Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Australian Toddler Dies of Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Toddler Dies of Flu
    Posted: July 13 2018 at 7:47am

Child dies after contracting the flu, another 18 hospitalised at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead

A CHILD has died and another 18 have been admitted to hospital with the flu. It is the first death in a child this year from influenza A.

A CHILD has died and another 18 have been admitted to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead for the flu.

It is the first death this year from influenza A, an acute respiratory illness caused by a virus.

The child was under the age of five and was unvaccinated. Health authorities are respecting the family’s privacy and will not be releasing any further details surrounding the death.

Remaining hospitalisations at the western Sydney hospital ranged in age from one month to seven-year-old.

The devastating news has NSW Health again urging parents to vaccinate their children.

Chief health officer Kerry Chant said 15 of the children were eligible for the free flu vaccine, which is given in two doses for first-time flu vaccinations.

“We know that 15 of the children were eligible for the free flu vaccine but only two of them had been fully vaccinated against flu,” Dr Chant said.

lmost all of the 256 confirmed flu cases last week, contracted influenza A, which caused the 2009 pandemic where more than 650 people died from complications associated with the flu.

And, 74 of those 256 cases were from the Western Sydney Local Health District, the highest across the entire state by 36.

After last year’s 103,000 reported influenza cases, the virus hit its peak in August with 48,600 reported illnesses across all strains.

Confirmed cases are people that present at medical centres or hospitals, and represent only a portion of illness in the community. Experts believe the flu season has started later than usual this year.

The State Government this year kicked off its free flu jab for under-fives and has been pushing it with a statewide campaign since January to avoid the high numbers this year.

It’s worked with only 5052 reported cases statewide this year to date.

The government is spending $22.75 million on programs to assist with flue prevention this season including $3.5 million for free flu shots for children up to five years and a $1.75 million prevention campaign.

There are three types of influenza virus — A, B and C — A is more serious than the others and is the only type known to cause widespread outbreaks.

The virus is always changing with a new strain coming out each winter. People that contract influenza usually get better within a week by resting, taking mild pain killers, drinking plenty of fluid, eating light foods, but in some cases, the flu can be severe and lead to serious complications like pneumonia.

Those more susceptible include young children, the elderly, pregnant women, indigenous people and those with chronic health problems.

Dr Chant said the death was a timely reminder to parents who have not yet vaccinated their children.

“Influenza can be life-threatening and it’s not too late to vaccinate,” she said.

“Flu case numbers across the state are starting to rise and influenza A, which mostly strikes children and young adults, is the key strain circulating in the community.”

Dr Chant said there were plenty of supplies for under-fives to be vaccinate

“Just call ahead to your GP to check they have it in stock or give them time to order more vaccines,” she said.

The flu vaccine is also free for those who are pregnant, aboriginal, aged 65 years or more, or have medical conditions such as severe asthma, diabetes and heart problems.

“Vaccination is the best protection against flu but you can also help prevent it spreading by coughing and sneezing into your elbow, cleaning your hands regularly and staying home when sick.”

Originally published as Child dies after contracting the flu

Source:   http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/kids/child-dies-after-contracting-the-flu-another-18-hospitalised-at-the-childrens-hospital-at-westmead/news-story/36a807b893da11c327025f976ff4f642

Tragically, people die from the flu every year.  I posted this for two reasons:  1, there appears to be a cluster - with 18 hospitalised,  2, because there also appears to be a large disparity (this time) between the effects on the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 5:03am

Flu shot warning after NSW child dies

PARENTS have been urged to vaccinate their children after a little girl died in NSW from a terrible strain of the flu.

AAPJuly 14, 20189:15am

AUTHORITIES are urging parents to take up the offer of a free flu shot for their kids after a little girl died in NSW from the same strain of influenza which caused the 2009 pandemic.

The child, aged under five, was not vaccinated and among 19 admitted to Sydney Children’s Hospital at Westmead between April 3 and July 8 with the flu.

Only two of those were fully vaccinated, NSW Health said.

The child has been identified as Sienna Rose Pereira, 2, of Sydney, who became unwell earlier this month and her mother initially took her to a GP before she was rushed the hospital when her condition deteriorated.

She died 24 hours later last Sunday when her life support was withdrawn, according to a statement on a fundraising website ­established to support her grieving family.

Sienna had developed a high fever and swelling developed around her brain while she was being treated in hospital, the statement said.

It was the first child death of the 2018 flu season, caused by influenza A — which was at the centre of the 2009 pandemic.

The government agency says it’s been a slow start to the flu season in NSW, with 256 cases confirmed in the week ending July 8, compared with 6449 cases in the equivalent week in 2017.

Almost all of the 256 cases had contracted influenza A, the key strain circulating in NSW and mostly striking children and young adults.

NSW Health Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said there were “plentiful” supplies available of the free flu jab for under-five-year-olds.

“This is an important ­reminder to parents who have not yet vaccinated their children that influenza can be life-threatening and it’s not too late to vaccinate,” NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said yesterday.

Source, video and heartbreakingly beautiful photos of deceased toddler:   https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/flu-shot-warning-after-nsw-child-dies/news-story/687860bbf38866851e3a72d7bf8f5fbc

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 3:00pm
think i have sucumbed,

as has daughter and granddaughter,(not sure what they have as yet ) 

started with headache on Thursday,( no sore throat/stiff neck as Kiwimom discribed ,Yet !!! )

Friday morning felt like i had hangover ,

then general leathergy ,aches ,mild runny nose, 

not feeling too bad ,

might be a cold ,

just keeping warm (it's our winter) and taking it easy...

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 3:27pm
Take some vitamin D, put your feet up, drink lots (water!) and get well soon.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 3:31pm
Carbon keep hydrated, hope you and your family get well soon.

Techno, I am so surprised that all parents do not get their children flu shots!! I know when my 25 year old was 7 his docs would not give him a flu shot they said only ill or compromised children should get a flu shot. So when I went to the local grocery store to get a shot I took my son too. They gave him a shot no questions. That year several children died in the U.S. I have made sure he gets his shot every year. Yes some years they miss the mark and people still get sick but I would rather take my chances with the shot than without.

Your hemisphere is in my thoughts and prayers that people stay well. It is so crazy for me to think it is winter there when it is 95 degrees here! I lived in Florida and when it was warm for Christmas it was strange but that is what is normal for you. Stay well all!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 3:39pm
christmas here is about 30c ,

our hottest time is Febuary 40c+

from november to may the temp never dropped below 25c+

so its cold for us anything below 10c lol

at the moment it 630am 7c i got a tee shirt ,jumper,and hoody on +track pants Cool

our top today is 17c forecast
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 4:49pm
I am on the same page as you, FluMom.

Actualy there is a minute risk from the shot itself.  Last year, over here, I believe one person even died from it.  But to avoid it is to fundamentally misunderstand the statistics. 1 dead from the shot over several decades versus thousands dead from the flu itself each year.  Not getting it is like running away from the pet baby hampster into the jaws of a large hungry pride of lions, hanging around the crocodile infested waterhole.  Did I mention the quicksand or minefield en route?

Get well soon Carbon.  FluMom's advice is as sound as a rock!  Hydration is THE most important thing to limit the symptoms.  Rest, vitamins, minerals and OTC meds all help a bit, but water actually stops some of the cytokine damage.  That leads to reduced, symptoms, duration and overall misery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic