Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cruise ship docking in New Jersey, suspected cases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Cruise ship docking in New Jersey, suspected cases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise ship docking in New Jersey, suspected cases
    Posted: February 07 2020 at 12:17am
https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/cruise-ship-set-to-dock-in-bayonne-will-test-12-passengers-for-coronavirus/

(This is the full text at time of posting. No mention of whether they're going to hold the other passengers on the ship until they get the results)

A Royal Caribbean cruise ship scheduled to dock in Bayonne, New Jersey, early Friday has at least a dozen Chinese nationals on board in isolation who will be tested for coronavirus, a source familiar with the ship said.

Some of the passengers, who are returning from the Bahamas on the ship, have pulmonary issues, according to the source.

They will be tested for the virus when the ship docks at the New Jersey port.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not determined where the passengers will be held while the tests are done.

In a statement early Friday, Royal Caribbean said they are “participating in elevated levels of guest screening” to combat the spread of the virus.

“We are closely monitoring developments regarding coronavirus and have rigorous medical protocols in place onboard our ships,” a company spokesperson said in a statement.

“We continue to work in close consultation with the CDC, the WHO, and local health authorities to align with their guidance and ensure the health and wellbeing of our guests and crew,” they added.

Robert Isaacson, 42, whose 75-year-old mother is on the Bayonne-bound ship, told The Post he is worried for her because of a cruise ship in Hong Kong that’s been quarantined after crew members complained of having coronavirus symptoms.

“I sent her an email about that during her cruise so we were aware of the situation but we figured that is Asia, odds of that happening here are much much smaller,” Isaacson, who lives in Jersey City, said in a text message.

He added crew members on his mother’s ship have not alerted passengers to the sick people on board.

“We have been chatting throughout the cruise and she has not brought any mentions of the crew alerting the passengers of a potential situation involving sick passengers,” he added.

New York City had no confirmed cases of the virus as of Thursday.

The virus, which first spread in the city of Wuhan in China, has now killed more than 600 people and infected more than 28,000 globally.
WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 4:23am
Well that couldn't be closer to me if it were the Brooklyn docks across the harbor. I could walk down to the shore road and see the ship. I don't think this will the the last.
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 5:51am
WitchMisspelled - I hope for your (and everyone's sake) they look at the efficiency of spread on this and quarantine all and test all. Not a likely scenario as 'most' world governments/WHO etc seem to be more worried about stock market stability and not creating panic then they are about actually stopping this virus - most seem to 'a day late and a dollar short' on their frontal attack of this coming at us.
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:07am
Yes. They are more worried about the stock market. And the economy. The stock market is not a indication of the economy contrary to popular opinion. And its government's job to keep the people calm and quiet.

I should add that I just learned Fort Hamilton is a designated quarantine site. Just my luck. It's only blocks away from me. I was wondering why sirens have been almost non-stop this morning...
Emswally View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emswally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:32am
Wonder what they’ll think of the Stock market if it goes Kinetic in the US
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:34am
They won't care. They'll be in their nice safe taxpayer funded bunkers.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:36am
Uhhhh, EMS taking them off the ship are not even wearing masks! As of now the ship plans to sail on next cruise in less than 7 hours!

https://twitter.com/wallerABC7/status/1225754367934050304

https://twitter.com/KatGCujo/status/1225789562259197956
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:37am
Just read NJ local news they are disembarking.

Coronavirus concern: 4 passengers from NJ cruise ship being evaluated; all others cleared
Ad Duration00:30
Current time00:00
Seek
% buffered
00:00
Duration02:35
Volume
EMBED <>More Videos
<iframe width="476" height="267" src="https://abc7ny.com/video/embed/?pid=5910397" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Derick Waller has an update as the Anthem of the Seas arrives in Bayonne.
By Derick Waller
Updated 8 minutes ago
BAYONNE, New Jersey (WABC) -- Officials provided an update after a Royal Caribbean cruise ship with a number of passengers who were quarantined due to concern over possible coronavirus infection docked in Bayonne, New Jersey Friday morning.

Eyewitness News is told four people who were aboard the Anthem of the Seas are now being evaluated for possible infection at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

Another 23 passengers who showed some concerning symptoms have been cleared and are on their way.

The rest of the passengers from the ship continue to disembark, and they are all being screened as a precaution.

Eyewitness News was there as the Anthem of the Seas arrived in Bayonne from the Bahamas in thick fog at 6 a.m. Friday.

Several ambulances were seen pulling up along the dock. Officials from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) were on hand to greet the arriving ship.

The quarantined passengers, all Chinese nationals, started exhibiting symptoms aboard the ship.

A federal official told Eyewitness News there was no indication any of the passengers actually have coronavirus, and that the quarantine steps were taken out of an abundance of caution.

Click here for complete coverage of the coronavirus outbreak.

There is good reason for that.

Since the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, the deadly respiratory virus has spread across Asia, Europe and North America.
The CDC says 11 people are confirmed to have the virus in the United States with dozens of other people being monitored.

There have been no confirmed cases in the tri-state area, but several people are being monitored.

In a statement, Royal Caribbean said: "We are participating in elevated levels of guest screening to check the spread of coronavirus. We are closely monitoring developments regarding coronavirus and have rigorous medical protocols in place onboard our ships."

Officials said it is possible the people on the ship could have the flu, which - at least in the U.S. this season - has been much more deadly than coronavirus.

https://abc7ny.com/health/coronavirus-concern-4-from-nj-cruise-ship-being-evaluated/5910246/
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:40am
Originally posted by pheasant pheasant wrote:

Just read NJ local news they are disembarking.

We're in that part of every single disaster movie where everyone in the audience screams "NOOOOOO!!!!! What are you doing???"
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 6:41am
Originally posted by KiminNM KiminNM wrote:

Uhhhh, EMS taking them off the ship are not even wearing masks! As of now the ship plans to sail on next cruise in less than 7 hours!

https://twitter.com/wallerABC7/status/1225754367934050304

OMG how stupid of ALL involved - all the rest of the passengers should be quarantined, the ship should be disinfected from top of roof to bottom of bottom floor - including inside vents etc...you couldn't pay me to get onto that ship right now!!! This is why I keep saying it WILL hit here - 3000+ ppl that have been exposed in close quarters allowed to just 'walk away'...what a nightmare...

post edit; I see reading longer article it says 'suspected cases' not confirmed - so praying that all come back negative!!!
If it's to be - it's up to me!
endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 7:16am
***** !!!
Here we go if this virus gets out in NYC that it run for your lives
Stupid Stupid !!!
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 8:17am
Okay.. let the New Yorker who lives very near these happenings be a voice of reason. Chinese nationals would not fly from China to New York to take a four day cruise. We don't know if they are Chinese nationals that live here and haven't been in China for months who had to present their passport to enter the Bahamas. And trust me.. there are TONS of Chinese nationals that live here that haven't been to China in many months, if not a year or better. I doubt the CDC would be so confident in letting passengers disembark if they had any indication that passengers had the virus even though the Cruise Line isolated the passengers days ago while on the cruise.

I'm not panicked over this. None of you should be either.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 9:09am

I'm not panicking, just sharing info.

This young man is a Chinese national, permanent citizen of the UK, hadn't been to China in over a year, but was isolated with other Chinese nationals on board in a restaurant, who he worries/thinks/knows (???) had been to the mainland recently.(I couldn't tell with his accent) So he's now concerned he was exposed, but he's been released.

Based on his travel history, there was no reason for him to be isolated with the others, so I hope they don't do that in the future. Hopefully none of them had traveled to China, and everything comes back negative.

https://twitter.com/KaylaMamelak/status/1225780828724236288

I just read they delayed the next cruise by a day to clean more thoroughly, which is prudent even if just for public relations.

And this particular one was a 12 day cruise, with multiple ports of call. So fingers crossed for sure.

Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 3:07pm

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/royal-caribbean-may-delay-cruise-after-coronavirus-scare
CREW MEMBER FOUND DEAD

Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told WNBC on Saturday that a 54-year-old crew member, a Filipino national, was found dead in an engine room of the ship last weekend.

Authorities don't believe the man's death is connected to the coronavirus scare as he didn't show symptoms of the illness, but they're awaiting an autopsy and treating his death with an "abundance of caution."

According to WNBC, the man's body was kept in a refrigerated compartment on the ship before it was sent to Newark for a "rush" autopsy.

"We can confirm that local authorities were immediately notified after a crewmember who did not report for work was found deceased. We cooperated fully with law enforcement in their investigation and have been advised the death was non-suspicious," Royal Caribbean wrote in a statement to WNBC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic