Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Just Got Out Of Hospital

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Got Out Of Hospital
    Posted: September 28 2015 at 4:21pm
Well, my flu went into bronchitis last Sunday called my Doc on Wed got Amomx Clav. I got so sick by Friday I thought I better go into the ER and get a neb treatment and some prednisone. Well I got an xray and had pneumonia in my lower left lung had to stay at the hospital over the week end. They gave me IV Zosyn every 6 hours for 2.5 days.

I am home back on the Amomx Clav for the rest I have left. I am tired have been using my spirometer and coughing but that is better.

Any advice on getting over this I am really Down! I never get down but this has really knocked me.    
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 12:15am
Lots of vitamin C and garlic. Vit C is vital for recovering from any illness and garlic is great for any chesty / flu / cold things. Wrap up warm, put your feet up and really REALLY take it easy. You need time and rest and to be gentle with yourself. I hope you get better soon. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 2:34am
Spot on KiwiMum, I would add even more garlic, some yoghurt, and boost my vitamin C with some zinc.

The following all boost the immune system as well:

onions
turmeric
rose-hip
eccinacea - for no more than 3 months at a time
propolis - expensive
mushrooms - especially shiatake
vitamin D - and all the rest as well  (easy on the vitamin A unless you have Innuit blood)
                                                        (if you have African blood - you need LOTS of E too)
Stress makes things worse, both psychologically and physically (surgery) so both rest AND fun!  Do something you enjoy.
Eat some oily fish too if you can.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 6:24am
I agree, rest rest rest & then rest some more. Pneumonia is a butt kicker & if you get up & start trying to vacuum or clean out the fridge you'll weaken your body & make it harder & longer for it to fight off the illness. Not saying don't be mobile but slow & gentle.

Drink twice the amount of water you would normally drink, tons of fluids, sip broth, and warm tea. Also try a spoonful of honey.

Don't skip any meds even if you feel like you don't need it. If you have inhalers, do not skip them or stop them prematurely. Keeping those airways open is vital. You probably already know this, but always finish antibiotics as prescribed or you can set up drug resistant bacteria.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 9:57am
I have heard about garlic I will have to get some. Will take all advice. Thanks guys!

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 10:22am
I'll second what Jen said - if anything, overhydrate yourself. Ditto with the inhalers - they always help me when I'm congested. Hope you feel better soon.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 10:24am
As a child, I had to drink honey, lemon, and garlic tea when I was sick. Helped a lot, back then.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 1:14pm
I take turmeric every day. It's really expensive to buy the capsules ($60 for 90 of them here in NZ) so I bought one of those little capsule filling devices, a bag of capsules and some organic turmeric ($2.60 !!!!!) and make my own. 

Get better soon. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2015 at 3:31pm
Me too KiwiMum.  Home made capsules are the in thing for turmeric - even though curry is my favourite food.

Indian spice shops sell turmeric for pennies here too.  Garlic as well, but I like that!
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 5:13pm
Got my flu shot today.

How are you feeling FluMom?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 8:03pm
I got mine last Thursday
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 9:16pm
Get well soon, FluMom! Thumbs Up
CRS, DrPH
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 9:33pm
Got my flu shot, last monday.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 5:20pm
I hope you are feeling better Flumom!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 8:12pm
It seems strep throat is going around in my hometown in the Northern Central Valley of California. A few of my friends have gotten very ill from it. I hope that it doesn't head your guys' ways.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 8:22pm
Going on Levaquin tomorrow. Anyone taken this antibiotic it has so many warnings!!

I am tired and am resting, coughing up lots of gunk, but it all makes me tired. Just needs time.
Diligent View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diligent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 12:15pm
Hi FluMom,

I believe your physician has made a good choice for you by prescribing Levaquin.

Levaquin is a very good and strong antibiotic, and one that is designed to clear deep lung infections.

If you are running a fever, you may still have an active infection going on.

I expect you will start feeling better in a couple of days.

Get well now.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 3:13pm
Hi Diligent, took the Levaquin this morning at 8am and started really getting junk out of my lungs by noon. My concern with Levaquin is the tendon problem it could cause in people over 60 I am 65.

Does anyone here know of the tendon problem with Levaquin. I got a big sheet of warning when I got the med, scared me.

By the way I am a strange person I NEVER run a fever when I have had pneumonia. In fact my temp runs 97.4 this was true when I was 39 and had double pneumonia and they had to take fluid off my lungs and I was in hospital for 10 days on an IV antibiotic. I do sweat but NO fever!

I hope Levaquin works and does not cause me a tendon problem.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 6:32pm
I take Levaquin, in fact I'm on it now for a UTI, it is one of the few antibiotics I am not allergic to. I have never had a problem when taking it, I am not over 60 though either.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 12:50am
Pelham thanks for the feed back I am scared because I have been sick for 3 weeks and I am tired of being sick! Levaquin has a bad rep because of the tendon problem. I just want to get well and go back to work.   Thanks for the info.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 1:53am
I did a bit of research, FluMom.  Levaquin can cause tendinitis, but that seems to be a rather rare reaction.  Gastrointestinal problems are much more common.  When drug companies publish lists of possible reactions they face a bit of a dilemma.  They have to give warnings, so people can watch for the right things and stop quickly if something is triggered.  Unfortunately, this can produce an anti-placebo effect in some suggestable people, who then flood the net with gruesome warnings out of all proportion to the risks.  That is further compounded by one of the other potential effects - mental disturbance.

Once again, my crystal ball just foggs-up, but as you are enervated already I would assume the risks to be even further reduced (marathon running or track and field events being out of the question at present).  If, however, collitis raises its hideous head, garlic and yoghurt usually puts that right again.

'Hope this helps.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 2:25am
Ps. I have some famailiarity with the animal use of several relatives of levaquin (ciprofloxacin for one cat and enrofloxacin for about a dozen cats and one dog).  I have never seen any nasty side-effects.  In fact I have never seen any side effects at all!  So be watchful, but don't worry!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 3:36pm
Flumom, if you are taking antibiotics then take a good quality probiotic (the type that has to live in the fridge). As Techno says, eat lots of garlic and yoghurt, but also try to avoid sugary things - eat more of that lettuce you love!

I just bumped into a friend this morning in town who is recovering badly from surgery and the problem is she's not taking it easy enough. She is also on antibiotics and is having tummy trouble so was going to pick up some probiotics, but the biggest factor is she's not allowing her body enough time and rest to recover properly. 

I agree with Techno that you must try to relax and not worry. Don't consult Dr Google because the ultimate result is always the same - something nasty and fatal! I stubbed my toe - oh no I have a brain tumour!!!!!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 7:06pm
Love all of you guys! I take probiotics 2 times a day. I had cdiff after my tooth being pulled and then my double mastectomy double dose of antibiotics from those two gave me cdiff 3 weeks later. Got flagyl and got better. So I am making sure if I can that it does not come back.

Techno thanks for the research I could not find out how rare the tendon problem was or was not.

I am slowly getting better but dang I am really tired of feeling sick and tired. I did put my outdoor pillows in bags today a little work. My loving son will be home this weekend so that will make me feel better.

All of you are so great to have all of your care and encouragement I am lucky to have all of you as friends. God Bless You All!
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 2:02am
    Glad you are getting better and send you my best hopes for a full recovery..  If I may ask, where do you live?  I am tracking flu in the USA and hope such severe cases and resulting pnuemonias are not already here!  Or are you from "down under?"  Best, John.
John L
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 10:07pm
Denver, Colorado
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 3:39am
    Cases now also reported in Arizona, Florida (an entire professional sports team) Virginia and Connecticut.  I usually refuse the flu shot until Halloween time, but got mine already this year.  It is not great, but is much better than nothing.  Get well.  John.
John L
ozarkcountryboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozarkcountryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 6:38am
The only thing that stopped cdiff at my house was activated charcoal
and garlic. You have to space them apart so the charcoal doesn't suck
up the garlic.
My wife fought cdiff for 3 months with antibiotics, but it would keep
coming back. It was horrible. After 1 day of treating it with charcoal
it STOPPED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic