Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

BEST President ever.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST President ever.
    Posted: August 16 2018 at 1:31am
That's ok, Arirish. I already know I can't spell in English. Finding out I can't spell in whatever language the Padishaw Emperor's folk spoke is no surprise.

Offence neither intended nor taken.

I'm glad to find another whom actually read it, not just watched that dreadful film!

I don't speak Vulcan either, or Klingon. I understand Klingon is more widely spoken than Esperanto. I find that rather sad.

I can do the Vulcan split-finger salute. Now I come to think of it, that is rather sad too.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:52pm
Techno - Please excuse my geekiness! I don't know why I remember this! The phrase you reference from "Dune" is Kull Wahad! In English "I am profoundly stirred"! And no, I don't speak Vulcan!

To all - Trump, though he acts like a big shot, like he's tough and strong and wants people to think he's a Mafia Don is in reality a petty, weak, vindictive little man who's father bullied him into becoming a bully himself! He has no friend he won't turn on. He's alone, paranoid and afraid and as POTUS is one of the most powerful people in the world! Keep prepping!
Buy more ammo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 2:26pm
anyone who calls someone else a "DOG"

IS NOT FIT TO HOLD A DOG LEAD

THIS IS DISGUSTING BEHAVIOR FROM A "SO" CALLED PRESIDENT,

just TRAILER TRASH ,like IT's sycophants followers,

can't wait for the tapes...............

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.đź––

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 11:32am
Nice to have you back, Med.

We all are suffering the unexpected links appearing in our text; it's not just you. I have no idea why.

let's see............

1) The lowest unemployment in 20 years - true but a huge drop in wage security, at-work-safety and job satisfaction.

2) a huge jump in the the GNP - also true, but the working-man is not reaping the benefits, only the rich are.

3) rising stock market - see answer to above point.

4) developing company and car manufactures and industry. - true as well, but only for some companies, others are too damaged by the growing trade war.

5) an historic income tax cut which gave many workers cash bonuses which benefited the companies as well as the workers. - only half true, it benefeted the rich but not the workers.

6) North Korea has been stalemated and is no longer the threat is was. Absolute rubbish. Totally wrong! NK is still building rockets and nukes, they only said they would stop.

7) Sanctions on Iran are resulting a revolution and may replace the current government with a democracy. - true, but very risky with middle east countries. They usually go more islamist - Iran is a case in point! There had been some small moves towards a more westernised secular iran- not any more! OWN GOAL!

8) The Trump Effect - as he backs those running in primaries who are winning. I do not understand what you mean here. If you mean that those whom he supports are doing well that is true some of the time and is having the opposite effect in others. - neither a win or a loss but a draw.

9) The chance of a Red Wave and both the Congress and Senate may lose control the Republicans. I am unsure what you mean here as well. He does seem to be producing something of a Democrat revival, but they are usually seen as blue in the USA. They are only perieved as red outside your country. Unless you mean Red as in Communist. God forbid that, but the effect seems to be very mild, whichever way you intended it.

10) A more powerful military and support of law enforcement. - I agree on that point, he is doing some good things for veterans too. He only insults those veterans who are black. Other than that his treatment of them seems ok. Of course not everyone sees the racisim in that distinction as a good thing. I dont!

11) The first NASA space shot in years in a mission to the Sun which will set the stage for space exploration. - That is a Trump win! Well done that man!

12) A new branch of the Air Force which is a Space Force which heralds the coming of visions of the Star Trek genre and space exploration. Militarising the space force is probably not a good thing. But I can't blame him for that one, it has been covertly in the hands of the military for decdes. This way is more honest.

13) Most of the fake news stems from Trump's own tweets. Even the things he has got right are worthless in the face of his truth-twisting. Goebbels would be proud!!!

Augustine may have been a wise man, but he had never heard of Twitter and preceeded Goebbels by over a millenia. The truth has to be researched and defended these days or liars like Trump's team and the liars of FOX news can all to0 easily fool the stupid and those not paying attention!

So
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 8:32am
Rumors of my recent demise - as in major heart attack which nearly killed me July 14, 2018 are true. I was in intensive care for 7 days and nearly died. Yet - I am still here.

"And I only am escaped alone to tell thee." Moby Dick

"And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee," Job 1:15

It would seem God and also someone in the health care system - government - gave me the best possible care and as my cardiologist and the surgeon there Dr. Spowart said "You did not just dodge a bullet, you dodged a cannonball.

So, moving right along...

do not click on the false links being inserted in my text on this website - they lead to ads and content having nothing to do with what I am saying. Don't click them. (Is there a virus on this site Albert doing this? Could you fix this?)
Not the Trump Effect that is good link

I'm back

So is Trump and despite the efforts of The Swamp and a seriously corrupt pantheon of criminals, is our best president for the last 40 years.

The fake news - which I first talked about (and the Real News) - as well as the Witchhunt - and I was the first to use that expression and post it here - continues.

The only collusion was with Hillary Clinton and also sanctioned by President Obama of an illegal court order.

The Clinton Foundation was guilty of pay for play and made more than 150,000,000 in bribes to give a large part of our uranium to the Russians to make nuclear bombs.

President Obama as he was leaving gave millions of dollars worth of cash to finance terrorist groups in Iran and the entire duration of his presidency was a horror story for America.

Now Trump -

1) The lowest unemployment in 20 years
2) a huge jump in the the GNP
3) rising stock market
4) developing company and car manufactures and industry.
5) an historic income tax cut which gave many workers cash bonuses which benefited the companies as well as the workers.
6) North Korea has been stalemated and is no longer the threat is was.
7) Sanctions on Iran are resulting a revolution and may replace the current government with a democracy.
8) The Trump Effect - as he backs those running in primaries who are winning.
9) The chance of a Red Wave and both the Congress and Senate may lose control the Republicans.
10) A more powerful military and support of law enforcement.
11) The first NASA space shot in years in a mission to the Sun which will set the stage for space exploration.
12) A new branch of the Air Force which is a Space Force which heralds the coming of visions of the Star Trek genre and space exploration.

So

let me say this in closing

“The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.” ― Augustine of Hippo

Medclinician - CWN - "not if - but when"
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 11:20pm
You mean the Chamberland-Trump "We have peace in our time" deal????
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 8:33am
But Donnie told us it was a great deal!  He can['t have been making it up!  Could he?
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 6:15am

North Korea is 'upgrading its nuclear facility' despite denuclearisation pledge

uhh Donnie
what the heck is going on ???
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 10:05am
There are two versions, carbon. The first time I read it, I had the original. The second copy I bought on Amazon was the edited US version, I believe. It's missing some good stuff - not sure what possessd them to do that as it's not a particularly long book. We're not talking "The Stand" here.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 5:22am
I am afraid my opinion of Dennis Wheatley is not fit to be repeated in public.  I have seen a fair few "impossible" things, but Wheatley understood none of it; or if he did, he kept embarrasingly quiet about it.  I suppose, as an adventure writer, he was not too bad - if you enjoy his mysogeny!

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 5:15am
Kull wahid, Carbon!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 4:27am
Funny My wife says she is a Pagan,

Im a Human....lol,

was bought up on my grandmothers Dennis Wheatley books.....

listening to ,Emerson, Lake and Parmer,

Dune by frank herbert  is a favorite,

just down loaded "Childhoods end" still reading after 30 pages might be a stayer....lol
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.đź––

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 2:57am
Ps What are the other two books called?  I will track them down as a trilogy.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 2:44am
Not at all.  Pagan is my path*, but they all end up in the same place**.

Anyway, suspending disbelief is part of the process of enjoying a good book.  I loved "Black Easter" By James Blish.

* I have a problem with blind faith - I don't have any.  I don't require double blind, scientific trials,  but at least something which would stand-up-in-court. 

**Very little proof of that one, just a few hints, clues and the testimony of some trusted/worthy people.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I have not read Lewis's Hideous strength, an omission I must correct!

Warning: the book is part of a triology where Lewis explores some aspects of his Christian faith (like the introduction of evil parallel to the Garden of Eden story in the Voyage to Venus).  I don't know if that would put you off or not.  

Actually it is years since I have read them, so I forget the science part of them.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 12:21am
I actually met one of the cover artists (No, I have never been to a convention, I just live nearby.) and He just painted what he wanted to.

When syfy was in short supply, I would read horror.  Yet the scariest horror stories all turned out to be syfy (probably because it was more real to me) like Campbell's "Who goes there?", Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons" and Forrester's "The Machine Stops"; two of those because I can see them slowly comming true around me!  A bit like the cover of that bromance.

I don't mind historical or mythical stuff turning up, as long as the explanation makes sense.  In my opinion, being set in space/the future is not the definition of syfy, that can be space-opera which I loathe!  However, the people do matter, if we did not care for them, the science or tech would not matter either.  But, romance, action and affection for the characters are like salt and pepper on my dinner. They bring out the flavour, but there must be something to bring out the flavour of.  On their own they are inedible.

I have not read Lewis's Hideous strength, an omission I must correct!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 10:45pm
I am still haunted by the wired brain in C.S.Lewis' The Hideous Strength  [although I am not sure about bringing the Merlin myth into a SciFi book Wink]

The books that I find interesting  are the ones that tend to be good a describing human reactions to possible technology / different biology - in this case it doesn't matter if the science if a bit off.

BTW. That cover picture was for a horror film

BTW (2) Not one of the book cover pictures of the SciFi books that I have is an accurate depiction of the story within - is the some rule that the artist is not allowed to read the book first?
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 3:52pm
Ps., sorry for the book cover.  In retrospect, I realise, there are things you just can't un-see which can haunt your dreams forever.  SORRY!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 3:51pm
I did say most - seen that and loved it - especially the representation of the tessersact.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 3:49pm

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 3:41pm
Here is a great romance titled "The Nukebook":

https://i.redd.it/hbaxvs81x3411.jpg
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 3:34pm
Can't argue with any of them, Bernard and I are srill occasionally laughing at "Elephants in elevator shoes flying paper aeroplanes!" 

I would like to add "The Alien Way" By Gordon Dickson which is still the best 'why would an alien be alien' theory I have ever encountered and (just because I am female and even in syfy love a tragic romance) "Hello Summer Goodbye" By Michael Coney.

'And, I just can't resist a twist in the tale.

I get a bit annoyed at some modern stuff, especially films!  Syfy blockbusters usually colossaly dissapoint, through bad (or even nonexistant) science and glaring plot holes.  Whilst all my friends were ooh-ing and aaah-ing at the opening sequence of Star Wars, I was bemoaning the lack of realism, shouting in the cinema:  "YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY SOUND IN SPACE!!!"  It quite spoiled the franchise for me.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 2:43pm
"Childhood's End" by Arthur C Clarke (and later "Songs of Distant Earth") made one hell of an impression when I first read it at the age of ten or so. Lots of really good stuff out there that will transport you a long, long way from everyday life.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 2:31pm
Larry Nivien "Ringworld"and "Neutron Star",

with Jerry Purnell for the "Mote in Gods Eye"and "FootFall",

Awesome.............

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 10:08am
It was good for the science of its day.  For instance, my favourite short story is "Dust Rag" by Hal Clement.  Awesome!

Those writers were all on my list, but I forgot to add Bob Shaw and Harlan Elison in. (SLAP WRIST!)

Sigh! Glory Days!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 9:46am
I grew up with my head buried in stuff from the golden ages of science fiction - Asimov, Heinlein, EE 'Doc' Smith, Pohl, Del Rey, Anderson,  Bradbury, Clarke, etc. I love the newer stuff, but there was something about that period. Often totally improbable with science that makes no sense now, but awesome nonetheless.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 6:07am
Ps.  The list is short for lack of space, not writers.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 6:06am
Believe it or not, my childhood best friend's mum used to read him as bedtime stories.  I was only there for a few "episodes" from each book so I had to find out for myself.  My own mum addicted me to Huxley and Orwell. 

Stupidly, I did not think of mysef as a syfy fan until I was 11 when a book of short stories led me on to Asimov - my first love! Then the addiction took hold big time!  When my teenage female peers were reading Mills & Boon, I was reading McCaffrey and Edmund Cooper. 

I tried a bit of fantasy - but it was all too childish!  I think I was in the true golden age of syfy which those early giants had given birth to.  I had Aldiss Ballard, Simak, Dick, Dickson, Asimov, Coney and Holdstock - whom I was lucky enough to meet.

Then came cyberpunk and my love faltered for a while, I even cheated with a fantasy writer (Pratchett).

But it is back with a new field of writers, which sadly, I never have the time to read.  Sigh!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 4:03am
i'v only ever met two other people that have read we Windham

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 2:54am
Yeah, Carbon!  Always wished I could do all that.  Every Windham I could get my hands on (John Beynon too).
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 2:24am
@technophobe,"the chrysalids" by any chance?

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

North Korea is giving up it's nukes? Probably not. They've been promising that for years. And the "pledge" that was signed is practically worthless and heavily favors North Korea anyway. They negotiated far better apparently. How ironic.

And I'm not sure that starting negotiations by threatening to destroy North Korea with nuclear weapons is really in the spirit of the Nobel Peace Prize. Bringing about peace (something this is unlikely to achieve) with shotgun wedding tactics might be a stretch.

It looks like Rudy Guliani is letting Manafort know it's okay to keep quiet and take one for the team. He suggested today that it can be "cleaned up" with some presidential pardons. If that isn't witness tampering, I don't know what is.

Well said, JD!  

a) NK give up nukes?  Never.  They will talk and negotiate as a way of buying time to build even more.  They can blow up their testing sites = now that they have a proven warhead design, they no longer need to test - it would be a waste of fissile material. 

b) Manafort may be keeping quiet because he is afraid of what the Russians will do to him & his family if he says too much: 

But Manafort has refused to do so (flip). Even though he’s facing 25 charges that could easily put him in prison for the rest of his life — and even though the evidence for many if not most of these charges appears quite strong — he’s pleaded not guilty to everything, and has given no public indication he’s considering flipping.

Why? Again, one possible explanation is he just has nothing to flip with. Either he wasn’t involved in collusion or he has nothing on Trump or anybody else Mueller cares about. Alternatively, maybe Manafort is just holding out hope that he can beat the charges.

A darker possibility is that, given an apparent series of Russia-linked assassinationsin the WestManafort fears violent reprisals against himself or his family should he give information implicating Russians.

CRS, DrPH
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 4:24pm
Nice to meet a fellow Huxley fan.

You can't blame the gammas though, Carbon.  Thank Ford! They weren't bred to think.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 2:58pm
do they think everyone is blind,

do they have a plan for the next election!!!!!!??????

Net Neautrality gone !!!!!!!!!! what have you done

BIG BROTHER and Herr Goebblels will have a field day,

bring on the Soma......aka Methe/Oploids (read the book below)

you just fell right into their laps.............

but then what do you expect from the masses..............

fixated on Bling, no real substance...............

into that "Brave New World" we go..................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
Brave New World is a dystopian novel written in 1931 by English author Aldous Huxley, and published in 1932. Largely set in a futuristic World State of ...
Pages‎: ‎311 (1932 ed.); 63,766 words
Country‎: ‎United Kingdom
Cover artist‎: ‎Leslie Holland
Published‎: ‎1932 (‎Chatto & Windus‎)

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 4:10pm
North Korea is giving up it's nukes? Probably not. They've been promising that for years. And the "pledge" that was signed is practically worthless and heavily favors North Korea anyway. They negotiated far better apparently. How ironic.

And I'm not sure that starting negotiations by threatening to destroy North Korea with nuclear weapons is really in the spirit of the Nobel Peace Prize. Bringing about peace (something this is unlikely to achieve) with shotgun wedding tactics might be a stretch.

It looks like Rudy Guliani is letting Manafort know it's okay to keep quiet and take one for the team. He suggested today that it can be "cleaned up" with some presidential pardons. If that isn't witness tampering, I don't know what is.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

Image result for chamberlain "peace in our time"

In black and white images it is quite difficult to see how the colours match - yellow and orange!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 2:48pm

Singapore summit echoes Hitler-Chamberlain meeting in 1938, but offering 'lots of great condos' in our time

Updated Thu at 10:56am

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

< ="jw-icon jw-nextup- jw-" aria-label="Next Up " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; font-size: 13px; font-family: jw-icons; color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0.6; : none; line-height: 1em; list-style: none; text-align: left; vertical-align: line; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; direction: ltr; font-stretch: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0; -sizing: inherit; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; opacity: 0; : ; right: 5px; top: 6px; transition: color 0.15s ease, opacity 0.15s ease, visibility 0.15s ease; visibility: ;">
VIDEO: 'They have great beaches': Trump says North Korea could develop condos (ABC News)

Four days after he took office, US President Donald Trump made good on a campaign pledge and withdrew the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

He had derided the painstakingly negotiated 12-nation treaty as a "potential disaster for our country" because of the harm it would do to manufacturing jobs.

But now, in his meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, Mr Trump has set off on what may become a new type of Trans-Pacific Partnership, this time under his own terms.

President Trump: "They have great beaches. You see that whenever they're exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said, boy look at that, wouldn't that make a great condo…And I explain, you know, instead of doing that you could have the best hotels in the world right there."

Only this one will tie the United States to a Communist country with which it was at war six decades ago, and also possibly open the door to more ties to another Communist country, China, with which the US only re-established relations under another Republican president, Richard M Nixon, in 1972.

Mr Trump's audacity is still reverberating in political circles in the United States and elsewhere. But he was perhaps unintentionally clear in at least one of his aims for the detente with North Korea.

Although it was ostensibly portrayed as an effort to rid North Korea of nuclear weapons, Mr Trump unveiled another goal in a news conference after the meeting in Singapore.

"As an example, they have great beaches," Mr Trump mused. "You see that whenever they're exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said, 'Boy, look at that view. Wouldn't that make a great condo.'"

He went on, "You could have the best hotels in the world right there. Think of it from a real estate perspective. You have South Korea, you have China, and they own the land in the middle. How bad is that, right? It's great."

Echoes of Adolf Hitler meeting in 1938

It was a revealing moment, but it also brought to mind another meeting between a Western leader and another strongman, this one from Germany, that took place 80 years ago.

< width="100%" border="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" allowtransparency="" ="http://www.youtube.com//hQ95ffnU4Sw?iv_load_policy=3&modestbranding=1&showinfo=0&rel=0&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au&list=&start=0&enablejsapi=1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; display: block; : ; height: 191.25px;">
YOUTUBE: Chamberlain declares 'I believe it is peace in our time' in 1938

In September, 1938, British prime minister Neville Chamberlain travelled to Munich, along with French prime minister Eduard Daladier and Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, to meet with Adolf Hitler.

The meeting resulted in an agreement that allowed Germany to annex a portion of Czechoslovakia, after Germany had reclaimed the Rhineland and took control of Austria. It was clear that Germany would take control of the German-speaking Sudetenland by force, unless European leaders would get out of his way.

Chamberlain agreed, thinking that war had been avoided. And in one of the biggest miscalculations in history, he told a crowd gathered at 10 Downing Street: "I believe it is peace for our time."

In fact, Germany's ambitions did not end there, and Britain declared war on Germany a year later.

A number of analysts said on Tuesday that Mr Trump was miscalculating by agreeing to a number of steps, such as ending joint military exercises with South Korea, without significant concessions from Mr Kim.

Trump ditching allies for new friends in Asia

There were reports that Chinese officials knew about the step before the US informed its embassy in South Korea and, most certainly, before the US told other allies about the step.

But Mr Trump, in just this past week, has shown that he is dispensing with America's traditional partners in the West, and turning to a new set of friends, namely those who have welcomed him in Asia.

His spat with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over steel and aluminium tariffs threatens to explode into a bigger trade war over auto parts.

That tangle and his running disagreements with French Prime Minister Emmanuel Macron over climate change prompted Mr Trump's refusal to sign a joint G7 statement, leave Charlevoix, Quebec early, and fire off angry tweets from Air Force One on his way to Singapore to rendezvous with Mr Kim.

His smiles, and arm pats and handshakes there were a sharp contrast to the stormy scene he left behind him.

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

< ="jw-icon jw-nextup- jw-" aria-label="Next Up " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; font-size: 13px; font-family: jw-icons; color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0.6; : none; line-height: 1em; list-style: none; text-align: left; vertical-align: line; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; direction: ltr; font-stretch: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0; -sizing: inherit; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; opacity: 0; : ; right: 5px; top: 6px; transition: color 0.15s ease, opacity 0.15s ease, visibility 0.15s ease; visibility: ;">
VIDEO: Trump says war games with South Korea have been suspended (ABC News)

Trump supporters watch their guy go

All of it was exactly what Mr Trump's supporters want to see. First, the belligerent candidate they put into office acting in trademark fashion, and then pulling off the kind of public spectacle with the North Korean dictator that no other president would attempt, let alone tolerate.

Even Mr Trump, however, knows that his bold action may end up in failure, just as Chamberlain's agreement with Hitler blew up in Europe's face 80 years ago.

North Korea has said numerous times that it was willing to discuss denuclearisation, only to fail to follow through. Meanwhile, it has continued to test nuclear weapons, which are the main leverage it has over its Asian neighbours, as well as the West.

Mr Trump, despite his euphoria, seemed to be setting the bar low. And in a statement displaying the brashness his biographers and other journalists have come to know, he admitted his gamble with Mr Kim could be for naught.

"I may be wrong," Mr Trump said during the news conference. "I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey, I was wrong'.

"I don't know that I'll ever admit that," he said with a smile, "but I'll find some kind of an excuse."

He may like to brush up on his World War II history.

Chamberlain, as Britain headed into war with Germany, told the House of Commons:

"Everything that I have worked for, everything that I have hoped for, everything that I have believed in during my public life has crashed into ruins."

Micheline Maynard is a journalist and author.

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 2:39pm

Have we seen this all before? The Trump-Kim summit statement, annotated

Posted about 2 hours ago

After months of anticipation and false starts, US President Donald Trump's meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore culminated in the signing of a joint statement.

Mr Trump said the summit went "better than anybody could have expected" and when asked what made this time different, Mr Trump said America had a different administration and a different president.

But there was nonetheless a sense of deja vu in the air — North Korea has agreed to concessions in the past, before abruptly reneging on its commitments and continuing its pursuit of nuclear weapons.

Previous agreements include the Agreed Framework in 1994, negotiated under then president Bill Clinton, and the six-party joint statement in 2005, negotiated under then president George W Bush.

So what exactly is new? And what have we seen before?

We enlisted the help of North Korea experts Justin Hastings, an associate professor in the Department of Government and International Relations at Sydney University, and Leonid Petrov, a Korean studies expert at the Australian National University, to help us answer those questions in the highlighted sections below.

The full statement, annotated

President Donald J Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong-un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) held a first, historic summit in Singapore on June 12, 2018.

President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong-un conducted a comprehensive, in-depth, and sincere exchange of opinions on the issues related to the establishment of new US-DPRK relations and the building of a lasting and robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

President Trump committed to provide security guarantees to the DPRK, and Chairman Kim Jong-un reaffirmed his firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

Convinced that the establishment of new US-DPRK relations will contribute to the peace and prosperity of the Korean Peninsula and of the world, and recognising that mutual confidence-building can promote the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong-un state the following:

1. The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

2. The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

3. Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work towards complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

4. The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Having acknowledged that the US-DPRK summit — the first in history — was an epochal event of great significance and overcoming decades of tensions and hostilities between the two countries and for the opening of a new future, President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong-un commit to implement the stipulations in this joint statement fully and expeditiously.

The United States and the DPRK commit to hold follow-on negotiations led by the US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, and a relevant high-level DPRK official, at the earliest possible date, to implement the outcomes of the US-DPRK summit.

President Donald J Trump of the United States of America and Chairman Kim Jong-un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have committed to cooperate for the development of new US-DPRK relations and for the promotion of peace, prosperity, and security of the Korean Peninsula and of the world.

June 12, 2018

Sentosa Island

Marcus Aurelius
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 9:09am

Donald Trump’s Kim Jong Un Meeting Achieved Nothing and North Korea Isn’t Destroying Weapons Sites, Classified Report Reveals

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-203636381.html

Trump "the deal maker "

hmmmm
not so muchLOL
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 9:33am
Incidentally, not all Republicans automatically swallow the coolaid:

McConnell Backs Obamacare Coverage of Pre-Existing Illness

Updated on
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 6:06am
Both sides are guilty of that charge.  To the Trumpians everything Obama did was crap.  To the Obamians everything Trump does is crap. 

I am neither.  Obama made a few mistakes and Trump got a few things right. 

On average however, Trump does seem to accrue more fails and embarrasments.  Overall, this one seems exceptionally vile, inhuman and disgusting; (and that is a big score to top or should I say Trump). 

Of course, history could prove me wrong here; he might make it work yet.  But, I am not holding my breath.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:48pm
The general analysis I am hearing here is that the meeting was a win for Kim, with Trump giving up lots of things and getting nothing concrete in its place.

I do hope that it is an opening for other changes in the region, but as yet it is just a photo opportunity for a leader who in the days before blow off his most important allies.  

Dutch Josh on his 3rd World War thread, has a good comment on some of the other important players in the mix (China, Russia, South Korea - plus Japan). The complexity of the issues which include the possibility of the reuniting of the Korean peninsular must involve more people and can not be hashed out in a one to one meeting.

The BBC has an interesting write up .... not all conservatives are in agreement on the "success"
Originally posted by BBC BBC wrote:

A few other conservatives expressed dismay at seeing the US and North Korean flags side-by-side, and viewed Mr Trump's solicitous manner and warm words for Mr Kim as too much, given his nation's history of human rights violations.

"Needless to say, we would've wrecked Obama for doing this," tweeted conservative blogger Allahpundit.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 3:07pm
again i SAY watch China's LONG game ,

North Korea is China PUPPET,

China Planning way way past Chump's mental ability to comprehend what is really going on here ,

it was China conducting the Atomic tests NOT North Korea,

and nobody has picked up on the Unusual Brain problems of American embassy staffers at certain locations , is this a secret weapon being developed By SOMEONE,

you all been played for a bunch of fools 

WAKE UP...............

Marcus Aurelius
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 11:20am

Trump Suspends Joint "War Games" With South Korea, As China Emerges Big Summit Winner

• the lack of deal enforcement
  • the lack of verifiability of N.Korea's denuclearization efforts as part of the "Complete, Verifiable, Irreversible  Denuclearization" or CVID protocol
  • the legitimization of North Korea's regime
  • China's role in the process
  • the end of joint military drills with South Korea.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:39am
Ps.  We only have Kim's word that he destroyed his nuclear research facility.  Sure he blew something up.  But, with no nuclear armament specialists at the bang, just journalists with very carefully managed access to any source of information, he could have been destroying anything at all.

Even if it was a research facility, which I doubt, the research has been done already and who is to say there were not more facilities?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic