Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

March Prepping 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March Prepping 2019
    Posted: March 27 2019 at 6:19pm
Flumom, herbs need sun and no shade, and they generally need free draining soil. I garden on heavy clay so have my herbs in a raised bed. I'm about to put a new one nearer the back door, and I want to do this cheaply so am using car tyres, stacked up in a layered effect and filled with gritty soil. I envision a bank of overlapping tyres, about 3 high, and in the semi circles of the tyres I will plant herbs and a few extra strawberries.

I do have a lot of herbs already in and established and find these are good year after year so long as I cut them back every autumn / early winter. Basil doesn't overwinter here. My mint is in two places, one smaller clump is in a giant plastic flowerpot with the base cut out and then it's been buried up to the neck of the pot in the border (this will stop it spreading via horizonal root runners) and I have a much larger clump planted in half a vast plastic drum that I cut in half lengthways and drilled lots of drainage holes in. I filled the bottom 4 inches with rocks and then soil on top.

The problem with mint is it spreads and takes over. Also be aware that the different flavoured mints, if planted together, will all end up as peppermint. So if you want to plant them, do the sunken bottomless pot for each variety and then you can plant them next to each other.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 7:41pm
Flumom- Try to put your herb garden on the South side of your house! This gives them lots of sun and protects them from the north wind! Like the old song, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme are a good starting point and you can add Basil, Chives, Dill and Mint! All of these are hardy plants and a few of each should give you a years worth of herbs! Watch out for Mint it tends to be invasive and if you don't stay on top of it, it will take over! We both love to cook and fresh herbs take most meals up a notch or two! Good luck and let us know how it works out!
Buy more ammo!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 1:23pm
Why not intersperse those thorns with some beautiful flowers? Atropa belladonna (tall green and stately) and Acconitum napellus (tall spikes of beep blue) both look lovely.

Both produce toxins that seep through the skin, even more so if the skin is broken by thorns. They will not kill intruders (unless they are stupid enough to eat them) but someone hallucinating that they are flying [literally] is quite easy to deal with.

In medieval times, they were used to produce the famous witches' flying ointment. The poor, deluded ladies never got a broomstick off of the ground, but they believed they did.

The belladonna is a handy first line treatment of bradycardia too and many types of poisioning (like nerve gas). You can grow its own antidote with it if you like - foxgloves - Digitalis purpurea - that treats congestive heart failure - and belladonna is the antidote for them - neat! The purple flower spikes look great with the acconitum as well. Common household borax is the closest thing to an antidote for the aconite - although poisioning is difficult to achieve, as it is only mildly poisonus to most of us.

The belladonna is not too bad (unless you eat the berries), but the aconitum can produce deadly reactions in an unlucky, succeptable few. So wear gloves when planting.

In with the thorns they double the barrier. Thieves, mauraders and trespassers show up pretty quickly. They look beautiful too - the flowers that is, not the trespassers.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2019 at 12:20pm
Penham, plants something prickly around your boundary. That'll keep people out. Holly is good but flammable. Hawthorn is excellent but deciduous. A mixed hedge of evergreen and deciduous would be good.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 8:12pm
Thanks I will try them to see if they are still good. Will inform when I do this.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 9:46pm
On the powdered eggs and milk? Can you try them out to see if they are still good? I actually use my powdered eggs for cooking and baking in recipes and just get more and replace them to have some on hand, just in case. I think the powdered milk goes rancid, but I have never had anything go wrong with the eggs.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 9:44pm
We are going to plant the food items, but I also wanted to plant some sage, because we burn it for cleansing purposes (normally I go to the Wildflife Refuge and pick it), and can also cook with it and I also want to plant some lavender. There is a lavender farm near where I live and they make lavender tea, bread, cookies, pretty much anything you can think of with lavender in it. The other thing is we are planting Canna's all around the chain link fence for privacy. We used to have a lot of trees and bushes, but we had to cut a lot down, so our fruit trees could get sunlight and they were doing damage to the fence and house. I had visions of putting up a nice privacy fence and we went in halfs with the neighbor down one side to replace the existing privacy fence and just one side was $1200. We have 5 lots, in a small town and it would take at least 4-1/2 more of that distance of fence and I just don't want to spend $5000 on a fence.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 3:40pm
I am from Missouri Penham so I know what getting ready for Tornados means!!! I am going to do my garden again this year just thinking about what to plant.

I want to do a big herb area any suggestions of what you guys do.

I am not doing any construction this year so I am going to clean out my basement. I have some dry eggs purchased in 2007 and dry milk purchased in 2008...do I throw out or keep them? My basement never gets above 72 in the summer and stays aroung 55 -60 in the winter.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2019 at 12:07pm
I ordered a Farmer's Almanac, I have always thought about getting one and never have. Supposed to arrive Monday.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 9:02pm
I need to get our tornado shelter ready, we have bags of cement stored in there right now.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 11:12pm
we're getting ready to plant potatoes but it's to wet to till so we're going to try planting in straw bales this year! Unlike last year it's been cold enough our fruit trees still haven't bloomed so unless we get a very late freeze we should get fruit this year! Cleaning out the starter plant greenhouse tomorrow! Prepping for Tornado season!   
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 1:18pm
What's everyone working on this month? We are starting to look at gardening stuff. Our plum trees are already starting to bud, it's a little early for that. We are going to plant broccoli, onions, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, jalapenos, strawberries and I'm not sure what else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic