Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Donald Trump backs Vladimir Putin,not FBI....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donald Trump backs Vladimir Putin,not FBI....
    Posted: July 16 2018 at 2:59pm

Donald Trump backs Vladimir Putin, not US intelligence, on election meddling at Helsinki summit

Updated 30 minutes ago

< ="jw-icon jw-nextup- jw-" aria-label="Next Up " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; font-size: 13px; font-family: jw-icons; color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0.6; : none; line-height: 1em; list-style: none; text-align: left; vertical-align: line; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; direction: ltr; font-stretch: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0; -sizing: inherit; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; opacity: 0; : ; right: 5px; top: 6px; transition: color 0.15s ease, opacity 0.15s ease, visibility 0.15s ease; visibility: ;">
VIDEO: Donald Trump says he saw no reason not to trust Vladimir Putin (Photo: AP/Alexander Zemlianichenko) (ABC News)

Standing side-by-side with Vladimir Putin, United States President Donald Trump has refused to blame the Russian leader for meddling in the 2016 elections, casting doubt on the findings of his own intelligence agencies and sparking a storm of criticism at home.

Key points:

• Donald Trump's performance denounced as "treasonous" and a "tragic mistake"
  • Vladimir Putin says allegations of election interference "complete nonsense"
  • US President says Putin is a "competitor" rather than adversary

On a day when he faced pressure from critics, allied countries and even his own staff to take a tough line, Mr Trump said not a single critical word about Moscow on any of the issues that have brought relations between the two powers to the lowest ebb since the Cold War.

Instead, he denounced the "stupidity" of his own country's policy, especially the decision to investigate election interference following the findings of US intelligence agencies.

A prosecutor announced an indictment three days ago of Russian spies for hacking into Democratic Party networks.

Mr Trump's performance at a joint media conference in Helsinki stirred a wave of condemnation in the United States, where the White House has struggled for months to dispel a suggestion that Mr Trump was unwilling to stand up to Mr Putin.

< ="jw-icon jw-nextup- jw-" aria-label="Next Up " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; word-wrap: break-word; font-size: 13px; font-family: jw-icons; color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0.6; : none; line-height: 1em; list-style: none; text-align: left; vertical-align: line; border-width: initial; border-style: none; border-color: initial; direction: ltr; font-stretch: inherit; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba255, 255, 255, 0; -sizing: inherit; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; opacity: 0; : ; right: 5px; top: 6px; transition: color 0.15s ease, opacity 0.15s ease, visibility 0.15s ease; visibility: ;">
VIDEO: Vladimir Putin insists his country has no compromising material on Donald Trump (Photo: AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)(ABC News)

His performance was denounced as "treasonous" by a former CIA chief and US senator John McCain called the meeting with Mr Putin a "tragic mistake".

I never thought I would see the day when our American President would stand on the stage with the Russian President and place blame on the United States for Russian aggression. This is shameful.

Asked if he believed US intelligence agencies, which concluded that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to help him defeat Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, Mr Trump said he was not convinced.

"I don't see any reason why it would be [Russia]," Mr Trump said.

As I said today and many times before, “I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people.” However, I also recognize that in order to build a brighter future, we cannot exclusively focus on the past – as the world’s two largest nuclear powers, we must get along! #HELSINKI2018

"President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today."

In one response, the Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, a Trump nominee approved by Congress, said in a statement:

"We have been clear in our assessments of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy, and we will continue to provide unvarnished and objective intelligence in support of our national security."

Hours after the Helsinki summit, Mr Trump tweeted, "I have GREAT confidence in MY intelligence people."

The US has been 'foolish': Trump

VIDEO: Putin says he wanted Trump to win the election (Photo: AP/Pablo Martinez Monsivais) (ABC News)

Before the summit even began, Mr Trump blamed his own country for the deterioration in relations.

"Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of US foolishness and stupidity and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!" he said on Twitter.

The Russian Foreign Ministry tweeted back: "We agree".

At the news conference, Mr Trump was invited by reporters to offer any criticism of Russia but he repeatedly declined.

Asked if Russia was at all to blame for the poor ties, he said: "I hold both countries responsible. I think the US has been foolish. We've all been foolish," he said, before veering into discussion about his election victory.

"I beat Hillary Clinton easily and frankly we beat her … we won that race and it's a shame that there can be even a little bit of a cloud over it," he said.

VIDEO: Putin's 'number one enemy' slams Trump meeting (The World)

US made to look like a 'pushover'

The Republican head of the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Bob Corker, said Mr Trump's comments at the joint media conference made the United States look like a "pushover".

US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, the top congressional Republican, took a more tempered approach but insisted that Mr Trump "must appreciate that Russia is not our ally".

Former CIA chief John Brennan went further, suggesting Mr Trump should be removed from office.

"Donald Trump's press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of 'high crimes & misdemeanors.' It was nothing short of treasonous," he tweeted.

Not only were Trump's comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???"

VIDEO: US-Russia relations at 'low point', says diplomat (The World)

In some of the strongest words yet reflecting the unease of Washington's traditional allies, Germany's Foreign Minister said on Monday that Europe could no longer rely on the United States.

"To maintain our partnership with the USA we must readjust it," Heiko Maas told the Funke newspaper group.

"The first clear consequence can only be that we need to align ourselves even more closely in Europe."

Reuters

Topics: world-politicsdonald-trumpus-electionsfinlandrussian-federationunited-states

First posted about 2 hours ago

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 3:31pm
You couldn't make it up could you?

My eyes/ears are on what McCain has to say.  Being a Republican, he has no partisan hidden agenda.  Also, he is not remaining in politics for personal gain - he is dying and we can only imagine what personal hell he is enduring to remain politically active.  He is persisting out of a love of his country.  A true hero!  Watch this space.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 3:59pm
CNN: Donald Trump sent the worst tweet of his presidency this morning.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 4:01pm
McCain = HERO in all sense of the word........

no heel Spurs here......

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 4:05pm
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Trump sides with Russia against FBI at Helsinki summit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44852812

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 4:07pm
Gee,

How unexpected.........Not......

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 4:36pm
Yeah, I have seen it.

I have to say, I get what Trump was trying to do; I would even go as far as to say it was laudable (Now there is a shock!).  Better relations with Russia would be a good thing.  He is to be praised for trying to achieve this goal.

Sadly, it was like watching a toddler try to behave like an adult .  Putin has a superb poker face, but even he failed to conceal his smug humour.  I felt a bit sorry for Trump.  I am sure he had no idea of the sh1t storm he unleashed.  By the same yardstick, Putin was total master of the situation.  Just like the North Korea talks, far more was conceded than gained, only this time Trump managed to insult/disparage his country's security services at the same time.  It was pitiful.

I get he has no diplomatic nor political training or experience, but for God's sake, why won't he take advice from those who do?  Surely he can't be that stupid!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I get he has no diplomatic nor political training or experience, but for God's sake, why won't he take advice from those who do?  Surely he can't be that stupid!

Good question!  Why does Trump do this?  

I wonder if Putin has threatened Trump's family?  Look at Putin's behavior in murdering journalists with poisons etc.  

That is one way that the Italian Mafia would influence people. 

CRS, DrPH
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 9:38pm
I believe the president is living in his own reality! He's a total narcissist! Why else would one man think he knows better than the FBI, CIA and NSA? Either he's completely insane or Putin has something on him or his family! If the latter it must be completely outrageous because he's betraying his country to cover it up!
Buy more ammo!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 2:08am

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 2:16am
ABC News: Donald Trump returns to US to face bipartisan condemnation after standing by Vladimir Putin and Russia.

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 3:57am
He could have done a lot in that meeting to upset his allies (giving in to Putin on Nato issues was one fear).  At least when he put his foot into his mouth it was more a domestic, ie USA, issue.

Make America Great Again: let Trump emigrate to Putin-land.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 6:52am
There is a lovely  p-take on one of his slogans which appeared on some of the pritest banners here a couple of days ago:

"Make America Hate again!"  Well, at least internal squabbling helps limit that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic