Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

China processed chicken coming to U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
OriginalHappyCamper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OriginalHappyCamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China processed chicken coming to U.S.
    Posted: October 27 2013 at 5:32pm
These type of comments are one of the reasons why I became a vegetarian in 1979. The hormones that they started feeding slaughter animals, to get them to market faster$$$, are causing the children of today to go through puberty at the ages of 8 to 10 instead of 14 to 16 as in the period before the 50's. 

I wonder what the effects of the GMO food will be 50 years from now?

We raise our own.

He died and was risen on the third day
Newbie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 5:08pm
This is why I've chosen to hatch, raise, butcher & eat my own poultry! ALL the H#N# (bluntly put) scare the poop out of me! I try to buy locally grown grain (non gmo) and mix my own feed - it its a huge amount of work, I get (overly) attached to some of the birds & it terrifies me to think that after all the work & $'s into this if a pandemic breaks out the govt could come & cull all - with no compensation either!!!
We have NO control over what is our foods in North America - all you have to do is looks at the millions being spent by Monsanto, DuPont, Coca Cola/Pepsi, Hershey's, Cambells etc to BLOCK labelling laws that would let consumers know what's in pkg & make their own choice whether to buy of not - to know that in this part of the world - money is the ONLY thing that matters : (
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 12:52pm
FRESH & LOCAL: Chinese processed chicken is coming to U.S.
Bryant Osborn | Posted 12 minutes ago

Here is an important story that I am willing to bet you have not heard before, because it got almost zero coverage. Up until now, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has ruled that Chinese poultry processing does not meet U.S. standards, so the USDA has not allowed poultry processed in China to be imported into the U.S.

That changed over the Labor Day weekend. The web site TheNewAmerican.com reports that the USDA has changed that policy and quietly lifted its restriction on importing poultry processed in China into the United States. And there will not be U.S. inspectors on site at the processing plants in China. The USDA notified the Chinese in an official letter dated Aug. 31. This change should concern you.

But here is the part that should make you mad. The USDA is afraid that U.S. consumers might decline to buy poultry from China, so the imported poultry will not require a country-of-origin label. In other words, there will be no way for you to know that the poultry came from China. So much for your right to make informed decisions about the food you eat.

You might recall the recent outbreaks of the H5N1 and H7N9 strains of the avian bird flu over the last decade in China. From 2004 through 2007, the H5N1 bird flu resulted in the deaths of 332 people. Earlier this year, the more dangerous H7N9 strain broke out among live chickens in China’s fresh meat markets. H7N9 is reported to have infected 110 people and claimed 23 lives.

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) sent a letter protesting the decision to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. In his letter, Sen. Brown said, “Given the well-documented shortcoming of the Chinese food safety system, we shouldn’t allow unmarked meat into our markets that is processed in Chinese facilities that are not subject to food safety inspections. This action could endanger the health and safety of American consumers and potentially undermines confidence in our nation’s food safety standards.”

I agree with that.

You should also keep in mind that the Chinese now own Smithfield Foods, the largest pork producer in the world.

Here is another related story that you also probably never heard because it also got almost no coverage. The FDA said on Tuesday that nearly 600 dogs and cats have died and more than 3,600 have been sickened after eating chicken, duck and sweet potato flavored jerky treats manufactured in China.

What is truly frightening about this is that the FDA cannot figure out the cause of the illnesses, despite thousands of tests for contaminants and visits to the pet jerky manufactures in China.

The web site GlobalPost.com quoted Dr. Bernadette Dunham, the FDA's veterinary medicine chief as saying, “This is one of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we've encountered.” Just one of the most mysterious?

The web site also quoted Kendal Harr, a veterinary clinical pathologist, as saying, “I think that what it tells us is that the intoxicant is something that we're not used to dealing with as a toxin in North America.”

Welcome to the wild, wild world of Chinese food processing.

I have said this before, but it is worth repeating: My friend Michael Olson hosts a weekly nationally syndicated radio show called Food Chain Radio, and he has three ‘Laws of the Food Chain.’ Law #2 is, “The farther we go from the source of our food, the less control we have over what’s in that food.”

Locally grown food has some very significant benefits. One of those benefits is that you can be sure that it didn’t come from China.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/starexponent/opinion/columnists/fresh-local-chinese-processed-chicken-is-coming-to-u-s/article_4ade1944-3dac-11e3-9760-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic