted to pass several bills that would fund the government. Mr. President, you tell these fables to the trained seals in the media and your voting base, but you know damn well that any American with a capacity for critical thought will roundly reject this absurd narrative. YOU have chosen to “shut down” the government because you have made Obamacare the ultimate priority. You have said, “Obamacare or nothing,” and then accused Republicans of being the “hostage takers.” They are holding the government hostage by trying to fund it? What a silly idea. But then, you are a silly, ridiculous president. Speaking of which, this takes us right to your defining moment: barricading memorials and monuments in a ploy to win an argument.

Comparatively insignificant when stacked up against your war crimes and constitutional infringements, but it is nonetheless an apt illustration. The Lincoln Memorial is just a giant statue. There isn’t any reason why people shouldn’t be able to look at a statue during a government shutdown. In past shutdowns, the memorials were open, with only the information centers closing down. The Lincoln Memorial has never been completely closed off from the public until now. You have decided to spend money to block and guard open-air monuments, when it would be cheaper, require less staff, and be less onerous to simply leave them be. Is this some sort of bizarre punitive measure against the American taxpayer?

Infamously, you even attempted to stop WW2 veterans from visiting the WW2 memorial. That memorial is mostly privately funded, and is open 24 hours a day. You SPENT MONEY to physically guard the monument from a group of elderly war veterans. This is truly unprecedented. We have had horrible presidents in the past, but none quite so shallow, cheap and contemptible. You tried to close down Mt. Vernon, which is privately funded, but had to settle for closing its parking lot — even though the parking lot requires no immediate on-going maintenance or surveillance from any federal workers. Did you have to shut down the Normandy cemetery and memorial? Are we saving money that way? I doubt it.

It’s the same game you played during the sequester, and it comes as no surprise to those of us who pay attention (which means it came as a surprise to a large number of people). Rather than leading like a statesman, you hide in the shadows; scheming, conniving, exploiting. You emerge only to make hyper-partisan speeches, with rhetoric best left to Democratic talking heads on afternoon cable news shows. Far from being a “new kind of politician” (as you were advertised), you are the most political politician this country has ever seen. You are political to your core, in your essence, at an atomic level, and so you are unable to offer any direction or clarity when the nation needs it most. Sometimes, Mr. President, the affairs of this nation require a man, not a politician, and it is during those times that you are especially useless. You don’t have any interest in fixing our present crisis because you’re too busy finding ways to keep a busload of 90 year old war veterans from looking at a memorial.

Closing down parks, monuments and memorials just to score political points is hardly your most insidious deed, but it’s certainly one of your pettiest. That’s why it stands, ironically, as a monument of its own. If we ever build a statue of you, Mr. President, you won’t be triumphantly holding a flaming torch like Lady Liberty, or standing authoritatively with a look of determination, like the MLK memorial. No, it will be a statue of you pulling the wings off of a fly, or spitting in someone’s orange juice. It will show you in your essence, as monuments are meant to do. It will show you as a petulant, skulking, juvenile bully. It will show you as you are.

And we’ll make sure it’s always open, especially during a government shut down.

Sincerely,

Matt Walsh

Masterfully written and well said.

10 thumbs up and a few toes too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 4:50am
ClapClapClapClapClapClap

FBHO

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 5:07am
Let me get this straight
In the Twisted World of the Radical Extremist Right you believe the President shut down the Government because he would not overturn his own legislation.

WOW we live in interesting time, witnessing a Political Party commit suicide in a delusional induced trance is quite fun

LOLLOLLOL
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 6:05am
UT OH...Here we go.......Mahwashaden verses Turboguy. Let the games begin!!
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by coyote coyote wrote:

UT OH...Here we go.......Mahwashaden verses Turboguy. Let the games begin!!

He's welcome to his opinion. I deal with facts.

And if I'm the one that's wrong here, Mahshadin can simply sign up for 0bamacare, through the website they've had the last four years to set up. Oh, it doesn't work? Oh, the rates and deductables are too high? Okay.

I'm not the author of that letter.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 6:39am
Turbo wrote: I'm not the author of that letter.

Hey that's OK... Still a great find!

DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 6:46am
Well said matt welsh maybe you should.run, sounds like we could.use a man like you
WHAT TO DO????
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 3:09pm
Check this out ......

It appears the man in white house is a fraud

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 4:40pm
Has this been sent to fox news if not please forward
WHAT TO DO????
Sea wolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 7:45pm
The Democratic Party is to change it's name to the Socialist Party to comply with truth I advertising.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 2:42am
Agreed
WHAT TO DO????
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 6:28am
And the Repubs are asking the tea Party (nicely - because they don't want to upset them) if they can adopt their name officially...
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 8:10am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

And the Repubs are asking the tea Party (nicely - because they don't want to upset them) if they can adopt their name officially...

BS.

The Republicans co-opted the Tea Party's message because the Tea Party was a threat to the Republican establishment. The Tea Party was a good thing because they excused themselves from the stupid social debate (Abortion, gay rights, etc) and focused like a laser beam on the fiscal issues.

Liberals and the average Democrat think of the Tea Party as some kind of boogey man, when in reality they should have embraced the Tea Party's existence because while it drew the fiscally responsibility minded Democrats away from the Democratic party, it drew about a solid third to half the Republicans off the Republican party. In reality, the Tea Party is exactly what is needed to get our country back on track.

Focus on the Fiscal issues and leave the social ones alone.

The fact of the matter is that once the Republicans got their claws into the Tea Party, the Tea Party was dead. They started talking about Religious stupid issues, abortion, etc and that was it.

The problem with politics in this country is we get a choice of tyranny. Liberal Socialism/Communism rion handed force, or Hardline, Bible Thumping insanity legislating morality.

Here's an idea: How about we get our fiscal house in order, then you live your life, I'll live mine, you leave me alone, I leave you alone, and I don't have to kick you in the head.

(Not you literally, just people who want to force their fcked up lifestyle onto me)
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 8:32am
TG - work not agreeing with you? Not your usual tolerant self today.
Love you too, buddy Hug

BTW - despite what you might think, while social issues are important to bleeding heart liberals like moi, I worry every day about stuff like the Chinese economy tanking either when their housing bubble bursts, or their one child policy finally leads to an unsustainable workforce/retiree ratio and they start calling in debts that we can't repay. "Stuff" is coming down the pipeline and we're not in good enough shape to handle it. While we might not agree on how to get there, I couldn't agree with you more about getting our fiscal house in order. But don't tell anyone...
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 1:29pm

TG - work not agreeing with you? Not your usual tolerant self today.
Love you too, buddy Hug

I'm only intolerant of people that want to force me to do things their way. It pisses me off. I don't want to live under *EITHER* side's tyranny. The problem is that, at the moment, the Democrats are the source of the tyranny. In a few years, the Republicans will draw my ire.

I personally like it when government is split as hell because it ensures that nothing will get done by either side. The more those idiots get involved, the worse things are for all of us.

I worry every day about stuff like the Chinese economy tanking either when their housing bubble bursts, or their one child policy finally leads to an unsustainable workforce/retiree ratio and they start calling in debts that we can't repay. "Stuff" is coming down the pipeline and we're not in good enough shape to handle it. While we might not agree on how to get there, I couldn't agree with you more about getting our fiscal house in order. But don't tell anyone...

They can call in all the debts they want, you can't squeeze water out of a rock.

And they are definitely not going to risk an actual shooting war with us over it.

But you're right, there are BAAAAD things coming down the pipe that we're not going to like. In particular the Piper needs to be paid and we've been putting him off for far too long.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 2:29pm
Can we give them Washington DC?
Longtime Reader View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longtime Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 3:49pm
In my 65+ years in this country I have never seen such a blatant disregard for other Americans by a group who claims to be patriots. It looks to me like these people want to destroy America and they won't be happy u till they either do it or change are country into some form of dictatorship.

I guess I still have hope that there are a few rational republicans left who can see through this
Do what I want or I'll burn the place down

I've been around a good long time and I have never witnessed this kind foolish disregard for our constitution, Democracy, and just basic common sense

Good luck to you all, it looks like we have a political party who wants to destroy the United States and e wry one who calls it home regardless of party

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Longtime Reader Longtime Reader wrote:

In my 65+ years in this country I have never seen such a blatant disregard for other Americans by a group who claims to be patriots. It looks to me like these people want to destroy America and they won't be happy u till they either do it or change are country into some form of dictatorship.

I guess I still have hope that there are a few rational republicans left who can see through this
Do what I want or I'll burn the place down

I've been around a good long time and I have never witnessed this kind foolish disregard for our constitution, Democracy, and just basic common sense

Good luck to you all, it looks like we have a political party who wants to destroy the United States and e wry one who calls it home regardless of party

Yeah, those Democrats are a bad bunch.

You know, not passing a budget in how many years?

Thankfully the Republicans are resisting a wannabe Dictator. They're doing exactly what they should have been doing for three years now.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 5:37pm
We Need to Have Empathy for Tea Partiers

By Michael Bader, D.M.H.
Created Mar 5 2010 - 10:01am
 These tea-party folks seem to most liberals-well, to most of us who live in the "reality community," or, as I like to call it, "reality"-like crazy types.

As a recent NY Times article reports, this hodgepodge of people and groups spout frankly paranoid beliefs as received wisdom, e.g. the Federal Reserve is our enemy and should be abolished, citizens should stock up on ammo, gold, and survival food in anticipation of an impending Civil War, states should "nullify" federal laws and even secede, medical records are being shipped to federal bureaucrats, the Army is seeking "Internment/Resettlement" specialists, Obama is trying to create crises in order to destroy the economy, convert Interpol into his personal police force, and create a New World Order. Conspiracy theories involving shadowy elites like the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations have resurfaced. Self-defense and armed resistance are frequently called for. Racist stereotypes, innuendo, and hostility run rampant. The Constitution is its sacred text and Glenn Beck its most beloved prophet. They don't usually wear aluminum hats but perhaps they should.

I hate these folks but I also understand them. And, well, uh, I also empathize with them. They share the same psychology as the paranoid patients I treat every day. The only difference is that the paranoid beliefs of the tea-party movement are political while those in my consulting room are of a more personal nature.

The causes and dynamics, however, are the same. And so just as I have empathy for my patients, I have come to have empathy for the tea-party'ers, even as I despise their influence and work hard to defeat their ideology. It's crucial that progressives do likewise because if we don't understand the ways that decent, god-fearing, and victimized people can come to espouse such a dangerous ideology, we won't be able to fight them effectively.

I treat people who are paranoid all the time. Sometimes they're only mildly paranoid. For example, someone I treat can't tolerate blame of any kind, can't take any responsibility for failures, and can't really be optimistic about the potential goodness in others. It's always someone else's fault. Other times, they're more severely paranoid. A patient I saw spun tale after tale of slights, interpreted innocuous events as malignant, saw conspiracies everywhere, and always imputed malevolence to others' motives. The most extreme cases can be found in the delusions of schizophrenics.

There isn't one cause of paranoia. Tomes have been written about it. Individual variations and exceptions abound. A few generalizations, however, can be made. Paranoid people are trying their best to make sense of and mitigate feelings of helplessness and worthlessness. Their beliefs are attempts to solve a profound problem, albeit in ways that distort reality.

People can't tolerate feeling helpless and self-hating for very long. It's too painful. It's too demoralizing, too frightening. They have to find an antidote. They have to make sense of it all in a way that restores their sense of meaning, their feeling of agency, their self-esteem, and their belief in the possibility of redemption. They have to. They have no choice. That's just the way the mind works.

The paranoid strategy is to generate a narrative that finally "explains it all." A narrative-a set of beliefs about the way the world is and is supposed to be--helps make sense of chaos. It reduces guilt and self-blame by projecting it onto someone else. And it restores a sense of agency by offering up an enemy to fight. Finally, it offers hope that if "they"-the enemy, the conspirators--can be avoided or destroyed, the paranoid person's core feelings of helplessness and devaluation will go away.

Take an extreme case. Someone I saw years ago had a paranoid delusion that orbiting satellites were trying to control his mind. He went to great lengths to insulate his apartment so as to repel these psychic assaults. When I got to know him better, I discovered that he developed this delusion as a way to make sense of an on-going but terrifying experience--the genesis of which lay in his childhood--that he wasn't a separate person and didn't have the right to his own thoughts. This terrifying feeling of helpless vulnerability was rendered comprehensible to him by his delusion about orbiting satellites. In a paradoxical way, his delusion reduced his terror even as it generated its own fears and dangers.

Another patient I saw had a daughter who was mentally retarded. When the daughter's disability was discovered, he felt so helpless and guilty (normal feelings that were exaggerated by experiences from his own childhood) that he slowly developed the belief that the daughter had been the unwitting victim of sexual abuse by relatives, that this abuse had led to various cognitive arrests, and that treatment for the abuse could and would restore her to normalcy. In this way, he negated his guilt, and momentarily overcame his helplessness through a heroic search for a therapeutic "cure."

While extreme cases, these vignettes illustrate the core truth about paranoia, namely, that it is an attempt to lessen unbearable feelings of self-blame and powerlessness. In this special sense, psychotherapists understand paranoid beliefs as attempts at adaptation and self-healing, even as these beliefs compromise the ability to test reality and invariably create suffering of their own.

Paranoid beliefs about Obama and the government promulgated by the ultra-right have a similar genesis and meaning. In the Times story about the tea-party movement, the writer describes how most tea-party activists are not loyal Republicans. "They are frequently political neophytes," he writes, "who prize independence and tell strikingly similar stories of having been awakened by the recession. Their families upended by lost jobs, foreclosed homes and depleted retirement funds, they said they wanted to know why it happened and whom to blame."

They began listening to Beck, reading the Federalist Papers, books by Ayn Rand and George Orwell, and started visiting radical right wing websites. The Times writer then makes a crucial observation: "Many describe emerging from their research as if reborn to a new reality." In other words, like my patients, the tea party folks find in their paranoid views about politics a narrative that "explains it all," that reduces their sense of helpless confusion, and that channels their feelings of victimization into ones of self-righteous militancy. They go from passive victim to active agent, from guilty to innocent, but all at the price of distorting reality into one full of malevolent conspiracies.

The payoff is that they are no longer confused. They are reborn and now, thankfully, have the "answer." And that answer is that big forces are hurting and enslaving them.

And while these forces include the banks and large corporations, the main culprit is, of course, the government. People don't have a direct and immediate experience of Goldman Sachs. The do, however, experience government every day, not only on television news shows, but via laws, taxes, public services (or the lack thereof), law enforcement, etc.

Lots of people feel guilty and helpless, of course, and most don't become paranoid. Some become simply depressed or resigned, others turn to strategies of distraction or addictive self-medication. Others might face their feelings more directly, tolerate them, and find alternative solutions, e.g. turn to friends, therapists, or various communities of support. Still others may find relief for painful feelings by projecting all meaning and agency onto God. And some simply fight back against "reality," despite long odds. The psychological reasons that one person turns to paranoia and another seeks a healthier solution are not generally known.

It is also obvious that left wing conspiracy theorists share much of the same pathology as those on the right wing of the spectrum.

For new tea-party members, however, the drift toward paranoia is facilitated by the right-wing media machine that offers several ready-made narratives perfectly designed to help its consumers clear up their confusion, understand their helplessness, absolve them of any blame, and offer a way out. The conspiratorial alliance of business and government, a growing tyranny intended to disenfranchise, disarm, and exploit ordinary citizens, secret pacts to overthrow the constitution, etc. all currently led by an un-American, godless, colored, elitist, contemptuous, foreigner--Barack Hussein Obama. A grim and frightening picture of the world to be sure.

Psychologically speaking, however, it offers relief from helplessness and a sense that things are falling apart. It offers a sense of cohesion and identity based on certainty, a commonality of interests, innocence, and even martyrdom. While the world of the tea-party'ers is filled with danger, it is a danger mitigated by moral certainty, clarity of purpose, and a definable external enemy.

The "problem," then, is not the paranoid story line but the anxiety, helplessness, and pain that generate it. And that pain is not irrational or crazy. It's real. We all feel it. Most of us do feel helpless in relation to the most important aspects of our lives, from the nature of our work to its security, from our politicians who are on the corporate dole to those perpetuating gridlock through their narrow ideology, from the quality of our health care to its availability, and from the isolation and loneliness of everyday social life.

The pain of self-blaming is also ubiquitous in the cultural assumption that our lot in life is determined primarily by individual ability, not by getting help from others. Confusion, anxiety, disconnectedness, and a sense that "things are falling apart" are not crazy feelings. They are accurate and valid responses to a highly alienated and often abusive social world.

The "problem" is that tea-party activists move from legitimate feelings and normal longings to paranoid political positions that are dangerous and cruel. But because these positions serve an important psychological function, because they resolve an emotional dilemma, they can't be changed by rational argument. I have never been able to help a paranoid patient even a little bit by arguing with his or her view of reality. Not one bit. The only way I have been able to make any headway is use our relationship to provide real experiences that have a shot at providing an alternative and more satisfying "solution" to their underlying fears. Only then can I begin to offer a counter-narrative, one that acknowledges their pain and innocence, but enables them to more accurately identify its sources and, therefore, its antidote.

Perhaps the progressive movement shouldn't waste its time dealing with the tea-party movement except as a spur to get our own house-and movement-in order. A legitimate argument can be made that these people are, simply, the enemy and that our challenge is to build progressive majorities immune to their sabotage and interference. But I would argue that to the extent we want to reach people who are drawn to tea-party, patriot, libertarian, and other right wing movements but are not yet hard-line ideologues, or prevent others from becoming so, we have to begin with empathy. We have to get inside their heads, figure out how their choices are reasonable from their point of view.

It would help if we found ways to get into relationship with them, to demonstrate a genuine curiosity not about their paranoid theories but about the underlying pain and fear that is the source of them. In this way, perhaps we can figure out how to speak to that pain and fear in ways that are both authentic and comforting. Perhaps we can figure out what experiences they might need to have in order to feel safe enough to at least listen to another narrative-ours.

Source URL: http://www.psychologytoday.com/node/39146

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 5:51pm
What a bunch of BULL*****
WHAT TO DO????
Taxman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 8:39pm
The Republican party as I see it are:
the party of can't, fear, and they
Divisive,  intolerant, Ideologues that are
lacking in compassion and empathy
Negative, condescending and racist
Know all the answers, as long as you don't ask them to be specific
Don't believe in science, but trust preachers
Claim to be Christian, with actions that mock Jesus teachings
Believe in individual freedom as long as your not a women
Will fight for the life of a baby, until they are born
Believe that Government is the root of all evil
Believe poor people are lazy, and people in general are bad
Believe that Corporations can be trusted to do the right thing

As you can see I don't have a very positive view.  This coming from a person that voted for Reagan and Bush twice.  The republican party I new is long gone, and I don't know what to make of it. The only way the Republican's to regain power now with the changing demographics is to destroy the Union and hope to come out of the crisis in power.  And yes, I don't feel good about it. 
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 8:49pm

Democrats/Republicans

essentially different sides of the same coin

I no longer buy into the right / left bull sh_t

George Carlin had it right years ago

http://youtu.be/eY3JufoapBU

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Taxman Taxman wrote:

the party of can't, fear, and they
Divisive,  intolerant, Ideologues that are
lacking in compassion and empathy
Negative, condescending and racist
Know all the answers, as long as you don't ask them to be specific
Don't believe in science, but trust preachers
Claim to be Christian, with actions that mock Jesus teachings
Believe in individual freedom as long as your not a women
Will fight for the life of a baby, until they are born
Believe that Government is the root of all evil
Believe poor people are lazy, and people in general are bad
Believe that Corporations can be trusted to do the right thing

As you can see I don't have a very positive view.  This coming from a person that voted for Reagan and Bush twice.  The republican party I new is long gone, and I don't know what to make of it. The only way the Republican's to regain power now with the changing demographics is to destroy the Union and hope to come out of the crisis in power.  And yes, I don't feel good about it. 

Very well put, Taxman Thumbs Up
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 12:35pm
The writing skills here and the views expressed are certainly powerful and deserve a careful read and consideration.  These are long, fairly well written and seem to represent multiple sides in this discussion. 

There are opinions, also classic political opposites in many ways, name calling and a high level of emotional content in some parts of this thread.  No doubt, the American people, as those of any nation look for several main qualities in our leader. One is the ability to be a commander-in-chief and command the military. Second is the wisdom to touch the hearts of the American people in empathy and understanding  as a human being. The "Fireside Chats" as delivered by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, gave us such a man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireside_chats

Roosevelt's cheery voice and demeanor played him into the favor of citizens and he soon became one of the most popular presidents ever, often affectionately compared to Abraham Lincoln.

^ Eric Foner, Give Me Liberty! An American History, page 759.

Third, and most important in some ways, some sort of connection to a higher power or knowledge which sets him or her up as one able to make decisions with intuition and mastery while at the same time listening to his or her allies and enemies carefully.

There, except from some religious leaders who have been claimed to have reached perfection or very near to it, are no perfect leaders nor have there ever been.  Some are truly exceptional and will go down in history as men or women, as the case may be in these times of female liberation and freedom, as truly worthy of statues and memorials. Others, either will go down as less than noteworthy, and a few as having done very poorly in leading a country.

If I had one thing to say in this it would be ... pause. Consider all the views, all the implications of acts and policies, and putting aside political aspects, look at the situation and make the best choice for the American people as a whole; the choice which most clearly will fulfill what has been promised with whatever resources we have, to make good those promises.

I certainly have enjoyed reading these posts and whatever the content. There is much to think over here. 

Medclinician

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Pixie Pixie wrote:

Wall of text, TL:DR

You know, I find it funny that you, and Liberals in general, don't know what the hell the Tea Party stood for in the least, but you're more than content to call us a bunch of paranoid racists.

Especially when the real racists are the Democrat party and the average liberal who are happy to create several total slave races to garner votes for your candidates and your failed policies.

"No, No, it's okay Mr. Black guy, we'll keep the welfare flowing, you just keep voting for us."

Sound familiar? Sucks when it's the truth.

Secondly, I remember you idiot liberals howling about the excesses of the Bush administration, and now you're totally mum about Zer0. Why is that? No War. No Blood For Oil. No Invasion of Iraq. Yet you're a bunch of frikin' warmongers when you're trying to wag the heck out of a dog. Your President tried to have us go to war backing a sworn enemy we've spent thousands of lives and trillions of dollars trying to fight for the last fifteen years. The only thing that saved us was a Russian leader making that idiot look worse than amateur. He positively made Zer0 look like a weak fool to not only our enemies, but our friends too.

Had Bush dared pull half the crap Zer0 has, you'd have called for articles of Impeachment, AND IT WOULD HAVE WORKED BECAUSE THEY'D HAVE BEEN RIGHT!

We've got a President that willfully let American heros die on a rooftop because the week before he said Al Qaeda was dead, and to hide the fact that they were supplying an Al Qaeda linked group with advanced MANPADS. Oh, yeah, that was a Youtube video that brought that on. Bullschit. It was another in a long line of failures.

Then you squeal a little about guns? The same guns your joke of a leader gave to Mexican cartels to murder Mexicans and Americans? All so he could try to create public opinion against the 2nd Amendment? If that wasn't true, then why did he invoke executive privledge?

The same President that he himself ordered the IRS to hound conservative groups? Had Bush tried something like that, they'd have run him out on a rail, and rightly so.

How about the continued corruption when it comes to Soylindra or the fifteen other "Enviro-Friendly Technology" companies that got billions?

So before you wet your liberal pants that I've dared tell you that not only are you following a false prophet, but are ignorant as hell for doing so, understand that your guy is literally the dirtiest the world has ever known.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 2:29pm

1.the party of can't, fear, and they
2.Divisive,  intolerant, Ideologues that are
3.lacking in compassion and empathy
4.Negative, condescending and racist
5.Know all the answers, as long as you don't ask them to be specific
6.Don't believe in science, but trust preachers
7.Claim to be Christian, with actions that mock Jesus teachings
8.Believe in individual freedom as long as your not a women
9.Will fight for the life of a baby, until they are born
10.Believe that Government is the root of all evil
11.Believe poor people are lazy, and people in general are bad
12.Believe that Corporations can be trusted to do the right thing

Seriously? Are you that dense? Jesus Christ, I dont even have to try with you. Democrats and Liberals especially are, as surprising as it can be, *WORSE* than the Republicans. The difference is that they're YOUR party so you look past their excesses. Grow some intellectual integrity.

1. Like what? Like you *CAN'T* borrow your way to fiscal responsibility? We *CAN'T* Go on throwing money at every problem? Because everything you Libs have done has worked *SO* well. Seriously, look at everything this President has done. Cite a single success. Just one. I'll wait.

Even those that normally fully support you and your failed policies are openly mocking you. Jon Stewart lampooned Sibelius for an hour. I'm surprised she made it through the commercial break! I almost felt sorry for her after the first comment, then remembered that she is nothing but a schill, and laughed my way through the rest of that interview. 

2. Oh you did not just go there. You're going to dare call anyone more divisive, intolerant or more of an ideologue than Zer0? Are you kidding or are you actually that stupid? Yes, you actually probably believe that. Zer0 has literally set racial relations back thirty years.

3. Compassion is creating the conditions that will let people make themselves prosperous. Pulling what you goons are doing, just giving people enough to get by, is the direct opposite of that.  

4. Racist? You're an ignorant moron. You're the real racist. Look at what your party's policies have done to Blacks and Hispanics. 100% destroyed any semblance of a family and forced them right back into soft slavery.

How about squealing that if He had a son, he'd look like a gangbanger, pothead, criminal to gin up what just about turned into a race war? If you're going to talk about racism, let's look at your guy first.

5. I've given many, many direct specific answers and handled you and your other paid Liberal without even trying, wanna go for round three?

6. Eh? Wide brush there bro. Especially considering that I'm significantly more educated in science and economics than you. English too, but that goes without saying.

7. Dumbass, I'm not a Christian. I'm not even a Republican, and the vast majority of your list can be turned around and used directly against the Democrats too.

8. What are you talking about? Both sides are 100% guilty of this. Both sides say, "I should be able to do whatever I want, but those people over there, they shouldn't be allowed to do that, we need to make a law!"

9. A woman's right to choose shall not be infringed. I 100% agree with that statement and it's high time the Republicans got the hell away from that issue. It's settled. 

11. Being poor is a choice. I chose not to be poor though I grew up far below the poverty line. Probably farther than where you now sit. If you make poor life choices, chances are you're going to be poor. The real problem is that we as a country throw people more money living off the government dime than they'll make working their asses off. It only makes sense that they'll sit on ass and reap that government check. If I didn't care anymore, I'd love to sit on ass and get money for doing jack.  

10 & 12. So let me get this straight: Government never does the wrong thing, and corporations never do the right thing? Really? When was the last time Government did the right thing? I work for the government, the amount of wastefulness and fraud is breathtaking. Seriously, rub those two neurons together and think a time that government did the right thing. You'll find that they do the wrong thing far more than corporations and industry do. Corporations do what they do to make money. Government, being in the business of wasting time and money, routinely does the wrong thing. At least the corporations occasionally do the right thing, but they're doing it just to make money.
If your complaint is that they're just doing whatever it is they do for money, then by all means, make that argument. But to say with one breath that government is all that is good, while corporation are all that is bad is, for lack of a better word, ignorant.

So let me get this straight: You voted three times for Republicans ostensibly because they were good candidates, then you vote ofr and support an out and out Dictatorial Socialist? Seriously, just stop now, you're either a a liar or a moron.
Concerned guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Concerned guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 4:05pm
Turboguy

You loosing it, it sounds like your life revolves around admitted dillusionsl rightwing talking points and if anyone has a different thought than the radicals now trying to walk us off a cliff you attack them with childish name calling

My guess is you are one of the Koch brother puppets

Tea party fool

And I use the word fool because the whole damn thing is a political theatrical con

Wake the f up idiot before you all destroy our great country

Notice the Koch brothers released a letter today trying to distance themselves from the crazies they bank rolled

Amazing
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 4:28pm

NBC/WSJ poll: Shutdown debate damages GOP

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

"The Republican Party has been badly damaged in the ongoing government shutdown and debt limit standoff, with a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finding that a majority of Americans blame the GOP for the shutdown, and with the party’s popularity declining to its lowest level."

"Just 24 percent of respondents have a favorable opinion about the GOP, and only 21 percent have a favorable view of the Tea Party, which are both at all-time lows in the history of poll."

but then there is this...

"Just 14 percent believe the nation is headed in the right direction – a 16-point drop from last month."

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

"Just 14 percent believe the nation is headed in the right direction – a 16-point drop from last month."

That's because heading for a cliff with Cruz pulling on the steering wheel from the back seat and Boehner reaching across from the passenger side and pushing on the gas pedal is generally not the direction most people would like to be heading.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:18pm

well it worked for Thelma and Louise 

oh

wait...Big smile

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

well it worked for Thelma and Louise 

oh

wait...Big smile

LOLLOLLOLLOL
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 5:24pm
TG

Your losing it man, your not a republican (LOL)

Man that was a belly laugh

You really shouldn't get in to these name calling and personal bashing over politics, its just not worth it.

As far as this current BS goes WOW, I think its funny watching the Radical Radical Right choosing to use terrorist tactics to get their way (LOL). You would think they would get it after an election where you badly lost the presidency, lost seats in the senate, and lost seats in the house.

Like I said earlier we are all living in interesting times and in this case watching a Political Party commit Suicide right on center stage

Funny part is they don't even get it

Get More Radical  (LOL)
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 6:27pm
Whats scary is you people dont seem to get it!! 24% of us do!
WHAT TO DO????
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 6:55pm
37% favorable opinion of President Oboma.I wonder were the other 63% are leaning. Something for you to think about .
WHAT TO DO????
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:05pm
You People huh

Them   They        (LOL)

So what

Time to declare war another group of Americans, that's the strategy  seriously

Good Luck With That

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:35pm
Can't say that the verbal unloading you just handed out was your best work, TG. "Dense", "Ignorant moron" and implying that the poster lacks "intellectual integrity" are probably not the best responses from admin when the poor guy was just expressing a heartfelt opinion about the party he used to vote for. I know you've called me worse in the past, but I'm sure you understand that I really don't care so no offense taken, but Taxman didn't deserve that.  It also makes any position you take after that a little less convincing (like I was convinced anyway LOL) when you start insulting someone and throwing your weight around. We know you're a big guy, but it's the internet so...

It seems that you missed something - Taxman's post was about the Republican party in general, and last time I looked that's not you. As far as I can recall, you've never even called yourself a Republican before, and you just confirmed it in your post. Libertarian maybe, but never a Republican. So why are you getting all defensive of a party that you've never shown a lot of love for, and why are you answering criticisms as if they're leveled directly at you? You constantly criticize the GOP's policies, hate their last Presidential candidate, just called the speaker of the house "Orange Boner" (okay - that was funny). In fact, I think I'm more Republican than you at times.
Your personal responses in points 5, 6, 7 and 11 are moot, irrelevant and, quite frankly, a little disturbing in their leanings toward delusions of grandeur. You're one guy on the internet, not a major political party, TG. I'll say it again - it's not always about you, so get over it, buddy. Serious overreaction and not pretty.

Oh, and your other responses didn't hold a lot of water either, but I'm sure we'll get back to that Thumbs Up

BTW Taxman - welcome and feel free to post. Verbal abuse and name calling are normal around here if you dare to question certain people's views, so don't feel too special Wink

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by DANNYKELLEY DANNYKELLEY wrote:

Whats scary is you people dont seem to get it!! 24% of us do!

Nice one - up there with your other more insightful posts Thumbs Up
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 12:25pm
There is a serious discrepancy and inaccuracy in many of the polls being sited.   Often the sampling is far from representing the American people. The first and most significant factor is asking voters as opposed to the general population. Voters are definitely a rather specific filter that indicates there is more focus on getting elected than what are the real feelings, concerns, and will of the American people.

In addressing some of the statements here about who is being blamed for the current shutdown and if it will seriously hurt the Republican party, it is not a great a spread of percentage points as one might think.

In one poll, the was only a difference of 4%. 61% blamed the Republican party and 57% blamed the Democrats. A more current poll shows a spread of 6%.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/08/in-new-poll-americans-blame-everyone-for-government-shutdown/

Take a look at these numbers-

According to the survey, 63 percent of those questioned said they were angry at Republicans, with 57 percent also angry at Democrats, and 53 percent unhappy with President Obama. Nearly half of those surveyed said the shutdown has caused major problems.

Obviously, the presidency and executive branch is taking a huge hit despite the continued focus on the Republicans.

There is perhaps a better perspective which is much more simple than in depth analysis of a thousand and one facts versus simple realities which are much easier for the average person to understand.

The shutdown is political. The primary concern of the central government is focused on politics and votes versus the actual well being or freedom of the people.  Each new administration will leave its mark and legacy in history by what happened in its duration.

People are suffering. In contrast to the statement "people choose to be poor and could be rich if they wanted to" which is grossly inaccurate. Perhaps more in other nations than America, but children born into poverty do not choose to be poor.  Not everyone was born into a rich family or financially well off.

While once rich and born into financial security, some of us have seen the rich and extremely well-educated- PHDs in homeless shelters and dying on blankets while sleeping in the bushes.  These people worked at top universities or companies and with the crashing economy, became a part of the new face of the poor and homeless.

A vast number of financially challenged people are not all of a single color, religion, on drugs, alcoholics, or criminals.  On any given night, 200,000 veterans may be homeless and sleeping in the dirt or on concrete.

It is the responsibility of the government to take care of its people.  Some people help support it financially, some do not.  They still exist and cannot be removed by denying them health care and letting them die. 

The point here, and there is one- all the why's in the world do not create a single positive solution to the problems.  What is needed is solutions versus analysis.  FDR (president) was a man who did such a thing. His reforms and response to the unemployed brought us out of the Great Depression. 

http://www.kellysite.net/Roose1930.htm

And in the 1930s, Roosevelt was almost the only leader of an important country who was not either a barbarous dictator, or an appeaser of barbarous dictators, or an ineffectual ditherer. For these reasons, as well as his genius as a war leader, he is rightly judged the greatest American president since Lincoln

Leadership is not something based on advisers and experts to compensate for a lack of knowledge or the basic ability to make the right decisions and intuitively know the correct course of action.

So begging the question - what actions should be taken now in view of the situation to pull America out of this?

1) Identify the course of action not based on politics which will improve the economy, strengthen foreign respect and confidence.

2) Work with the legislature and the representatives of the people continually until the crisis is over. Stay up nights and vote late into the night to make it a top priority until it is fixed.

3) Work around the superstars and powerful leaders to reach the others and gain support for reform and votes which will pass bills and handle each issue separately until they are all resolved.

IMHO Medclinician

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 8:14pm

oh goodness

bad news

Rush Limbaugh had to go on "welfare"Cry

too bad

sooo sad

Welfare Queen Limbaugh May Have to Find Another Tit

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/11/1246489/-Welfare-Queen-Limbaugh-May-Have-to-Find-Another-Tit

maybe we could have a telethon or somethingTongue

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 7:54pm
For a former drug addict...? Wink
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 11:54am

Can't say that the verbal unloading you just handed out was your best work, TG. "Dense", "Ignorant moron" and implying that the poster lacks "intellectual integrity" are probably not the best responses from admin when the poor guy was just expressing a heartfelt opinion about the party he used to vote for. I know you've called me worse in the past, but I'm sure you understand that I really don't care so no offense taken, but Taxman didn't deserve that.  It also makes any position you take after that a little less convincing (like I was convinced anyway LOL) when you start insulting someone and throwing your weight around. We know you're a big guy, but it's the internet so...

He never voted that way, that's just an attempt at credibility through kinsmanship. It was a load of crap, and he knew it was crap.

I didn't throw my weight, that'd involve just deleting posts, anathema to me.

Now calling an idiot and idiot... well...
It seems that you missed something - Taxman's post was about the Republican party in general, and last time I looked that's not you. As far as I can recall, you've never even called yourself a Republican before, and you just confirmed it in your post. Libertarian maybe, but never a Republican. So why are you getting all defensive of a party that you've never shown a lot of love for, and why are you answering criticisms as if they're leveled directly at you? You constantly criticize the GOP's policies, hate their last Presidential candidate, just called the speaker of the house "Orange Boner" (okay - that was funny). In fact, I think I'm more Republican than you at times.
[/quote] 

In some ways you probably are more "Republican" than I am. Potentially more Conservative too. That said, the reason I get miffed is because people in glass houses should be throwing rocks. He acts like everything the Democrats do is great, and everything the Republicans do is bad/wrong... Badong.  

Worse yet is the cowtowing to a genuinely bad policy in leadership. This guy is doing *EXACTLY* the things the Liberals were howling about less than eight years ago as if any of which might bring about the apocalypse. Now it's A-Okay!

Again, Intellectual integrity.

Oh, and your other responses didn't hold a lot of water either, but I'm sure we'll get back to that Thumbs Up

Your opinion. They're a lot like assholes.

You can defend the goon as much as you want. He's still wrong.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 12:04pm
Nice to have you back, TG. Been awful quiet here. We even had to resort to talking about flu and stuff Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic