Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

October prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October prepping
    Posted: October 01 2015 at 8:22pm
It's the beginning of Fall. What is everyone going to work on this month? I haven't even decided what to work on yet.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 9:22pm
Waiting for my check to get my dwarf tree and add a second row to my balcony garden. Otherwise, just pantry stocking. Waiting for a soup and canned food sale too now that I found my can opener (still not fully unpacked, I blame grad school lol)
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 1:28pm
Prepper Tip

a 5 gallon pail of wheat will yield about 25 loaves of bread

The US National Grain Reserves Are Apparently Gone

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/the-us-national-grain-reserves-are-apparently-gone/#respond

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 11:17am

Here's an article on wheat storage:

What’s the Shelf-Life of Wheat?

https://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/whats-the-shelf-life-of-wheat/

The price of chicken feed got so high last spring we planted a few rows of field corn! It worked out so well that now I'm looking for some way to easily remove the cornels from the cobs. Any suggestions?
Buy more ammo!
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:47pm
Well it seems El Nino will be on the way soon, per the news so I think it's a good time to restock up on water and batteries. In 1997, my hometown area had a major flood and that was during a weak LA Nina, so it makes me want to prepare even more.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 2:43pm
If you purchase the whole wheat berry in a sealed can or tub with oxygen absorbers it will last 25 years or more. I have a few cans that will make 200 loaves but as soon as I have some more room in my basement I am going to purchase more cases of cans. I like the cans because mice can't get in and it is easier for me to handle.

I am going to get more eggs also in freeze dry my eggs are now 7 years and are just dehydrated. I know they lose something after 7 years but I still keep them until I can replace.

Hachi, if you have a wheat grinder then get the wheat berries if not I am not sure what you do because ground wheat will attract bugs and mice and not sure how long it will be "good".   Anyone out there know how long ground wheat is good for?
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 3:25pm
Airish, I knew I had seen a fantastic way to shuck corn somewhere so I've tracked it down. Have a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daT3YR40OGY

Flumom, whole flour (as in wholemeal) goes rancid in a little as 3 months in the summer and about 5 in the winter. You can keep it in the freezer though and that helps. A small hand cranked flour mill isn't very expensive and is an excellent investment. Failing that, then just soak the wheatberries and cook them up like a pudding. I've also sprouted wheat until it just swells and splits, and then I've pounded it in a pestle and mortar and shaped into flatbreads and baked on a very low heat and it was delicious - and incredible nutritious.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 3:29pm
So I've just looked on ebay and those corn shuckers are so cheap. You guys are so lucky in America, everything is so incredibly cheap. I'd love one of those things.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 7:11pm
I did buy 3 cases of water this month. Getting ready for winter.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 8:15pm
just in case anyone didn't already know this

but Walmart.com sells Augason Farms long term storage food at very good prices
shipping is free for $50 and above

I place an order virtually every month
usually $50-$100
its a very easy way to build up a good supply of long storage life foods without busting your budget
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 8:09am
KiwiMum- Thanks! When I was a kid my granddad had one of those in the barn that I would turn the crank on while he was milking. I never knew what it was. Guess he was already using bagged feed by then.

Satori- When I was in college I did a lot of back packing and they were just coming out with dehydrated meals. Most of them weren't very good! Have you tried these? Have they improved over the years? I've always been afraid that when TSHTF I'd open them up and have a 5 year supply that tastes like S!
Buy more ammo!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 5:06am
I do some backpacking myself and I take along a variety of freeze dried foods
some brands are definitely better than others
I prefer MountainHouse

and MH is good for 25 years or more if stored properly (cans,not the packets)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic