Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Aussie Flu 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aussie Flu 2
    Posted: June 27 2019 at 3:26am
this is dreadful

The number of deaths from the flu has spiked 800 per cent higher this year, with 36 fatalities recorded in Health Department figures released on Tuesday.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 2:39am
Where is that graph from, Kilt? It looks terrifying, but without an area of source it is meaningless.

If that is national and Australian*, it is a fairly common spike and may not be statistically significant. If it is local and in the Northern hemisphere, it is very significant and worrying.

*midwinter
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 1:12pm
Western Australia

The other lines show the last flu seasons - this is dreadful - a crisis

https://thewest.com.au/news/public-health/wa-flu-deaths-spike-800-per-cent-in-horror-season-ng-b881240641z
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 1:30pm
REPORTED FLU DEATHS SINCE JANUARY 2019

* NSW - 57

* VIC - 48

* SA - 44

* QLD - 38

* WA - 36

* NT - 4

* ACT - Fewer than 5

* TAS - 1

(Source: State and territory health departments)

There have been more than 220 reported flu-related deaths and more than 100,000 confirmed cases across Australia, with warnings the worst is yet to come.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 7:35pm
Well I had coffee this morning with a friend who is a doctor and she told me that the flu season here in NZ is terrible and it hasn't peaked yet. She said that she had patients coming in to see her with full blown flu who had had the vaccine. The type of flu they are seeing is A H3 N2 and she assumes it's started to mutate which is why the vaccine isn't always effective.

The flu season should peak in August here.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 10:58pm
The figure for Western Australia seem horrible, but they come from a very low basis. For the whole of Australia the flu numbers are up, but not quite the factor of the above graph.

follow link in https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm to find the full report: Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 04 - 03 to 16 June 2019
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 4:14am
Thanks Kilt. That explains a great deal....... -And yes, this does look like it is possibly significant after all, despite my previous comment.

A new mutation on the previous strain also looks more likely. That would reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine. It is unlikely to make the vaccine completely worthless, but it may make it only partially effective.

I only hope the powers that be in the vaccine industry are already on this one.
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 10:45am
Hey all! Do we have any Australians in here or can we reach out to people we know to find out more details? This is concerning to me and I think we need people on the inside to give us updates!
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 3:46pm
Aussie here
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

The figure for Western Australia seem horrible, but they come from a very low basis. For the whole of Australia the flu numbers are up, but not quite the factor of the above graph.

follow link in https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm to find the full report: Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 04 - 03 to 16 June 2019

look at the graph and compare it to the last few years
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 4:05pm
Over 200 dead as Australia braces for peak flu season

CANBERRA (XINHUA) - The death toll from Australia's flu season has passed 200, with the authorities warning that the worst is yet to come.

According to data released separately by Australia's six states and two territories, at least 228 people have already been killed by the flu and more than 100,000 have been infected compared to only 58,824 in 2018.

"We're having one of our worst seasons so far... we expect the peak will come between July and September," Richard Kidd, chair of the Australian Medical Association Council of General Practice, told the Australian Associated Press on Saturday (June 29).

"Influenza is nothing like the common cold, it's serious and can be lethal."

More than 100 deaths and 49,000 cases have been reported in New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria, Australia's two biggest states, since January alone.

In South Australia, where the population is approximately one-quarter of the size of Victoria, there have been 18,500 confirmed cases of influenza and 44 deaths.

"The flu season is already making its impact felt around the country, with more patients presenting to NSW emergency departments so far in 2019 than in any other six-month period," Vicky Sheppeard, NSW's director of Communicable Disease, said in a statement on Friday.

The outbreak is happening despite more than 11 million people having being vaccinated against the virus under a programme subsidised by the government.

James Day, a 43-year-old Victorian man, had the vaccination but died from the flu only one week after being diagnosed, leaving behind a wife and a young son.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/over-200-dead-as-australia-braces-for-peak-flu-season
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 8:52am
that link hasn't worked either time I tried it Kilt

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 2:38pm
works for me

Over 200 dead as Australia braces for peak flu season

CANBERRA (XINHUA) - The death toll from Australia's flu season has passed 200, with the authorities warning that the worst is yet to come.

According to data released separately by Australia's six states and two territories, at least 228 people have already been killed by the flu and more than 100,000 have been infected compared to only 58,824 in 2018.

"We're having one of our worst seasons so far... we expect the peak will come between July and September," Richard Kidd, chair of the Australian Medical Association Council of General Practice, told the Australian Associated Press on Saturday (June 29).

"Influenza is nothing like the common cold, it's serious and can be lethal."

More than 100 deaths and 49,000 cases have been reported in New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria, Australia's two biggest states, since January alone.

In South Australia, where the population is approximately one-quarter of the size of Victoria, there have been 18,500 confirmed cases of influenza and 44 deaths.

"The flu season is already making its impact felt around the country, with more patients presenting to NSW emergency departments so far in 2019 than in any other six-month period," Vicky Sheppeard, NSW's director of Communicable Disease, said in a statement on Friday.

The outbreak is happening despite more than 11 million people having being vaccinated against the virus under a programme subsidised by the government.

James Day, a 43-year-old Victorian man, had the vaccination but died from the flu only one week after being diagnosed, leaving behind a wife and a young son.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 5:10pm
It works for me too Roni. Some browsers add their own prefixes to web addresses - and can occasionally get it wrong.

Try copying the address and and pasting it into the search bar.

Here it is again:

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/over-200-dead-as-australia-braces-for-peak-flu-season

The system here seems to automatically turn addresses into active urls. I typed the urls instruction myself in an attempt to remove whatever bit of the system's instructions your system collided with. I don't know if I succeeded. If not try copying from www to season and adding the rest yourself.

and here it is without the automatic urls www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/over-200-dead-as-australia-braces-for-peak-flu-season

Good luck!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 1:44am
The link worked for me.

Do you have to get your Australian flu news from a Singapore Newspaper?

The links I have found are good on giving numbers of flu cases and hospital trips but they ignore the number of deaths. When the swine flu hit Finland the authorities at first published daily updates including deaths, but decided that was causing too much panic and so they went silent on the deaths until after the flu session was over [they stopped before reaching half way point].   So when I can't find the death rates I get concerned about what is being hidden
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 6:36am
I got that one to work but the previous one for me doesn't work both times he posted it showing the low bases or whatever. No worries, just wanted him to know. thanks all!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 10:58am
Sorry Roni, I can't get that one to work either.

I noticed that web addresses often end "html" (I don't know what it means, but it is common) and this one ends htm.

Methinks: "Aha! I know what is wrong there." I didnt. If you copy and paste the url into a search bar with the l added you get on to the right site, but the page is gone.

This does beg the question: "Why did the Australian government D notice it."
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 11:02am
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 12:03pm
Thanks!!!

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 4:08pm
Not much being said here in WA,

i don't know anyone who has had the flu, some have had bad colds....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 4:11pm
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 4:14pm
41 deaths might not seem many, but we are a very small population in Western Australia,,

About 2.5 million,which given the size of the state is not many people.....

PS, don't tell everyone,but it's heaven and a privilege to live here......

Marcus Aurelius
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 3:34am
Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

Not much being said here in WA,

i don't know anyone who has had the flu, some have had bad colds....

It’s a shocking flu season. Is the response enough?
54 MINS AGO / 07:27

Australia is currently in the grips of a horrific flu season. In WA alone, over 15,000 people have been diagnosed with lab-confirmed influenza, compared to close to 1700 at the same time last year. There have been over 40 deaths.

Shadow Minister for Health, Zak Kirkup joined Jane Marwick today to ask what more could be done to respond to this.

“What I would like to see is making sure all hospital beds are available, all wards are open and we can surge the staff to respond to what is a pretty concerning situation out there.”

The below graph from The Department of Health shows the number of flu notifications since 2014

https://www.6pr.com.au/podcast/its-a-shocking-flu-season-is-the-response-enough/
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 3:34am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 11:18am
Ok so this is what the Northern Hemisphere has for the flu shot this year will it cover us? I take the Quadrivalent every year now instead of the Trivalent for Seniors. From the CDC:

There are many different flu viruses and they are constantly changing. The composition of U.S. flu vaccines is reviewed annually and updated as needed to match circulating flu viruses. Flu vaccines protect against the three or four viruses (depending on the vaccine) that research suggests will be most common. For 2019-2020, trivalent (three-component) vaccines are recommended to contain:
A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated)
A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus (updated)
B/Colorado/06/2017-like (Victoria lineage) virus
Quadrivalent (four-component) vaccines, which protect against a second lineage of B viruses, are recommended to contain:
the three recommended viruses above, plus B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 5:00pm
News

NewsNational
Flu strain 'mutates' amid deadly season - but vaccine still essential say doctors
By Sarah Swain - 2 hours ago

Doctors say some strains may have 'mutated' since this year's vaccine was developed.
A monster strain of the flu has mutated, making the flu vaccine potentially ineffective.

It comes amid a horror flu season which could get worse, according to experts.

A monster strain of the flu has mutated, making the flu vaccine potentially ineffective. (AAP)
228 people have been killed and more than 120,000 Australians have been hit by the virus so far this year.

World Health Organisation Influenza Centre spokeswoman Professor Kanta Subbarao told News Corp that testing shows the H3N2 strain of flu – just one of the strains – has mutated.

Doctors are warning that people should continue to get vaccinated as it protects against other strains and should reduce the severity of any infection.

“On the surface of the influenza virus there are a couple of proteins called H and N,” Dr Penny Adams explained.

“Sometimes those pre proteins can change slightly. We make vaccines to target those proteins.

“If the proteins change our vaccines might not be as effective

“The flu vaccine we have all got this winter it is effective… (It) covers four strains. It is only one strain that has changed. (The vaccine) is still effective for the others.

“I give the analogy it is a bit like a seatbelt in a car. You can still have a car accident but if have got your seatbelt on you will have more protection, less injuries.

Elijah Huynh, two, became the 42nd victim in Western Australia after dying in Perth. (Nine)
“I still strongly recommend the vaccine, it is 50 percent effective but it is better than not having the vaccine at all.”

As reported by 9News, an early spike in the number of flu cases could mean Australia is on track to have its worst flu season in years.

The number of flu cases normally peaks in August and September, however this year the flu season began months earlier.

The latest victims include a two-year-old boy and a father who had been vaccinated.

Elijah Huynh, two, became the 42nd victim in Western Australia after dying in Perth.

Hospital worker James Day, 43, passed away in Victoria- despite being vaccinated. (Nine)
Hospital worker James Day, 43, passed away in Victoria.

Earlier this week, NSW Health Director of Communicable Disease Dr Vicky Sheppeard said the season had not yet reached its peak.

“With flu cases still on the rise, we’re encouraging everyone, particularly pregnant women and parents of young children, to get their flu shots immediately,” Dr Sheppeard said.

Last month, almost 42,000 Australians were diagnosed with the virus, compared to under 2000 in June last year.

Nationally, NSW has suffered the highest flu toll, with seven more confirmed flu-related deaths in the past week, taking the total to 57.

Aged care facilities have been among the hardest hit, with NSW Health issuing warning for people to get vaccinated before visiting the elderly and to stay home if they are ill.

Marco Polo Aged Care Centre at Unanderra, near Wollongong on the NSW south coast, was put into lockdown following a flu outbreak.

Fifteen residents came down with the virus in the past three weeks, four of whom died.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019

Flu
Health
Australia
Medical
Careers
Advertise with us
Help
Terms of use
Privacy
© 2019 Nine Digital Pty Ltd

Marcus Aurelius
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 6:57pm
the Rate of Mortality (RoM) is 1/200th of 1% of those infected.

120,000 infected and 228 dead

still bad though compared with the last few years
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 7:00pm
More than 220 Australians have died of the flu so far, and it's expected to get worse

Health experts are warning sick people to stay at home, with this year’s deadly flu season expected to get worse.
Already, 228 people have died in Australia this year from flu complications.
An early spike in the number of flu cases could mean Australia is on track to have its worst flu season in years.
The number of flu cases normally peaks in August and September, however this year the flu season began months earlier.

Last month, almost 42,000 Australians were diagnosed with the virus compared to under 2000 in June last year.
NSW Health Director of Communicable Disease Dr Vicky Sheppeard said the season had not yet reached its peak.
“With flu cases still on the rise, we’re encouraging everyone, particularly pregnant women and parents of young children, to get their flu shots immediately,” Dr Sheppeard said.

Sydney mother Isabel, who asked for her surname to be withheld, is among those parents counting themselves extremely lucky after both of her two children contracted the flu last week but managed to recover.
Two-year-old Tios was the first to come down with the virus, and then on Wednesday, seven-week-old Alix started showing signs of the illness with a fever.
Alix was rushed to the Royal North Shore Hospital where tests confirmed she also had the flu.
“It was very hard. We didn’t sleep. I was staying at the hospital while my husband was at home with my toddler,” she said.
“But we were very lucky. We are back home now,” she said.

Nationally, NSW has suffered the highest flu toll, with seven more confirmed flu-related deaths in the past week, taking the total to 57.
Aged care facilities have been among the hardest hit, with NSW Health issuing warning for people to get vaccinated before visiting the elderly and to stay home if they are ill.
The warning comes as the Marco Polo Aged Care Centre at Unanderra, near Wollongong on the NSW south coast, remains in lockdown following a flu outbreak.
Fifteen residents have come down with the virus in the past three weeks, four of whom have subsequently died.
Dr Vicky Sheppeard last week said that so far this year, there have been 87 confirmed influenza outbreaks in aged-care facilities, 12 of which were reported last week.
"The elderly are highly vulnerable to influenza and the flu jab is critical to reducing the risk of visitors catching the virus and bringing it into aged-care homes," Dr Sheppeard said.
More than 13.1 million Australians have had the flu vaccine so far this year – which is two million more than last year and five million more than 2017.
In Victoria, 48 people have been killed by deadly strains of influenza this year, including Gippsland hospital worker James Day who had been immunised before falling ill.
The Victorian Health Department said there had been more than 21,800 reported cases of influenza so far this year compared to just over 2,000 last year.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/flu-season-deaths-more-than-220-australians-have-died-of-the-flu-so-far-and-its-expected-to-get-worse-national-news/5547a190-0e1b-4113-bf68-2914fa5507a5
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2019 at 2:23pm
I'm about to embark on a 35 hour journey to Northern Europe consisting of 4 back to back flights. I've done this trip a number of times and have a strategy for avoiding the flu that has worked on all previous trips:

1. I wipe down the tray table, remote control, screen and arm rests with wipes.
2. I use a frequent flyer saline nose spray every 2 hours to stop the lining of my nose drying out and being more susceptible to viruses.
3. I use a similar eye drop for the same reasons.
4. I dose up on huge amounts of Vitamin C for the week before I go.

Then I repeat this all on the way back.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2019 at 4:54pm
I just flew back from UK, took precautions,

still got a bad tummy virus,

lasted 24 hours, tummy not right for a week,

wife got it a few days after my main symptoms ,stopped

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 4:29pm

WA Health Department report reveals seven flu deaths in a week
Kate Campbell
The West Australian
Tuesday, 9 July 2019 4:04PM

The father of a Karratha toddler who died from the flu shared heartbreaking pictures of his final moments with his two-year-old.
Seven more people have died from the flu in the past week in WA, with the toll now sitting at 48 lives lost in a shocking start to the influenza season.

Only four people had died from influenza this time last year, meaning the number of deaths has now skyrocketed by 1100 per cent.

Two-year-old Karratha boy Elijah Huynh became one of last week’s suspected victims of the flu outbreak when he died last Tuesday after being flown to Perth Children’s Hospital. His family said the virus “spread like wildfire overnight ... without any warning signs”.

Latest WA Department of Health figures released today also reveal that official flu cases have gone from 1810 at this point last year to 17,640 — an increase of 875 per cent.

Karratha boy Elijah Huynh died from suspected influenza.
Karratha boy Elijah Huynh died from suspected influenza.Picture: Supplied
Meanwhile, the number of people admitted to hospital with the flu has soared by 440 per cent from 340 this time last year to 1837 so far in 2019.

About 3500 people suffering from influenza or a winter respiratory illness went to hospital emergency departments in the past week, which is down from the peak of more than 4000 weekly presentations last month.

Despite a slowing rate of new cases in the past month, a department spokesperson was not able to say whether WA’s flu “seasonal epidemic” had reached its peaked after a brutal early start.

“Influenza notifications reported to the Department of Health decreased this week, but remain much higher than the peaks of previous seasons,” the spokesperson said.

“As previously said, the influenza season in WA has hit early. The peak influenza season is WA in generally between July and September each year. The Department cannot predict if these numbers will remain high for the duration of the usual season, or if we have seen an early peak and that they’ll subside.”

Children aged five to nine years old have been the hardest hit, with 2334 confirmed flu cases to date this year.

So far this year, 43.8 per cent of children under five have had the free flu vaccine, compared to just 15.1 per cent who had the jab at this stage last year.

Marcus Aurelius
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 6:29pm
I am so sorry to hear of the children's deaths the worst thing that can happen to parents. I was giving my son the Flu Shot when he was 8 years old, his doctors would not give it to him so I went to a public clinic and got him one that year and every year after. All children should get flu shots!!!!
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 2:32pm
it is now called the flunami

the rate of mortality is about 1 in 450

About 300 people have died from the flu already this year - more than double that in all of 2018.

But experts believe Australia's "moderately bad" season has probably hit its peak.

The flu season started early this year after a mild one in 2018, leading to significantly higher numbers of influenza cases than usually experienced by this point.

Influenza expert Professor Robert Booy believes it will be a moderate flu season and not as severe as in 2017, when 1163 died.

The Immunisation Coalition chairman said the early start to this year's flu season will probably mean an early peak, predicting the number of cases will begin to decline soon.

Deaths doubled
So far 298 deaths associated with influenza have been reported to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System, although that only includes laboratory-confirmed cases.

There were 58,847 confirmed influenza cases and 125 deaths in Australia in 2018.

The 2017 influenza season, when a quarter of a million laboratory-confirmed cases were recorded and 1163 people died, was the worst since the 2009 swine flu pandemic.

The laboratory numbers do not show the full extent of the flu because most people do not get tested.

Alarming figures
REPORTED CASES OF LABORATORY-CONFIRMED FLU AND ASSOCIATED DEATHS SO FAR IN 2019
135,952 cases nationally
298 deaths
Source: Department of Health (federal)
LATEST AVAILABLE STATE-BY-STATE DATA**
SA - 19,964 cases, 82 deaths
NSW - about 43,000 cases, 70 deaths
VIC - 25,969 cases, 50 deaths
WA - 17,640 cases, 48 deaths
QLD - 23,947 cases, 38 deaths
ACT - 1595 cases, fewer than 5 deaths
NT - 1079 cases, 4 deaths
TAS - 1390 cases, 1 death
Jurisdictions update their data at different times.

https://7news.com.au/news/health/flu-deaths-hit-300-as-season-passes-peak-c-209939
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 10:36pm
Thanks, that last article was good in putting into perspective, and not jsut comparing with a very light years (ie last year)

I suppose that if there is not an early peaking (to go with the early start) then the death totals might not stay in the "moderate" group.

Of interest I wonder how many flu deaths there are and not just those which have been "laboratory confirmed".
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 1:03am
Originally posted by EdwinSm, EdwinSm, wrote:

Thanks, that last article was good in putting into perspective, and not jsut comparing with a very light years (ie last year)

I suppose that if there is not an early peaking (to go with the early start) then the death totals might not stay in the "moderate" group.

Of interest I wonder how many flu deaths there are and not just those which have been "laboratory confirmed".

Good questions! A major problem with flu deaths is that influenza infection is often a precursor to other, deadlier infections such as bacterial pneumonia. I've read articles that ascribed the very high death rate of the 1918 Spanish Flu to bacterial pneumonia instead of influenza virus as is commonly thought.

Determining cause of death in these circumstances is tricky...

What are seasonal influenza-related deaths?

Seasonal influenza-related deaths are deaths that occur in people for whom influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death.

What are seasonal influenza-related deaths?

Seasonal influenza-related deaths are deaths that occur in people for whom influenza infection was likely a contributor to the cause of death, but not necessarily the primary cause of death.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm
CRS, DrPH
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 1:44pm
interesting graph of Aust Flu over the years

https://theconversation.com/its-a-bad-year-for-flu-but-its-too-early-to-call-it-the-worst-ever-5-charts-on-the-2019-season-so-far-120093
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 4:08pm
11 hours ago
THE Gold Coast is riddled with the flu, recording almost four times as many cases so far this year than in 2018, impacting absent rates at schools and workplace ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic