Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Power Grid - Must Read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 3:43am
Though I am unable to vote "over there" and something of a democrat, Regan was always a favourite of mine too.  He struck me a a "Good guy" and brighter than most, despite the plethora of jokes to the contrary.  

AND yes, he is needed now.  There are specific challenges faced today that he had the required qualities for.  -  In addition to being left or right, different times call for different personalities.  You need cast iron b*lls and a good poker face for dealing with Putin.  I really like Obama, he seems a genuinely caring guy, but he is way too genteel for the current job.  The situation at the moment is like pitting a puppy against a rabid wolf.

You all should have picked the lady for his job.  Maybe you will this time.  She does have a much larger pair.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 3:58am
The only way that Putin and his military could stand a chance against the USA, and the rest of NATO, is if he launched a MAD strike.  This is unlikely, because he knows the result is in the title (Mutually Assured Destruction). 

However, Putin is a dan-grade judoka and we all read the works of the Great Master who wrote: "The heart should be  like a mirror, polished a thousand times to a godlike speed and courage."  This tends to become a way of life and invokes the same daring-do as the "Hurrah!" of the US Marines or the various other battle-cries used by warrior clans.

So, he must be handled with firmness and "apparent" respect.  Failing that, Tally-ho! Lets kick his fre*king ass.  

Ok, so I'm no diplomat.
I like Ike
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 9:04am

Letter Re: Regarding Massive Solar Events/Power Generation

http://survivalblog.com/letter-re-regarding-massive-solar-eventspower-generation/

hmmm

a major medical center can go a whole 26 hours before its lights out

I'm impressedLOL

the average person has NO idea of just how VERY fragile our entire system is

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 5:02pm
WillobyBrat,I am not a diplomat either.Johnray1
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 8:41am
WillobyBrat- What we need today is not a diplomat but a Roosevelt (preferably Teddy) or a Churchill or even a JFK! Someone with the backbone to stand up and say "Enough"!

By the way, just FYI, What the US Marines say is URA which is an acronym for understood, recognized, acknowledged. In the US Army it was HUA, Heard Understood, Acknowledged, The inside joke with NCO's replying to officers is it means " Sir, your head is up your a__.
Buy more ammo!
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 2:59pm
...ISIS is conducting reconnaissance of regional universities; the White Sands Missile Range; government facilities in Alamogordo, NM; Ft. Bliss; and the electrical power facilities near Anapra and Chaparral, NM

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/04/isis-camp-a-few-miles-from-texas-mexican-authorities-confirm/
"And then there were none."
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 9:59am

DOE warns ‘modern life’ threatened by terror, climate threats to electric grid

ht tp://www.washingtonexaminer.com/doe-warns-modern-life-threatened-by-terror-climate-threats-to-electric-grid/article/2563360

“In the new report, the Energy Department warns that modern life could be endangered if the grid went down. A congressional report has warned that a solar flare or terrorist attack could darken the grid for a year, during which most of those supplied by the grid would die.”

let me repeat that one part

“a solar flare or terrorist attack could darken the grid for a year”

Bigwayne View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 2:13pm
Nice post
God
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

...ISIS is conducting reconnaissance of regional universities; the White Sands Missile Range; government facilities in Alamogordo, NM; Ft. Bliss; and the electrical power facilities near Anapra and Chaparral, NM

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/04/isis-camp-a-few-miles-from-texas-mexican-authorities-confirm/

I would think that ISIL (that's what the FBI calls 'em) would be a bit busy trying to keep their asses from being kicked.  

Kurds have been handing their asses to them, big time.  

Saddam's boys have been running ISIL on the sly, which is why they ran up so many quick battlefield conquests in the beginning.  I don't think ISIL is going to have staying power. 

This is a great article about Yank and Brit ex-military joining the Kurdish Peshmerga!  

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 2:28pm

NSA veteran chief fears crippling cyber-attack on Western energy infrastructure

ht tp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11563746/NSA-veteran-chief-fears-crippling-cyber-attack-on-Western-energy-infrastructure.html

"China is capable of cyber-attacks that could cause "catastrophic failures" of the water system or the electricity grid"

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 6:08pm

Lights Off: How The World Could Change In 7 Days

http://www.myfamilysurvivalplan.com/lights-off-how-the-world-could-change-in-7-days/

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 6:45pm

The Growing Threat From an EMP Attack

http://www.wsj.com/articles/james-woolsey-and-peter-vincent-pry-the-growing-threat-from-an-emp-attack-1407885281

“What would a successful EMP attack look like? The EMP Commission, in 2008, estimated that within 12 months of a nationwide blackout, up to 90% of the U.S. population could possibly perish from starvation, disease and societal breakdown.”

from 2013

Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoided

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/massive-solar-flare-narrowly-misses-earth-emp-disaster-barely-avoided/article/2533727

""The world escaped an EMP catastrophe," said Henry Cooper, who led strategic arms negotiations with the Soviet Union under President Reagan, and who now heads High Frontier, a group pushing for missile defense."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 7:36pm
Satori, EMP or a flare from the sun...this country is going to have a huge problem. I will get as much water as I can first then pray my son can get home from college and hunker down.

I prep for anything and everything!

It will be really bad for the first 2-3 months then people will start to die. I will try and organize my neighborhood when I can but none of them are prepped but I have a cop, two nurses, a mechanic, on this block and all of us are pretty good friends. We will need each other If TSHTF.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 9:45am
FluMom- There will be people in hospital that will die the first day. For the general population, I'm thinking 1-2 weeks not months! Without power, water will run out in no time, with out water, sanitation will be non-existent and disease will follow! I think things will get very ugly in a very short time!
Buy more ammo!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:32am
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 6:59pm

What would happen after an EMP attack?

h ttp://forums.stardock.com/357651/page/5/#2283044

just a taste

“End of Week 1:

By now, most people in the subs have run out of food they would normally remotely consider eating. Looting at the local Walmart and grocery stores begins as people simply take what they need.

Remember, people aren’t hearing anything from the authorities. There are no working TVs. No working radios. The handful of police are walking in the subs.

If you live in the suburbs, take a close look around. How would the police reasonably patrol your city without cars?

Meanwhile, people in nursing homes have started dying enmasse. Without refrigeration drugs quickly go bad. Anyone requiring help breathing or anything else has already died.

People with type 1 diabetes are starting to see the writing on the wall.

Meanwhile, the first container ships of relief have reached San Francisco, Seattle, LA, San Diego, Houston, Miami, Boston, NY, Washington, Raleigh. Lots of food, medicine, some parts, lots of vehicles.

Unfortunately most of those cities are in utter pandemonium. In the south, tens of thousands have already died from heat. In 2003, when there was a heat wave in France, 14800 people died. They didn’t lose power, they just didn’t have air conditioning. In Florida, the death toll is skyrocketing quickly. Same in most of the other southern states.”

(great info arirish ,thanks)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 8:49pm
From Drudge Report:
Pentagon to spend nearly $1b shielding War Games mountain bunker from nuclear EMP attack but denies it is moving NORAD back in
Pentagon will spend $700million renovating the Cheyenne Mountain Complex, the former headquarters of NORAD
High tech communications being installed that are impervious to electromagnetic pulses
The bunker is build under 2,000 feet of the Rocky Mountains and is able to withstand a hit by a 30 megaton nuclear blast
Decommissioned ten years ago because 'Russians were no longer a threat'

Go to Drudge to read the whole article.

OK so we need to figure that the U.S. Government sees a problem with EMP! Guys we are in trouble if this really happens!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 9:25pm
Satori said "In the south, tens of thousands have already died from heat." Good point! I've only had central air once in my life. When the outside temp got above 90F I never went outside. We currently don't have a/c. When we built our current house we built amongst large oaks and set the house so that by opening windows the prevailing wind blows through. The outside walls are 2 x 6 construction so lots of insulation and the internal temp in the summer is always 10-15 degrees cooler than outside.
This summer turn your a/c's off and see how you do! Most people leave an air conditioned home, get in their air conditioned car and go to an air conditioned job. Most people today can't take 110F in the shade!
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 12:48pm

the "Aurora test"

http://easyrider.easyrider.com/aurora_white_paper.htm

"What is the Aurora vulnerability?: Aurora is a vulnerablity to cyber attacks that could sabotage critical systems that provide electricity including the nationwide power grid."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 6:44pm
Another trick is to spray water on your body and let it evaporate. Just a plain old spray bottle. That will help keep you cool. Don't live in the south or southwest is the best bet.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 8:25pm

Congress has been warned about this for over a decade

and still NOTHING

Congress warned 'catastrophic danger' looming

http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/congress-warned-catastrophic-danger-looming/?cat_orig=us

"A lack of will among politicians in Washington is the reason why there is no plan to secure America’s national grid system from an electromagnetic pulse that would threaten countless lives, according to testimony delivered to Congress Wednesday."

"WND has reported that a 303-page report by the Department of Homeland Security warns a massive EMP event could leave more than 130 million Americans without power for years, cutting off heat, communications, food deliveries and fuel."

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:50pm

until fairly recently

EMP/solar flare blackout of the grid

has been in the confines of the tin foil hat crowd

now

it's all over the MSM

Sounding The Alarm On The Country's Vulnerability To An EMP

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-02/sounding-alarm-countrys-vulnerability-emp

suppose you walked in your front door

flipped the light switch for the living room

and

and

and

NOTHING

what would you do next?

how prepared are you and your family for such an event?

how would your community hold together before anarchy set in?

nine missed meals

just nine !!!

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 6:53am

First known hacker-caused power outage signals troubling escalation

ht tp://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/first-known-hacker-caused-power-outage-signals-troubling-escalation/

""It's a milestone because we've definitely seen targeted destructive events against energy before—oil firms, for instance—but never the event which causes the blackout," John Hultquist, head of iSIGHT's cyber espionage intelligence practice, told Ars. "It's the major scenario we've all been concerned about for so long."

proof that it can be done
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 4:12pm
Do want to support your thread here. I have been working on this for almost 10 years - in real life as well - and I was told 3 years ago we had 2 years until it would collapse just because of the traffic and with no attacks at all. It is a given that everyday people are trying to hack in to some of the stations and there have been some successes.

Fascinating thread and maybe I can include some of this in the book. Be well. Med
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 2:24pm
First known hacker-caused power outage signals troubling escalation
Highly destructive malware creates "destructive events" at 3 Ukrainian substations.

Highly destructive malware that infected at least three regional power authorities in Ukraine led to a power failure that left hundreds of thousands of homes without electricity last week, researchers said.

The outage left about half of the homes in the Ivano-Frankivsk region of Ukraine without electricity, Ukrainian news service TSN reported in an article posted a day after the December 23 failure. The report went on to say that the outage was the result of malware that disconnected electrical substations. On Monday, researchers from security firm iSIGHT Partners said they had obtained samples of the malicious code that infected at least three regional operators. They said the malware led to "destructive events" that in turn caused the blackout. If confirmed it would be the first known instance of someone using malware to generate a power outage.

"It's a milestone because we've definitely seen targeted destructive events against energy before—oil firms, for instance—but never the event which causes the blackout," John Hultquist, head of iSIGHT's cyber espionage intelligence practice, told Ars. "It's the major scenario we've all been concerned about for so long."

Refurbished BlackEnergy does Windows and Linux—even Cisco routers.
Researchers from antivirus provider ESET have confirmed that multiple Ukrainian power authorities were infected by "BlackEnergy," a package discovered in 2007 that was updated two years ago to include a host of new functions, including the ability to render infected computers unbootable. More recently, ESET found, the malware was updated again to add a component dubbed KillDisk, which destroys critical parts of a computer hard drive and also appears to have functions that sabotage industrial control systems. The latest BlackEnergy also includes a backdoored secure shell (SSH) utility that gives attackers permanent access to infected computers.

“Perfectly capable”

Until now, BlackEnergy has mainly been used to conduct espionage on targets in news organizations, power companies, and other industrial groups. While ESET stopped short of saying the BlackEnergy infections hitting the power companies were responsible for last week's outage, the company left little doubt that one or more of the BlackEnergy components had that capability. In a blog post published Monday, ESET researchers wrote:

Our analysis of the destructive KillDisk malware detected in several electricity distribution companies in Ukraine indicates that it is theoretically capable of shutting down critical systems. However, there is also another possible explanation. The BlackEnergy backdoor, as well as a recently discovered SSH backdoor, themselves provide attackers with remote access to infected systems. After having successfully infiltrated a critical system with either of these trojans, an attacker would, again theoretically, be perfectly capable of shutting it down. In such case, the planted KillDisk destructive trojan would act as a means of making recovery more difficult.

Over the past year, the group behind BlackEnergy has slowly ramped up its destructive abilities. Late last year, according to an advisory from Ukraine's Computer Emergency Response Team, the KillDisk module of BlackEnergy infected media organizations in that country and led to the permanent loss of video and other content. The KillDisk that hit the Ukrainian power companies contained similar functions but was programmed to delete a much narrower set of data, ESET reported. KillDisk had also been updated to sabotage two computer processes, including a remote management platform associated with the ELTIMA Serial to Ethernet Connectors used in industrial control systems.

In 2014, the group behind BlackEnergy, which iSIGHT has dubbed the Sandworm gang, targeted the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Ukrainian and Polish government agencies, and a variety of sensitive European industries. iSIGHT researchers say the Sandworm gang has ties to Russia, although readers are cautioned on attributing hacking attacks to specific groups or governments.

According to ESET, the Ukrainian power authorities were infected using booby-trapped macro functions embedded in Microsoft Office documents. If true, it's distressing that industrial control systems used to supply power to millions of people could be infected using such a simple social-engineering ploy. It's also concerning that malware is now being used to create power failures that can have life-and-death consequences for large numbers of people.

Ukrainian authorities are investigating a suspected hacking attack on its power grid, the Reuters news service reported last week. ESET has additional technical details about the latests BlackEnergy package here.

While Saudi Arabia's largest gas producer was also infected by destructive malware in 2012, there's no confirmation it affected production. iSIGHT's report suggests a troubling escalation in malware-controlled conflict that has consequences for industrialized nations everywhere.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/first-known-hacker-caused-power-outage-signals-troubling-escalation/
Buy more ammo!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 9:31pm
It looks to me that we really have to fear the squirrels!!

CRS, DrPH
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 8:43am
Save the world!................................   Arm Hazelpad.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 4:36pm
Grid Attack: How America Could Go Dark

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grid-attack-how-america-could-go-dark/ar-BBuiD8p?li=BBnb7Kz
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2016 at 6:34am
[QUOTE=FluMom]This was on 9 news written by Steve Reilly, USA Today:

Bracing for a big power grid attack: 'One is too many'

About once every four days, part of the nation's power grid — a system whose failure could leave millions in the dark — is struck by a cyber or physical attack, a USA TODAY analysis of federal energy records finds.

Although the repeated security breaches have never resulted in the type of cascading outage that swept across the Northeast in 2003, they have sharpened concerns about vulnerabilities in the electric system. A widespread outage lasting even a few days could disable devices ranging from ATMs to cellphones to traffic lights, and could threaten lives if heating, air conditioning and health care systems exhaust their backup power supplies.

comment: This is not new news. I was told by AEP and the powers that be 6 years ago we only had 2 years until a complete grid failure. A simple EMP burst over a particular spot from a low flying satellite could wipe out most the power ranging into 1/3 of Canada and Mexico.

Daily power stations - especially the computers that run them are attacked thousands of times a day and it is for certain - after an attack nearby me in Californa on the local grid, if they could have done this and we did not have the security in place, it would have happened.

The media and America is being subjected to a climate of pure fear which has been generated since 9/11 and especially bad as we near the elections.  We have a pair of really poor candidates and this provides are very good topic as the conventions draw near.

The terrorist threat is as much from our own covert and controlling groups. If the grid is taken down it very unlikely it will be done with explosives. Extremely good hackers - not bombers would be far more effective putting a worm or virus into the systems running grid.

If you will read my lights out chapter which I wrote 6 years ago and has been ignored it is true we do not have the infrastructure or police force to deal with a power outage in any major city for more than 48 hours.

These attacks on the grid happen daily at most major power stations in the U.S.

Medclinician

I personally met with the VP of the United States biggest power company AEP in Columbus, Ohio. We talked about this and how to prevent it. We still can if the U.S. will fund the synchro phaser power intiative and let us try. It is not a priority with the powers that be - and it is more likely to happen by the sheer volume of data going out than by any terrorist.

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic