Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

POSSIBLE CASES ONLY!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POSSIBLE CASES ONLY!!
    Posted: November 01 2014 at 9:44am
Please put your possible cases here then follow up if they are positive with new link. Thank you, Waterboy
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 9:57am
It won't work
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 10:04am
I have a solution to track the suspected and will let you know shortly.
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 10:28am
http://www.reddit.com/r/ebola/comments/2i8m9u/comprehensive_list_of_confirmed_and_reported/
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 10:43am
Atheris - I like the reddit link -  have been following it for awhile now. 

Albert - as you consider a revised approach, a few thoughts - though I like the reddit link shared by Atheris, I very much prefer AFT's discussion/commentary that goes along with each situation.  If if we had tracker at the aggregate level - I hope AFT continues to allow the case discussion at the granular.  There's some great insight and comments that come out through the discussion of eventual negative cases - I'd hate to see that dampened.   

That being said, its a good time to look at it and am glad FluMom mentioned it  -  we're only seeing the beginning of potential cases popping up - it'll get more and more confusing as things pick up in volume.  Thanks for listening to my two cents -  you guys all do such a great job moderating and improving the site - thank you!!!Clap
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 11:17am
Hi Cat, discussion after news is posted is what this place is about and it will never change.

The problem reddit is experiencing is that they have 6 different entries for 6 possible different suspected cases from 10/21 - 10/23, and still no results.   That's almost 10 days ago.   If we made a separate forum for suspected we will have the same problem with a lot of dead threads and clutter. 

My last thought was to start placing them on "sticky" topics in Latest News, but then we would currently have 6 topics at the top of latest news of dead threads of which we may never get the results on, thus cluttering our human news feed for latest breaking news.  If we did sticky's people would soon have to scroll half way down the page for the latest news. 

If we have a separate forum for suspected, it will get confusing having two news forums.  Do we double post news and put the articles in Latest News and in suspected cases in two different places? Suspected cases is breaking news.   Still confusing.  And once a case is neg, then we have to move/delete the thread from suspected cases. 

Remember, in many cases we will never hear the final results as neg results may not be news worthy in all cases. 

A lot of work and reconstructing to make this work smoothly.   Not saying we won't, but it has to be well thought out, and some of it we have tried in the past.  We have a lot of newbies that come around and we have to make the forum easy to navigate and understand, which is different for all of us. 

We'll keep working on it. 

onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 11:32am
I agree. Which is why for the time being I would do nothing on this until or if a good solution is worked out.
"And then there were none."
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 1:30pm
There's probably a way of doing it.  What can I say, as Admin I have to be a little picky for all of us.  We can do a separate forum for suspected off the General Discussion forum to keep it completely separate from latest news.  It's going to be for "follow up" with all the pending cases.  So every couple days you can repost the article from Latest News to the suspected forum if no results, or you can double post in both at once when it comes out.  All suspected cases going in latest news always comes first though. Again you can double post it in the suspected forum room. 

You guys all do a very good job around here.  Good suggestions and by flumom.  Would have posted this on her thread, but she's not having a good day.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 1:41pm
If we keep it the same as it is now, it still won't be a problem as everybody around here is fairly sharp and we can remember them all.  I know I can.  If someone remembers after a few days, feel free to scan latest news for the original thread and bump it.   There are a lot of low risk suspected cases coming in. And there are serious ones.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 2:30pm
I agree, this won't work.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

If we keep it the same as it is now, it still won't be a problem as everybody around here is fairly sharp and we can remember them all.  I know I can.  If someone remembers after a few days, feel free to scan latest news for the original thread and bump it.   There are a lot of low risk suspected cases coming in. And there are serious ones.

This gets my vote.  But I will adapt whatever you decide to do.
Wishbone View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 8:10am
The number of suspected cases could become unwieldy to follow by memory.
My approach would be to make a series of  spreadsheets for Suspected Cases.

Put the states in alphabetical order on a national spreadsheet...and list how many suspected on this spreadsheet per state.

On a state spreadsheet:
Identify each person first by state. Then by number (all states starting with 1).
Then by name.. If unknown then unk,city until the name is known.
If they test negative, remove them from the spreadsheets, and retire their number.
If positive...move to another spreadsheet and record if they survive or pass away.

If AZ1 moves to Georgia ...you could renumber him AZ1GA

List them like so:
AZ1 - JOHN F. MCYAHOO
MI1 -UNK DETROIT
NY23-MARY LLANNO
WA21- UNK SEATTLE

On the spreadsheets maybe list hospital, date of test and retest,  number of contacts, age, quarantine location and dates, or whatever interests you.
Do a link to the spreadsheet.

I can't do spreadsheets because I am not computer savvy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic