Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

My wife Nancy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 6:57pm
I am just a guest on this forum but would like to make a suggestion to JohnnyRay. I have heard some rather remarkable results from Raspberry Gold on the treatment of rather aggressive cancer. From what I have read I do not believe that this will cause harm; it might not help but will not harm. God gives us remarkable treatments in phytochemicals and He can heal. Best wishes, Ann
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 7:18pm
johnray- We are all thinking of you and Nancy. I have a friend who five years ago was given six months to live! He's still going strong! I lost what i thought was going to be a life partner when I was younger! Please don't concede, don't give up or surrender! We're all headed for the same finish line, it's how we reach the finish that counts! Give her all the love and laughter you can and cherish every day, every hour and minute! Hate and pain die, love lasts forever! I wish we could do more!
Buy more ammo!
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 8:45pm
Technophobe,thank you very much and please keep praying.Johnray1Smile
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 9:36pm
Prayers continued Johnray!  You can use this thread if you ever want to update how Nancy is doing.  Many of us would like to hear how things are going, but of course understand if you'd rather not talk about it also.
Kay View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 1:29pm
 Johnray I'm adding Nancy to my prayers today, and you.  God bless you both.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 6:22pm
Kay,thank you.We both need your prayers and every ones prayers.Nancy is very weak now.Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 6:38pm
Prayers for you and your wife. Take care of each other and say all you need to say.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 7:24pm

I dont wish to speak out of turn, some stranger on a forum, from half way across the world, but I just wanted to send you and your wife my thoughts and wishes.

I lost my mum to cancer when I was a teenager. I refused to leave her and spent the last week of her life curled up on the bottom of her hospital bed fending off the well meaning nurses telling me to go home. She had become jaundiced which in the nightlights cruelly made her look so healthy. Back then I had no one left but her in my life, and we clung on together for the last few days. She could hardly move, but every now and then she would lift her hand and stroke my hair for a few seconds....those few seconds are one of the most precious memories I have.   More was said in those few moments, though no words were spoken.

I am sorry she is very weak, but she will know you are there, even if at times she is too tired to hear, speak, or see your love, she will be able to just feel it from you.

As I said I probably speak out of turn, but I just wanted to say thoughts are with you and yours.

X

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 5:46pm
Hazelpad,thank you,This morning she was too weak to open her prescription bottles and she also could not see well enough to read what was in each bottle.This caused her great embarrassment to tell me this. I told her that I was here to take care of her and I was going to take care of her.

She has 3 Chemotherapy treatments left and she is thinking about not getting them. She is so weak and hurts so much after treatment. I told her that the decision was hers to make,not mine. The Oncologist has never lied to us,he has always said that the Radiation and Chem MIGHT buy her a little time,there was no long term hope with this particular Cancer.

I do not mean to brag on myself,but I am a real life tough guy both physically and mentally and I have done many very dangerous things for my country,but nothing has prepared me for watching my wife slowly die. It is tearing me apart. Johnray1       P.S. We both need all of your prayers.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 7:38pm

Johnray, my heart just breaks for you!  I have not watched a spouse slowly fade (although members here have) but I did this with my Mom, she was just 59.  It had been me & her against the world most of my life so it was very hard.  She was a strong independent woman & letting go of being able to do things for herself might have been the hardest thing for her.  And to see the role reversal of me taking care of her after years of her taking care of me was also hard on her, she did not want to relinquish control & did not until she was absolutely physically unable to do things.  It was a balance for me to find where I could step back & let her have her dignity & where I had to press her to let me help.  Earnest prayers for you & Nancy!!

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 1:42am
I know you are strong, Johnray. But, I cannot imagine how hard this is for you.  I am sorry I cannot be there physically to put the kettle on and hold a hand.  But I know I speak for many of us here when I say we are all listening and feeling with you.

Though this is a dreadful, cruel disease, there must be a small ray of light for Nancy in your steadfast care.  Love makes anything bearable however awful.

My thoughts and prayers go with you.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 2:38am
Johnray, It is with great sorrow that I learned of the deterioration in your wife's physical health.  Men like us can handle the trauma of war and our physical pains.  But I know the agony and doubts that this situation must be placing upon you.  I pray to "The Great Mystery" for a miracle to take this moment from you both.  Whatever happens, your strength and the love you have for your Nancy will either ease her passing or be there when she is raised above it.

From our communications in the past, I am aware that you are a kind and considerate man towards your fellow human beings and I am personally sorry that you and Nancy are having to face this time together.  God Bless you both.  Bernard.
I like Ike
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:26am
Hello Johnray
I'm deeply saddened to read your post and I wanted to let you know that both you and Nancy are in my prayers.

You have many friends here who care deeply about you. Be strong Johnray and may you be blessed with peace and strength. God bless you both.

Rick
spam hunter extraordinaire
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 5:42am
Very sad Johnray.   

There are no words that can be said to help you with this my dear friend.  Let her know that a handful of folks from around the world here are thinking about her and praying for her.  

We're here with you all the way Johnray.   I know it's like a bad nightmare that won't end, and I really have no idea what to say.  

Very sad time Johnray..   keep the faith is possible my friend.      

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 6:24pm
Thank all of you,we need everyone's prayers and I appreciate them.

WillobyBrat,thank you. This is the first time that I have ever faced any enemy that I can not shoot,stab,hide from, call in artillery or airstrikes on. I do not know how to fight it,this enemy will not ever jump on me and kill me.You know that sometimes you are engaged with an enemy and you know that one of you are going to be killed fast. This damn Cancer will not engage, but it is still killing my wife and I can not stop it..Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 7:47pm
Technophobe,thank you for the thoughts.I could use some one who knows how to use pots and pans. No one,here, seems to understand this. I have had to take a self taught crash course in being a house wife.It is very hard.Johnray1Smile 
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 6:08am
I can't come over to help but will gladly answer any questions you may have Johnray.

If your wife is very house-proud and unable to do anything, then picking up anything left on the floor or the tops of things and putting them away (or even just folding/stacking them neatly) will go a long way to cheering her up.  Men don't see mess generally, until the mice, cockroaches or rats arrive, but women do - and judge each other for it.  So, you will need to train yourself here.  Just divide the room mentally into 8 parts (floor West, floor North, floor East, floor South + walls N, S, E, + W.) now, stand in the middle of the room and look at each quadrant in turn for obvious dirt or untidiness.   Don't worry if you are a total failure at this, she will appreciate the effort.

Cooking is as easy, or as hard as you want to make it.  I do not suppose Nancy wants anything fancy here, so here are some simple ideas:

Cereal and or toast for breakfast.  You can add fruit juice too, which goes down very well with most invalids.  None of that requires any cooking except toast which the toaster handles for you.
[Don't let anyone tell you that boiling an egg is easy.  It is simple in theory, but actually quite hard to get right.  Fried or poached eggs are much easier as you can look and see how they are doing.  If fatty food is too unpleasant to eat, then poaching is best.  Do you have a poacher? - It looks like a frying pan with a lid containing a strange contraption of cups sitting half way through an inner lid inside.  The eggs go in the cups (you will need to grease them a little first) put boiling water in the bottom, the outer lid over the top and boil on the stove until done enough.

Sandwiches generally work well for lunch.  You can add fresh salad or tinned or packet soup depending on weather.  This covers snacks as well.  [This really is simple just peel and chop/slice/grate whatever is around for salad.  If you bung any left overs from this into a pot with a stock cube and a chopped up onion then boil for about 15 minutes you get soup.  You can thicken this with cornflour, potatoes, split peas or lentils (cornflour needs to be added mixed with a small amount of water at the end - about 1 tablespoon per pint, - potatoes, peas and lentils need at least 20 minutes to cook),  This is a good standby for invalids as a quick whizz with a blender turns it into a smooth, nourishing liquid.]

Dinner is just as easy.  Let me know what Nancy likes and I will post some simplified versions for you.  It would help to know what form your supplies take too. Frozen tv dinners need a totally different approach from something you shot, cooked with kitchen garden produce.  Stock cubes, Thickening granules, gravy granules, packet soups, frozen vegetables and a bottle of soy sauce (especially the low salt versions) simplify cooking massively for the beginner so let me know what you have.

Importantly:  Try to wash up as you go along.  The longer it is left, the stickier it becomes.

I'm not the house-proud type, but can give basic, simple advice on washing clothes or other domestic stuff too and I would like the opportunity to help where I can.  My mum never taught me and I had to work it all out for myself so I know how to beat most of the problems you are facing in that respect.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 7:24am
Wow!!  I love everything you said Techno!  So true.  I'm not so "house-proud" but I can not stand clutter!  So if Nancy is this way you will go a long way in making her feel more at ease by making things tidy.  It literally helps my mental & emotional state to organize & keep things in their place.  And the opposite is true.  I feel claustrophobic and smothered when things are hugely disorganized or in disarray. 

A crock pot is so handy to have at times like this Johnray.  You can put it in & forget it for half the day & it comes out wonderfully.  Just about any meat, stews, vegetables... there are even recipes online to "bake" with your crock pot.  Almost completely disaster proof.  You know better the foods Nancy likes or can tolerate.  But you can also cook for yourself in a crockpot too.  Do take care of yourself as well.  Caregivers need care also!  You'll be no good to her if you don't treat yourself well.

Also I have known many people who's tastes changed after chemo.  Some people are not able to taste at all afterward.  If she is still doing treatments at a cancer center they should have a nutritionist on staff.  That person can go a long way in suggestions for what to eat &/or how to fix it.

I do hope you will take Techno up on her offer.  We are far from you in miles but we really do want to help.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 7:26am
Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes

Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 6 hours
Total time 6 hours 5 mins

Cook sweet potatoes in your slow-cooker or crock pot with this simple and fool-proof method.

Ingredients
  • 5-6 medium sized sweet potatoes
Instructions
  1. Wash sweet potatoes well but don't dry.
  2. Put on the bottom of the crock pot, put lid on, and turn on low.
  3. Cook for 6-7 hours or until tender.
  4. Serve with butter and salt.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 7:36am
If her immune system is low her Dr may have said not to eat raw fruits & veggies.  Only cooked.  You'd have to ask the Dr or dietician if that is a recommendation for Nancy specifically.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 7:19pm
Technophobe,everything that you said here is true. Rats are big enough for me to shoot. (joking). But I am slowly learning. Jen 147- thank you also.Everything that you two have said is true. I am doing my best and I learn more every day.So,keep the advice coming.

Tonight is a particularly bad night. She has lost more than I realized she had,but I promised her that I was here to the end,no matter what. Tonight there that seems to be a consistent stream of ***** from our bed to the bathroom and back. There is nothing that I hate to clean more than *****. But I am doing it and I will continue to do it.

Please do not delete this because other people in the future will need to know exactly what they face.Johnray1
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 3:51am
I'm still here too.  I wish I could be there.

Carbohydrates and protein without fibre or fat is a good combination to "bind up" a "loose" system.  Scrambled egg and rice is an edible way to achieve this.  As a combination this is a bit low on vitamins C, D & B complex, as they tend to come with the veggies and in the case of B - offal, but you could supplement that with a pill.  Keeping vitamin levels high (plus zinc) helps the immune system function, this system takes quite a hammering with chemo and radio therapy.

For white rice take 1 level cup of rice and put it in a saucepan with 2 cups of water.  Bring to the boil and immediately cover and turn down to the lowest setting of your cooker hob.  That will need about 20 minutes (you can turn it off for the last 5 minutes but do not take the lid off yet.  Do not touch it at all, if you stir it, it will go sticky and if you take the lid off, too much water will evaporate and the rice will be gritty and hard.)

Now while you are waiting for the rice:  If you have a non-stick pan you can scramble eggs without fat.  Just heat and stir (with a wooden spoon or a plastic one or silicone - not metal that will ruin the pan) .  You can add a dash of milk if you like and if Nancy likes spicy flavours a pinch of oregano and/or mustard and/or soy sauce.

Put some salt and pepper on the tray when serving, as some people would find this too bland.  But it is good invalid nutrition.

Skip the fruit juice at breakfast, to keep the digestive system stable.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 2:42pm
Technophobe,thank you very much. They may have worked on this diarrhea,but I think that this episode was caused from all the Radiation treatments that she has had. It is one of the side effects and it can happen anytime for the rest of the patients life.Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 9:25pm
Technophobe and Jen 147. I thank both of you.But I really would rather shoot rats than to keep house. This evening,I decided that the floor could not go any longer without a mopping. So I mopped it.

My wife had a good day for most of this day. But after I got finished mopping the floor(with her watching). She was finishing the bowl of soup that I had made her for supper. I looked at her and she was finished for the day.She was totally worn out. But the look that I got from her and the look that I gave her,I think showed more love from each of us than ever before. I helped her to bed.

The episode with the diarrhea and sickness that I told you all about lasted most of the night.But I did not stop cleaning and I finally helped her to bed for the last time,last night.

If any one on this board is getting ready to get married,do not get married if you do not love your mate this much.Johnray1
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 10:10pm
What a bitter sweet post Johnray!  I'm glad you found a ray of sunshine in your dark days.

What about getting a portable potty chair & sitting it next to the bed?  It can be set aside when not needed.  They can be purchased very reasonably at medical supply stores but even in some stores like Wal-Mart.  Same with shower chairs.  My mother would not use a potty chair until she was forced to.  I get it.  I understand why.  They do not want to let go of being "normal".  It's dignity.  It's privacy.  But there is no shame in it.  It makes it easier on them & their caregivers.  Things like this are just small adjustments to a "new normal".  It's just something to think about.  Much easier to empty a bucket than to constantly clean a floor.

Also John, I'm wondering... are you guys signed up for hospice?  Hospice is not what a lot of people think.  There are a lot of misconceptions.  It's not saying I Quit, I give up.  And you do not have to be finished with treatments or stop seeing your medical Dr.  You do NOT have to have a diagnosis of 6 months or less to live. 

Hospice can provide or help facilitate things like potty chairs, shower chairs, hospital beds, moisture proof pads that go on the bed, gloves & other medical supplies... even mechanical lift recliners in certain circumstances.  They provide help with housework & cooking, emotional & spiritual support... and they have a huge heart for caregivers, giving them a break to go for a walk or go out to lunch with a friend, go run errands whatever you want to do to just get away for awhile, they will stay with your loved one.  They also have nurses that visit regularly.  They can work with the Dr to manage pain and any other symptoms the patient might be experiencing.

Sorry to sound like a Hospice commercial or something, I just loved, super loved my Mom's hospice team.  She wanted no part of it at first (she was a stubborn woman, can you tell) but after just a few weeks Rhonda, who was our support person, became like a member of our family.  My Mom just loved her.  They would watch soap operas together, lol.

It's just something to think about.  You don't sound like you have much support Johnray.  For yourself or for Nancy.  If you don't have family, friends, church family that can pitch in Hospice might be something to think about.  Not saying it's right for everyone but I've yet to meet a family that didn't love theirs.

Keep posting John, it does good to write it out.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 2:18am
It is difficult to work out the differences between services in America and Britain, but over this side of the pond our hospices are amazing.  My spiritual teacher died in one about 2 years ago and was really enjoying life until the last.  She managed a "ton up" motorbike ride less than a week before her death (pillion).  I doubt she was pain free, she had suffered several very painful conditions for the last 25 years of her life and the pain meds. tend to lose their potency over time, but her pain management was sufficient to keep her happy.  Mind you, she was a pretty tough cookie as well.

As a carer for the last 20 years, I know how difficult this can be for you.  You do need to devote some time to you too.  Things would be even worse for Nancy, if you became too exhausted to cope.  Some respite would help enormously, even if you just spend it sleeping!  

Believe me I "get-it".  I became so exhausted caring for my disabled son I eventually put him into the care system, which broke my heart.  In the end I had no choice, as my own health failed (you can't carry someone up and down the stairs when they are bigger than you and your hip has failed).  Had I had more respite and support, maybe I could have gone on longer (a stairlift would have helped too, but they do not give those out for autisim, only for "physical" disabilities). 

Caring eats your savings, destroys your career, wears your mind and body out and can leave you incapable of enjoying any of the time you have left.  Don't let it come to that, not just for you, but for both of you.  Give yourselves a chance to get some fun out of your last bit of time together. The purpose of this life may be to prepare us for something better and greater, but that does not mean we are meant to be miserable while we are here.  Life is a gift.  Don't insult the creator by failing to appreciate it.  Jen is giving truly great advice here.

You are so right about the love bit.  That makes anything bearable and does find those precious rays of sunshine in the dark.  It is the part of us closest to God, a better reflection thereof than any other part of our makeup.  The hidden good news is that it is truly permanent, even though our bodies are not.

Jen is right about the posting too.  Yours are the first ones I read when I log on and the last I read before I log off.  We may be able to offer no physical help (d*mmit) but are listening and praying with you all we can.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 2:55am
Johnray, you have a rat problem too?    I know that an exterminator can get rid of them, but it will cost $500 +.   Would you like me to find one for you?

I'm staring to rethink  the plan of a road trip out to you Johnray.   I hate damn rats.    There is a process to get rid of them, but I'm not sure you can do it as it requires quite a bit of work.  

What state do you reside in again?

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 4:31pm
Albert,I do NOT have a rat problem. I was just saying that I needed to keep thing cleaned up or I would have a rat problem. The house gut a very complete cleaning and disinfecting last night.But NO rats here.John
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 5:10pm
Jen 147 and Technophobe,thank you for the information on Hospice in your area.But I know about Hospice care in this area. A few years ago,the DEA finished a 5 year undercover investigation and most of the hospice people went to prison. They were stealing the narcotics that were meant for the sick and dieing people and they were using the drugs themselves and they were also selling them. The lady who ran the narcotics part of  hospice was one of the nicest people that I had ever meet. She was always well dressed,very clean, very well spoken and perfect in just about every way. She was also the person that was channeling the narcotics to the drug world.

When the raid happened,the Feds and WV State Police hit 30plus houses all at one time. there was one guy in the drug world that had bragged many times that he was armed all of the time and he would kill cops before he went to prison. EVERYONE believed him,so he was taken down first.There were 70 plus arrested. The lady who was in charge of the Narcotics and was so nice and convincing could not be found. The police found her pocket book on the kitchen table and the kitchen window was open,but they could not find her. After a few days.the cleaning ladies at a motel about 25 miles from where most of the raid happened,complained of a foul odor coming from a room that had not been occupied in weeks. They called the police,the police entered the room and it was her. The police said that it was suicide,but I believe it was murder,but what I think makes no difference.

Besides what I told you above,I have to be very careful with what and how I approach my wife. A bedside commode is a perfect idea,but my wife would probably go ballistic and scream at me that I was telling her that she was getting old and that only old people and dieing people had bedside commodes. She has not accepted anything yet and she is still pissed that she has cancer and she tells me that I gave it to her.I am still keeping up with the cooking,and the house cleaning so I do not need hospice yet. But I will call them when I need them. Another thing that Hospice if famous for around here,besides stilling narcotics, is for also stealing everything else that they can get their hands on in patients homes. They litterally dry clean homes. That is one reason that many of the people go to worlk for hospice,they get their narcotics,plus all that they can steal.

Technophobe and Jen 147, do miss understand me,I still need and want all of the advice that I can get on anything, I am just not always able to carry out every thing that I need to do. My wife stays on the edge and many times,she goes over the edge.I have to introduce new things or ideas very slowly and sometimes that does not even work.

Everyone please keep praying and keep sending me advice.I will do the best that I can.Thank you all.Johnray1
Kay View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 6:49pm
 My mom sounded a lot like your wife.  She was always telling us she didn't want to look and act old or feeble.  She passed when she came down with skin cancer, she was 90. We thought she had it licked but it went  inside and caused tumors we found out when she started feeling bad.  We immdiatley got hospice to come.  They even send a chaplin to talk and the nurse will come running if they get bad and give advice or tell you how much medicine to give them, we had the pain medicine at the house.  I suggest you ask her if she would like the porta pot for night time so she doesn't have to navigate so far in the night and maybe break a bone.  Tell her you know she doesn't need it but for safety
concerns she might want to consider getting one.
  Getting hospice in to be able to know them and learn about them and them about you
will save you a lot of concern if things get bad.  They don't stay at the house more than you want them too, they just check up to see what they can do for the patient.
  Check around in your area and see if they changed since all the raids took place.
Check with your friends or church, maybe senior center or hospital.
Talk to them outside the house to feel it out if you are uncomforable with them, and play it by ear.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 7:13pm
Kay,thank you.That is the process that I will use,if and when I call hospice.I will suggest the porta-potty when she wakes up and see what happens. We have a master bedroom room and bathroom in our house. It is not very far from the bed to the commode and shower,but a porta-potty would save some cleaning.

Kay, I think that I would have liked your Mom.Johnray1
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 9:02pm
Oh don't worry John we are not at all offended.  Not every suggestion works for every person, that is why we are throwing so much out there.  You will eventually find little nuggets of what we say & even if it helps a tiny bit it was worth pages and pages of suggestions that wouldn't apply.

We are here as long as you are, as long as you need.  Like I said, even if you just need to vent we will listen.  Sometimes there isn't anything anyone can "do"... sometimes you just need to come along side someone and walk silently with them, just being there, or saying, I hear you, I'm sorry you are having to experience this.

If you ever do get hospice... see if you can go outside your county even.  My Mom was able to get medical supplies from Knoxville that was almost 200 miles away from her, it just so happened to be where her insurance had a company that was in network.  That way you might could fish for help outside of the corruption that took place in your area.  In the end, it's like churches... some people complain they don't want to go to church because of the hypocrites... there are good & bad in all churches, good & bad in all areas of business.  You have to maybe do a little more digging to find what's right for you.  If it is a concern for you should you ever invite Hospice in & if you have the money, install DIY surveillance cameras in your home, like Nanny Cams.  Either choose to tell them that they (cameras) are there so it will set the tone up front that any bad seeds better steer clear or choose not to tell them, then review the camera footage after every visit.  These can be purchased very inexpensively these days if you can do it yourself.

I agree with Kay on the potty.. if you want to "introduce" the idea to her start small like saying, hey honey how about a potty just for the night time or just when I need to leave the house when you can still have your privacy with it.

Change is hard.  I despise it.  Maybe I get it from my Mom, I don't know.  But I can imagine where your wife is coming from.  To switch from using a bathroom like you have all your life & like all the "regular" people are still able to do might feel like admitting defeat.  It's a mental process that only she can work through.  I will pray that she will see the advantage to both of you for her to be a little more flexible & a little more giving.  It's not giving up, but giving to you for stress relief & practical help.  She will see this eventually.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 9:51pm
Hospice, in Denver it goes like this. A nurse comes 2-3 times a week to see if the pain meds, and other meds are working ok. Takes blood pressure, temp, feels pulse in feet and hands and asks if you need other services. Other services are bathing in bed if they can't take a bath or get in the shower.

Basically, I did all the care. My husband did really well except for the last 24 hours. He died in the late afternoon so I never had a "nurse" over night in my house.

We could have decided to go to a "hospice" place but my husband wanted to be at home and he went so fast there was no need for a hospice place.

Now that being said I had a friend that just died and she went to a hospice place because her husband could not handle the food, cleaning, and just taking care of her. Not to be sexist but some men are just not comfortable with caring for a sick person and all that goes with that. My friend was really ill for several weeks unlike my husband who was good until the last 24 hours.

Johnray1 do your best and when it is time for other care you will know the time.
Kay View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:19pm
 You did a good job explaining flu mom.  That's they way we did it for mom.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 4:03am
I also am not offended, Johnray.  Like Jen said, if being here on the other end of the keyboard is all I can offer, then I will offer that to the best of my ability.

I am horrified to hear of the evil of your local hospice.  That is an abuse of trust, on a par with child abuse.  Those who prey upon others are scum, but those who prey primarily on those without defences are the worst scum of all.  I do hope things are better now.

It is difficult to offer advice without specific knowledge of the hurdles you face. I will keep trying though.  You are well liked here on this forum and If nothing else we can be someone to talk to.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 6:27am
You guys are great.   Fantastic posts! 

This is exactly why going off topic is fine here.    No forums engage in personal talk, which I don't really agree with because of cases like with Johnray.    Not sure what the point of these forums would be if we didn't give a damn about people.  That's why this place will be very valuable in the next pandemic.

Johnray - Roger on the rats.  My apologies.   I've de-ratted a couple homes in the past when the residents couldn't do it, and I had a momentary flashback.    No worries JR, we won't be ripping out your walls anytime soon, lol.

We're here for you Johnray all the way 24/7.   

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 12:10pm
Johnray, my grandmother died of cancer and in her last few weeks we had nurses living in. My parents didn't want her to go to a hospice as there wasn't one locally and she didn't want to go to one anyway. It was also Christmas time and she wanted to be at home (she lived with us at the time). So two special cancer nurses moved in. They were supplied by a cancer trust and I'm not sure if my parents had to pay for them or not but between the two of them, they cared for her around the clock. 

It worked really well, they were lovely women both in late middle age, and they really helped my parents by dealing with all the undignified physical stuff. My grandmother died 4 days after Christmas, she had become very sick and was definitely dying and so she was helped along by a large morphine dose from our local doctor - this was back in the 70's when doctors could be more compassionate - with the blessing of my parents and the nurses. 

My parents still talk about those kind nurses and what a blessing they were. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 5:21pm
Albert and all.thanks very much.Johnray1
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 5:54pm
God Bless Nancy and you, John. In Jesus' name. Amen
"And then there were none."
tamara View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 10:50am
Hello there,  Your post has made me finally register after years of reading this website.  I am so sorry for you and Nancy, and my prayers are added to yours.  I have no medical advice to give, but i do want to offer a couple of suggestions from a friend who lost her mother last year.

While Nancy is still feeling well enough be sure to get her voice recorded, she can just be talking about old memories or how she is feeling or sending a message to the people she loves.  We often take pictures and forget the power of the voice.  Have her write something to you also.

Make sure you do get a picture of yourselves together, and take some time to relive some of the happier moments in your life.  If you have a favorite song play it, a movie, watch it, a joke you share- tell it.

As horrible as this may be, you are being given these moments together and that in itself is a small gift.

May God Bless Both of You.
The catapiller's end, is the butterfly's beginning
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 1:52pm
Nice post tamara!  I agree... after my Mom was gone I kept her answering machine which had her "please leave a message" message on it.  She was old school & refused to update to even a cordless phone... anyway... one day for some reason a couple years after she'd died (she died in 2005) it no longer worked... I can tell you it was like grieving all over again.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 4:56pm
Excellent suggestion Tamara. And welcome aboard.

Sorry about that Jen. I understand how that feels as it too has happened to me. My sugestions are for one to use their smart phone via an app and then email the high quality digital recording to themselves and then it can be preserved without degradation for pretty much all time.
"And then there were none."
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 5:39pm
Tamara,thank you for taking the time to tell me these things. She is still able to use a cell phone and she  talks to basically any one that she wants to.I will mention leaving recordings for people,but talking about leaving things for people is a very touchy subject,she has not accepted the possibility that she might die,even though all of the Oncologist have told her and me both that she does not have a chance. Thank You.Johnray1
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 3:15am
Hey Johnray hang in there my friend! I said a prayer for you and Nancy this AM..Best,Dan
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2015 at 4:50am
Continued prayers for you and Nancy Johnray
spam hunter extraordinaire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic