Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

September prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: September prepping
    Posted: September 01 2015 at 8:18am
I cannot believe that it is already September! Our weather is still in the mid 90's so it has cooled off a bit, I hope it stays this way for a little longer, as I hate the cold weather. This month I really feel the need to go through my canned and dry goods and kind of take inventory and see what I have and what I need. I know I am running low on boxed/canned/powdered milk. I really need to know what I need. What is everyone else working on?
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 1:05pm
We're going to build a hoop green house for winter vegies! I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do but any suggestions would be welcome!
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 2:14pm

stock market down 469 points today !!!

prepping in high gear

picked up another 2 months supply of toilet paper today

have already stocked up on tooth paste,shampoo,over the counter meds,personal care items etc

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 6:58am

28 Benefits to Prepping Even if TEOTWAWKI Doesn’t Come

http://morethanjustsurviving.com/prepper-benefits/

"While most preppers do take the threat of a financial crisis, a solar flare, or even a zombie apocalypse very seriously, there are many benefits to prepping even if these TEOTWAWKI situations never come about in our lifetimes.

Many of the criticisms non-preppers make of preppers have to do with the fact that preppers seem “paranoid” about the future and apocalyptic, end of the world situations that probably won’t even come about in their lifetimes. What these people fail to see is that prepping has a phenomenal number of benefits for preppers even if these apocalyptic situations don’t end up taking place. The vast majority of preps will help in difficult situations that commonly arise in life."

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

We're going to build a hoop green house for winter vegies! I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do but any suggestions would be welcome!

I think you mean what we on this side of the pond call a polytunnel (metal hoops covered with polythene).   If so:

1, Concrete the poles in with the frame compacted as much as possible, then once the polythene edges are buried, jack the frame up to stretch the polythene as tight as you can - Flapping, not pressure, is what wears the polythene out.

2, Make sure you get polythene much bigger than the area covered - bury the edges deep and do not get any grass between the polythene + the soil or it may make the polythene slip.

3, Keep the doors shut in high winds! - Open doors destroy the otherwise indestructable!

Put up well they will last 20+ years.  Put up wrong they will not last 3!  Leave the doors open and 3 days is too much to hope for.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 11:57am
I'm gonna be starting a second row on my balcony garden for veggies. Adding another herb on the top row. Buying at least one dwarf tree.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 11:59am
I would love to have a green house someday! I do want to get some of the dwarf trees and start indoors this winter, some citrus.
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 4:26pm
Well I stuffed a pronghorn in the freezer, now I am working on stuffing a deer and an elk in with it. Venison it's what's for dinner. Hunt on.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 6:42am
Technophobe - Thanks, Every bit of info helps!

Lopper- I had pronghorn once. A little too stringy like goat for my taste, of course it may not have been prepared or cooked properly! I'll stick to venison and wild turkey!
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 7:03pm

Prepper Tip

How Much Coleman Fuel Do I Need?

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/alternative-energy/how-much-coleman-fuel-do-i-need/

Coleman fuel,in an unopened can is said to last as long as 15 years

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 7:13pm
Arirish, I made my own greenhouse. In fact I've made two. The biggest one is 22 metres long (72ft) and the smaller one is my seed raising house and measures 2.4m x 1.4m. 

I put in two rows of tall fence posts, about 7ft tall, running east to west, about 3m (10ft) apart. Then I bought loads of old wooden windows online, for about $2 each, and lined these up to make a wall on the sunny side (North here in the S. hemisphere but South for you), I used corrugated iron from the local dump at $1 a sheet to make the back wall. At the west end I've used corrugated iron, and at the east end I've built a small shed. 

The roof is made from part of a huge polytunnel skin that was being thrown out. All the windows open so it has great ventilation. The only real cost was the posts and paying someone to drive them in, and the timber for the roof trusses. 

Inside I have a central path and a large bed on each side running the length of the green house. I have an irrigation system and it all works really well. And it was cheap. Very cheap.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2015 at 7:18pm
The smaller house was much easier to make. We made it in one day excluding the concrete floor. It's simply made of two large windows that make the sides, and a smaller one that makes the end. The other end is just covered with clear plastic and we make a small door. 

The roof is made using alkathene water pipe (that was left over from something else we were doing) cut into lengths and arched from one side to the other with a piece of wood screwed down the middle. Then the roof was covered with agthane (a horticultural grade clear plastic).

Both have been standing for 6 years now. The big one needs a new plastic roof - but it was second hand to start with. The small one is in perfect condition. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2015 at 11:17am

very informative article on medical prepping

Medical Bartering, by Cynthia J. Koelker, MD

http://survivalblog.com/medical-bartering-by-cynthia-j-koelker-md/

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 11:01am
KiwiMum- Thanks for the ideas! Your setup sounds great! We're starting with a simple hoop house but I'll keep my eyes open for used windows. I'm in the process of tearing down an old house but there aren't enough usable windows for a large house. Maybe enough for a small seed raising house.
Buy more ammo!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 7:02am
Here's a pretty good site for emergency kits.  I personally have a 25 lb box of meat with an "indefinite" shelf life that will last forever.  All I need with that is a 100lb bag of rice and beans.  In fact, I might get those things today.  Haven't bought extra's in years like that for an emergency, but quite honestly, it's actually a little fun.  Stock up by bulk - for a cheap as possible.   I'm getting back into long term prepping for the hell of it. 

Here's a good site I came across for misc things. 
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/emergency-preparedness-c=44

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 10:55am
Well I stuffed a elk in the freezer in addition to a pronghorn so the meat part of the equation is done for the year.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 5:42pm
I ended up stocking up on baking supplies this month: flour, sugar, chocolate chips, vanilla, oatmeal, peanut butter. Then someone gave me 6 packages of powdered eggs I was happy about that! Then I stocked up in hamburger, which was not in the plan, but I was in the grocery store and found a bunch marked down to $2.19 a pound, so I bought a bunch.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 9:46am
I'm happy to say that my persistence has paid off and I got four of my friends into prepping :)  Side note: I really need to stock up on baking supplies. I was getting bartering goods such as caffeinated instant coffee (105 servings)/powdered non dairy creamer, Hot chocolate mixture (53 servings), various teas (that I could also drink for myself, very easy to replenish) , etc. Also working on OTC stuff since I've been pretty sick as of late.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 7:41pm
I also need to add some OTC meds to my stash. I have had a sinus infection and upper respiratory thing going on and have used a lot of Benadryl, nasal spray and generic mucinex as well as juices, so I need to replace those.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 9:58am
I've decided to put together a couple of BOBs for one of my son's and his family who live in an earth quake zone. I'm sure he'll roll his eyes when he gets it but it will be worth a little derision to know they have at least the basics on hand. It's amazing how much money you can wrap up in one, even if you don't buy a top of the line back pack!
Buy more ammo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic