Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

kinda scary - AI in Nigeria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kinda scary - AI in Nigeria
    Posted: January 30 2015 at 6:56pm
Maybe it's just me - but Nigeria doesn't seem to be having very good luck lately!

This article says H5N1 is in a total of 11 states in Nigeria now (just added four more)?!?! I never heard about the first 7 I don't think.   

CRS PLEASE tell me there is NO WAY that Ebola and AI can do a co-mingling/mating and produce the 'bug from H'!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2931239/Nigeria-H5N1-bird-flu-spreads-four-states-total-11.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2931239/Nigeria-H5N1-bird-flu-spreads-four-states-total-11.html

Man - I SWEAR this world/glasses thing hates me!

Nigeria H5N1 bird flu spreads to four more states, total 11

By Reuters

Published: 11:32 GMT, 29 January 2015 | Updated: 11:32 GMT, 29 January 2015
ABUJA, Nigeria, Jan 29 (Reuters) - An outbreak of H5N1 bird flu in Nigerian poultry farms has spread to four more states, raising the total of affected areas to 11, the agricultural and rural development minister said on Thursday.

Africa's most populous country and biggest economy was the first country on the continent to detect bird flu, in 2006 when chicken farms were found to have the H5N1 strain. In 2007, Nigeria recorded its first human death from the disease.

"At the time of my briefing the nation on January 21, 2015, seven states had reported cases of the bird flu. As of yesterday, a total of 11 states have reported positive cases," Minister Akinwumi Adesina said at an emergency meeting with state agricultural commissioners in the capital Abuja.

The latest bird flu outbreak was first reported in mid-January in the states of Kano and Lagos. The worst-hit state is Kano in the north where 136,905 birds were exposed with a 13 percent mortality rate.

The other affected states are Ogun, Rivers, Delta, Edo, Plateau, Gombe, Imo, Oyo and Jigawa.

Adesina said the government planned to compensate farmers with 145 million naira ($763,150), or about 1,450 naira ($7.63) per lost bird, within the next three days. (Reporting By Felix Onuah; Writing by Julia Payne; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2931239/Nigeria-H5N1-bird-flu-spreads-four-states-total-11.html#ixzz3QMciiaFP

Cherish each moment
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 1:49am
Different viruses, newbie - but there are a lot of flu strains out there that it could theoretically reassort with.
I wonder what's behind all the geographically distinct outbreaks of H5N1 in poultry and humans we're seeing right now?
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 2:12am
jacksdad,this geographically spread out ,outbreaks is the same reason that when you are a gardener and you are trying to see which seeds do better under different condition,you plant these seeds in different places and different areas to see where it does the best.Johnray1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic