Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

May prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May prepping
    Posted: May 01 2016 at 8:12pm
So what's everyone going to work in this month? I have decided to work on soap products, mainly because I found a good sale/clearance today. I got generic bars of soap on clearance for $1.15 for 6 bars (equivalent to Dove & Safeguard) I bought 7 packs, so that should last awhile and I saved a lot of money. I also got 5 very large bottles of dish detergent for .75 each.

I got my raised bed garden ready (since everything was given to me free), but haven't planted anything in it yet. Hopefully get something in it this week. My plum trees have a few plums on this year, the first time. My 3 new apple trees I just planted are all blossoming. My peach tree is loaded with peaches.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 11:37pm
Well I have to wait unti it stops snowing to even think I may plant a garden!   So just looking at what I want to plant.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 8:36pm
It's late Autumn here, the equivalent of November in the Northern hemisphere, and we've had an extended summer. I was picking ripe strawberries yesterday for lunch, which makes me wonder if we'll pay for it with a really cold winter.

We've topped up our diesel tank, and I'm going to load up on matches as our supply seemed to have almost vanished. I guess you don't take any notice as you take one from here, and another from there, and before  you know it, they've all gone. I've also found a good cheap outlet for batteries. I bought a whole heap last week and will get some more this week. I'm sure I read that they keep for ages.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 8:38am
I normally cut wood this time of year but there's 190 acres across the road from me that's being logged and the guy logging it is selling fire wood for $120 a cord, delivered and stacked! I'm going to buy a cord every month until he's done! I'm also going to buy up fat wood while it's on sale!
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 12:44pm
Airish, ask the guy if you can pick over the areas that have already been logged. My friends live next to a plantation that was logged last year and they picked over just a tiny bit of it and got more kindling than they could use. And pine cones. I'm sure they won't mind. You could pick a basket full every evening and then sit back for 5 years doing nothing.

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 3:07pm
If hiking counts as prepping, I've been doing a lot of that. Also, need to get some otc preps and more pet preps.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 6:40pm
Hiking definitely counts - and in more ways than one. I hike with my son, whether it's with his Scout troop or just the two of us, and it definitely prepares you for situations that most people would have a hard time with. Much of the population would be hopelessly out of their depth if a few miles were placed between them and food/water/shelter with nothing but their feet to get them there.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 6:55am
KiwiMum- There aren't many pines in my part of the Ozark mountains (You would laugh at what we call a mountain here! Ours are 6-9 hundred meters not 3-4 thousand). Most of the trees are Oaks, Hickory's, Walnuts, Gums and wild Cherry. When we bought the place we planted some Loblolly Pines on the north side of the house for a future wind break but their not very big yet! We do get a few pine cones and as they grow we'll get more! The loggers here bulldoze the tops into huge piles and when it's wet they burn them. It's an awful waste!
Buy more ammo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic