Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

New article about evolution of H7N9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New article about evolution of H7N9
    Posted: November 26 2013 at 8:21am
I've been watching the avian influenza A viruses for years, and was never of the opinion that the dreaded H5N1 would ever evolve to prefer to cooler human respiratory tract vs. its favorite, warmer avian respiratory tract.  

However, H7N9 has now evolved sufficiently to infect human respiratory cells.  This is not a good sign!  

I wonder how many cases China is covering up?  

Best wishes & Happy Thanksgiving! 

Philadelphia, PA, – A new study has found that a novel avian-origin H7N9 influenza A virus, which has recently emerged in humans, attaches moderately or abundantly to the epithelium of both the upper and lower respiratory tracts. This pattern has not been observed before for avian influenza A viruses. The report, published in theissue of The American Journal of Pathology, suggests that the emerging H7N9 virus has the potential to cause a pandemic, since it may transmit efficiently in humans and cause severe pneumonia.

http://www.thealmagest.com/novel-avian-influenza-virus-potential-virulence-transmissibility-humans/3789

CRS, DrPH
FJH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 6:44am
I also have been watching the Avian flu for a long time but just from a layman's perspective. Of all the cases H7N9 China reported last year, I think, only two were transmitted from person to person. Only one of those, again I think, has been confirmed by the Chinese. In that case a daughter (30's) got from her much older father. In several other reports about her prior to confirmation she got it from her father, was information about the level of home care she had to administer. Such as cleaning up after him, washing him, cleaning soiled clothing, underclothing, bed linens, etc. all by hand. The theory I'm putting out is she got the disease by handing feces not from his repository system. Other diseases have been transmitted this way. Possibly this is why the low person to person transmission. Sanitary precautions in hospitals, etc prevented the large person to person spread. 
Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 7:31am
I agree Chuck with your question, with regard to how many cases China is currently covering up. They wont go public until they've lost full containment, similar to their SARS cover up in 2003.  They kept a lid on the information until they lost control of it.   They are clearly covering up a lot of h7n9 cases and have downplayed human to human transmission.  Only a matter of time now before it leaves China and they're caught yet again in another cover up scheme.  
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 8:11am

I doubt that the chinese government has any idea how many people are dying of influenza in urban areas where they have some access to the health care system much less in rural areas where there's little or no health care!

http://thediplomat.com/2013/03/choking-to-death-the-health-consequences-of-air-pollution-in-china/

Choking to Death:Health Consequences of Air Pollution in China

According to a Chinese public health expert, the nation’s poor air quality is worse than SARS.
Buy more ammo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic