Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Fox news just reported " we have 60 days".

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fox news just reported " we have 60 days".
    Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:02pm
If we don't get it under control Ebola wins and we loose. Many,many will die.We have 60 days to win the battle against Ebola.
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:05pm
Yep. Scary stuff. I think you must be referring to this guy...the UN’s deputy Ebola co-ordinator Anthony Banbury

The UN has warned the world has just 60 days to get Ebola under control, or face an “unprecedented situation for which we don’t have a plan”.

A new report issued by the organisation’s health arm, the World Health Organisation, says the virus “is running faster than us and it is winning the race” as it sweeps West Africa and has begun to make its way across the globe.

Source link: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/ebola-crisis-united-nations-warns-the-world-has-60-days-to-get-the-disease-under-control/story-fneuzlbd-1227092089027

.... seems like they should start making a plan, if the don't have one.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:07pm
waterboy,the 60 day thing may be correct but the problem is that we have a total idiot as president.Johnray1
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

waterboy,the 60 day thing may be correct but the problem is that we have a total idiot as president.Johnray1

?????
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:12pm
Look at everything the drudgereport.com is talking about?

NYT THURSDAY: EBOLA ANXIETY GROWS...
WASH POST: Threat of virus might interfere with commerce, daily routines...
BOEHNER URGES TRAVEL BAN...
NIGHTMARE: NEW PATIENT FLEW DAY BEFORE...
Knowingly Traveled With 'Low-Grade Fever'...
Called CDC before boarding flight...
PLANE MADE 5 FLIGHTS BEFORE TAKEN OUT OF SERVICE...
Airline Stocks Nosedive...
Passenger Wears HAZMAT To Dulles Airport...
Panic Hits TV News Divisions...
CDC says missed opportunities to contain...
Nurses outraged: 'There was no protocol, there was no system'...
Obama cancels fundraising trip...
'Confident we can prevent serious outbreak'...
COULTER: We'll Tell You How Dangerous Ebola Is -- After Election!
SAVAGE: 'If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola'...
LEVIN: CDC 'trying to cover its ass'...
LIMBAUGH: Obama's Deadly Failure...

inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:20pm

Uncalled for!
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:26pm
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:26pm
Ebola crisis: United Nations warns the world has 60 days to get the disease under control

This story was published: 1 hour ago October 16, 2014 12:21PM

THE countdown is officially on.

The UN has warned the world has just 60 days to get Ebola under control, or face an “unprecedented situation for which we don’t have a plan”.

A new report issued by the organisation’s health arm, the World Health Organisation, says the virus “is running faster than us and it is winning the race” as it sweeps West Africa and has begun to make its way across the globe.
Speaking at the UN Security Council yesterday, the UN’s deputy Ebola co-ordinator Anthony Banbury outlined critical goals for the December deadline.

“The WHO advises within 60 days we must ensure 70 per cent of infected people are in a care facility and 70 per cent of burials are done without causing further infection,” he said.

It’s the first time the UN has created a mission in response to a public health crisis, warning the goals must be completed or “a lot more people will die”.

Banbury said he was “deeply, deeply concerned” that all of the efforts so far won’t be enough to stop the outbreak.

The warning comes as the number of cases of Ebola has hit the 9000 mark, the deadly virus killing more than half it has affected.
The World Health Organisation says West Africa could see up to 10,000 new Ebola cases a week within two months if the outbreak is not adequately contained.

For the last four weeks, there have been about 1000 new cases per week — including suspected, confirmed and probable cases, he said, adding that the UN health agency is aiming to get 70 per cent of cases isolated within two months to reverse the outbreak.

NEW US DIAGNOSES

While containing the disease in Ebola-stricken West African countries is the priority, the stern warning comes as a second US nurse has been diagnosed with the disease.

The woman, who treated America’s first Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, is the third person to receive a diagnosis in the US following another nurse, Nina Pham, who had also treated the victim.
The second nurse’s diagnoses has sparked fears of further spreading as it is revealed she flew across the country’s Midwest aboard a commercial flight the day before she was diagnosed.

The nurse did not present until a fever until the following day, but should not have travelled following being in contact with the victim, authorities have warned.

CDC director Tom Frieden has now warned no one else involved in Duncan’s care will be allowed to travel “other than in a controlled environment”.

The second nurse will be transferred to a special bio-containment unit at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, where other Ebola patients have been successfully treated, Frieden said.

Read More Here: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/ebola-crisis-united-nations-warns-the-world-has-60-days-to-get-the-disease-under-control/story-fneuzlbd-1227092089027
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

Obama isn't an idiot. He's very cleverly doing everything in his power to destroy our country.

I just hope that if Ebola gets entrenched in this country because of his refusal to ban travel that he's one of the first people to get it.

You, Sir, are an idiot as well!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:34pm
No it's ok inthesticks.  Johnray is not a rogue party basher.  He's earned it.   Not everyone is democrat and plus everyone has the right to yell at their leaders, lol.  He's not bashing.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:38pm
IMO, hating on any sitting President is rude and uncalled for. The office of President should be respected, regardless of who is in power at the time.

Hatred of President Obama runs deeper than the Ebola crisis. The right wing fanatics have done everything in their power to bash him since he took office.

Get over it, assholes! If you folk don't like who is in office, then get off your butts and vote in 2016.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:40pm
Okay. 

Let's try not to talk about politics.    Thumbs Up
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:44pm
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by inthesticks inthesticks wrote:

Uncalled for!

I agree. Absolutely uncalled for and irrelevant.
Some of these comments are ridiculous Albert and are getting in the way of informing folks and being a place we can come for good information.
Interested....
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

Generically speaking, it seems that whenever your candidate is in office that you believe we all need to respect him. However, when the opposing candidate gets into office it's fair game. That's the way it's always been and always will be. Hating on a sitting president isn't rude, it is simply one's opinion. If you have no room for anyone else's opinion, then that is your problem, not mine.

This is typical Republithug-speak. I'll say it again for those who cannot seem to grasp the concept...publically bashing a sitting President is rude and DISPRESPECTFUL of the office of POTUS.

My problem is with people like yourself. You right-wingers just cannot stop posting your vile policital crap here at AFT, and I've tried to be quiet on the subject for several day now. However, I won't simply stand by while you are given free reign to bash President Obama. Not without a reply from me.

And Albert, if you were serious about stopping the political crap here at AFT, you would would have stopped it.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:04pm
Let's let this one slide gang.   Johnray is dealing with a lot, and although maybe this thread can distract him for a minute to get him off the pain,  we should probably give him a break on this.    He has quite a bit more to worry about than the President.  
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:07pm
Then he needs to keep his mouth shut about politics here. He should know better since he is a senior member of AFT.

So, I suppose that if a member is having a rough time in his/her personal life, the rest of us should just let them slide with whatever comments that they may make. Not very objective now, is it?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:09pm
Well this thread isn't news so we'll relocate to general discussion.   Meanwhile, be good.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:14pm
inthe sticks. I know that this will probably get me banded from this board but I would really like to meet you in person and face to face and have you tell me to shut my mouth.Johnray1
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:15pm
Can no one ever extend grace to another when things get this heated so fast?!?

If the President himself were posting here tonight and read any negative post about himself would he respond in grace & restate his position or would he rip apart & attack someone!  If you admire the man then act like him.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:16pm

inthe sticks. I know that this will probably get me banded from this board but I would really like to meet you in person and face to face and have you tell me to shut my mouth.Johnray1

Anytime, asshole. I'm in Arkansas, look me up. There are plenty of places to bury turds like you here.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:21pm
inthesticks,I do not think that I have seen so much hatred,so quick,from some one that does not even know me. I live in WV and I have no intentions of going to Arkansas for any reason,I have been there and I have no desire to go back.
As far as you having plenty of places to bury turds like me,it has been tried in many countries and for some reason I always seem to come home,unhurt.Johnray1
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:24pm
Sheesh take it easy inthesticks, whatever happened to the people helping people thing? 
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:30pm

inthesticks,I do not think that I have seen so much hatred,so quick,from some one that does not even know me. I live in WV and I have no intentions of going to Arkansas for any reason,I have been there and I have no desire to go back.
As far as you having plenty of places to bury turds like me,it has been tried in many countries and for some reason I always seem to come home,unhurt.Johnray1

West Virginia is no vacation paradise, I can tell you that. I've been there as well. Outside Mississippi, WV is probably one of the worst places to live.

And it wasn't me who first made a threatening post. But I'm damned sure not afraid to stand up to the likes of you.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:32pm
intehsticks,you are a joke.Johnray1
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:32pm
This started long before sticks and Johnray, and much of the anger here tonight comes from that history.
It would be nice to see both let it go.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:33pm
Guest,I have already let it go.Johnray1
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:33pm
sticks - calm down.   Let's just drop it.   We don't want personal attacks.   You're better than that and you almost owe Johnray an apology for swearing at him.   Let's don't do that and you made your point. 

waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by inthesticks inthesticks wrote:

Anytime, asshole. I'm in Arkansas, look me up. There are plenty of places to bury turds like you here.

Come on guys. We may have a real serious situation brewing? Love one another.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:51pm
Look guys and girls. I have my own -possibly somewhat twisted views of the current administration that are not nice at all. I mean, I am Trashcanman for many of you who may remember. That was a few years ago. My comments caused Albert a lot of grief. Was not my intention. For the general health of this particular web site and its sisters, I think it's OK to voice, in moderation, your own personal feelings or views of the political team you may or may not like or support as relates, in your views to virus issues. We're all grownups here and should be able to have that freedom if acting responsibly. The use of certain key words like stupid, idiot, moron, imbecile, racist, and others are not the best choice of words to use if we want to try and keep -or evolve to obtaining an atmosphere on AFT that is more diplomatically swell. Even I can see the value in that. Remember. The strong take away from the weak. But the smart take away from the strong. We are a smart bunch on here...Avian Flu Talk. The whole world may soon be watching us. Watching what we say. Watching what we do. As the faith in entities such as the UN, WHO and CDC begin to dwindle -and that is abstract happening now, many people the world over may seek out guidance in us instead. Already happening. Our choice and use of language will have a baring on whether we ourselves are looked up to or down on. Our credibility is at stake. Make it or break it.
"And then there were none."
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:53pm
Well said Onefluover!!!
Interested....
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:16pm
So to get back on topic.......................does anyone on this site really think that 70% of ebola victims can be cared for in Africa when firstly there are so few facilities available and few medical staff, and secondly, when so many Ebola victims are unknown / unaccounted for / hidden from the authorities?

I think it is something that is achievable in the Western world where we have excellent communication networks and plenty of medical facilities, but Africa is a whole different kettle of fish. I don't think it's possible to contain it and I don't have any good ideas of what to do to improve things. 

The real problem, as I see it, is that confidence in equipment has been seriously undermined among medical staff and I can't imagine they are queuing up to go and help. If you're not safe in a team of 70 staff looking after one man with Ebola in a state of the art isolation unit, what chance do you have in Africa with poor / non existent facilities and hundreds of patients to deal with?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:51pm
Without something as basic as water, I'm not sure how well things can be controlled in Africa. I saw on the news we are sending troops over there. I worry for their safety. I don't know what the answer is, but it is a scary situation.
If we start getting many more ebola cases here in the USA I think it would be difficult to keep it under control, even with whatever medicine and technology we have to help...bottom line...we don't have a cure or a way to stop it at the moment.
Most of our health care workers aren't trained for such a highly contagious threat.
If it just stays to one patient here and one there, we will be OK, but if we start seeing dozens in every city...we are in trouble....just my 2 cents.
I say, be prepared to quarantine ourselves OR we may have mandatory quarantine. I don't know...but this is my guess if things got really bad.
If it got bad, schools could be closed...then what do folks do with their children? Would people go to work? What would happen to our economy? The infrastructure of our society? Would trucks be delivering food to grocery stores? Would garbage be picked up? These are questions I don't have answers to obviously, but it's good to think about it and think about what we, personally, would do.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:17pm
A ray of light perhaps? I think emotions are running so high is because the Obama Administration doesn't offering a logical explanation for allowing travelers from Africa to enter America! I've read that 150 people a day are entering America a day from the affected African countries. A travel ban is the only logical thing to do for the sake of our preservation.

Russia Claims to Have Ebola Vaccine
mashable.com/2014/10/13/russia-ebola-vaccine/
Opium is the opiate of the masses
Littleraven1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 3:23am
Well said mrmouse! When you talk about upwards of 150 people a day coming in from these areas it puts it into frightening perspective. What then are the odds that one or two or even more may be carrying the virus and potentially exposing others? Again I ask why have they not closed the flights out of these infected areas? What is the motive for continuing this game of Russian roulette with the lives of the public?
There's a bad moon on the rise
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:35am
Littleraven1, where are the airline unions? You would think they'd be out in front of the camera pleading their case for a travel ban to protect their members!

CDC: 150 People Enter U.S. Per Day from Ebola-Stricken Countries--or 4,500 Per Month
m.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/cdc-150-people-enter-us-day-ebola-stricken-countries-or-4500-month
Opium is the opiate of the masses
Littleraven1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 1:05pm
Absolutley mrmouse! Not to mention the many other organized groups who might oppose being unecessarily exposed to this disease due to the arrogance and lack of proactive action on the part of our elected leaders. I keep asking myself what they must be thinking to justify their inaction.
There's a bad moon on the rise
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic