Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Has anyone got their flu vaccine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone got their flu vaccine?
    Posted: September 17 2016 at 6:09am
Has anyone got their flu vaccine yet? I was at a routine doctor visit yesterday and they asked me if I wanted it. I went ahead and got the flu vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine. I've had pneumonia before and hope to never have it again.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 10:21am
Our surgery does not have it in yet:  Angry !      As soon as it does, we will get it.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 10:45am
My daughter is getting hers next week, just so happen to have an appointment for her already for something else so why not. Don't know when hubby will get his, he's a procrastinator. I'm going probably next week & I'm encouraging my college freshman son to stop by campus health services & get his, we will see if that happens. I'm probably most anxious for him to get it than any of us since I bet it's a breeding ground for bugs on a campus.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 10:54am
I'm a little more wary right now, as my college age daughter lives in the dorms and one of the students had meningitis, luckily she did already have the vaccine, the student I think was from out of the country and came here to play sports. I just wanted to make sure that I got vaccinated for the flu when I could, so I was glad they had it, the pneumonia was just a bonus.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 4:26pm
Not yet, but we will as soon as we can. It's a traditional family outing 😊
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 8:39pm
I'll get mine as soon as Kaiser Permanente in Southern CA says they'll start the clinics. I think that's at the end of the month.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 9:37pm
I need to get one maybe this weekend. I need to get that new pneumonia shot too, got the original pneumonia shot in 2010 and it is good until 2020. It did not do me any good last year when I was in hospital for 3 days with pneumonia!

So much for vaccines! But I still get them!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 10:15pm
Where I live (Finland) the flu vaccine is only offered much later - our flu season seems also to start later.

In years past the vaccine seems to come in with the flu and at first is only offered to priority cases (health staff, over 65s, asthma sufferers etc*).  By the time it is available for healthy people like me, it seems that the flu season is half over so I don't bother.  My wife is in a risk category, but in the past she has had strong reactions to the vaccines so she would rather risk the chance of flu than the certainty of needing bed rest after the vaccine.

* last year they also add pharmacy staff as priority cases and not just nurses/doctors.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 2:59pm
Got mine today. Also, I guess some student had chickenpox at school so they sent out an email to those who might have been exposed. If you've had the shot and have had chickenpox before, what's the likelihood of getting it again?
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 4:23pm
We got ours last Friday.

I bet the chances of getting chicken pox would be low under those circumstances Hachi. At least I hope so. Usually the fear is shingles after you've had the actual chicken pox, but I'm not sure how that manifests, not sure if shingles are contagious.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 6:36pm
I googled it, for what it's worth, cause I was curious. You can get chicken pox more than once, but it is extremely rare. What Jen said, the thing to worry about is shingles, however that is uncommon for people under 50. Keeping in mind there are always exceptions, lol.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 6:39pm
Shingles is contagious, but less contagious than chicken pox and if kept covered you won't spread it. I found that out too.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 8:56pm
My wife and I both got jabbed yesterday!  

This should interest those of us on the forum who are virus freaks:

What viruses do 2016-2017 flu vaccines protect against?

There are many flu viruses and they are constantly changing. The composition of U.S. flu vaccines is reviewed annually and updated to match circulating flu viruses. Flu vaccines protect against the three or four viruses that research suggests will be most common. For 2016-2017, three-component vaccines are recommended to contain:

• A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus,
  • A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus and a
  • B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus (B/Victoria lineage).

Four component vaccines are recommended to include the same three viruses above, plus an additional B virus called B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (B/Yamagata lineage).

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

CRS, DrPH
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 5:34pm
A second case of chicken pox just got confirmed today. I think one of my friends got chicken pox 2x.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic