Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Mysterious illness kills 4 in Texas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mysterious illness kills 4 in Texas
    Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:29am
Mystery illness kills 4 patients in Montgomery County

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A mystery illness is going around in Montgomery County, and health officials are trying to figure out what it is, and why four people have died.

Authorities say that in the 2013 influenza season there have been 1,920 cases of influezna-like illnesses within Montgomery County. Montgomery County Public Health District was alerted to eight severe cases at an area facility. Of the eight cases reported, four patients have died.

Currently officials say no diagnosis has been made. Those affected are experiencing flu-like symptoms but have tested negative for common flu strains. The patients are at an unnamed area hospital waiting for further lab test results to determine the nature of the illness.

The patients have ranged in age from 40 to 60, but officials have not confirmed the time period of the illnesses.

Health experts remind residents to use common preventative measures to control the spread of infection, such as frequent hand washing and avoiding school and public places if you have a fever.

Christi Myers will have more on this story this afternoon on ABC13 Eyewitness News. Find Christi on Facebook at ABC13-Christi Myers or on Twitter at @ChristiMyers13

Source
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:51am
Mystery illness claims 4 lives in Montgomery County
By Carol Christian | December 17, 2013 | Updated: December 17, 2013 10:50am

Four of eight patients admitted recently to Montgomery County hospitals have died of a mysterious flu-like illness, officials said.

The patients, ranging in age from 41 to 68, were admitted to the hospital with flu symptoms, but tests for influenza were negative, said Jennifer Nichols-Contella, spokeswoman for the Montgomery County Public Health District.

"We're monitoring the situation and waiting on further lab results," Nichols-Contella said Tuesday.

No details were available Tuesday on the dates of the deaths or hospitalizations, she said.

Although the Montgomery County patients did not test positive for influenza, this is the heart of the U.S. flu season, which typically peaks in January or February, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

During the week ending Dec. 7, four states - Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi - reported high levels of influenza-like illness, the CDC reported. The levels of activity are based upon the percentage of outpatient doctor visits that are due to influenza-like illness, according to the CDC website.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/spring/health/article/Mystery-illness-claims-4-lives-in-Montgomery-5071680.php

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Lillie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:52am
My father passed away Friday. He was 68 years old with no preexisting conditions and no history of drug or alcohol abuse. He had been out cutting down trees in the front yard and thought he had a hernia and pulled muscle in his back. He had diarrhea and flu like symptoms. He was put into a medical coma and given 100% oxygen through life supportb but only showed 80% oxygen blood saturation. He was put on dialysis and he progressively got worse. His daily chest exrays showed his lungs were improving. His doctor was baffled.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:56am
Lillie - I'm so sorry.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Lillie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:58am
He was the 68 year old who was in Conroe Regional Medical Center until he passed away Friday, December 13, 2013. He was hospitalized from Thursday till the following week when he passed away on Friday.
I believe people need to be aware of this illness and take precautions. Wash your hands, where a face make in doctors offices and hospitals and if you don't have a sink near you use antibacterial hand sanitizer.
rymich14 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rymich14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 11:13am
Lillie, is there alot of people with this illness? Have they tested for things like MERS coronavirus, or any other agents? Is there any connection between any of those 8 cases that you know of, and or any travel to the middle east and or china?
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 11:18am
<snipped>

Texas -- Officials with the Montgomery County Health Department are on a mission to find out more about a mystery flu-like illness.

So far, half of the people who have come down with it have died.

According to the health department, all of the patients have had flu-like and/or pneumonia like symptoms. However, all of them have tested negative for the flu.

[link to www.khou.com]

-----

Long time lurker since day one to Member.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 11:26am
The mystery illness in TX is not new:

Mystery illness linked to 2 deaths; doctors stumped
May 11, 2013
[link to www.houstonchronicle.com]
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 11:42am
Not good.  Flu like symptoms, but tested neg for all flu strains?   Should probably test for MERS to rule out all possibilities.   Interesting...
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:05pm
The first H7N9 patient in Hong Kong tested negative twice until they took deep lung samples.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:08pm
I edited my last post, but I also suggested that h7 might not yield a positive for influenza A. Whatever it is, seems to be transmitting rather efficiently.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 12:20pm
Henry Niman does not rule out H1N1pdm09.  A pandemic is not over just like that. Terrible news if things come that close.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 1:52pm
It's not h1n1. Would have been detected
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 2:40pm
I agree with Albert - it's highly unlikely they would have had problems confirming H1N1.
Diligent View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diligent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 3:22pm
This is off topic.
 At this time keeping an eye on radiation sickness may be prudent.
I'm just not sure.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 5:05pm
My initial thought was that MERS would piggy back off h1n1.  The small cluster is a little confusing as h7 and MERS spread at the same rate.   Knowing symptoms would help, although pneumonia and organ failure are the same with both.  h7 would most likely result in lung lesions.  As niman would say, symptoms would be useful.  Stern Smile
Lillie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 6:11pm
The X-rays taken of my father daily showed that his lungs were clearing up but his vital signs and oxygen levels were progressively getting worse. That would rule out lung legions because they are detected through X-rays.
I do know my father had not been out of the country in years when he and my mother went to Cancun. He retired 3 years ago so he and my mother went to Church and the store.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 6:37pm
CONROE, Texas – The investigation into a mysterious illness in Montgomery County is expanding as other hospitals and doctors report similar cases.
The new case files are being reviewed for similarity to the eight at Conroe Regional Medical Center that prompted a Montgomery County Health Department investigation.
Four of those eight patients died and two are still fighting for their lives.
"We don’t currently have a diagnosis for what has caused those illnesses," Montgomery County Medical Director Dr. Mark Escott said.
State and regional health departments have already been notified and are also looking for reports of new cases.
"Other health departments will need to be looking for cases like this to make sure that we haven’t missed cases," Dr. Escot said.

Technically, the illness is classified as an influenza-like illness or ILI. There have been nearly 2,000 ILI cases in Montgomery County this year, but these eight are different.
"Eight serious cases at a local hospital that developed with influenza-like symptoms that developed serious complications, including death for four of those eight patients," said Montgomery County Medical Director Dr. Mark Escott.
At least some of those patients, all between the ages of 41 and 65, developed pneumonia.
They all tested negative for standard strains of the flu, and that is part of the problem.
"The big worry about a situation like this is, ‘Could this be a novel flu of some sort?’" Escott explained. "It could certainly be lots of other viruses or other diseases but that is the big concern."
Wayne and Judith Law recently lost their daughter to a similar illness. Fifty-year-old Gayla Marcantel died last week at a hospital in North Harris County.
"It is just devastating. You see your child lying there, swelling because of all the fluids and they can’t do anything," Judith Law said.

Marcantel was perfectly healthy until she came down with flu-like symptoms about three weeks ago and ended up in ICU.
"They were seemingly doing everything that they could do. It was just a continual thing of trying something new," Judith Law said.
The Laws stayed by their daughter’s side and watched helplessly as she continued to go downhill.
Eventually, her body couldn’t fight anymore and her organs failed.
"We lost her," Judith said through tears. "You have no answers. You rely on what the doctors are telling you, but you still have questions and they really have no answers."
Viewers have contacted us about similar cases in other areas, but experts are just beginning to look at additional cases.
The health department in Montgomery County is urging everyone to do their part to prevent any illness from spreading: wash hands frequently; cover your cough but don’t cough into your hands; stay home if you’re sick; and get to the doctor within the first 48 hours of illness.

Source
rymich14 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rymich14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Lillie Lillie wrote:

The X-rays taken of my father daily showed that his lungs were clearing up but his vital signs and oxygen levels were progressively getting worse. That would rule out lung legions because they are detected through X-rays.
I do know my father had not been out of the country in years when he and my mother went to Cancun. He retired 3 years ago so he and my mother went to Church and the store.

Did he have any kind of expansive tests, if I would you I would ask them to run a complete screen on him during a autopsy or whatever for H7N9, MERS etc.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:18pm
I'm not sure about the lung lesions and was only a guess, assuming that h7n9 might act similar to h5n1.  China does not release information regarding h7n9 symptoms, treatment, etc.... no information whatsoever.   That's one reason why I don't speak too highly of Chan and the WHO when they praise China for their transparency.  Almost odd when I see that.  Anyway,  It's only a guessing game with what Chinese officials know with regard to symptoms and treatment.  Organ failure is something common with both.

I'm also sorry for your loss Lillie.

Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:29pm
I know a lot of people that have come down with flu like symptoms.  Anyone consider the passing of Comet Ison playing a part in this?  History shows some major pandemics at the same time as comets passing...something about every 333 years?
Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:30pm
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 7:39pm
Interesting Loribeaeme.  Good find.  Kidney failure is obviously a symptom of MERS, although I'm not saying that it is. 

The current survivors being "very sick" is also not the best of signs.
Bam View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:14pm
Health authorities have tested for common strains of the flu using the rapid test. If this is H7N9 (which is consistent with both flu-like symptoms and multiple organ failure) the rapid test would not pick it up.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 9:40pm
This is becoming quite alarming. There are reports of new cases apparently? It also seems a bit odd that they have no time table for other results. I assumed CDC issued tests to all state health centers for H7N9 and MERS-CoV for testing patients. They also haven't said if any of these patients have had any sort of travel either out of the country themselves, or if they've been in contact with someone who has been out of the country recently. Also if you read the comments on the news article page, you see several people in the Houston area also reporting of flu-like illnesses. One poster claims her son had died in a nearby town of the same thing. It could be normal influenza but I've never heard of anything like this.

"Doctors are awaiting test results that could explain what the illness is, but there is no time-table as to when those results could be in.

Montgomery County Health officials told KHOU they are now looking at cases from other hospitals that could be connected to the mystery illness.

The new case files are being reviewed for similarity to the eight cases at Conroe Regional Medical Center that prompted the County Health Department investigation.

The state and regional health departments have already been notified and are also looking for reports of new cases."

http://www.khou.com/news/health/Mother-says-mystery-illness-transformed-son-into-dying-patient-in-days-236319091.html

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 11:09pm
Lillie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kyle, I suspect they are going to want to be 100% certain before they announce it is something nasty like MERS. Any sort of announcement declaring a pandemic will result in social chaos and panic so they will need to be absolutely sure they are right, hence the lack of a time table for results. Personally if I was running it, I'd test and test again and then once more just to be certain. 

It might be a good time to stock up if you haven't already.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
tammy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 5:20am
may god comfort you and your family lilly, so sorry your father suffured so. the only thing incouraging about this awful illness is it has not stricken any children yet. you are brave and to be commended for speaking out to try and help others in your grief. did your dad have coughing and congestion and any fever in the first stages of his illness? thanks and praying for you and your family.
[COLOR=white][/COLOR]
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 5:51am
It looks like it started around Thanksgiving, which would make sense with all the travel - if it's a novel strain or one circulating in another country that we're already aware of.   Whatever it is, it seems to kill rather quickly.  Sounds like h7n9 or something similar, but who knows.  The victim in the following article got sick on his job.  Authorities should monitor others in the work place.

Mother says mystery illness transformed son into dying patient in days

by Drew Karedes / KHOU.com

Posted on December 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Updated today at 7:00 AM

CONROE, Texas – The mother of the youngest of eight confirmed cases of a mystery illness in Montgomery County is sharing her son’s story.

Dathany Reed, 41, wasn’t feeling well on Thanksgiving. He called out sick from his job at the Golden Corral and went to see doctors at Conroe Regional Medical Center.

Odessa Reed says doctors sent her son home with several prescriptions.

She said her son was admitted to the hospital’s emergency room the next day and ended up on life support.

“It doesn’t make sense,” said Odessa Reed. “How can you talk to a person one day, and they say, I’m not feeling good, and the next day, that person is on life support.”

Dathany’s 41st birthday came and went on November 30 while his kidneys and other organs deteriorated.

Family members said goodbye to the father of three on December 5.

“This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to face in my whole life,” cried Odessa Reed. “My son was kind. He was sweet.”

Dathany is one of four patients to have died after contracting the mystery illness.

Doctors say all of the patients have had flu-like and/or pneumonia-like symptoms but have tested negative for standard strains of the flu.

“[I hope they] get a better handle on this before it affects more lives, more families, more people,” explained Odessa Reed. “I want the truth.”

Doctors are awaiting test results that could explain what the illness is, but there is no time-table as to when those results could be in.

Montgomery County Health officials said they are now looking at cases from other hospitals that could be connected to the mystery illness.

The new case files are being reviewed for similarity to the eight cases at Conroe Regional Medical Center that prompted the County Health Department investigation.

The state and regional health departments have already been notified and are also looking for reports of new cases.

Related:

http://www.kens5.com/news/Mother-says-mystery-illness-transformed-son-into-dying-patient-in-days-236360341.html

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 7:12am
It's probably safe to rule out influenza A & B, except for possibly a more difficult one to detect, but doesn't seem like a common seasonal strain at this point.  All of the infected are male, which is also a little similar to the initial MERS outbreak that tilted heavily to primarily infecting males in the beginning.  Odd little bug/situation.  Looks like test results are due today, so it's probably prudent for people to stay tuned.

Four Montgomery County men dead, four hospitalized with mysterious illness

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas -

Health officials are trying to figure out what killed four Montgomery County men and hospitalized four others.

Within the last three weeks, doctors said eight men have come down with a mysterious and dangerous flu-like illness.

"They eventually tested negative for influenza A and B (most common), but then went on to develop severe complications," Montgomery County Hospital District Medical Director Dr. Mark Escott said.  "Part of the ongoing investigation is to sort out what exactly is happening with these patients."

The state health department has asked for specimens, but right now those specimens are being tested by an independent lab.  Results are expected as early as Wednesday.  Surrounding health departments like Harris County have also been notified.

All that is being said about the patients is that they are men from Montgomery County between the ages of 41-65.  All were or are being treated at Conroe Regional Medical Center.

For now, officials are asking people to get immediate treatment for flu-like symptoms but not to worry.

"The important thing is for the public not to be alarmed," Dr. Escott said.  "This may be a coincidence that these eight sick patients happen to be at one hospital and while we investigate, they need to practice normal infection control procedures."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/four-montgomery-county-men-dead-four-hospitalized-with-mysterious-illness/-/1735978/23533172/-/1fy6eb/-/index.html

Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 8:02am
Just check Houston Chronicle.  Did not see an update this morning.  Maybe more coming later.
OriginalHappyCamper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OriginalHappyCamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 8:51am
Lillie, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Did you visit with your father during is illness and have you noticed any change in your or your families heath as of now.

He died and was risen on the third day
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 9:34am
Now I'm starting to wonder if Lillie is doing okay at this point.  Confused

Good question regarding if other family members are showing symptoms.

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:36am
This is really scary if they have had this many days and can't find the results.  Do you guys remember approx 6 months ago about some other unexplained deaths in Texas?  Its so weird.  I wonder how much we can count on true disclosure!  Keep us updated all!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:53am
There seems to be no mention of monitoring family members or work colleagues. if this thing is contagious then there have probably been a large number of people in close contact already.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 3:23pm
This is an official update from Montgomery County Public Health:

12/18/2013
UPDATE: INFLUENZA LIKE ILLNESS ARISES IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY

As of Wednesday afternoon, there has been one confirmed case of H1N1 virus. Of the eight reported cases, four patients have deceased. Of the remaining four cases in an area hospital, one case has tested positive for the H1N1 virus. Two of the patients tested negative for all flu viruses. Montgomery County Public Health District is awaiting test results for the remaining patient. The 2013 Influenza vaccine does protect against the H1N1 virus. At this time no known deaths received the vaccine. 

Based on CDC data, the H1N1 virus is nationally on the rise. It can reasonably be expected that the occurrence of more H1N1 cases will be reported. Public Health Officials will continue to monitor the situation diligently and will provide more information as it is received.

The Montgomery County Public Health District is grateful for Conroe Regional Hospital’s astute physicians who recognized the unusual nature of the illness and began the appropriate testing to reach a diagnosis. 

Montgomery County Public Health District has been in discussion with the Texas Department of State Health Services along with the CDC to coordinate investigation efforts. Despite ongoing investigations, it cannot be emphasized enough that common infection control practices should be followed to prevent the spread of infection. As with common flu strains, some people are more likely to develop flu complications than others. Please reference the CDC’s website,http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm, which further explains the high risk population, including children under the age of 5, adults over the age of 65, and people with certain medical conditions.

It is also recommended that you receive your flu shot. Montgomery County Public Health Clinic is offering the vaccination by appointment, while supplies last. Call (936) 523-5020 to set up an appointment. For any other questions or concerns, please contact the Public Health hotline at (936) 523-5050. The line will be staffed Monday thru Friday from 8AM-5PM, it is for non-media inquiries only.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 4:16pm
So they reached a diagnosis of seasonal flu in one patient, and now it's case closed?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 4:26pm
Wow. Lot of grammatical errors on that pr. If only one has tested positive for h1n1, wonder what the others have/ had. They may hype h1n1 with their great writing, or lack thereof, but the fact still remains that only one tested pos for h1. What about the others? Was the h1 a coinfection?   MERS
jeri View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 10:53pm
My son 37 died yesterday just like your Father. After 5 days on life support they said was Swine flu.and ARDS. He was well one day and back hurt. Thought he had the flu. Tested negative 2 times at dr. Office. That was on a Thur. By Monday was on life support. He had improving xrays then kidne failure set in. Died yesterday. He was a big strong guy too. Never sick. I feel your pain.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 11:55pm
I'm so sorry for your loss, jeri.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:43am
Could it be Pneumonic plague ?

Pneumonic plague occurs when Y. pestis infects the lungs. This type of plague can spread from person to person through the air. Transmission can take place if someone breathes in aerosolized bacteria, which could happen in a bioterrorist attack. Pneumonic plague is also spread by breathing in Y. pestis suspended in respiratory droplets from a person (or animal) with pneumonic plague. Becoming infected in this way usually requires direct and close contact with the ill person or animal. Pneumonic plague may also occur if a person with bubonic or septicemic plague is untreated and the bacteria spread to the lungs.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/plague/factsheet.asp

Symptoms

The most apparent symptom of pneumonic plague is coughing, often with hemoptysis (coughing up blood). With pneumonic plague, the first signs of illness are fever, headache, weakness, and rapidly developing pneumonia with shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and sometimes bloody or watery sputum.[2]

The pneumonia progresses for two to four days and may cause respiratory failure and shock. Patients will die without early treatment, some within 36 hours.

Initial pneumonic plague symptoms can often include:

Fever
Weakness
Headache
Nausea

Rapidly developing pneumonia with:

Shortness of breath
Chest pain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonic_plague
CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:56am
My deepest sympathies with those who have lost a loved one...

I suspect L. pneumophila (Legionnaire's Disease) infection subsequent to a respiratory virus, perhaps H1N1 or some other strain (A or B) of flu going around.  Legionnaire's is very hard to detect and grow; when we studied tissue samples of pneumonia patients from years ago, we found all sorts of it.  It wasn't really identified until the Legionnaire's Outbreak of 1976.  

Let's wait and see how this progresses, I'm guessing that there will be a not-so-mysterious reason for these mortalities, and probably not a new strain of influenza.  

Be safe, everyone.
CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 2:20am

H1N1pdm09 Confirmed As The Mystery Fatal Disease In Texas

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/12181305/H1N1_Mystery_TX_Conf.html

"H1N1pdm09 Confirmed As The Mystery Fatal Disease In Texas
Recombinomics Commentary 23:45
December 18, 2013
As of Wednesday afternoon, there has been one confirmed case of H1N1 virus. Of the eight reported cases, four patients have deceased. Of the remaining four cases in an area hospital, one case has tested positive for the H1N1 virus. Two of the patients tested negative for all flu viruses. Montgomery County Public Health District is awaiting test results for the remaining patient.

The above comments from the Montgomery County Public Health District confirm that the “mystery illness” in the 8 patients at The Conroe Regional Medical Center was H1N1pdm09, as expected. The detail audio report by Dr Mark Escott, Deputy Health Authority, MCDH described classical symptoms for H1N1pdm09, and the age of the patients (41-65) matched those who commonly develop serious complications, including death. Although 95% of the flu in the US, including Texas, is influenza A, and 95% of the influenza A is H1N1pdm09, the rapid test failed to detect the virus in any of the patients (which was the “case definition” for the “mystery disease".)

Claims were made that they patients did not have a common type of influenza, even though patients were infected with the dominant strain currently in circulation. Moreover, the audio noted that flu is more serious in the very young and very old, which is true for H3N2, but is demonstrably false for H1N1pdm09.

The failure to detected the etiological agent in the four fatal cases (which clearly was H1N1pdm09) signals an abysmal health care system which relies on a notoriously insensitive rapid test to misdiagnose critically ill patients.

Unfortunately, the fiasco in Montgomery County is the norm nationwide, where patients needlessly die because hospitals use a lethal test to mis-diagnose influenza."

Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 3:07am
niman may have lost it.  One patient tested positive for h1n1 and for some reason he has spun that into all are h1n1pdm09 positive, even though all the rest tested neg for h1n1pdm09.  3 of the survivors tested neg for the flu (including h1n1pdm9), and the 4 deceased weren't tested.  How niman is coming up with this is somewhat baffling. 

I agree Chuck that Legionnaire's could not be ruled out.
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 6:01am
It would appear to me this is Swine Flu and it will now spread across the United States. The only difference is this strain is much more lethal. The last CDC report of Flu in the U.S. was December 7th. It has been twelve days and still no report.

With the new outbreaks of this, it is likely it will soon no longer be a mystery illness. It will be Swine Flu.

imho
Medclinician - not if but when - original
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 4:19pm
Niman seems to have been somewhat on mark with the h1n1 pandemic strain.  In addition to a possible mutation taking place or a variant at play.  So he's gotten lucky a couple times over the past decade. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic