Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Heath officials to order Hickox to quarantine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heath officials to order Hickox to quarantine
    Posted: October 29 2014 at 4:27am
Looks like they may need to get a court order on Hickox to quarantine her.   Still confused why MSF won't simply tell her to quarantine since she may very well have been exposed.  They're letting their great work be over shadowed by their erratic behavior.   She only has to quarantine for two more weeks.   Maybe Louie Troh can talk her through it?

Maine officials threaten to order returning Ebola nurse to follow quarantine protocol

Ebola Quarantined Nur_Cham6403601027.jpg

This undated image provided by University of Texas at Arlington shows Kaci Hickox. (AP Photo/University of Texas at Arlington)

Maine health officials said Tuesday that they are prepared to go to court to force nurse Kaci Hickox to comply with the state's "voluntary" 21-day quarantine period for health care workers who have treated Ebola patients. 

Department of Health and Human Services Commissioner Mary Mayhew declined during a news conference to comment specifically on Hickox, who was confined against her will at a New Jersey hospital before traveling home to Maine. But Mayhew said her department and the attorney general's office were prepared to take legal steps to enforce a quarantine if someone declines to cooperate.

"We do not want to have to legally enforce in-home quarantine," she said. "We're confident that selfless health workers who were brave enough to care for Ebola patients in a foreign country will be willing to take reasonable steps to protect residents of their own country. However we are willing to pursue legal authority if necessary to ensure risk is minimized for Mainers."

Hickox's lawyer insisted Tuesday that she was not under quarantine and said she was seeking time to decompress at an undisclosed location in Maine.

Hickox, who volunteered in Africa with Doctors Without Borders, was the first person forced into New Jersey's mandatory quarantine for people arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport from three West African countries.

Hickox, who spent the weekend in a quarantine tent, said she never had Ebola symptoms and tested negative in a preliminary evaluation, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo were sharply criticized for ordering mandatory quarantines.

In Maine, a quarantine comes into play only when people have had contact with Ebola patients; others who've been to the three countries will be monitored, officials said.

On Monday, Hickox traveled from New Jersey to Maine, where her boyfriend is a senior nursing student at the University of Maine at Fort Kent. Her boyfriend opted to leave Fort Kent to spend time with her during the quarantine period, officials said Tuesday.

If Hickox were to show Ebola symptoms, then her boyfriend and any others who had contact with her also would be subject to quarantine, Mayhew said.

The news of Hickox's return to Maine swept across the town of Fort Kent and the university campus, which has 1,400 students.

Faith Morneault, a 19-year-old behavioral science student, said news that Hickox may be headed to Fort Kent had caused "a lot of panic" among students. But she said she understands her desire to go home.

"You can't freak out in this situation. You have to understand it," she said.

Another student, 20-year-old behavioral science major Kayla Michaud, said students also are worried because of the potential presence of Hickox's boyfriend in the school community.

"If she's in quarantine, is he going to be quarantined, because we don't all want to be contaminated with the Ebola virus," she said.

Not everyone was alarmed, however.

Paul Berube, who works at a local credit union, said he thinks some residents are "overreacting."

"Listen, we don't live in a Third World country. We have some of the best medical hospitals here. We're prepared for it. We can't stop living. We need to live one day at a time and just be happy," said Berube, 58.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 5:55am
I don't think she will listen to MSF, she is vowing to defy the quarantine order. This is an example of an educated, spoiled brat who can potentially cause the death of other people.

The reason of a "quarantine" is because, even with testing, the medical community's best science cannot rule out infection until the quarantine is over.

This is so childish.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:07am
Crazy stuff eh Pheasant?

I personally think they would listen to MSF, and MSF could prep them on the returning protocols. 

I'm afraid it's 100% MSF behind fighting this whole thing young gun.  This is straight from their website:

As long as a returned staff member does not experience any symptoms, normal life can proceed. Family, friends, and neighbors can be assured that a returned staff person who does not present symptoms is not contagious and does not put them at risk. Self-quarantine is neither warranted nor recommended when a person is not displaying Ebola-like symptoms.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/article/msf-protocols-staff-returning-ebola-affected-countries

MSF is doing a great job, but they're behind their peeps not following protocols, fighting the outgoing flight bans, pushing for the U.S. to treat W. African patients here, etc...   

I don't like picking on MSF because of the good work they're doing, but these heroes are also a bunch of renegades calling ALL the shots.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:09am
And that's.... the rest of the story....

You also don't hear Fauchi saying anything about it. Dead silent on the issue.   He knows it's the right thing to do, but he's terrified of upsetting MSF as so is Obama.  

MSF is clearly saying no quarantine unless you show symptoms. 
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:13am
Well Heck if they are displaying symptoms they'll be on their way to the hospital!!  So what good does it do to tell these people to quarantine.  Obviously they know best. Angry
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:21am
Crazy stuff.  MSF wants the U.S. to treat patients here, yet MSF is against basic protocols.   I would say don't treat W. Africa patients here based on poor decisions being made by MSF.   Again, not picking on them as they're doing a very good job, I just think they're decisions in all other areas are border line disastrous.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 7:10am
Yo Pheasant, your girl is getting upset.   Big smile

Kaci Hickox: I'll Go To Court If Maine Quarantines Me Over Ebola

FORT KENT, Maine (AP) — A nurse who was confined against her will at a New Jersey hospital after returning from West Africa where she treated Ebola patients said Wednesday that she's prepared to go to court if the state of Maine tries to quarantine her.

Kaci Hickox spoke to NBC's "Today" show and ABC's "Good Morning America" from Fort Kent, where her boyfriend is a senior nursing student.

She said she has so far abided by the state's voluntary quarantine. She had no contact with anyone Tuesday and will have no human contact again Wednesday, she said.

"I don't plan on sticking to the guidelines," Hickox said on "Today." ''I remain appalled by these home quarantine policies that have been forced upon me even though I am in perfectly good health."

Her lawyer told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Hickox isn't willing to cooperate further unless the state lifts "all or most of the restrictions."

Hickox, who volunteered in Africa with Doctors Without Borders, was the first person forced into New Jersey's mandatory quarantine for people arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport from three West African countries.

Hickox, who spent the weekend in a quarantine tent, said she never had Ebola symptoms and tested negative in a preliminary evaluation, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo were sharply criticized for ordering mandatory quarantines.

"I am not going to sit around and be bullied by politicians and forced to stay in my home when I am not a risk to the American public," she said.

On Tuesday, Department of Health and Human Services Commissioner Mary Mayhew said her department and the attorney general's office were prepared to take legal steps to legally enforce the state's voluntary quarantine if someone declines to cooperate.

"We do not want to have to legally enforce in-home quarantine," she said. "We're confident that selfless health workers who were brave enough to care for Ebola patients in a foreign country will be willing to take reasonable steps to protect residents of their own country."

One of Hickox's lawyers, Norman Siegel, said the quarantine can't be voluntary if she's being coerced by the state. He said she returned Tuesday evening to Fort Kent and has a state trooper stationed outside her home.

Maine Gov. Paul LePage canceled his campaign events Wednesday to deal with the situation, his office said.

Siegel said he remains hopeful the state will ease its restrictions. If not, then the state would have to go to court, and Siegel would challenge the state's action, he said.

"Our position is very simple. There's no justification for the state of Maine to quarantine her. She has no symptoms and therefore she's not contagious. And she's not at a risk to the public or the health and welfare of people in the state of Maine," he said.

Comment:  Doubtful she's even checking her temp daily.  Maybe she should reflect on the Spencer case.  He thought he was fine, now he's in the hospital.   She may very well develop symptoms in the next few days.  If so, let's hope she admits herself and notifies officials.  She's liable to pull a patrick sawyer move at this stage. 
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 7:19am

Wish I could see the looks she gets while she's walking down Main St.  I'm willing to bet she's not the most popular person right now.

It's not even just the facts about Ebola or fear mongering or whatever they want to call it... her attitude turns people off.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 7:22am
I don't know if she'd pull a Sawyer but I bet she wouldn't go in right away!  Pride baby, pride!  She'd never admit to it just because of that.  Not until she felt sick enough to get scared.  Then she might try to use the attorney to be admitted to Emory anonymous like that one case.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 7:29am
No idea why MSF is instructing them not to self quarantine when they return. Surely they can see the uproar and problems it's causing. Officials already had to disinfect an entire bowling alley because of spencer. Why is MSF causing these added problems is what I'm wondering. A little confusing. Where did all this anger and chip come from?
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 7:48am
Anger can come from arrogance.  You've seen it here on AFT.  When people think they know more than you & you refuse to listen to them their arrogance turns to anger.

Maybe Doctors W/O Boarders are saying... "We are smarter than you crazy people, we know more about Ebola than you do, we are right & you are wrong... listen to us & submit to our authority on this or we will get angry & act like brats & kick & fuss".
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 8:15am

I've defended Hickox previously

but I have to withdraw my support,

by failing to voluntarily home quarantine she is being HIGHLY irresponsible

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 8:18am
Agreed Satori!

State police now stationed outside Kaci Hickox's Fort Kent, Maine, home for 'both for her protection and health of community,' according to Maine Gov. Paul LePage -
[link to www.breakingnews.com]
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 8:51am
it's a shame that she has managed to turn everyone off with her attitude.  Totally undoes all the good she did while over there.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 9:10am
In my view, she represents all of MSF, as does Spencer.   When Spencer developed a temp, his first call was to MSF.   Trust me, Hickox is not acting alone and is just another pawn.   If MSF told her to isolate, she would.   Now we're about to have a legal battle with MSF and their peeps.  2 workers returned, and both are causing enormous problems.  Anyone seen MSF lately?  Can only picture their directors sitting behind their desks chuckling at all this and wondering what else they can do next.

They were heroes in all of this, and they should be.  They're self destructing.

Maybe we should ban all incoming and outgoing flights altogether so they can focus on their jobs and what they signed up for.   Might be a little harsh, but in total, not sure the W. African slum folk are worth all this.  Really some bad people over there.  

If MSF cares so little about infecting other countries, imagine how much they hate helping the folk in the W. Africa slums.   They probably can't stand risking their lives for them.  And I believe it's showing.
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 10:53am
Sorry I have to take a contrary view(its just the way I am).

Look if you make it too hard on health workers.... they will refuse to go.   Would that be better?

Also we have had several cases in western nations how...   and NO evidence of community spread of the illness.  I would even argue that even if these returning healthcare workers cause some community cases, it would be worth it.   The priority HAS to be fighting it in Africa, even if that  triggers some cases here, it is better for everyone in the long term.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:10am
The easiest thing to do is for them to simply self quarantine for 21 days.   Not sure what the big deal is.  Something tells me that the idea of self isolation down the road won't be happening much now and people will fight it.   Over isolating for 21 days?   I would personally like being alone and not bothered, but that's me.    In home isolation I would bbq everyday, swim, and watch Pheasant's favorite show Steve Wilkos.   If there is a mandatory self isolation - sign me up.

Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:16am
Home quarantine seems reasonable.   Would you agree though... the way the nurse was treated was somewhat inhumane?

Some people need to make a living... who would pay them while they are in home quarantine?

Something else to consider... most of these workers are only going over there for 3 weeks at a time or so,  the home quarantine would effective double their commitment.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:16am
I hear you Albert as I'm the same way! Just love being home..Always something to do.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
mamabear4 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:17am
Question ?? Has anyone seen any info. on why she came back to the states. It seems like the others came back when they may have realized that they were exposed. Maybe they should fly to Italy for a military quarantine before coming back. They shouldn't be susprised that they have to quarantine when they return.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:22am
I'm pretty sure that MSF are wanting more and more doctors and nurses to help them out, but if a 6 week trip to an ebola country then involves a further 3 weeks of quarantine, it might dissuade people from volunteering to help. I suspect that is their motive. 

I doubt there are many HCW with young families who are volunteering, so perhaps it's all young, unmarried doctors and nurses who are going. Can you imagine any twenty something wanting to sit at home for 3 weeks? You'd have thought they would be gagging for a few beers and a chance to tell everyone what they've seen/done. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Guest Guest wrote:

Home quarantine seems reasonable.   Would you agree though... the way the nurse was treated was somewhat inhumane?

Some people need to make a living... who would pay them while they are in home quarantine?

Something else to consider... most of these workers are only going over there for 3 weeks at a time or so,  the home quarantine would effective double their commitment.

Well they should definitely be compensated as if they're still on the job in W. Africa.  No brainer. Wonder why MSF won't do that or push for that.  They don't seem to care much about their own peeps at this point.

Not sure if she was mistreated in the quarantine situation as we only heard her story.  Maybe she had to leave the tent to shower.  Maybe her cell was being disinfected.  Two sides to this and she obviously complains about anything under the sun.

She should have been a leader in perfecting and assisting in the "tent isolation program".  Help make it suitable for others by pointing out flaws, etc.... and make it easier for the rest who follow in her foot steps. She could have worked with them and been a leader for others by example.  No doubt Christie would have done anything for her.  Probably would have had everything she wants - along with making the history books as a true leader in this process.  First ever.

Instead, she hires an attorney, doesn't abide by even home isolation, and is now filing a law suit.  She has deep routed issues spawning from her superiors.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:26am
I like MSF and they're needed.  Just interpreting the events as I see them, is all.  

It almost seems as though they scared them out of Monrovia. 
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:29am
Originally posted by coyote coyote wrote:

I hear you Albert as I'm the same way! Just love being home..Always something to do.

It would be a vacation Coyote.    Exactly where does Hickox need to go?    Let her stock up on her pot for a couple weeks so she feels better.   
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

I'm pretty sure that MSF are wanting more and more doctors and nurses to help them out, but if a 6 week trip to an ebola country then involves a further 3 weeks of quarantine, it might dissuade people from volunteering to help.

That's a good point.  They should say it's a 9 week job from the beginning - and explain the process to them.  6 weeks in W. Africa, and then 3 weeks in isolation - and make the isolation a part of the entire mission.  And explain it's not over until Isolation is complete, and compensate them while in isolation of course. 

Not sure why the superiors at MSF can't figure that out.  Maybe they don't want to or maybe they're not capable.  Who knows.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:55am
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:57am
One final solution -- Start forming a world wide med team from around the world of around a thousand, compensate them very good, and build a dream team.    And pull out MSF altogether and replace them.  Not sure Spencer was qualified by virtue of not self isolating and lying to the police.  Not sure if those doctors have suspended licenses and can't practice elsewhere, but MSF couldn't contain this at 100 cases.   The WHO and CDC employ a total of 13,000 people, not including our military docs.   I think it's time to look at pulling MSF from W. Africa and going to plan B.  This thing aint work'in the way it's going. 
HazelPad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HazelPad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:03pm
Piers Morgan in Daily Mail article is scathing about her refusal to go into self quarantine.

Here is quote from his article which sum up how a lot of people are feeling.

Nurse Hickox, spent the last few weeks directly treating Ebola patients, immersing herself at the sharpest, most HIGHLY infectious end of the very epicentre of this dreadful disease.

Nurse Hickox, I keep being assured, is one of the most selfless human beings on Planet Earth. On the podium of public opinion right now she'd probably give Mother Teresa a run as Greatest Nurse in History.

Really?

Let's consider some hard facts

Selfless' Ebola Nurse Kaci is actually utterly selfish. Three weeks in quarantine won’t kill her – and it might just save someone's life,

Nurse Hickox was tested several times for Ebola and the results were negative. Her fever stopped and after 65 hours in quarantine she was allowed to go home to Maine.

She's been asked to stay inside that home for the full recommended 21 day quarantine, but she is refusing. Instead, Nurse Hickox has lawyered up, and hit the airwaves. She's become a media superstar, a Joan of Arc heroine courageously battling the outrageous treatment of a cold-hearted political barbarian.

Nurse Hickox wants us to know she's 'outraged', 'demeaned', 'insulted', 'violated' and 'horrified' by what's happened to her.
It's a 'shocking breach' of her human rights and an 'assault' on her Constitutional freedoms.

As her boyfriend Ted Wilbur put it, Governor Christie 'messed with the wrong redhead!'

I predict a book, a TV mini-series – perhaps even a movie, with Jennifer Lawrence playing The Ebola Angel.

My own view is that Nurse Hickox, like Dr Spencer, is an exceptionally brave person whose work in West Africa has been quite astonishingly selfless.
In that sense, she is absolutely a heroine.
But as we saw with Dr Spencer, her behaviour since she returned to America has been equally astonishing – in its reckless selfishness.

Nurse Hickox should stop her pathetic squealing, fire her lawyer, get off TV, thank her lucky stars she's not got Ebola, and stay inside her damn home for the next couple of weeks to ensure there's not a tiny scintilla of chance she could infect a fellow American.
This advice is not in any medical journal. It's called 'common sense'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2812760/PIERS-MORGAN-Selfless-Ebola-Nurse-Kaci-actually-utterly-selfish-Three-weeks-quarantine-won-t-kill-just-save-s-life.html#ixzz3HYoElcIo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:11pm
lol .... glad to see I'm not alone in this.    Wait until they catch up with the times and realize its her superiors doing this.  Pierce should talk to the MSF directors and ask why they have on their website that there is no need to isolate when they return.  It's right on MSF's site for God sakes.  

As long as a returned staff member does not experience any symptoms, normal life can proceed. Family, friends, and neighbors can be assured that a returned staff person who does not present symptoms is not contagious and does not put them at risk. Self-quarantine is neither warranted nor recommended when a person is not displaying Ebola-like symptoms.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/article/msf-protocols-staff-returning-ebola-affected-countries

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:18pm
OH GOD NO!  Im sorry, I can't go on........Shocked........  I just agreed with Piers Morgan!  The Shame!!!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:25pm
If you think MSF is confusing by having on their website that there is no need to self isolate when they return,  people will love this one.  MSF is complaining about lack of help, yet they have on their website that they don't want volunteers for W. Africa.   Wacko    

UPDATE ON STAFFING FOR THE EBOLA CRISIS:

Please be advised that, at this time, Doctors Without Borders is no longer recruiting specifically for the Ebola emergency in West Africa. However, if you would like to be considered for the Ebola response in addition to other field assignments, please specify this on your field application.

Future updates regarding recruitment for the Ebola crisis will be posted on our website.

Thank you very much for your interest.  We appreciate your willingness to contribute to our efforts.  

For further inquiries, email Field.HR@newyork.msf.org. Please note that we are responding to a high volume of emails at the moment and will do our best to respond in a timely manner.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/work-us/work-field/applying-msf

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:40pm
Ok let's put it altogether here in one piece from MSF website:

MSF:

UPDATE ON STAFFING FOR THE EBOLA CRISIS:

Please be advised that, at this time, Doctors Without Borders is no longer recruiting specifically for the Ebola emergency in West Africa. However, if you would like to be considered for the Ebola response in addition to other field assignments, please specify this on your field application.

Future updates regarding recruitment for the Ebola crisis will be posted on our website.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by guest guest wrote:

I would even argue that even if these returning healthcare workers cause some community cases, it would be worth it.   The priority HAS to be fighting it in Africa, even if that  triggers some cases here, it is better for everyone in the long term.

Are you serious!?  Fine then sign your husband/wife, sister/brother, mother/father, son/daughter up for the sacrificial community case.  As for me & my family!  No thank you.  You can't just say that like you are removed from the situation & it won't affect you.  That person is someone's loved one.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

OH GOD NO!  Im sorry, I can't go on........Shocked........  I just agreed with Piers Morgan!  The Shame!!!

Yeah really me too!! 
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 2:37pm
Jen,

Think about the effect it would have on the quarantine battle if this nurse eventually tested positive (hoping she would survive).
After all the fuss she has caused, and all the public grandstanding, if she tested positive the door would be shut on the argument for future quarantines.
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 2:39pm
By "for" future quarantines, I actually mean "against".

:)
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 2:54pm

as to the criticism by Piers Morgan ???

ha ha ha 

too funny

this is the idiot  who is 100% gun control

but who employed an ARMED security service to protect him

glad he lost his job at CNN

just another soap box hero

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Germ Nerdier Germ Nerdier wrote:

Jen,

Think about the effect it would have on the quarantine battle if this nurse eventually tested positive (hoping she would survive).
After all the fuss she has caused, and all the public grandstanding, if she tested positive the door would be shut on the argument for future quarantines.

Yes I totally agree.  But rarely does irony work out in your favor that way.  Now before anyone blasts me for what appears to be me wishing this woman would get ebola... please, I don't mean it that way!  I hope she stays healthy all her entire life.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 6:03pm
Who the hell is Hickups? Is she that lady that works for that organization that has a terrible track record of keeping their doctors and nurses free of Ebola? Next she's going to show up in the Oval Office in an Abu Ghraib moment. Chain her to the water pipes if they have to. Sheesh!
"And then there were none."
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

Who the hell is Hickups? Is she that lady that works for that organization that has a terrible track record of keeping their doctors and nurses free of Ebola? Next she's going to show up in the Oval Office in an Abu Ghraib moment. Chain her to the water pipes if they have to. Sheesh!
ClapClap
CRS, DrPH
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

She needs to be arrested and tard and feathered.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 12:58am
waterboy,right now she is the hero of every nurse in this country. She is basically telling all of the doctors and other healthcare professionals that they(Nurses) know everything and no one else knows anything. That will go over big until the first person refuses quarantine and infects their and friends.Johnray1
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 5:20am
I would say she might be hero to some.  But every news article or facebook post you read about her... take a look down in the comments.  You will see the overwhelming majority if not every single comment against her with many speaking up saying, "I am a nurse... she should be ashamed of herself" or "She's giving nurses a bad name."  I know that might not be an accurate barometer of the entire country but I doubt she's got a huge following.
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 6:56am

Photo: Maine nurse Kaci Hickox and her boyfriend leave their home on bikes, defying quarantine order - @WLBZ2 via @PressHerald

see original on pressherald.com
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 11:22am
How selfish and irresponsible can you be? I am glad I don't live near her!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic