Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

November prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November prepping
    Posted: November 02 2015 at 2:12pm
Sorry for the day's delay in posting the November prepping thread, but we had a town wide internet outage yesterday and I hate trying to post from my phone because it's slow. Anyway, what is everyone going to work on this month? I have been cleaning out closets/cupboards and reorganizing and trying to restock on things that I have gotten low on. Have been restocking canned goods, my freezer is full. I still need to replenish my OTC meds.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 2:26pm
Dang Penham great minds think a like! I started cleaning out my garage still a work in progress. I have had remodeling going on so I had a ton of junk to get rid of.

Putting all the moved stuff back to where it belongs and as I do this I am dumping old Jello and can goods. I just do a little every day it will get done in a couple of weeks.

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 7:50pm
So far, stocking up on TP and other paper products, donating canned goods that are closeish to expiration (like a month away) to charity, and buying new ones. That's how I rotate if I am not in the mood to eat them at that moment. Also need more OTC meds.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 11:16am
I am also having remodeling done, having my main bathroom totally gutted/redone. My son in law does that for a living and he is doing it for free, in his "spare time" so it's slow going. Which is fine, cause it's free, I just have to pay for the materials. Tiling is his specialty so I glad it's getting done. My house was built in 1930 and the only thing in that bathroom that has been replaced was about 3 years ago I had all the plumbing redone, actually throughout the house. And I guess before I moved in a few times people have layered the floor with linoleums, vinyl tile, on top of wood flooring, etc. He is tearing out the whole floor and replacing all the wood everything, I can see ground, eeeek.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 2:15pm
We're increasing our water storage capacity so we can irrigate some paddocks this summer.

I'm also getting way ahead of myself on Christmas preparations. I've just finished all my Christmas present shopping. I've done it mainly online this year so I'm waiting for things to arrive. I've started a little notebook logging everything order I place and then I tick them off when they arrive. I was starting to forget what I'd ordered so this keeps me on track. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 7:50pm
Penham I feel your pain of slow going. My mastectomy stopped my power room/laundry room project got back and now it is slow going again with my Pneumonia. Now I am waiting on getting a special paint job done in the powder room.

Dang I hate remodeling but in older homes it must be done if you can afford it and put up with it!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 7:53pm
KiwiMum, congrats on the Christmas shopping. Enjoy it as long as you can because now my son is too old for me to buy for...he never wants anything, my 93 yr old mom just wants grocery store gift cards and my sister and I decided not to exchange gifts because we have what we want.

Kind of takes a little out of Christmas. I still try and get items especially survival items for my son even though he does not "want" stuff.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 3:50pm
Flumom, I dread the day that my boys are too old for Christmas. They are 9 and 11 now so love it. I'm in full Christmas mode, making crackers and cakes and all sorts of goodies. We celebrate for the whole month of Dec and our tree goes up on the first of the month. I love it. 

My sister and I are exchanging books but won't until Christmas to read them. My one to her will arrive sometime next week in her letterbox and I know she'll read it straight away.

I've been following a stretching regime by an American writer called Miranda Esmonde White. In the introduction to her book "ageing backwards" she talks about her own surgery from breast cancer and she said that she had sharp pain every time she lifted her arm above her head and had to stretch the area for 9 years before it stopped but that it was very important to do so. Perhaps your local public library (do you have libraries in the USA?) has a copy that you could borrow. I used the book after my recent leg surgery and now, 3 months later, not even a twinge or any trace of a limp. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 8:42pm
KiwiMum, really enjoy your boys now they grow up too fast.

I have been able to lift my arms straight over my head 2 weeks after my operation with no pain. LOL, my doc said well you don't need any Therapy when he saw what I could do. My chest feels a little tight like I have a bra on that is a little tight. When I think about it I stretch my arms back but it seems to be loosening on it's own. I have not had pain.

Everyone has a different outcome with breast surgery since the cancer is in different areas.   

Ok men, you can stop reading now...KiwiMum I have decided not to wear prosthetics breasts. I am chubby and what I have left is bigger than some women I know. So it is very nice not to have to wear a bra. I never considered being "rebuilt" because I am 65 and never going to date or marry. So I am fine with what I look like. I can see however, where younger women would be "rebuilt".

Thank you for your support I will check out this book to see what it has to say. I always like to learn!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 10:13pm
Flumom, if you do decide to wear a bra again, have a look at this website.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/lingerie/bras/post-surgery-bras-n-c04d1

Marks and Spencers is Britain's most popular underwear supplier and they do a range of post surgery bras that are very reasonably priced. I know this because I listen to BBC radio a lot. Anyway, they deliver free to New Zealand if you spend over 30 pounds, so I'm sure they deliver free to the States as well.  

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 10:04am
Not exactly prepping, but I signed up for a standard first aid class at school.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 10:23am
Sounds like good preps to me!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 10:38pm
First aid counts as prepping! What if you don't have access doctors or nurses in an emergency? Last year my job offered First Aid and CPR to all employees that wanted to take it for free (during work hours), so I took it. It had been years since I had been certified.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 4:58am
Prepper Tip

this article is WELL WORTH a few minutes of your time if you use Coleman stoves

Why we Cook on Gasoline – the Coleman Stove

http://www.landcruisingadventure.com/the-gasoline-coleman-stove/
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 8:34am
That's true, Penham :) I wish I could have got into the Adult, Child, Infant CPR/AED class, but it sold out :/ My school has every class at a very discounted price for students. I'll have to wait till next semester I think to take it. I haven't been CPR certified in about 5 or 6 years :(
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 6:25pm
hachiban08, CPR has changed a lot in the last few years. It is much simpler. ACLS is also. They have finally admitted that in 94% of all cases that need CPR or ACLS and the patient is not already in the hospital. 94% of the time it does not work. I does not bring many people back who go down on the street.Johnray1
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 9:06am
Hi Johnray, is there a reason as to why it's less successful outside of the hospital setting?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 8:12pm
Last week I replenished some of my OTC meds, bought 7 bottles of the guaifenesin cough syrup, anti-diarrhea meds and some cold tablets. This week I got all my asthma meds refilled, which I really did not need, cause I have tons, but I got them anyway.

Today I am home sick with an upper respiratory infection/sinus infection. Dr. gave me a Z-pack and prednisone and told me to take the guaifenesen 4 times a day. So good thing I got it last week.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

hachiban08, CPR has changed a lot in the last few years. It is much simpler. ACLS is also. They have finally admitted that in 94% of all cases that need CPR or ACLS and the patient is not already in the hospital. 94% of the time it does not work. I does not bring many people back who go down on the street.Johnray1

Very true - all it does is keep the brain and organs oxygenated until a higher level of care becomes available, usually paramedics with meds and a defibrillator. It used to be so complicated that many people didn't even attempt it in case they did it wrong (ironic when not doing it is the worst CPR...). The new guidelines for chest compressions without rescue breaths simplify things greatly and actually work better, but unfortunately it still rarely brings people back on it's own. I've done it many times with only limited success, even though I once had paramedics tell me I was doing the best CPR they'd ever seen in the field. I was trained at an ER by the code team on an actual patient, and I'm very aggressive and always break ribs (no movie CPR with bent arms...), but it's still true that it's of little use on it's own.
I recently found a young man on the freeway early in the morning on my way to work and did CPR until PD and medics arrived. He'd jumped from a bridge and I pretty much knew I couldn't save him because of his injuries, but you still do it regardless. Definitely get certified again if you can - it's so important that there are people out there willing to step up with the necessary skills when the need arises. The young man I found had clearly be down for a while at a time when dozens of motorists must have seen him, yet nobody else stopped.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 10:00pm
That is so sad that no one is will to get involved sometimes.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 11:07pm
It is sad, Penham. Is being on time for work really more important than the life of another human being?

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 10:49am
I'd always have a go. I've been itching to try out a tracheotomy for years! We live in a very isolated place and I joked with my husband that we should buy a full set of meat saws so that if I did have to amputate his leg, at least I'd have the proper equipment to do it with!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 11:58am
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 7:25pm
What's really funny is that he thinks I'm joking!
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 8:18pm
hachiban08,if you want to learn first aid that is useful,learn to STOP bleeding with your hands, learn to stabilize fractures with what you have at hand,learn to remove people from being more badly injured, learn to stabilize the neck and spine.

Also learn the Mass Casualty rules that the military and all trauma hospitals and all paramedics  learn and that is if you are in a mass casualty situation,save the ones who can be saved. The near dead and the dead are the same thing,do not waste you time with them when you could possibly actually save someone's life by just putting pressure on a cut artery. People who have no heart beat are ALREADY dead,save the ones who can be saved.Johnray1
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 11:47pm
KiwiMum, you gotta do what you gotta do, lol.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 8:15am
If anyone on the site could do it, my money would be on KiwiMum Thumbs Up
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 6:37pm
I picked up a few more canned goods today when I was out doing some Christmas shopping.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 9:17pm
well I bit the bullet and bought a generator
after reading Koppels's LIGHTS OUT I figured it would be  a wise purchase
not to mention I live in a hurricane zone

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 8:29pm
I really would like to get a generator some day also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic