Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

What is Needed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Needed?
    Posted: October 10 2014 at 6:43pm
Most of us have masks, gloves, goggles.

Now I would like to know how many coveralls with hoods I will most likely need along with how many boots. I have been looking at the Dupont Tyvek coveralls and boots.

I hope to just be using for going out for water, or if the stores are still open to pick up stuff.

Anyone have an idea?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 6:59pm
Does anyone know where the people get the yellow "plastic suits" and the Orange boots all these Ebola workers have on?
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:17pm
What is needed is for all of us who are so concerned with saving our own skin, to donate just a small amount to an organization that is fighting this virus in West Africa.
Interested....
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:26pm
Already have. I think a number of others here have done so as well.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:30pm
FluMom,many people on this board are talking about what kind of suits and masks to get if Ebola or any bad disease breaks out in this country.
What all of you need to realize is that there is no Bio-hazard suit or mask that will work. The reason that none of them will work is that you can not live in any of them 24/7.You have to take them off sometime.Then you get the disease anyway. They are only useful if you are passing through a contaminated area to a safe NON infected area.There will be no place like that.Johnray1
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:32pm
I'm surprised that the Red Cross hasn't mounted some sort of effort similar to the Haiti Earth Quake or the Indian Ocean Tsunami    Would it be out of place to put a link up on this site directing folks to a user friendly site where they could donate?
Interested....
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:41pm
Hmm...

That was mentioned last week and I thought Albert was going to post a MSF link or maybe dedicate a thread to NGOs.
I'll ask him tomorrow (or he'll see it here).

If memory serves MSF was mentioned because they seem to be most effective handling treatment centers, but I'm really not sure.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:44pm
Flumom, I'm a bit worried about the prospect of stepping out suited and booted and looking like a UN worker because the vast majority won't be prepared to any where near the same extent and we'll look very out of place. 

I wonder if appearing in PPE will make us a target. Perhaps people will look and think that if you've got all that PPE, what else will you have. Let's face it, this stuff isn't cheap and it might cause people to try and take it off you, or to follow you home to see what other gear / preps you have. 

If you are just planning it to go out and fetch water, you might be better off just trying to avoid people. Ebola isn't airborne (except in close contact ie. less than 3 feet), and it can't jump. If you wore disposable gloves and stayed a good 10 feet from anyone you meet then surely you'd be ok. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:45pm
Thank you GM.
Interested....
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:45pm
Sorry! GN
Interested....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:49pm
Good point KiwiMum. I can get water at night, and I guess most people will be wearing gloves and masks. If you double layer clothing or put the coveralls under your clothes you won't look out of place.

I think I will purchase some coveralls and cover with clothing, better than nothing.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 7:55pm
Quite welcome Prairie!  :)
sms View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 8:56pm
A rain suit,motorcycle helmet ,duck tape, rubber boots, rubber gloves and a flat pan with bleach to stand in a spray bottle of bleach and a hose to wash the whole outfit off with.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:22am
Flumom, I'm thinking the whole suit thing would still be very useful to have. You never know when you might need it, for example, if you had to visit a medical facility for some reason, or you had a sick relative to tend to. Then it would be invaluable. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 12:39am
Yes, i am just trying to decide which suit I need. I am sure it needs to be disposable and water proof finding that is not easy. One site had B type suits for 100.00 each that is pretty expensive. Found boots for 39.00 that I can sanitize. Need more gloves can get those at a local store.

Wish someone would tell me what coverall to buy!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 1:50am
I believe you need one that is waterproof and has taped seams. 
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 11:44am
Well I guess the cheap ones on Amazon I've been looking at are a no go then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic