Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Water Purifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Purifying
    Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:33pm
Hi all,

I'm kind of new here, and very much appreciate this site and all your
encouraging and educational contributions. It's harrowing to think that
one os out in the "wilderness" trying to scope out ways to prepare alone.
So many many thanks for being here.

I've been reading on the site about keeping stored water pure over long
periods, and I've yet to figure out what I'm going to do. Has anyone ever
heard of these purification products, or have any opinion as
to their efficacy?

Aerobic 07

Oxy-Stabile

Aqua Mira Chlorine Dioxide

The first two are supposed to "selectively kill" the bad bugs, while leaving
the "beneficial" ones intact, whatever that means. Trying to weed out
hype from fact is difficult for a non-chemist.

I suppose I'll end up using bleach or pool shock, but these other products
say they are more benign. True? False?

Red
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:52pm

Hi Red,

Welcome! I will tell you what I have planed. I have a pool, I will keep it HIGHLY clorinated. I found a counter top unit that will purify 25 gal. a day. The unit is called "Aqua Rain". I found it on EBay....this guy is selling Factory 2nds. The best price I could find on a new on was @ everythingkitchens.com $10.00 more, but free shipping. Same price   

Hope this helps,

Bob

debtrag View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debtrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 7:44pm

I bought a First Needs water purification system 1.8 quarts/min.   It is the only (from what I've read) system that removes virus from the water.  It uses some type of electro magnetic something or other.  It was $79.00 at Gear For Adventure website.  Free shipping over $100.  Extra filter for $40.  Each filter will purify 125 gallons of water.  Quite a bit more expensive but I have a 3 year old and 6 month old, an item like this would never be too expensive to buy for them. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 8:17pm

Hi debtrag, I understand your concern for you children. Reading your post about  the "electro magnetic something or other." I think water treated w/ chlorine, and then purified will be safer, IMHO. Money is not an issue, it is where we are when we see daylight again.

God Bless you and yours,

Bob

DragonRider View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:52pm
Primary for us will be boiling or Chlorine, after that it is on to the camping gear.  Water purifiers are nice and dandy, but you are going to have to treat ALOT of water if it comes to that.  Most pump filter for camping do not have sufficent life for long term/base camp use.

Katadyn makes some great systems for long term use with high amount of gallons that can be produced.  I got one of these.  http://www.rei.com/product/47792759.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPIN G_TOC 

I already have plenty of batteries for my flashlights/weaponlights and camera gear.

You need to think of ease of use and how much work it will be when it is time to cook.  Thinking that if you have fuel, boiling may be the easiest, if not, bleach will be for cost per gallon in time, work, and annoyance.

In another thread somebody mentioned the steripen, great device for traveling, but producing a gallon of water 1 glass at a time will eat up the batteries in it real quick.
John
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 1:30am
Just anote of scientific facts re:water purification.

The water that comes out the tap is never completely free of bacteria. The
process they use is called 'disinfection' and is aimed at reducing most of
the bacteria to nearly nil. As you disinfect the bathroom or kitchen it is
the same for water supplies. What is generally left behind is harmless in
the amounts that come from the taps.

Boiling water or chlorination by tablet are both good ways of achieving
the same result as the water utilities company provided the source of the
water is the same. Spring, borehole, etc. If you insist on drinking stagnent
pond water in a field where cattle of sheep graze, be warned you could
end up with some undesirable disease no matter how many of the tablets
you have used.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:15am

People with allergies....like to...iodine!!  BEWARE of water purification pills. Most use iodine as the killer of bad things. There are several other types of ways to take care of problems, boiling and filtration comes to mind first. IMO have the anti allergy pens etc on hand.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 5:33pm
Yes, watch out if you are allergic to iodine, I am allergic to it and decided to go with chlorine or boiling for the water. I checked the tablets for sale in stores and most contain iodine.
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 6:55pm

oh dear! I just got some potable aqua tablets Germicidal

I finally thought I did something right and it's iodine6.68%

How would one know if they are allergic?

Thanks!

I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:43pm
Sweets,

You'd probably know by now, as you have undoubtedly eaten iodized salt at
some point in your life. I suppose there would be enough in that to trigger
an allergic reaction. There's also something about shellfish hoarding iodine,
I think. Are you allergic to clams or oysters?

Nobody heard of those purifiers I mentioned above?

Red
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:49pm
Or if you had a ct scan for ..a lung..and they used iodine and you broke out in hives. That's how I found out... Salt/seafood doesn't affect me... the injected stuff......does. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 11:58pm
Check out Nitro-pak.com  They have a lot of information on purifying and storing water.  They sell purifier and barrels.  Check out survival-acres for the barrels, though...I think the prices were much better.  Nitropak has much better information about the ins and outs of storing water, though.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:39am
There's lots of Iodine in potatoes I believe. Or is it starch and Iodine from
the air reacts with it turning the potato black?
RicheeRich View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicheeRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 3:12am
I also have the First Needs filter. I plan on using it for stage 2 purification. For stage 1, regular coffee filters work well. This will extend the life of the $40.00 cartridges. Stage 3 will be either water purification tablets, or a dash of chlorine. The bleach is cheaper, and should be in your preps for this event anyway.
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:20am

Good preps magazine is "Backwoods Home". They took over when "American Survival Guide" bit it a few years back. Has a TON of useful informaion. I bought a "big berkey" water unit via the magazine. Heavy duty and effecient.

Recommend you find a copy of "Backwoods Home"

TTFN

Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:06am
Does anyone know if it's necessary to do anything special to regular tap water that will be stored for several months (but, let''s say less than a year)?  I read somewhere that if you put the water in 2 litre coke bottles and fill all the way to the top, they'll stay fresh for a long time. I'm going to do that, but I also have collapsable water bladders that hold 50 gals. each for longer-term storage and I'm wondering if I should be putting something (bleach maybe?) in with this "bagged" water.  Thx.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Bannor Bannor wrote:

Check out Nitro-pak.com  They have a lot of
information on purifying and storing water.  They sell purifier and
barrels.  Check out survival-acres for the barrels, though...I think the
prices were much better.  Nitropak has much better information about the
ins and outs of storing water, though.

Bannor,

Have bought several items from Nitro-Pak. Their prices are good and
they seem to be very knowledgeable.

I bought my barrels from a manufacturer. Figured why not go to the
source? The company name is Basco. Their prices were good, and the
service was top notch. The link to the barrels I bought is:

http://www.bascousa.com/store/item.aspx?
DEPARTMENT_ID=73&ITEM_ID=554

(should all be on one line, of course)

I bought the "natural" color so I could easily see how much is left in a
barrel. Shipping on those puppies was enormous, but fast by UPS
ground.

Also, for filtration, people might check out these guys:

http://www.pwgazette.com/gravity.htm

Their product seems absurdly easy to use. I'm going to get at least one.

Cheers,

Red
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:38pm

Most of the bleach you can get in supermarkets in the UK has crap in it - surfactants.  Are they poisonous?

How strong does the bleach need to be to sterilise water.  How much of what % to the litre?  How long does it take for the chlorine to evaporate before you can drink the water?

Annie4 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:17pm

Water is my biggest concern.  You can only live a few days without it and it is almost impossible to buy enough bottled water!!!  You should not store well water (which is what we have) because bad things grow in it.  We finally purchased an Aquarain filter.  It has 4 filters that filter out just about everything.  It looks like one of those large metal coffee dispensers.  We actually put it together and tried it...which I would suggest.  My plan is to store water from our well and treat it with bleach before putting it in the filter.  The filter removes the bleach and other stuff.  If anyone has any suggestions....feel free to suggest!  I've purchased 5 gallon containers for storage and I actually ran an experiment with ziploc bags.  I filled them with water and left them in our bathtub.  The didn't start leaking for 2 weeks.  I figure I could do that and use that supply first. 

gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:31pm
All,

I "believe" I did my homework and found the newer of the Berkey filtering units ( the ***Black Berkeys, not the Stresyl ceramic candles) cover most everything as far as purifying the water. Berkey is a long known name in the biz.

Rather than ordering a whole "Big Berkey Unit", I just got a pair of their new flters. Before "pushing the button" I called and talked to the company rep and he confirmed that I was not the first to just by the filters and "do it yourself".

Needless to say the filters arrived and they are ideal for constructing a purifier with 2 - five gallon (food grade) buckets, with lids. I even popped for a water tap, to make things easier.

2 holes to drill and a couple of nuts to tighten. Filters were $40 apiece. Only one filter is really needed per bucket, but if increased flow is necessary, drill another hole and insert filter #2.

Will post a report on flow rates, etc. if any are interested.

Gilmore
Have a steri-pen as a back-up

***Black Berkey® Purifier Elements are the world's most powerful gravity filtering solution, certified to eliminate pathogenic bacteria to the EPA's "7 Log" purification standard of 99.99999% reduction. Elements are easily cleanable with a Scotch Brite® pad under running water, and each element will purify up to 3000 gallons of water (6000 gallons per set of two.) The Black Berkey® filter formulation has been tested by State & EPA accredited laboratories to exceed EPA & ANSI/NSF (Std. 53) protocol. Click to see test results from the University of Arizona, Spectrum Labs and the LSU Department of Toxicology and Environmental Science.

In addition to their phenomenal reduction of pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites, the powerful Black Berkey® purification elements also remove or reduce harmful or unwanted chemicals such as herbicides and pesticides, VOCs, detergents, organic solvents, trihalomethanes, cloudiness, silt, sediment, nitrates, nitrites, heavy metals, foul tastes and odors. Yet they leave in the water the healthful and beneficial minerals your body needs.
FROM: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/be...le_purifier.asp (NEAR BOTTOM OF PAGE) 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 3:34am
Beth:

I think the recommended treatment is:
Clorox (regular - no surfactants, perfumes, etc.) 8 drops/gallon for water that starts out relatively clean. More for cloudy water. After standing closed up for a while, it should smell a little like chlorine.    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 5:13am
gilmor ... can you explain in a little more detail how you made your own purifier?  I think I have the idea, but not sure how you hold the filters into place in the bucket lids.  And how do you insert the water tap on the lower bucket w/out leaks? -k
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:25am

My Katadyn drip filter set up is basically a bucket with three ceramic/charcoal filters and a lid nested on top of another bucket that has a dispenser spout. The threaded filter ends are inserted into and through the holes in the bottom of the top bucket. They are held in place with a plastic nuts and washers tightened from underneath. This is nested onto the bottom collector bucket which has a dispenser spout.

You fill the top bucket with water up to, but not over, the top of the filters and replace lid. The water passes through the outside of the filters to the center hollow core and filtered water is collected in the bottom bucket.

Let me try this:

========  lid

|    filters   |

|      |  |     |  top bucket
|   > |  | <  |
|___ |  |___|
|       V      |
|    water   | bottom bucket
|               |
|________ |=  spout

Man, that's tedious!

Hopefully you get the idea. The filter$ are the mo$t expen$ive element$ of the $et up. You're only paying a few $$ for the containers/lid.

My filters are good for 33,000 gallons for six months. More filters only give you a higher flow rate. If I'm in no hurry I can use a single filter, two holes plugged, and triple my total volume.

OK, I'm now finished editing. Whew!

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:58am
WOW!! I'm impressed w/ the graphics!  Nicely done!  Can't believe you went to so much trouble!! (although, on this site ... seems par for the course!Wink)    Thanks so much! -k

I'll buy you a drink in the Tiki Room!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:17am
Redcloud, I have hear of Oxy-stabil. It's supposed to make water safe for up to 7 years.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:23am
xx
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:47am
I don't know how anything could be safer than a chlorine based bleach. You can overdose as much as you like because the chlorine is so unstable it simply gases off and evaporates. You can check it by smell.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:48am
OKe ...: Let me see if I'm getting this right ......
              -you get (2) buckets & your filters -- the (2) buckets just fit one on top of the other??? 
              -anchor the 2 bucket together w/ plastic nuts & washers - So, I'm assuming the bottom bucket has it's lid on w/ a large hole so the top bucket won't slip into the bottom bucket ... and that's your point to anchor.  The water drips out through the filter into the bottom bucket.             
              -Top bucket: drill hole in the bottom, so your filter fits in snug
                   (how do you anchor the filter, so that it doesn't eventually slip through?) Your diagram looks like there are multiple filters on top of each other???
    Sorry .... Just trying to understand how this is put together, after the inital awe of seeing your comp. graphic!!!-k

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Scotty Scotty wrote:

I don't know how anything could be safer than a chlorine based bleach. You can overdose as much as you like because the chlorine is so unstable it simply gases off and evaporates. You can check it by smell.
I think, Scotty, that 'cause bleach doesn't have a long shelf life, some are concerned about finding an alternate idea for water purification.   Although ... you reminded me of something I wanted to ask (and probably should under Priority Preps/water ... but I'll take the liberty here .... I purchased a kiddie pool (8' x 18") and plan to use that for a water source.  I'm not sure how I would 'shock' that w/ the hydrochlorite for storing and how often I would have to repeat the process.  I'm also NOT finding the 65% powder that was suggested on the water thread ... I'm only find 54.6% (or close to that). Any ideas? ThankU --k
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Survivor Survivor wrote:

2ifbyC - Brilliant!

Not really. gilmore is the one that took the leap to build one.

One question if I may, how do you plug the other two filters?

You only install one filter and plug the other two holes in the bottom of the top bucket. My kit only had one plug so I purchased another at Ace Hardware. The filters have ~1/2" threaded nipples. The bucket filter nipple holes are 1/2". You can purchase hard rubber or non-porous material tapered plugs at your local hardware store ( HD, Ace, etc.).

My filters are 2" in diameter and stand 9 1/4" tall.

Samantha   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:08am
xx
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:53am
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

OKe ...: Let me see if I'm getting this right ......
              -you get (2) buckets & your filters -- the (2) buckets just fit one on top of the other???

On my commercial set up the top bucket has an outside bulge ring to prevent it from slipping into the bottom bucket. These are not your common 5 gal paint/food buckets, although I'm sure one could use them in this application.

-anchor the 2 bucket together w/ plastic nuts & washers - So, I'm assuming the bottom bucket has it's lid on w/ a large hole so the top bucket won't slip into the bottom bucket ... and that's your point to anchor.  The water drips out through the filter into the bottom bucket. 

See below. There is nothing to secure the buckets together. I am limited by keyboard characters and could not show that in the overall diagram. The top bucket merely rests within the bottom bucket. No securing necessary.

-Top bucket: drill hole in the bottom, so your filter fits in snug
          (how do you anchor the filter, so that it doesn't eventually slip through?) Your diagram looks like there are multiple filters on top of each other???

The filter is mounted horizonally with the threaded 1/2" nipple down through the bottom of the top bucket. The nut and washer is threaded on underneath the bottom of the that bucket. Again I'm limited to characters.
         |        |      |        |
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
         |        |      |        |  filter
         |____|      |____|
________  |      | ________  bottom of top bucket w/ 1/2" hole
                  |      |
                  |___|  threaded nipple
                ______
               |______|  plastic nut with washer

Sorry .... Just trying to understand how this is put together, after the inital awe of seeing your comp. graphic!!!-k

Well I'm sorry for not clarifying the original graphic! Does this help?

NOTE: Acquire your filters prior to any drilling. Your filters may not have the same dimensions as mine.

Gravitation View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 10:03am
how do you use bleach scotty. do you submerge the whole bottle in it to decontaminate it?
Inscriptions and Birddroppings are the only two things in Egypt that give any indication of life - Flaubert
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

Redcloud, I have heard of Oxy-stabil. It's supposed to make water safe for up to 7 years.

Femvet,

I saw that product too. I just have more trust in bleach, for some reason, and plan to use it in the 300 gal. tanks I'm putting outside to catch rain water off the roof. I want that virus DEAD, and will only use the bleached rain water for incidentals like toilet flushing, etc.

Drinking water comes out of the well, and I have a couple of different ways of getting it out (generator and well bucket). The storage drums are for the first few months, until a routine can be established from which to work on more sustainable practises.

Red

Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 10:45am
I have several different approaches to water. Tap, of course, as long as all is well. Bottled for short-term interruptions of the municipal supply. Filled plastic garbage cans (depsite not being "food grade") for longer term outages, and then bleach and a ceramic filter for bad times when all other supplies have been exhausted and I am filtering rain and creek water. One thing I want to get is the "pool shock" but I haven't been able to find a discussion of the sodium based product and the calcium product...whatever I have found locally is the "wrong" one (can't remember which) but I need to know if there's a difference.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 10:54am
According to SophiaZoe, wherever she is, you want the Calcium version of pool shock. Got mine at a spa place here in town.

She put a thread in here somewhere with a formula for mixing a stock solution and then a working solution. Will see if I can find it for you.

Red
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 12:49pm
Look Under Priority Preparations/water ... there's a pretty big thread there regarding various water purifications and the pool shock is discussed.-k
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Never2late Never2late wrote:

One thing I want to get is the "pool shock" but I haven't been able to find a discussion of the sodium based product and the calcium product...whatever I have found locally is the "wrong" one (can't remember which) but I need to know if there's a difference.

Found that thread. Here is the main info on pool shock:

"Hey folks,

Regarding making water drinkable using dry calcium hypochlorite (aka swimming pool shock) I went back and re-read the formula posted on page 1 of this thread. It is pretty sketchy, so the following from the EPA needs to be added to it -

"Granular Calcium Hypochlorite. Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 oz.) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the water as described below.

The treated water should be mixed thoroughly and allowed to stand, preferably covered, for 30 minutes. The water should have a slight chlorine odor; if not, repeat the dosage and allow the water to stand for an additional 15 minutes. If the treated water has too strong a chlorine taste, it can be made more pleasing by allowing the water to stand exposed to the air for a few hours or by pouring it from one clean container to another several times. "

Ok, a lot of people don't have a 12.5 gallon container laying around, so let's break it down. To make two gallons of the bleach, one heaping teaspoon of the calcium hypochlorite goes into 2 gallons of water. To make drinkable water, 2.5 tablespoons of the bleach goes into 1 gallon of water. Let stand covered 30 minutes, aerate to taste."
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:33pm
A cheap alternative to all of thias is the slow sand filter.  It's cheap, and has worked for me in Haiti.  Take a 55 gallan drum, poke a hole in the bottom edge of the barrel, put in 3 inches of coarse gravel, five inches of charcoal, and fill to within four inches of the top with clean sand.  Punch holes in the lid and set on top.  Put the whole contraption on cement blocks before filling, so you can fit a jug under the bottom hole.

As you pour water to be filtered onto the top, it flows through the holes and trickles through the sand and charcoal.  The sand will build up a bio-film that removes bacteria and pathogens, and the charcoal removes inorganic impurities.   It's third-world, but it works great.  After a year, dump out the sand and charcoal, and make a new one.
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 3:26pm
Golf clap for 2ifbyC for the detailed graphics. . .

Heres's the written word version (within a few days, I'll post pictures somewhere)

2 buckets, one will sit atop the other. . .

A.K.A. (also known as)  Lower Bucket and Upper Bucket

The Lower  bucket has a lid on it.

That lid has a hole in it.

The hole in the lid of the Lower bucket MUST match up with the hole in the bottom of the Upper bucket. 

This is because the the Upper bucket will have the filter in it and the filter (stem) is going to protrude (stick thru) the bottom of the Upper bucket and into the (lid) of Lower bucket.

The Upper buckets hole has been drilled to match the one in the lid of the Lower bucket.

Insert the filter into the bottom of the Upper bucket.

Tighten the filter with the onto the bottom of the Upper bucket with the wing nut like device that is on "stem" of the filter.

This "stem" is what the purified water will drip thru.

Place (gently) the Upper bucket onto of the lower bucket, making sure the stem fits into the lid of the lower bucket.

Fill the Upper bucket with water and gravity does the rest

CONFUSED ENOUGH????

Here is a picture of the Black berkey Filter: http://tinyurl.com/ro6gy

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 4:40pm
gilmore: It's just like the Brita water filter bucket for the fridge!

carpenter: this sounds like the grotto that is about a mile from us!  There is always water pouring out of that like a fountian pump!  I'll be that water would have the same end result and then I just have to boil it, right? -k
gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

gilmore: It's just like the Brita water filter bucket for the fridge!

Yes, exactly, but it's a bit more on the "industrial" side.

The filter is from Berkey, which has been doing water purification since the early 1800's. This new filter (Black Berkey) is a bit better than the last model, which is still being sold. I like the newer one which is good for 3000 gallons.

No electricity, just gravity. No chlorine or iodine. I'm going to run a couple of  "tests" to see how fast it will go.

Gilmore
P.S. I have NO financial ties to Berkey or ANY other company / product I EVER post about.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:40pm
I have read that all of the water stabilizers are hype, and you are better off just using bleach.  The hot tub swimming pool dry chlorine product last a very long time and may be used to make regular stregnth bleach.  When storing tap water, treat with bleach, fill container to the top and seal.  Last a minimum of 6 months, and I have drank water stored for 3 years with no bad effects.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:48pm
After running the water through the Home-made Bucket filter, do we still need to boil or add the chlorine at all? Even for the virus that could possibly be in the ground water supply?-k
gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by DISPENSER 4 HIR DISPENSER 4 HIR wrote:

I have read that all of the water stabilizers are hype, and you are better off just using bleach.  The hot tub swimming pool dry chlorine product last a very long time and may be used to make regular stregnth bleach.  When storing tap water, treat with bleach, fill container to the top and seal.  Last a minimum of 6 months, and I have drank water stored for 3 years with no bad effects.

The below thoughts are stolen from Patton Turner via A.T. Hagan's site   http://tinyurl.com/lhx22

Water can only be realistically stored for short-term emergencies, after that some emergency supply of water needs to be developed.

Chlorine:   Chlorine is familiar to most Americans as it is used to treat virtually all municipal water systems in the United States. For a long time chlorine, in the form of Halazone tablets, was used to purify small batches of water for campers and military troops. Later questions emerged about the effectiveness of Halazone, and in 1989, Abbot labs pulled it off the market. If Halazone tablets are encountered outside the US, the nominal shelf life is 6 months, and the dosage is 2 tabs per liter. Until recently, there was no chlorine product designed for wilderness/survival use available in the US.

Chlorine has a number of problems when used for field treatment of water. When chlorine reacts with organic material, it attaches itself to nitrogen containing compounds (ammonium ions and amino acids), leaving less free chlorine to continue disinfection. Carcinogenic trihalomethanes are also produced, though this is only a problem with long-term exposure. Trihalomethanes can also be filtered out with a charcoal filter, though it is more efficient to use the same filter to remove organics before the water is chlorinated. Unless free chlorine is measured, disinfection can not be guaranteed with moderate doses of chlorine. One solution is superchlorination, the addition of far more chlorine than is needed. This must again be filtered through activated charcoal to remove the large amounts of chlorine, or hydrogen peroxide can be added to drive the chlorine off. Either way there is no residual chlorine left to prevent recontamination. This isn't a problem if the water is to be used at once.

Chlorine is sensitive to both the pH and temperature of the treated water. Temperature slows the reaction for any chemical treatment, but chlorine treatment is particularly susceptible to variations in the pH as at lower pHs, hypochlorous acid is formed, while at higher pHs, it will tend to dissociate into hydrogen and chlorite ions, which are less effective as a disinfectant. As a result, chlorine effectiveness drops off when the pH is greater than 8.

Chlorine, like iodine, will not kill Cryptosporidia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic