Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

H7N9 seems to only infect Asians.+-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H7N9 seems to only infect Asians.+-
    Posted: April 24 2014 at 12:46pm

Hi Everyone,

I would like to draw your attention to an article in the Focus Taiwan news.

I'll put the full article below, but this paragraph caught my interest..

"The CDC noted that according to World Health Organization, a total of 290 H7N9 influenza infections have been confirmed around the world since the beginning of October last year, all of which were either Chinese nationals or imported cases originating in China."

Its not the first time I have read something similar where it has been speculated that H7N9 only affects Chinese. Looking through the current case histories listed here...

http://epidemic.bio.ed.ac.uk/influenza_H7N9_background

The speculation seems to have something too it as I cannot find any references to anyone not of Chinese origin who has contracted the virus.

Does anyone have a link or some verifiable information that shows the case history of any none Asian infections?

Full news article here...

Taipei, April 24 (CNA) All 94 people who came into contact with a sick Chinese tourist have tested negative for the H7N9 avian flu virus with which the woman is infected, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said Thursday.

The Chinese tourist was confirmed Tuesday as having H7N9 avian influenza, and two other tourists in the same group later developed related symptoms but have since tested negative for the virus, the CDC said.

It said 92 other people, including members of the woman's family, other visitors in her tour group and some passengers on her flight to Taiwan, were also tested for H7N9 but the results were all negative.

Among them, however, 71 are receiving assistance to help prevent the spread of the virus, the CDC said.

Except for the patient herself, all 32 Chinese visitors in the tour group left Taiwan on Thursday, the CDC said.

The patient is the third confirmed imported case of H7N9 avian influenza in Taiwan, following a first case confirmed in April 24, 2013 and a second case on December 31.

Since the first case, a total of 576 suspected H7N9 infections have been reported to the CDC, though all but those three have proven negative, it said.

The CDC noted that according to World Health Organization, a total of 290 H7N9 influenza infections have been confirmed around the world since the beginning of October last year, all of which were either Chinese nationals or imported cases originating in China.

It urged visitors to China to maintain good personal hygiene, to avoid direct contact with poultry and birds or their droppings, and to stay away from traditional markets where live poultry is sold.

(By Lee Hsin-Yin)
ENDITEM /pc/WH

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201404240025.aspx

Utwig.
Remember to get your whole head in front of the shotgun!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 9:24pm
^Well, who the hell else would have face-to-face contact with a live chicken in China (or its excrement)??
CRS, DrPH
Utwig View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 4:22am
Hi,

The most recent investigations shows its more likely to be the wet feather plucking machines that spray droplets of blood out in a radius of about 8ft that really do it.

If the outbreak in China was limited only to people who have had contact with poultry then I would not have asked the question, however, it is not limited to that group so Im kinda missing the point of your response.

Do you have any link or info about patients who are not Chinese?

Utwig.
Remember to get your whole head in front of the shotgun!
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 7:09pm
^Well, who the hell else would have face-to-face contact with a live chicken in China (or its excrement)??
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 8:33am
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

You crack me up LOL

The only problem is the same scenario plays out all over the globe in third world countries that rely heavily on the chicken economy - including countries that border China. It's baffling to me how a virus can respect a border like this one has.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

You crack me up LOL

The only problem is the same scenario plays out all over the globe in third world countries that rely heavily on the chicken economy - including countries that border China. It's baffling to me how a virus can respect a border like this one has.

Good point!  In my university research, we studied how a major metropolitan area (Chicago) is evolving its own "chicken economy" due to economics (folks wanting to grow their own eggs and birds for meat), tradition (migrants from Latin America, Caribbean, Africa etc. have a tradition of raising chickens) and personal preference (lack of trust of factory farming practices).  We examined this with the view of a "What if?" H5N1 scenario.  I'm more worried about H7N9.  

I also share your bafflement how H7N9 has stayed in place, although I view this through the lens of probability.  Eventually, H7N9 will burst out of southern China via Asian migratory fowl flyways, cross-border poultry trade etc.  

Viruses don't stay put....this one bothers the hell out of me, I suspect deliberate malfeasance by the Chinese government, who would gain by attacking our food supply. 

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2014/title,241585,en.php

What’s Killing Thousands of Pigs in China and the U.S.?

It all began in China.

Most recently, Chinese state media reported last Thursday that at least 170 dead pigs were found bobbing in a tributary of China’s second-longest waterway, the Yellow River, in northwestern Qinghai province. This is just the latest in a string of similar incidents that have raised fears over food safety, since the river is the major source of irrigation water for nearby regions.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/whats-killing-thousands-of-pigs-in-china-and-in-the-us.html#ixzz301DmXzsH

CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 12:16pm
That one is definitely suspicious - how did the US end up with a pig virus in it's livestock that apparently jumped straight from China with no obvious pathway?
And I agree - China's definitely not above sabotaging a competitor by infecting their food chain, especially if it's a pathogen that they're having to deal with themselves - they probably justify it as leveling the playing field. If you look at the abuses that routinely take place with the apparent approval of Beijing (torture and killing of Tibetan Buddhists, harvesting of donor organs and tissues from conscious prisoners, fur farms where cats, dogs, rabbits and raccoons are skinned alive in their thousands), there really isn't much that they would balk at.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

That one is definitely suspicious - how did the US end up with a pig virus in it's livestock that apparently jumped straight from China with no obvious pathway?
And I agree - China's definitely not above sabotaging a competitor by infecting their food chain, especially if it's a pathogen that they're having to deal with themselves - they probably justify it as leveling the playing field. If you look at the abuses that routinely take place with the apparent approval of Beijing (torture and killing of Tibetan Buddhists, harvesting of donor organs and tissues from conscious prisoners, fur farms where cats, dogs, rabbits and raccoons are skinned alive in their thousands), there really isn't much that they would balk at.

Yeah, JD, as always, we are on the same page vis a vis China. 

Porcine epidemic virus (PED) has killed "millions of pigs in 27 states"....I can't believe this isn't bigger news!

CRS, DrPH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic