Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Flu Shots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu Shots
    Posted: October 28 2014 at 8:34am
What is difference in the shots this year ? My Mom is 90 and CVS said she had to wait for hers till it came in. Is there a shortage ?
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 9:27am
mamabear4 - This years there are two different shots. One covers H1N1, H3N2 and one type of influenza B, the other covers two types of B virus. As far as supply it will depend on which manufacture and distributer CVS uses and what kind of agreement they have. Personally, since CVS moved their headquarters out of the U.S. to avoid paying taxes I won't use them! Our local Walgreens has had it for weeks!
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 9:36am

Nationwide Call to Action, November 1: Nurses Against Mandatory Vaccines

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/10/nationwide-call-to-action-november-1.html#more

there is little to no evidence that supports mandatory flu vaccination for health care workers

apparently the CDC is at it again'

truly an organization that cannot be trusted

mamabear4 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 12:02pm
Just returned from CVS. They said there is    a high dose and low dose vaccine. My Mom needs the high dose according to them because of her age. They will not be getting any more high dose this season and they will not be making anymore. I then called her Dr. and he has some. If the CDC is pushing flu shots why don't they make enough?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 6:13pm
The way it was explained to me by the public health nurse is that there are 3 flu vacines: one for over 65, one for adults under 65, then they are giving the flu mist to those that are 6 months to 19 years. The shots take two weeks to take effect and the flu mist takes much less time to take effect.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

The way it was explained to me by the public health nurse is that there are 3 flu vacines: one for over 65, one for adults under 65, then they are giving the flu mist to those that are 6 months to 19 years. The shots take two weeks to take effect and the flu mist takes much less time to take effect.

If I had an elderly parent, I'd bribe the doctor to provide the flu mist. 

The only vaccine shown to protect against infection or death in older adults, it said, is the live-attenuated vaccine—an inhalable vaccine that contains a live, modified version of the virus—which is not approved in the U.S. for adults over age 50.
CRS, DrPH
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

That's exactly what we were told as well Penham.  My two kids got the mist I got the shot.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 7:20am

Government Study: Flu Vaccine not Effective for Elderly – Death Rates Increased

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/government-study-flu-vaccine-not-effective-for-elderly-death-rates-increased/

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 7:32am

Margaret McCartney: What use is mass flu vaccination?

http://h7n9flunews.com/margaret-mccartney-what-use-is-mass-flu-vaccination-the-bmj/

I'm not one of these anti vaccine types

but when it comes to the flu shot

honest studies show

that it just isn't that effective

particularly in certain groups

yet

every year

what do we hear ?

get a flu shot or die

aaahhhh !!!!!!!

that money would be better spent in other areas of public health

Diligent View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diligent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:30am
In Canada, for those 65> receive the Fluad product w/ adjuvant MF-59.

I would check with the pharmacy again, and ask if high dose means 'adjuvanted ' vaccine.

Just to be sure, and informed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic