Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Couponing To Prepare!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couponing To Prepare!
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:41pm

Hello there, everyone -

I'm new (posting, that is) to this forum but have been lurking for a bit. I've recently taken up a couponing hobby, and it is saving us loads of money but better than that, helping us prepare for emergencies.

For example, I have oodles of stored food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, medicines etc. purchased at only a fraction of the cost...I couldn't have done this without using coupons. The right coupon paired with the right sale can mean items for pennies or even free.

In the last 3 months I've picked up free toothpaste, toothbrushes, Stagg chili containers, cereal, cold medicine, shampoos, etc - this has enabled me to accumulate a stockpile of dozens of boxes of cereal, toothpaste etc.

My point is to those on a budget who want to prepare, couponing is a great way to do so. I wouldn't have been able to accumulate my stockpile without using coupons paired with sales - and this is stuff that we'll use as a family anyway, even if disaster doesn't strike immediately.

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts!

~A

Stay At Home Mom, Book Addict
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:12pm
Hello and Welcome FakinBacon. I love to clip coupons and use them to get items very cheaply.  I have clipped coupons on and off for years. I have recently started up again.
My only problem is that the Sunday papers around here have gotten very skimpy with their coupons for some reason. Do you get coupons from somewhere other than the Sunday paper? I'd love to hear more about this.
Daydreamer
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
FakinBacon View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:29pm

Hello there, Dreamer - Nice to meet you!

I get my coupons only from the Sunday papers - and any major paper in your area will carry them. What you're looking for is two coupon inserts titled "Smart Source" and "Valassis" - once in awhile they also have Proctor & Gamble inserts.

I used to think that coupons were a complete waste of time, because most of them had brands/items that I didn't buy for one reason or another - cost of item, etc. I thought it was cheaper to hit the dollar store or to buy generic - boy was I wrong!!

Stock up on a few weeks worth of coupons - I buy 3 Sunday papers weekly, and save the inserts - get them from recycling bins, friends, neighbors etc - and then look for the items to go on sale within 2-6 weeks at your neighborhood grocery and drug stores.

For example: I saw a post on here where someone bought Ragu pasta sauce for $1 a jar on sale - I was able to get the same product on sale + using coupon for $.25-50 cents a jar. My spare bedroom is loaded with stuff, all through pairing coupons. Items I've gotten for free in the past 2 months:

50 bags of Malt-O-Meal Cereal, 75 tubes of toothpaste (Aquafresh and Colgate), 50 toothbrushes, 100 boxes of Stagg chili, 40 containers of hair shampoo and body wash, etc.

I wouldn't have been able to do this without couponing - and in times like these, this serves as a double blessing - not only help in emergency situations like the flu epidemic that may be coming, but similar disasters as well as times of financial hardship.

I'd be happy to share more info with you if you'd like - it'll help all of us trying to prepare on a budget!

Oh - I also order coupons from coupon clipping sights. For example, if there's a hot deal on a particular product (meaning it's free for me at the market or drug store), I can order it from a clipping service. You can't technically sell coupons, but you pay them for their clipping time (whatever they want to call it, LOL) and this way you can select the amount/type of coupon that you want.

My family freaks at my stockpile - they think it's crazy and when you mention Avian flu etc. they label you extremist - until the women start raiding the toiletrie stockpile like a bunch of locusts. LOL

~A

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:39pm

What a great thread! A woman after my own heart! I have got to organize my coupons and keep up with it! Thanks for the inspiration.

Have you read the book "Miserly Moms"? It's got a lot of great tips in it for stretching a dollar! -- Libby

PS Welcome to the forum!

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:48pm

Hello there Libby, nice to meet you!

I belong to a couponing site - they send you a list of sales for your area every week, and which coupon to use it with in order to get maximum savings. This costs me about $10 a month, but there's a Walgreens list that is free for anyone who wants to log on and check it out.

(For anyone who has a Walgreens or CVS in their area, they are gold mines!)

It's funny - looking on the couponing website, most of the moms joke that they are already way prepared in terms of food, medicine and toiletries that they have stocked every day of the year. This is true...but I look at it this way. By couponing and maximizing savings, three things are accomplished for me: 1. Saving on our grocery budget 2. Stockpiling various food and toiletrie items for emergencies and lean financial times 3. Most importantly, taking the money saved from the grocery bill and using it to purchase emergency supplies not covered by couponing. I also take additional savings to apply towards bills etc - but last time I checked, I couldn't get general survival items just by using coupons! So this is my money used towards true "emergency" supplies, and I (hopefully) won't wreck myself financially by doing so.

Like I said, it's nice to meet everyone!

~A

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:54pm

Sorry Libby - forgot to answer your question.

No, I haven't read "Miserly Moms" - I have a copy of Tightwad Gazette, and that's an interesting read. Thanks for the recommendation!

I just ordered a book today titled "Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide To Self Reliance" which is supposed to be great reading. Seasons to plant various things, how to make soap, etc. I guess it's paying tribute somehow to pioneer ancestors!

~A

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:56pm

Yes, I also coupon and have a large stockpile for free or cheap. I am lucky to have a double coupon store that doubles 1.00 coupons, alot of states do not have access to double coupon stores (FLA is one of them). For a complete list of stores that double state by state, you can also purchase/trade coupons from people go to www.mycoupons.com and go to the TOT (tips of the trade) board it will list all free items for the week at major grocery stores and drug stores, there is also a coupon trading board where you can buy coupons, also has other deals boards. I am currently getting:

Armour chili .15 a can, Tidy Cat litter .19 a bag, Malto Meal Oatmeal .39, Stayfree pads 1.67, Johnson & Johnson shampoo & lotion free, Kraft cheese .59, Hunts tomato sauce .02 can, Degree deodorant free, Cottonelle wipes .59, and the deals vary from week to week. After a certain amount of time most things you use are stockpiled. The problem with this is that it has to be done over time and we may not have that much time. Couponing is not for everyone it takes a special type of person.

Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:23pm

FakinBacon, I am so glad that you started this thread. I am going to have to get more serious about clipping the coupons. Starting this week. We rarely go anywhere on a Sunday anymore, too much time prepping or on here, but I'm going to have to start making a newspaper run.

Please continue to post any other helpful ideas that you think of. I am glad to see other people interested in this as well.

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:37pm

Hello there, Penham :)

I forgot to mention something - for the 2 months that I've been couponing, I've accumulated over 200 protein bars - all different brands, all of which were FREE. The coupon inserts in Sunday papers regularly feature these coupons for various brands of protein bars - buy one get one free, $1 or .50 off, etc. I've combined them with sales at Safeway and such to get free protein bars - which take up little space as compared to the 80 boxes of cereal (LOL) and are nutritious, and will last awhile for us if need be. Plus, I use them anyway, so it's not as if I'm accumulating stuff that we'll only use in case of dire emergency.

I know that stockpiling takes awhile, but start NOW with coupons - and see how much you can gather up in a relatively short amount of time. When you buy your Sunday papers, don't just buy one - buy 4 at a time - get inserts from neighbors etc - that way when a sale hits for an item that you can store (pasta, beans, tomato sauce, canned fruit and veg, etc) you don't just buy one item on sale - you buy a bunch and therefore maximize your savings.

~A

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FakinBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:07pm

Forgot something -

If you have a CVS or Walgreens pharmacy near you that you shop at, make sure that you take advantage of the Walgreens monthly rebate program or CVS Extra Care Bucks. If you have either of these stores near you but don't shop there, start doing so!

You can get some great deals - during the past few months we've gotten $1 Robitussin cough syrup, free Advil cold medicine, $.50 cent Theraflu, free Bayer Aspirin - which we've probably gotten about 50 or more bottles of for free. Walgreens has a monthly rebate program - if you buy a certain product, send in the receipt at the end of the month. That same item will usually go on sale during the month - buy it AND pair it with a coupon to maximize your savings. This is how we've accumulated free shampoo, hairspray, pain reliever, and cold medicine. Toothpaste and toothbrushes are free, and toilet paper, paper towels and household cleaners and detergents are cheaper than buying them at Costco or Sam's club, if you buy them on sale, use the coupon and do the rebates.

You can do the Extra Care Bucks at CVS Pharmacy - every week in their Sunday ad they tell you what items they have for the deal - buy X amount of items and get X amount of Extra Care Bucks. These bucks can be turned around and used for the next week sale items (along with your coupon for the item of course!) so stuff is dirt cheap or even free. Learn to work the system!

I know it's a lot of work - but once you get a system going, it really doesn't take much time - you can do your prep work the day before you go shopping, hit the stores, and then come home, your shopping done for the week. Everytime you go shopping, you'll come home with items to add to your growing stockpile of supplies.

Case in point: a few weeks back, we were all sick with strep throat. Thankfully, we had children's Advil on hand in the house so that I didn't have to leave the house late at night to buy some for my son, and most importantly didn't have to buy it at full price - I had a stockpile of 5 bottles that I was able to get for 85% off the regular price at the store - purchased for $.95 cents a bottle.

The great thing about this place is learning so many survival tips - which I have no knowledge about. Generators, water purification, emergency kits, etc - thanks to everyone who posts, sharing their knowledge! It doesn't do me any good to have X amount of food/toiletrie supply when I run out of water, much more critical of an issue!

~A

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic