Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Second Wave - Strange New bug hits U.S. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Wave - Strange New bug hits U.S. 2018
    Posted: May 17 2018 at 9:39am
https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Second-wave-of-flu-in-full-effect-in-state-12835844.php

As you may or may not know, I lost my fiance to the widespread flu in New York on January 28, 2018. I have been in ICU 4x and still this bug hangs on. My new special person has it and everyone she knows and it is hitting hard in Pennsylvania right now.

In my ten years here on AFT I have yet to see CDC so secretive and the media so guarded in reporting a flu which is sweeping California and is still - still widespread in New York.

It mutated. The vaccine was not effective and no one is talking period. In March and a little in April they told us a Second Wave was coming. Well, it is here.

My neighborhood has been like a graveyard. No one walking their dogs, no loud voices of people arguing or fights, and very little traffic.

They are ill and no one is talking about it.

Even Cidrap is strangely mute. 

but

Though flu activity is technically past peak in Connecticut, illness linked to the contagious respiratory illness has actually spiked recently, due to a burst of influenza B viruses.

According to the latest report from the state Department of Public Health, though A viruses dominated the early part of flu season, B viruses have increased in circulation, causing a “second wave” of flu.

“This second wave of activity is especially apparent in the increasing percentage of patients with influenza-like illness presenting to outpatient providers and hospital emergency departments, along with the increasing number of laboratory confirmed flu cases and flu-associated hospitalizations,” read the report from the state. “We have also received reports of new flu-associated deaths during the past week in Connecticut.”

According to the release, as of Saturday, April 7, there were 138 flu-related deaths in Connecticut this season, up from 131 the week before. That week, there had been no flu-linked death for the first time in months.

The report also showed that, as of April 7, 10,269 people had tested positive for the flu in the state and 3,022 had been hospitalized.

comment: Where did this flu come from?   North Korea maybe?  With all the talk of peace - didn't Hitler do this before invading Poland - how easy it would be for them to release a flu strain in America to work over time to cripple most of the working population.

We are decreasing money to respond to Ebola when it gets to the U.S. Our medical infrastructure could not withstand any challenge to it from a major outbreak and CDC would not tell us if one were happening until after it happened - if there was anyone around to listen.

Gurgle. My stomach will not shut up and this has gone on for two weeks as all they can talk about is E-Coli in Romaine lettuce in California (do a search). 

I have found evidence of search engine manipulation to suppress things coming up. If you search by date - I will list pages months older - it used to be years - and God help you if you search on the word "outbreak". It is like certain key words go of into cyber heaven.

So

Rumbling stomach. ER is no good. I mean I need a fiery 102 temp plus difficulty in breathing to even be seen. They don't want contagious people in the ER. And there really is no aggressive measure in place to save people's lives with the flu.

Maybe in October we will hear - "yea it was really bad in May - and all over the place." It was like when I posted about 500,000 cases of flu in New York and they said there were 2400.

Don't want to alarm people. And really in an all out plague or Pandemic the clinics would shut down and the grid would as well.

Prepare.  It is coming. Not if, but when.  The triple bug Pandemic worse than any in history and able to spread in days.

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 10:17am
Huge difference down here in San Diego, Med - we have next to no flu activity that I'm aware of. None of my patients and coworkers have complained of symptoms, and the ERs don't seem any busier.  Wonder why it's so different in your neck of the woods? I was in LA with family over the weekend and didn't notice anything unusual there either - traffic was hell as usual, and parking in Santa Monica and Venice was practically nonexisistent. 

Anyone else seeing something similar? That would be worrisome if there was a pattern of infection this far into the warmer weather.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 10:30am
I don't want to say how it is over here; in case I jinx it. 
                                                                                       You should be able to guess from that.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 12:34am

FluView Activity Update (Key Flu Indicators)

Influenza activity in the United States continued to decrease, and is below the national baseline for the sixth consecutive week since late November according to the latest FluView report. Influenza-like illness (ILI) dropped from 1.5% reported last week to 1.2%.Current data indicate that the 2017-2018 flu season peaked at 7.5% in early February (during week 5). However, 5 states, Guam, and Puerto Rico continue to report widespread or regional flu activity. Hospitalization rates this season have been record-breaking, exceeding end-of-season hospitalization rates for 2014-2015, a high severity, H3N2-predominant season. CDC also is reporting an additional 3 flu-related pediatric deaths during week 19, bringing the total number of flu-related pediatric deaths this season to 168. Localized or sporadic flu activity may continue for a number of weeks. CDC recommends prompt treatment with influenza antiviral medications for people who are severely ill and people who are at high risk of serious flu complications who develop flu symptoms. Below is a summary of the key flu indicators for the week ending May 12, 2018 (week 19):

Source and full CDC report:   https:///www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm

[The highlights are mine.  Technophobe]

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 7:28am
https://flunewseurope.org/ DJ-The B-flu most likely came from Europe.

2017/18 season overview 

• Influenza viruses circulated at high levels in the Region between weeks 52/2017 and 12/2018 (based on increased proportions - 40% and above - of sentinel specimens testing positive for influenza viruses). This is longer than in recent seasons and may have contributed to the severity of this season.
  • The majority of influenza viruses detected were type B, representing a high level of circulation of influenza B viruses compared to recent seasons. B/Yamagata lineage viruses have greatly outnumbered those of the B/Victoria lineage.
  • Different patterns of dominant type and A subtypes were observed between the countries of the Region.
  • While low in numbers, characterized A(H3N2) viruses fell mainly in clade 3C.2a (57%) and subclade 3C.2a1 (42%), while 43% of B/Victoria lineage viruses fell in a subclade of clade 1A viruses that are antigenically distinct from the current trivalent vaccine component.
  • The majority of severe cases reported this season were due to influenza virus type B infection and have mostly occurred in persons older than 15 years.
  • Mortality from all causes now appears be have returned to normal expected levels in all 20 participating countries and regions that report to EuroMOMO.
  • Interim results from 5 European studies indicate 25 to 52% vaccine effectiveness against any influenza.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 11:08pm
Quite different here where I live too. Everyone is coming to work, no one is sick, no one calling in to stay home with sick kids. All the schools are open, some of them had closed for several days a few weeks ago because of the flu. Everything seems to be good now.
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 11:31am
Haven't given up on this. My new fiance is down flat with it and they cannot get a positive id on what is hitting schools.

CDC has stopped putting up weekly maps and numbers. The media is so full of ..... about everything unimportant there is literally no coverage on mainstream on this.

It is happening and it is out there. Just like Ebola is hitting Africa and we are overdue for another super spreader.

Medclinician

Published on May 16, 2018
Pasco County, Florida

School Norovirus Outbreak?

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 9:50pm
The new flu vaccine here that has arrived here in New Zealand this month is different to the one Europe and the USA have had. It is designed to protect against 2 A strains and 2 B strains (instead of one B strain). It's had AH3N2 added to it, which is the Aussie flu that hit the Southern Hemisphere so badly last winter. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic