Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

thermonuclear sterilization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermonuclear sterilization
    Posted: September 27 2014 at 3:58pm
You know there are probably contingency plans out there. Which country do you think would be most likely to do it and under what circumstances?
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 4:34pm
Hello, I'm new posting to this forum but have been a quiet visitor for well over a year now... you all have been so informative, and I've appreciated the balanced discussion.

Drumfish, I would hope things would never get that dire. However, I also would find it hard to believe that the developed world's leaders would just be "hoping" things get better after their provided aid. I'd be very curious to know what the various layers of contingency plans are.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 4:50pm
I am not advocating for this but the posibility is plausible, especially if the resources currently being thrown at the mess don't have the desired result.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 11:18am
Hi Schrödinger's Cat - nice to hear from you Thumbs Up

Don't worry Drumfish - I appreciate what you said about not advocating it, but there have been posts that border on suggesting something similar, or simply closing off that part of the world and letting it burn through the population as a way of stopping the outbreak. It's very easy to write off Africa, but I came across this today and thought I'd throw it out there to provide an alternate perspective. It's not West Africa (it's filmed in Zambia) and it's about fresh water, not Ebola, but it does put faces on the people who struggle with crushing poverty and lack of education in that part of the world.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 4:43pm
Neat video, link didn't work but I found it on youtube.

Africa so many natural resources available yet with such useless governments. It really is sad to see the repetitive failures.

drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 5:17pm
Without a cure it kind of does have to burn through the population. That is what a plague is. I mean we try to do what we can to help, but at the same time prudent outbreak control would involve isolation, or quarantine to attempt to protect the uninfected would it not? I know its ugly but if its in one state do you keep it there or allow it to spread to all of the others. In that quarantined state you would work to further separate the infected. The patient is kept in isolation to prevent spread but you still provide care, food, water, etc. Sometimes I think when people speak of quarantine they act like the gate gets closed and no help gets in. If help didn't get in it really would be more of a death camp.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 7:34pm
jacksdad,I find it amazing that after 200 to 300 hundred years of help from all over the world,that these people still have crushing poverty and lack of education. Maybe they can not be helped.Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 7:41pm
Johnray1 I agree with you I don't know if these people can be helped. However, in the mean time Ebola can and will spread. Scary stuff.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 7:49pm
FluMom,I know several doctors,nurses,medical students and ect. that spend at least 6 weeks of every year in Africa trying to help people. But these same doctors will not treat any of the poor local people unless they have cash upfront. There is something wrong with this and I live in a very rural area. If these people fly thousands of miles to treat strangers for no charge,why will they not help our local people. I have practiced medicine for 30 plus years and I have always been amazed by this fact. My requirements for payment is that if they can,I expect $5.00 per visit to be paid on their large medical bills and I generally do not even get that.Johnray1
OriginalHappyCamper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OriginalHappyCamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 7:54pm
You are one of a Kind for a medical person Johnray1 your rewards are not on this earth,
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by OriginalHappyCamper OriginalHappyCamper wrote:

You are one of a Kind for a medical person Johnray1 your rewards are not on this earth,

I agree whole-heartedly!  Clap
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 11:14pm
I'll second that, JR - that kind of selflessness is a rare quality in anyone Clap
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 6:53am
To All, I appreciate what many of you are saying,but I still do see the difference in treating people in Africa for nothing verses treating people in the US for nothing. At one time in my life,I was one of these poor kids. But do not feel sorry for me,because I am no longer poor.

I for got,there is one big difference,when these medical personal get back home,they have a special meeting and everyone is invited and at this meeting they have many,many slides or films to show of where they were and what a wonderful job they had done and they also have a few pictures of Lions or some kind of dangerous animal and they indicate that their were endanger during their whole trip. They leave the impression that they are real heroes.I quit going to these meeting years ago. 
newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

Originally posted by OriginalHappyCamper OriginalHappyCamper wrote:

I agree whole-heartedly!  Clap

You got my vote too! Real rewards are 'later'!
Cherish each moment
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic