Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Super Bugs -Pan Drug Resistant Bacteria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Bugs -Pan Drug Resistant Bacteria
    Posted: May 27 2016 at 5:48am
Having posted threads on this in the past, I knew this day was coming. As Tuberculosis and many other diseases will eventually outstrip and become resistant to all of our antibiotics and antivirals - now we are told of a new form of E-Coli.

What is disturbing is that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg and not the time of arrival. As we have huge populations of 3rd world outside and now coming into the U.S., they will bring with them these super bugs. It is likely this one originated in China.

It only takes one such "bug" - not even a virus - but a bacteria to sweep the hospitals and shut many of them down - "not if, but when" - the specter of a Post Antibiotic Era.

Medclinician  - CWN - JB

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 6:24am
In depth video on superbugs.

Medclinician - CWN - JB

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 1:33pm
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 5:32pm
I think I've posted about this before, but it's relevant given the topic of Med's posts.
Growing up, I remember elderly relatives (who have all since passed away) talk of "blood poisoning" in the context of family and friends they had lost. It was spoken of enough that it used to scare me as a child because they all seemed to have known someone who had succumbed.
In hindsight, they were probably talking about sepsis in a time before antibiotics were readily available. Simple remedies like soaking a wound in warm salt water were often touted as a way to avoid infection by those who understood the value of preventative care. As we begin to rely less and less on pharmaceutical interventions, I think we're going to see an increasing need for many of the old school methods of wound care that likely saved many lives in centuries past. Simple techniques aimed at halting infections before they become systemic will once again be our first line of defense as multi-drug resistant bacteria become the norm.
Our ancestors had ways of dealing with infection in a world without antibiotics. It might be a good idea to re-learn what they knew because it looks like we've come full circle thanks to our arrogance and shortsightedness.
Way to go, Home Sapiens

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 8:38pm
I need to finally buy this stuff: Manukaguard Medical Grade Manuka Honey, 8.8 Ounce It is used for wounds.

I agree with you jacksdad we need to go back to the old ways!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 4:18am
I remember "blood poisoning" from my childhood: my best friend's dad had it and survived - just.  He had suffered it before I was born and I was witness to the aftermath.  Looking back with the more educated eyes of adulthood, I would say that it had been an infection which had begun to spread systemically (not necessarily accompanied by a full sepsis cytokine storm - but he was a survivor so it had been halted in his case).  

The post infective symptoms were as follows:

Scarring from drain holes,
Lymphodema (quite mild in this case)
Very prominent veins
Total body debilitation - he never worked again.

I hope that could lead to a better diagnosis from our medical members.  I suspect that "blood poisoning" referred to a variety of disease senarios, including fasciitis, gangrene and sepsis.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 8:26am
Yep - gangrene was another that seemed to scare the bejeezus out of older family members. I can only imagine the horror of watching an infection spreading unchecked, and knowing that amputation may well be the only option available. Returning to anything close to that because we were just too stupid to see the writing on the wall is a daunting prospect.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 7:13am
Don't ask - don't tell? Looks like many hospitals are not reporting their highly resistant outbreaks.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/scope-linked-superbug-outbreak-report-blames-feds-manufacturers-hospitals/2016-01-14

In one case the outbreak was at Huntington Hospital in California in August of 2015 and finally they are releasing the information.

The report also faulted the "passive" system the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) relies on to monitor patient safety problems; because the FDA must wait for providers to report safety issues, the agency could not identify the problem until it was brought to them. "Until a system is implemented that allows FDA to independently monitor, track, and assess the performance of devices, the agency will not be able to adequately identify risks to patient safety from particular devices like duodenoscopes and move quickly to address those risks," the report states.

Numerous affected hospitals, meanwhile, didn't follow proper reporting procedures; of the hospitals that discovered scope-linked superbug infections, 16 did nothing to notify manufacturers or the FDA, letting them know later than required, if at all, and often failing to notify affected patients. Last March, soon after the news of the contaminated scopes broke, FDA officials also faulted the manufacturers' testing process for recommended cleaning procedures. The federal agency, meanwhile, faced widespread criticism for its perceived slowness in issuing a warning about the risk, acting only after the infections killed two patients at UCLA's Ronald Reagan Medical Center, FierceHealthcare previously reported.

A spokesman for Olympus Corp., a manufacturer of the scopes, said in a statement to the press the company would "closely review" the report's recommendations, which include a staggered recall of devices that pose a threat, according to Bloomberg; similarly, FDA Spokeswoman Deborah Kotz told Bloomberg the agency is already working to implement many of the recommendations.

comment: This is likely the tip of the iceberg and we begin to try to fight super-bugs and to put off the arrival of a post-antibiotic era.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 3:39am
http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-uncounted-surveillance/

Fifteen years after the U.S. declared drug-resistant infections to be a grave threat, the crisis is only worsening, a Reuters investigation finds, as government agencies remain unwilling or unable to impose reporting requirements on a healthcare industry that often hides the problem.

Even when recorded, tens of thousands of deaths from drug-resistant infections – as well as many more infections that sicken but don’t kill people – go uncounted because federal and state agencies are doing a poor job of tracking them. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the go-to national public health monitor, and state health departments lack the political, legal and financial wherewithal to impose rigorous surveillance.

States that said they do track deaths generally do so for only a few types of drug-resistant infections and not consistently. In the survey, they reported a combined total of about 3,300 deaths from 2003 to 2014.

That’s a tiny fraction of the actual toll: A Reuters analysis of death certificates found that nationwide, drug-resistant infections were mentioned as contributing to or causing the deaths of more than 180,000 people during the same period. To conduct the analysis, Reuters worked with the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics’ Division of Vital Statistics to search text descriptions on death certificates to identify relevant deaths.

comment: CDC reporting of actual deaths in relationship to the Flu is only a very small number and during the off-season there are no weekly reports at all from late May until October.

We are reaching a point where many very dangerous viruses and bacteria are totally resistant to everything we have and many many people die because of this.

During the Swine Flu Pandemic I was told by one health official there was no point in reporting high numbers of deaths because "there was nothing they could do to prevent it and why scare people?".

The improper use of anti-biotics has created these bugs. The chances of catching them in the hospital has become so great that many doctors do not want to do invasive surgery and have stopped the totally open surgeries of the past.

In a time of the declining quality of health care, hospitals are becoming dangerous places, especially for the elderly. You are more likely to catch something in a hospital than in your everyday life and the longer you are in there, the more chance you have of getting a disease that will kill you far quicker than any condition you went in for.

For the most part, politician have stopped talking about viruses, Pandemics, or superbugs since the Ebola epidemics in Africa several years ago.

What if Zika become a nastier virus and we are caught flat footed as they still battle to pass money to fight it in the U.S.?

Once when I had Swine Flu and babies were dying in the ER lobby as well as young children, I was put in a room, no vitals taken over hours, no medicines given of any kind. I was put there to die as the entire ER was swamped with patients. Why? Because that year the vaccine did not match up with the strain of flu, and they had nothing to give you for Swine Flu.

We near the end of the antibiotic age where drugs like Penicillin - still given- are worthless. Our current health survelliance system is poor funded and samples taken so few in so few states it does not accurately tell us how many people die from Super Bugs.

While we talk of building walls to protect ourselves from immigrants, the nastiest meanest immigrant of all is the virus which spreads from undeveloped countries in the tropics to the U.S. and other Western nations from the 3rd World.

Someday we will see a The Stand bug which becomes Pandemic which puts the 1918 Pandemic to shame in terms of lives lost.

Not if - but when.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 3:50am
The Rise of the Superbug

Medclinician - CWN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic