Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

where is the outward spread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where is the outward spread
    Posted: September 13 2014 at 2:12pm
Why aren't we seeing cases out of Africa yet? I really, with all the reports of exponential growth, don't get it. I hear all the doom and gloom, easy transmission, and out of control. But where is it? Really we should have already have seen this out of Africa? We are not enforcing quarantine on travelers and victims are incubating +/- 21 days. Something doesn't add up. I don't want it to spread but realistically it should have already under these conditions. I am starting to think I am smelling fish.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 3:10pm
If it was being intentionality spread in Africa it would look like ppe's and protocols weren't working. Not to say that it is not airborne or couldn't become more than droplet borne. Intentional spread would undermine efforts to contain and maintain burn. Also I could see where non African gov.'s could hide cases and quarantine operations to Putoff panic.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 3:51pm
Nigeria is probably the turning point for international spread.   Of course there are no updates coming out of Nigeria whatsoever for the last couple weeks.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 4:00pm
The reason why it hasn't yet escaped the effected areas is because like the outbreaks of past, the effected areas are large villiages in the bush, reletively well isolated from much of the rest of the world. It is certainly spreading and growing out within the narrow region it first sprang up.

Air travel, which was never large as compared to say, Chicago, has in fact been substantially reduced. Border security has been beefed up. Movement within the areas has been noticeably dampened.

With five to twenty thousand infected, ~80% of those already dead, many of the living so weak they can't move much, it is not surprising to me that an anticipated outgrowth has yet to materialize. A few thousand infectee's out of many millions is still a very small percentage of the population.

The theory is that with exponential growth, those numbers are now very close to maturing into something quite differant, shocking and ultra threatening to neighbors and faraway peoples.

Right now the living infected make up about .0001 to .0004% of the population of the big three with the most known cases. (Never mind Nigeria for the moment.)

Almost none of the infected are the jet-set type. But those numbers can and likely will go up in the weeks and months to come to make up 5, 20...50% of the population.

Sometime prior to it reaching these kind of numbers we are going to see absolutely massive stampedes of people in all directions in waves that no one will be able to stop and the virus will be carried along with it. -Albert's Tsunami.

This has been my take since the first 80 or so cases were reported. Sad, but it's actually quite elementary to see what's coming.

(Edited)
"And then there were none."
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 4:04pm
Why are there no reports? That is the news story that is not being covered. I think that lack of accurate reporting is part of the fishy odor.
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 9:22pm
For me, the fishy odor comes from the fact that we keep hearing of people winding up in first world countries with symptoms that match up with Ebola, and have been in the affected areas, that are all testing negative, yet we never hear what they did have and their condition. And then what about that Air Marshal that was stuck with the syringe? That story seems to have disappeared from the news. I looked it up on the net last night and couldn't find an update. Anybody hear anything?
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 9:54pm
Not much news on it Nigerians say its not on security tapes
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by ViQueen24 ViQueen24 wrote:

For me, the fishy odor comes from the fact that we keep hearing of people winding up in first world countries with symptoms that match up with Ebola, and have been in the affected areas, that are all testing negative, yet we never hear what they did have and their condition. And then what about that Air Marshal that was stuck with the syringe? That story seems to have disappeared from the news. I looked it up on the net last night and couldn't find an update. Anybody hear anything?

You have a point. I have noticed the same. Probebly 8 out of 10 of them peculiarly neglect to mention what Ebola-like infection they did have...like bird flu or MERS? Like if it's not Ebola then all of a sudden it's private? Some of these cases are clearly common ailments that probebly occure thousands of times a day around the world but if they want to dispel any more suspicion and panic already developing then they should just follow up and tell us. Duh.

I read that the Martial was put back into service. Guess he was injected with saline or Gatorade. I mean, I'm glad for the guy of course but again, no mention of what could have been in that syringe. And maybe it was dry and someone's best attempt to cause fear. But how did they know it was a Sky Martial? Their identities are ultra secret.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by drumfish drumfish wrote:

Not much news on it Nigerians say its not on security tapes

Maybe he just got stung by a wasp or something and assumed? It's possible I suppose. The Nigerians didn't capture the incident on tape because they were too busy trying to sell us millions of dollars for a few thousand so they could then steal a few hundred from our credit cards and bank accounts. Albert's right. There's no Ebola in Nigeria because they're too busy being crooks.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:06pm
I was wondering it could have served to cause terror, use our resources, and test our reaction.
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:24pm
But wasn't the syringe recovered and tested, onefluover? So I don't think it was a sting. Glad he's OK, too, but quite scary that this opens a can of worms that I'm sure ISIS and all other terror groups are watching. Not that they would've had any trouble thinking of it themselves. But, yes, onefluover, the feeling that they're being secretive is bugging me, too.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:24pm
I had put this up on another post
Originally posted by drumfish drumfish wrote:

There are various reports of people being isolated and then tested for Ebola in U.S. and the developed world. Likewise subsequent revelations that they don't have Ebola. They don't tell us what the patient has. But they do say its not Ebola. What do they have? Patient confidentality. OK I get that. But why then would we know about it if it was positive. Wouldn't the confidentiality still apply. I guess I wonder if we are just buying time. They tell us about testing the patient in the first place. Does this seem disconnected?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:57am
Sorry, VQ. I forgot they recovered the thing. But no explanation of what was in it if anything. Neglecting to report what was in the syringe is an act of terrorism in my opinion.

Yeah DF, it seems kind of oxymoronical to first report that someone may have ebola but then in respect of privacy laws, decline to report that they do, only that they don't but only sometimes what they really have. That serves only to confuse an already nervous society. If a person has Ebola then the publics right to know far exceeds the patients privacy rights. The only reason the names of the American doctors were revealed is because they themselves OK'd it. Otherwise we'd of seen the same with that I'm assuming.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 2:05pm
I have read on a couple of sites where some people believe that WHO always overestimates these kind of things to raise more money. They say its just a fraud to extort the developed world through fear. Others. Say it is to distract us from something else. Or that do-gooders believe the only way we will devote resources to solve an African problem is by scaring the sheep into it. I have read all of the dire grim statements here and elsewhere and think to my self if this does not result in out of Africa transmission under the current conditions very very soon then I too may begin to question the apocalyptic predictions. I don't believe it can be as out of control as proported to be without out of Africa spread. Especially with modern travel, ease of transmission, and exponential growth. So it is either as bad as reported and worse or a sham. I don't know which but if this thing all the sudden comes under control after all of the dire reports I will be much more interested in the naysayers arguments in the future. Don't get me wrong I know Ebola is real and nasty and that terrorist could use it. But there are many threats and people being manipulated by lies and fear into action by a deceiver can rank as one of the biggest, because a terrified human can do really scary things.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:09pm
I think there is an explanation, or rather two. 

One half is that the people suffering directly, currently are the fantastically poor.  By no stretch of the imagination am I rich by western standards, but my life is incomprehensibly monied by theirs.  I have running water, power, light, helathcare, sufficient food, education for my children, safety nets and an ability to travel where I will on wheels, wings or waggons.

They don't.  To travel for them is to walk.

Which brings me to the other half, there is nowhere to walk to.  If you run away from places like Monrovia on feet alone all you can reach is bush.  Those infected who try to escape this way simply die there.

This is hard for us to grasp in the west, just as our priviliged life is hard for them to imagine.  The poorest of us can hitch, travel by coach and scrounge assistance, thereby spreading an infection to many other places.  Their degree of financial imprisonment is as incomprehensible to us as our lifestyle is to them.  But if you imagine the limit of your own feet, without roads or shoes or provisions, it becomes easy to see why the infections stop where they do.

When it finally spreads to the richer areas, then we will see trouble.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:36pm
The news reports indicate business people, students, government officials, etc. are regularly traveling out. From those groups are the people who are being reported as presenting with ebolalike symptoms in the developed world and quarantined tested and said to not have Ebola but what they do have is confidential. So while I do understand and recognize the validity of your statements I still believe that's not the whole story. Travel is available. Where there is travel there is spread of infectious pathogenic organisms.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:50pm
Yeah. I agree Techno. They're isolated in their ability to physically leave the areas. Cities and bush villiages alike. But as DrumFish said, not completely isolated. They do have some cars and many high gas mileage motorbikes. And some system of dirt roads in and out. Barefooted on a motorbike with two five gallon gascans will get one 500 miles. It is coming and probebly has already begun but yes, many have and will simply walk into the wilderness to die.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 4:41pm
Got me, guys. As much of a cynic as I am about Ebola, it should have appeared outside West Africa long ago.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:27pm
I like to get news from divergent sources. I recognize that modern news outlets are often politically slanted to right or left. In addition news is often exaggerated for ratings. To accept or disregard a news item out of hand because of the source, to me, is blind faith in that source or group of sources. Just because the political leanings of one source is more palatable to me I deliberately look to find other sources to be as well informed as I can be. This is one of the times where I say that given the facts that if this is true then I would expect to see a specific particular event, or set of events to to occur to indicate a particular thing is true or false or perhaps one side more correct than the other. In this case I decided I would need to see repeated out of Africa spread to confirm to me that the facts and predictions are true/valid about the severity of this particular Ebola outbreak. I do get ebola is ugly and this is the worst outbreak we have had, but is it the next global "killer, herd thinning plague"? To get to that point for me I expect to see cases out of Africa. If I don't see that then it is still the worst outbreak recorded but not the zombie apocalypse and quite possibly an exaggeration. I am not saying I am right just sharing my thoughts.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:31pm
It probably has. They're probably drawing straws to see who will admit it first.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:41pm
I honestly believe it has not escaped Africa yet because it is currently afecting the static poor.  Next I believe  it will spread to the richer in situ.  Then it will just fail to breach our defences here in the west several more times before finally becoming successful.

We may still sit on it at this point.  I just feel that at that point there will be no more guarantees of safety.

Worst case senario gives us months yet.  Best case senario we keep it out.  Only time will tell.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

The reason why it hasn't yet escaped the effected areas is because like the outbreaks of past, the effected areas are large villiages in the bush, reletively well isolated from much of the rest of the world. It is certainly spreading and growing out within the narrow region it first sprang up.

Air travel, which was never large as compared to say, Chicago, has in fact been substantially reduced. Border security has been beefed up. Movement within the areas has been noticeably dampened.

With five to twenty thousand infected, ~80% of those already dead, many of the living so weak they can't move much, it is not surprising to me that an anticipated outgrowth has yet to materialize. A few thousand infectee's out of many millions is still a very small percentage of the population.

The theory is that with exponential growth, those numbers are now very close to maturing into something quite differant, shocking and ultra threatening to neighbors and faraway peoples.

Right now the living infected make up about .0001 to .0004% of the population of the big three with the most known cases. (Never mind Nigeria for the moment.)

Almost none of the infected are the jet-set type. But those numbers can and likely will go up in the weeks and months to come to make up 5, 20...50% of the population.

Sometime prior to it reaching these kind of numbers we are going to see absolutely massive stampedes of people in all directions in waves that no one will be able to stop and the virus will be carried along with it. -Albert's Tsunami.

This has been my take since the first 80 or so cases were reported. Sad, but it's actually quite elementary to see what's coming.

(Edited)

I concur with your analysis.  Another factor we may yet see will be the spread of the disease due to military or rebel violence.  Historically, that's always been a factor that kicks up the spread of infectious disease.  

This outbreak is just starting to wind up.  The computer models I've read are very frightening, and it will jump from the continent eventually.  

As the Boy Scouts say, "Be prepared."
CRS, DrPH
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:57pm
I readily agree that there seems to be a fishy smell around developed world ebolalike presentations prompting quarantine and testing all negative but non disclosure of illness. I can see where most developed world governments would do anything in their power to hide an outbreak to forestall panic as long as possible. Fighting a pathogen is a race against time, stall desease, rush research for cure, protect and stage resources, and belay panic. Much of which would be to maintain control, authority, and power. Aparent deception is cause for scrutiny.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 6:33pm
In fact I believe that panic in their populations may be as great a fear by governments as the desease itself. Not to mention economic implications of panic in a given population.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I honestly believe it has not escaped Africa yet because it is currently afecting the static poor.  Next I believe  it will spread to the richer in situ.  Then it will just fail to breach our defences here in the west several more times before finally becoming successful.

We may still sit on it at this point.  I just feel that at that point there will be no more guarantees of safety.

Worst case senario gives us months yet.  Best case senario we keep it out.  Only time will tell.

I don't think we have defences in the west against this type of thing. Its not like we are quarantineing international travelers for 21-25 days.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 4:56pm
With all the new hype now we need 100 million no wait no a billion to contain ebola. There should have been a spread out of africa so its being covered up or there is no spread out of Africa. If its really that bad why no quarantine on africa?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic