Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

June Prepping 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: June Prepping 2019
    Posted: June 05 2019 at 6:22pm
Is everyone working on their garden? We have tomato, squash, spinach, lettuce, onions and strawberries. We have 2 plum trees and we got a new peach tree this year and it has about 10 fruit on it, which I am surprised it even got fruit so soon. I cleaned out my freezer this past week and will be restocking with fresh items.
What is everyone else working on?
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 12:14am
I was just out watering my garden, leaving for a couple of days just as a heat wave hits, so I trust the ground is wet enough until I get back.

Tomato plants are coming on (grown from seeds from someoneelse's plants so I don't know what heirloom variety). Potatoes and onions are doing well, other plants are too early to say.

I know I will not be able to live from my garden if there is a crash in transportation here, but it gets me out in the fresh air and amongst the mosquitoes (bad this year).
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2019 at 9:20pm
The mosquitoes are horrible here in Oklahoma also, we have had so much rain. We have enough spinach and lettuce for salads about 3-4 times a week for 3 people. Our tomato aren't ripe yet, but pretty soon we will be having fried green tomato. Hopefully, some ripe tomato in the near future, we only have 4 plants, but each one has about 7-8 tomato on already with a lot of flowers still coming. We have loads of squash, some should be ready to eat this weekend.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 5:39pm
LOL, Penham just got my tomato plants IN the ground! We had snow 3 weeks ago. I don't grow too many vegies now but zucchini squash, spaghetti squash, oriental peas, and lots of herbs. I won't see much until mid July.

Sorry about all of your flooding, Colorado is waiting because as soon as all that snow begins to melt we will have a problem. Our snow pack is 426% above normal!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 11:37pm
Two days ago we got 7 inches of rain in 4 hours! I've never seen rain like that before! Many of our friends were under water. We're at 2000' and our yard looked like a lake, it just had no where to go!
As far as the orchard, we have apples, pears and cherries this year. No peaches or plums! I love plum jelly/jam so I'm jealous of anyone who has them!
Right now we have four sugar snap peas! I don't mean plants (it's been a strange year) WE might get 2 sugar snap peas each!
Lettuce, tomatoes and peppers very happy! Our garden is pretty rocky so we're trying to grow potatoes in straw bales this year! They're already flowering.
Elder berries blooming like crazy, hopping to make elderberry syrup this year!
Planted a fig tree this spring. Maybe the grand kids will get to eat them!
Ticks and mosquitoes are really bad this year! Never had a hard freeze this year!
Buy more ammo!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

The mosquitoes are horrible here in Oklahoma also, we have had so much rain. We have enough spinach and lettuce for salads about 3-4 times a week for 3 people. Our tomatoes aren't ripe yet, but pretty soon we will be having fried green tomatoes. Hopefully, some ripe tomatoes in the near future, we only have 4 plants, but each one has about 7-8 tomatoes on already with a lot of flowers still coming. We have loads of squash, some should be ready to eat this weekend.

I'm a former proud resident of Tulsa & Broken Arrow, Oklahoma and couldn't believe the news footage of the flooding! I was there for the last go-around (1986), this one seems worse. Hope all gets into balance soon!
CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 3:20am
Don't hold your breath on that one Doc....

This is only the start of extreme weather

Caused by our destruction of this planet....

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2019 at 11:03am
I'm switching apartments next month and won't have a patio or a balcony, so I'm likely going to do an indoor garden.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2019 at 8:04pm
Too bad we are not vegan, we might actually survive if we had to, lol. We are now getting 3-4 squash per day, equaling 1.65-2lbs. I am keeping track of how much we are producing and weighing it. So we are eating it baked everyday so far, it's been enough to feed 3 people with leftovers. Plus we are having salad, that we are growing, every other day, with lettuce, spinach, green onion and tomato. We are getting about 9-10 fruit off the plum tree each day.

My 3 apple trees died, so I want to get more. My initial goal was to have a bunch of fruit trees that all ripen at different times throughout the summer so that I do not have to buy as much fruit since fruit is expensive.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2019 at 4:33pm
Dinner tonight was all vegetables, so you would think it might be healthy, but noooo, it was all deep fried, lol. We had fried squash, fried green tomato, fried pickles and fried potatoes. But it was really good.

We have been eating squash every day, baked squash with parmesan cheese, squash casserole, fried squash. I need to look up more recipes. We are getting 2 to 2-1/2 pounds of squash each day now.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2019 at 2:44pm
Well I am getting rid of dehydrated eggs and milk 10 years old. I guess I need to get freeze dry eggs last 25 years. I no longer have a kid so no milk needed. Rest of my stuff is fine. Cleaning up my basement and garage and having a yard sale. Getting my ducks in a row so when I die my son does not have much to get rid of since he has gone through all this stuff with me.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 11:08pm
The saber rattling over the Straits of Hormuz got me working hard on my annual jams and preserves making. I had been behind this past spring letting things slip (rhubarb and early stawberries), but with a concentrated effort I am back on the sessional track, now waiting for new fruits to come into session.

In a crisis situation these will provide a topping up to any diet. While providing some calories (all that sugar going into making them!) the main value might be emotional well being of tasty supplies to add to things like bland oat meal porridge.

And these fulfill the slogan of Store what you eat, and eat what you store
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2019 at 7:12pm
Well I did some more research and I am keeping the eggs my basement is 60 - 72 degrees all year. 60 in winter 72 in the summer. I just watched a lady on YouTube open 30 year old #10 cans of powder eggs powder potatoes, onions, vacuum packed white wheat berries, rice and pasta. These were all kept in a shed in Texas hot hot hot! All the cans still sealed and vacuum still intact. All the food looked and smelled great. So I am keeping my stuff for at least 30 years!

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2019 at 8:33pm
FluMom, I actually use powdered eggs for baking. The plus side to baking with powdered eggs is you can eat raw cookie dough without the danger of getting salmonella food poisoning, lol.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2019 at 6:33pm
Thanks Penham, sad but I do not bake anymore no one home and I am already too heavy...LOL.    When you are fat you do not make baked goods LOL!
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 10:51am
well with what I see in Australia right now, I am going to prep harder than I have in quite a while. I plan to stock up on all my canned goods, easy, ready to eat meat for protein, some juice plus dummies for vitamins, etc. Happy prepping!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 9:39pm
roni3470 good idea, I agree with you I am going to put more can goods in. I do not keep can goods other than tuna and chicken but I am out of those!!! Soups and chicken and beef stocks. When sick sometimes I just will heat stock up and drink with a sandwich. I just do not keep much canned goods I eat fresh foods. For prepping I have #10 cans of freeze dry but I will not open those.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 8:56am
I have canned chicken, some tuna but not a lot, I am allergic to tuna and my boyfriend doesn't like it, so my daughter is the only one that eats it, she is living at home temporarily, in between regular college and going to graduate school this fall. I also have canned pork, which actually makes pretty good barbeque with a little BBQ sauce added.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 10:04pm
Oooo, canned pork, I have to look for that! Where do you get that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic