Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Off Topic Discussion > Talk about anything
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

War in Turkey versus Russia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War in Turkey versus Russia
    Posted: November 28 2015 at 9:46am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_involvement_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Turkey maintains a small enclave within Syria itself, the Tomb of Suleyman Shah on the right bank of the Euphrates in Aleppo Province, near the village of Qarah Qawzak (Karakozak). The Tomb is guarded by a small permanent garrison of Turkish soldiers, who continue to rotate in from a battalion based at the Turkish border some 25 kilometres (16 mi) away, even as the civil war unfolded around them.[7] Up until Syrian forces shot down a Turkish warplane in June 2012, the garrison numbered 15 men in total. Following the incident, the Turkish government doubled the number of soldiers stationed at the tomb to 30, while then-Prime Minister Erdoğan warned that "the tomb of Suleyman Shah and the land that surrounds it are Turkish territory. Any act of aggression against it would be an attack on our territory and NATO territory." Analysts have cited the tomb as a potential future flashpoint in Turkish-Syrian relations.[8]

comment: The tensions at the border are escalating.
13 minute news briefing as more details of the downing of a Russian jet (also possibility of a 2nd jet which escaped after the warning) emerges

Medclinician
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 9:47am
Is this video authentic? Was the Russian fighter warned before it was shot down?

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 9:56am
The captain on an independent video said there was no warning. "If they had wanted to warn us they could have come out and by flying out in parallel courses... We didn't even see it to have time for missile evasive maneuver" 

comment: Two stories - one thing is for certain - there is a potential for war.

Medclinician

Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 11:44pm
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 7:10am
Is Turkey at war with Russia?  The suppression of news in the mainstream media as the story of the attack of "terrorists in California" has blanketed and flooded the news.

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 7:12am
Medclinician - not if but when - original
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 8:31am
https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/615

The ongoing tension between Turkey and Russia which began after the shooting down of a Russian bomber by Turkish military planes near the Syrian border has spread from air to sea. 

Four Russian-flagged cargo ships were detained by Turkish authorities in response to Russia's holding five Turkish cargo ships in Novorossiysk port. 

The Turkish naval authority detained four Russia-owned cargo ships in a Black Sea port of Samsun city as a retaliation for the detention of five Turkish ships in Russian waters. 
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 8:33am
http://southfront.org/russian-spetsnaz-on-the-way-to-shairat/

Russia is preparing to establish a second airbase in Syria, after Hmeimim. According to The Times and Al-Rai (Kuwait), the new airbase will be the Shairat, 35km southeast of Homs in central Syria.

An additional 50 aircraft are to be deployed there, plus a spetsnaz brigade and support personel. There already are Russian military personnel at Shairat, as well as helicopters and base preparation troops. At the moment the base is being used by Syrian Air Force which bases MiG-23, -25, and Su-22 aircraft there. Moreover, Moscow is about to send a large number of TOS-1 rocket self-propelled armored flamethrowers to Syria.

A Russian defense source told lenta.ru that Shairat is necessary in order to prosecute operations in southern and eastern Syria.

~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 8:44am
Russia wants to have a second main airbase in central Syria to block NATO forces (Turkey, US already active with groundtroops in Syria without Assad's permission) and aircraft in northern and central Syria. I do not doubt that S400 missiles are on their way. 

Turkish troops also invadedIraq, north-east of Mosul. Iraq wants Turkey (but also US) forces to leave Iraq. Shiïte militia already making threats to attack NATO troops. 

NATO wants to establish a Sunni eastern Syria (with IS control, basicly) to keep e wedge between Iran and Lebanon. Iran is in a hurry to move west in Iraq (and proberbly further into Syria). Also Russia will increase activity close to the Turkish-Syrian border. For the moment the Turkish-Russian conflict is not yet open and mostly in Syria. 

Blocking the entry to the Black Sea by Turkey is not acceptable for Russia. Putin will try to solve that "problem" via the UN. (It is against international law). China will back Russia and Iran. 

The Paris-climate conference is mostly about Syria. Negotiations there will make a difference in this conflict. Both France and the US seem to accept that fighting IS should have priority above fighting Assad-now they need to act accordingly !
~Albert Einstein
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:03am
http://www.globalresearch.ca/europe-s-five-undeclared-nuclear-weapons-states/17550

According to a recent report, former NATO Secretary-General George Robertson confirmed that Turkey possesses 40-90 “Made in America” nuclear weapons at the Incirlik military base.(en.trend.az/)

Does this mean that Turkey is a nuclear power?

“Far from making Europe safer, and far from producing a less nuclear dependent Europe, [the policy] may well end up bringing more nuclear weapons into the European continent, and frustrating some of the attempts that are being made to get multilateral nuclear disarmament,”
(Former NATO Secretary-General George Robertson quoted in Global Security, February 10, 2010)

This is not new news. It is unknown at present what the capacity Turkey has to launch a nuclear weapon.  It is fairly certain they could launch or deliver some sort of response if they were attacked and then assert Article 5 requesting NATO to come to their aid. What is current is that the battle is now also in the sea - the Black Sea  - this is not a situation that can continue without some kind of incident.

It is simply not safe to have these conflicts in areas with nuclear capability.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 10:19am
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 7:54am
What is the real news?   There are current attacks of Turkish positions in Syria.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Dutch Josh Dutch Josh wrote:

http://southfront.org/russian-spetsnaz-on-the-way-to-shairat/

Russia is preparing to establish a second airbase in Syria, after Hmeimim. According to The Times and Al-Rai (Kuwait), the new airbase will be the Shairat, 35km southeast of Homs in central Syria.

An additional 50 aircraft are to be deployed there, plus a spetsnaz brigade and support personel. There already are Russian military personnel at Shairat, as well as helicopters and base preparation troops. At the moment the base is being used by Syrian Air Force which bases MiG-23, -25, and Su-22 aircraft there. Moreover, Moscow is about to send a large number of TOS-1 rocket self-propelled armored flamethrowers to Syria.

comment: Is Turkey supporting Isis? Since the attack on the bread factory which could have been an Isis weapons storage location, how far will this escalate? There are independent maps of ship movement through the straights controlled by Turkey and in one report there was no movement of Russian ships through this area. Can this continue before some type of conflict starts up in this area and will the U.S. and NATO be drawn in by Article 5 of the agreement.

There is a growing "get tough" mind set by the U.S. military versus wanting to be drawn into a Vietnam or Afghanistan type ground war - that would be a disaster.

Medclinician

A Russian defense source told lenta.ru that Shairat is necessary in order to prosecute operations in southern and eastern Syria.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 6:53am

Not hearing the threat of a nuke in here - but they are on the verge of a war in Turkey.  I will continue to track this as I have been doing as long as I can.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 8:23am
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 2:23pm

Russian warship fires warning shots at Turkish fishing boat  

Russia says one of its warships fired warning shots at a Turkish fishing boat in the Aegean Sea to avoid a collision.

A Russian defence ministry statement said the Turkish vessel approached to 600m (1,800ft) before turning away in response to Russian small arms fire.

The captain of the Turkish boat said he was unaware that his vessel had been shot at.

The Turkish military attache in Moscow has been summoned to the foreign ministry over the incident.

Relations remain tense between the two countries since Turkey's shooting down of a Russian warplane.

Impact on Russian-Turkish relations

Presidential war of words

Turkey downs Russian fighter jet - what we know

"We are not in favour of tension," Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu was quoted as saying after the incident.

"We have always been in favour of overcoming tensions through dialogue rather than conflict."

The captain of the Turkish vessel told Dogan news agency he did not realise his boat had been shot at.

"We were not aware that they had fired shots at us," Muzaffer Gecici said. "We have video footage and we have handed this to the coastguard. We didn't even know it was a Russian ship."

In November, a Russian Su-24 aircraft was shot down by two Turkish F-16s in the Turkish border-Syria area. Turkey maintained the plane had crossed into its airspace, although Russia disputed this.

And last week, Turkey complained over what it said was a sailor on a Russian naval ship brandishing a missile launcher as the vessel passed through Istanbul. Russia rejected the criticism, saying the crew had a "legal right" to protect the ship.

Timeline: Russia-Turkey tensions

24 November - A Turkish F-16 fighter jet shoots down a Russian Su-24 attack aircraft, allegedly because it violated Turkish airspace. Russia denies the claim and insists the aircraft was in Syrian airspace. A Russian pilot is killed parachuting from the jet, and a Russian marine is killed in a subsequent mission that rescues the other pilot.

28 November - With Turkey refusing to apologise over the incident, Russia announces a package of economic sanctions against Turkey, including restrictions on imports and travel.

6 December - Turkey condemns Russian "provocation" after Turkish media publish an image showing a Russian serviceman holding a rocket launcher aboard a warship passing through the Bosphorus.

13 December - A Russian warship fires "warning shots" at a Turkish fishing vessel that it says was approaching it in the Aegean Sea.

In the latest incident, Russia's defence ministry said its frigate Smetlivy was anchored just off the Greek island of Lemnos on Sunday morning when it spotted the Turkish fishing boat heading towards it some 1,000m away.

"Despite numerous attempts by the crew of the Smetlivy, the crew of the Turkish fishing boat did not make radio contact and did not respond to visual signals by semaphore or warning flares," the ministry said in a statement.

To prevent a collision, "small arms were fired in the direction of the Turkish vessel from a range that is not lethal".

The ministry said that "immediately after that the Turkish vessel drastically changed course" and passed within half a kilometre of the Smetlivy, still making no contact with the Russian crew.

Russian military vessels are involved in Russia's intervention against rebels in Syria.

President Vladimir Putin described as a "stab in the back" Turkey's downing of the Russian bomber and has imposed economic sanctions.

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu warned on Friday that Ankara's patience with Russia was "not unlimited", and accused Moscow of using "every opportunity" to punish Turkey for the downing of the plane.

Source, links and photos:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35087050

WillowbyBrat asked me to add:  "Dammit!!! They missed!"

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic