Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - There's a Black Market for Ebola Survivors' Blood
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

There's a Black Market for Ebola Survivors' Blood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noflu4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There's a Black Market for Ebola Survivors' Blood
    Posted: September 18 2014 at 8:00pm
Kinda Creepy

There's a Black Market for Ebola Survivors' Bloodere's a Black Market for Ebola Survivors' Blood

A black market has emerged in West Africa trading the blood of Ebola survivors, 

the World Health Organization reported.

The convalescent serum collected from survivors' blood has been used by trained doctors to treat Ebola patients in the outbreak so far, including 51-year-old American aid worker Rick Sacra, who received blood from survivor Kent Brantly. The blood's antibodies are particularly helpful in fighting the virus, and the black market spawned from a mixture of desperation in the region and lack of reliable resources.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said at a press conference 

that the agency is sounding the alarm to "stamp out any black market activity." "This is something we need to work very closely with the affected countries to stem," Chan said. "The use of convalescent serum has to be done properly."

The wrong blood type could cause anaphylactic shock and death in a patient, not to mention pass on any blood-borne diseases like HIV if the original blood is infected. A black market could be disastrous for the distribution of supplies to the region. If those trading in the market grab airdropped supplies, the system could end up preventing the supplies from reaching patients in need.

Laurie Garret, senior fellow for global health at the Council of Foreign Relations, warned the black market is already steps ahead of any actions from President Obama and other global initiatives. "I'm very distressed," she told The Hill. "I don't think we're even close to playing catch up, much less mount a response that will get us ahead of the virus."

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/09/theres-a-black-market-for-ebola-survivors-blood/380351/

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic