Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - amateur radio,is it a must for serious preppers ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

amateur radio,is it a must for serious preppers ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amateur radio,is it a must for serious preppers ?
    Posted: February 28 2018 at 3:28pm
Thinking of getting me a base station ,right,what you all think?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 8:46pm
For local or long range communication?
Buy more ammo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 2:44pm
long range SSB yasu or somthing ,

But digital or not been out of it for years ......

and "local " here is long range......

we the most isolated city in the world miles from anywhere lol,

have to talk on the "skip"from this side of the planet.........
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 4:13pm
I use a Cobra 148 GTL. It's am/ssb and on most days it's good for up to 50 miles but on the skip I've talked with people from all over the U.S. and Canada! I'm at 2100 feet (one of the tallest mountains around)and I'm on top so nothing to block my signal! I would do ham but in the U.S. you have to be licensed and it's relatively expensive! I've only got about $350 in my setup! I bought a used radio, mic and antenna, new cable from radio shack and a 4 X 4 ground plane from a salvage yard! Well worth it!
Buy more ammo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 2:29pm
thanks for that ,im not sure of the Ham license rules here ,so might just get a small rig to start,we at sea level ,but theres nothing east of us till you hit South Africa, so could be interesting,you never know might catch you on the "skip" ,will have to learn the 10 code again ,if thats still in vouge.....

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 5:19pm
Ten code is used a little here on the am cb side mostly by long haul truckers. On the sb side it's just normal conversation with a 10-4 thrown in here and there! If you have a good 2-way radio shop there have what ever you buy professionally tuned, it makes a huge difference!

On another subject I just watched a movie made in Australia called "Danny Deckchair"! Really good, funny movie! Any other comedies made Down Under you'd recommend?    
Buy more ammo!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:19pm
Last night we saw "The Dressmaker". This was more in the line of 'humour noir" so not in the regular comedy shelves.  If you are into gorgeous dresses displayed in a dusty run-down outback town then your are in for a treat.

Read more here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910904/
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 2:13pm
Good movies,

Breaker Morant
1980 ‧ Drama/History ‧ 1h 47m

The Man from Snowy River
1982 ‧ Drama/Romance ‧ 1h 42m

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Gettin'Square
https://youtu.be/W4anxZR1Sgs
2003 ‧ Caper story/Drama ‧ 1h 40m
<-viewer-group>
Strictly Ballroom
1992 ‧ Drama/Romance ‧ 1h 34m

Muriel's Wedding

1994 ‧ Drama/Romance ‧ 1h 50m

The Castle
1997 ‧ Drama/Cult film ‧ 1h 25m

Down Under
2016 ‧ Comedy ‧ 1h 30m
<-viewer-group>

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 4:41pm
I've seen Breaker Morant and Snowy River! Both excellent movies! I'll try to find the others on Net Flicks! Thanks!
Buy more ammo!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 9:51pm
Sorry Carbon, I kinda moved away from your original question, which was about base stations! When I first read your question, "amateur radio,is it a must for serious preppers" ? the first thing I thought of was the 1959 movie "On the Beach"! When the grid fails and there's no TV, no commercial radio, no phone service and no internet, most people will be totally isolated! Wouldn't it be nice to be connected to the outside world? The obvious answer is YES! For those of you with interest but have never messed with amateur radio before, go to youtube and search cb/ssb radio (citizen band/single side band radio), there are lots of videos for beginners from how to use to what to buy! You can get started for under $300.00 if you buy used! Spend some time just listening, get to know who's in your area and go slow at first! It's like AFT! People are cautious at first! People on side band normally don't do the trucker cb 10-4 good buddy stuff! It's more of a normal conversation with an occasional "over" thrown in! I used mine a lot during the ice storm when all the radio and tv stations were with out power! Hope to talk with some of you soon!       
Buy more ammo!
DeepThinker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepThinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 10:07pm
A good compromise... there are devices that let you use your cell phone as a ham\cb radio.    That might be a great option if you think  you will need to be communicating with people of over a medium distance during an emergency.   If I remember hearing right you can get several hundred miles of range of out it.   Now you have to figure out how to keep you electronic toys powered during said emergency :)
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 11:56pm
I used to be well into the cb radio scene 30 odd years ago,and it struck me we all reliant on the internet,maybe I should get a cb or ham again,as for power car battery could run it,

Marcus Aurelius
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 5:17pm
re the original question . . .  yes.  

I got into ham radio two Novembers ago when we discovered that out of the 130 people where I go to church, no one had a way to gather emergency information if we lost the regular means (television, commercial radio, telephones).  I been some time with the books and got my technician's, general, and extra licenses.  Now, I wouldn't be without amateur radio.  

Amateur radio is good for emergencies, but it has also become a good hobby as well.  I have made many friends on the air since 15 months ago.

Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 7:54pm
That was my thought exactly.....

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 8:14pm
I picked this up on the recommendation of a local 4x4 club. It's a Baofeng UV-5R handheld transceiver. Got it for about $30 on Amazon. Obviously it doesn't have the range of a large ham radio, but it gives you another means of communication in an emergency.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic