Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

(severe) flood warnings UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (severe) flood warnings UK
    Posted: February 12 2014 at 2:42am
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx gives you an idea of what is happening there ! An other storm is expected over southern Ireland with gusts up to 100 miles per hour. Parts of the UK can expect a month amount of rain within the coming 72 hours. Since the Thames itself is overflowing slowly by slowly also London is getting problems. The London metropolitan area has 14 milion people living there. 
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 4:11am
Thanks Josh,  We are taking vast a beating from the weather.  The shipping forecast for the area Shannon (Just off the SW tip of Ireland) for the next 24 hours lists force 12.  That is hurricane level.  I know many places have known worse on a semi-regular basis, but this is wildly unusual for our little group of islands.   There is a huge amount of rain on the way in the next 72 hours true, but that is only the start.  The wiggly/kinky jet-stream is stalled over SW UK and one low pressure system after another visits its hell upon us. That month's rain in 72 hours is followed by another month's rain in a similar time frame.  Our ground is already saturated, our rivers are already overflowing and people are already dying.

I am glad I am a prepper.  We bought property up a hill for this reason.  Even here there is too much water.  There is a new stream sprung up just outside my front door.  Travel is dangerous, and We are among the lucky ones.  Thank God we also had the sense to plant lots of trees above us.  Some of the country is experiencing landslides, as if their misery were not already complete!  

England is famous for its rain as is Ireland but this is truly amazing, and Horrible! 
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 4:12am
I'm sorry, I should have posted the shipping forecast link with that post.  Here it is,  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Shannon
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 7:09am
http://www.meteoalarm.eu/ne_NL/0/0/UK016-Wales.html Stay safe and dry Technophobe (and partner). The song "Into each life some rain must fall, but to much is falling in mine" just came up in my head ! It will be summer in a few months !
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 7:38am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26153889 
~Albert Einstein
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 7:38am
Tschnophobe- Thanks for the link. I have not heard or thought about the shipping forecast in years and years. Guess I should look for a link to BBC4 on the net. Hope you and yours stay dry and safe!
Buy more ammo!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 8:22am
Thanks Arirish and thanks Josh - that was a much needed chuckle!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 10:05am
It's even made the 6 oclock news here in New Zealand. The pictures of the flooded Thames are incredible. I feel so sorry for all those people whose homes have flooded. It must be awful to see all your belongings ruined and floodwater brings silt and sewage with it and gets under the floor boards. It takes months to dry out and to clear out. Poor people.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 10:41am
Arirish, the BBC news homepage is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
and the radio 4 one is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 11:27am
Technophobe- Thanks! Is it still on at 0048? I'll have to figure the time differance!
Buy more ammo!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 3:25pm
Arirish, yep 00.48 and just gone midday.  Plus 8 hours from forum time, currently, but may differ during summer when our clocks spring forward 1 hour.
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 2:16pm
We live close to the Pennines so we also are elevated, no flooding for us, but there has been some old trees that have blown down, thankfully no injuries, hoping the big tree that is outside my property line stays upright otherwise we are going to have more than a headache and an open plan house.
There are so many rivers and cannals that are at the maximum capacity and with more rain on the way they are going to burst the banks. the ground is so sodden that it will be quite some time before the land can be prepared for crops.
The wind is picking up as I type, lost fencing Wednesday, gained next doors trampoline and the roof off the shed 2 door down. Another neighbour lost part of their conservatory roof. Would like to see some snow just for a change, but that would freak the locals out and cause a run in the food stores,
Ooops the lights are flickering, looks like we may loose power.
Roll on spring for all of us.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 1:30am
In the Netherlands we usually get some stormy weather when the UK gets the big storm. One storm is no news, but it seems the jet-stream is transporting depression after depression from North America, with a lot of snow there, to north-west Europe. The UK gets the rain, mostly, but Europe is not that big.  I heard a story that the super-cycloon that hit the Philipines may have changed a global weather system. 

Ro2935, sometimes the choices are like or being blown away by the wind or drift away on hughe waves or swollen rivers. If we would have the weather the UK is getting now also here we would have a big problem !
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 4:15am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26205251 live BBC-(written) news, a sinkhole causing evacuations etc.
~Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic