Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Rice Recipes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rice Recipes?
    Posted: March 22 2006 at 6:24am
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and realized just this week how big a deal this "bird flu thing" could be.  The news stations sure aren't saying a lot about it!  I heard the guy (Michael Leavitt (sp?)) talking about stocking up on tuna and powdered milk, and did some research of my own, and things sure don't look good. Shocked

I'm going to start stocking up on groceries and basic necessities immediately, especially cheaper stuff (we're living paycheck-to-paycheck and have very little extra money).  Rice is cheap, as well as pinto beans and Ramen noodles, so I'm planning on those for sure.

But what can be made with rice?  I would imagine that plain ol' rice would get unappetizing very quickly, but I do know that it's good with beef stew over it.  What else is there?

And how can dried beans be cooked with little power/fuel consumption?  We do have camping equipment, including a Coleman stove, but it takes several hours for dried beans to cook.

We've just got two people to feed, so at least that's to our advantage (financially-speaking).

Thanks! Smile

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 6:27am
Originally posted by annika annika wrote:

Hi,I'm new to this forum, and realized just this week how big a deal this "bird flu thing" could be.  The news stations sure aren't saying a lot about it!  I heard the guy (Michael Leavitt (sp?)) talking about stocking up on tuna and powdered milk, and did some research of my own, and things sure don't look good. I'm going to start stocking up on groceries and basic necessities immediately, especially cheaper stuff (we're living paycheck-to-paycheck and have very little extra money).  Rice is cheap, as well as pinto beans and Ramen noodles, so I'm planning on those for sure.But what can be made with rice?  I would imagine that plain ol' rice would get unappetizing very quickly, but I do know that it's good with beef stew over it.  What else is there?And how can dried beans be cooked with little power/fuel consumption?  We do have camping equipment, including a Coleman stove, but it takes several hours for dried beans to cook.We've just got two people to feed, so at least that's to our advantage (financially-speaking).Thanks!

"Basmati " Indian rice improves with age. Very nice with some butter salt & pepper, or add some veggies herbs.

(Google for recipes or go to, http://www.thefoodnetwork.com/ )

Beans can be pre-soaked to cut down on cooking time.

Careful of the Ramen noodles and trans-fats.

You can buy a 50-pound bag of large-flake Quaker Oats for about $20-30$, (it will keep 2-3years in air tight containers). When you cook porridge add a little milk to it, tastes great. I like it with a little salt and butter, or you can add cinamon or anything else you like. Should make a couple of hundred servings.

Pasta stores well and is inexpensive. Another form of pasta is called Cous-Cous. Heat a couple of cans of chicken stock to boiling, drop in a cup of Cous-Cous pasta, a little butter, cover turn off heat, fluff a couple of times, ready in 10-minutes. Easy and cheap. Cous-Cous looks like fine granular sand. Add some raisins leftover meat etc.

Look into other inexpensive grains like Buckwheat (Kasha)

bf watcher View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bf watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:38am

WELCOME PLEASE TAKE A LITTLE FROM EVERYONE'S LISTS THEY WILL REALLY HELP YOU TO HAVE CLEAR THOUGHTS ON WHAT TO BUY ......GOOD LUCKThumbs Up

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:21am

Soak your beans overnight and they will cook faster.   Some of us are experimenting with beans in a thermos.  Stay tuned and we'll let you know if anything works.  Another option is to cook them with charcoal in a dutch oven.  Let me know if you need more info on how to do that. 

There are some good rice recipes on here including one with coconut milk, waterchestnuts and I can't remember what else.  Looked very good.  A good basic rice recipe one is put one can of chicken, one can of chicken broth or water and chicken boullion in with one cup rice and one cup water.    You can search "rice" on this site and come up with lots.  Welcome!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:32am
I am buying several brand of rice but my favorite Thai is rice is hard to find lately but it is the best, its very much like basmanti only better in my opion

I like it just plain with fruit and vegetable on the side.  It dosent need any heavy sauses 
Ironstone View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:09am
Rice can also be made with any juices you pour off of other cans, tomato juice, instead of water can make the basis of Spanish Rice and you can add things of your choice.  Rice can be made using fruit juices for a sweeter taste.  Rice with raisens, sugar and milk makes a sort of pudding.  The Chinese use cold rice, peanut oil, soy sauce and onions as a quick dish, i really like it but it sounds a bit odd.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:40pm
Welcome aboard. Look for posts by Katdoe67, she has got the budget cooking down!!! You might also want to take a look at the thread with the solar ovens, cooking for free, without fuel. Tons of great info here.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:44pm
 I cook the rice in a rice cooker (Wal-mart $20). This is really nice because you measure the water, then you do not have to monitor it while it cooks, it will switch from cooking to warming. Then  I freeze 2 cups in a 1 Quart Ziploc bag. Then it is easy to add anything to the rice- beans, chicken, beef stir fry vegetables etc. The rice can be defrosted in a microwave in 2 minutes, or slowly defrosted in a lunch bag.

When there is no access to electricity, rice is more of an inconvenience due to the cooking time. I found that during hurricanes we tended to eat the largest meal of the day around noon so the cooking would be over.

Rice and beans combine to form a complete protein.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Karianne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:06pm

I like the beans and rice a local restaurant has. I asked them what that unique flavor was and they told me a marinade called Mojo.

You put black beans (I used canned ones) over rice with Mojo to taste. They also had onion in it but it's good without onions too.
stormriderfla View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormriderfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:29pm
I know I am gonna hate myself for this...mojo?  Huh?
chargingbear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by annika annika wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and realized just this week how big a deal this "bird flu thing" could be.  The news stations sure aren't saying a lot about it!  I heard the guy (Michael Leavitt (sp?)) talking about stocking up on tuna Shocked

I would stay away from any tuna products, since it has a lot of mercury in it now.

Cry
duncan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:17am
Fried rice is really easy. Cook the rice a few days before making it and let it dry out.

Stir fry hot with one tablespoon of seseme oil. Add diced spam and peas after approx 4 minutes and give it another couple of minutes. Mix in soy sauce or salt to taste.

Yum.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:55am

Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

When there is no access to electricity, rice is more of an inconvenience due to the cooking time. I found that during hurricanes we tended to eat the largest meal of the day around noon so the cooking would be over.

Rice and beans combine to form a complete protein.

Minute Rice simply needs boiling hot water, a quick stir, and then to sit in a covered pot for a short while.

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:13am
Bradley's Dirty Rice

1 cup rice
2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash Original
1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper (pepper ball is ideal) or to taste
2 tbsp Olive Oil

Bring water to a boil in a saucepan.  Add salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash and Olive oil.  Return water to a boil.  Pour in rice slowly while stirring, return to brisk boil, boil for 2 minutes, then cover and reduce to low simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.  Fluff with fork, serve topped with butter, salt to taste.  Serves 3.
Karianne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 10:18am
Originally posted by stormriderfla stormriderfla wrote:

I know I am gonna hate myself for this...mojo?  Huh?

Haha, that's what I said but try it.  I don't know how to describe it's taste but the brand I got is made by Goya and it says Mojo marinade for chicken, pork and beef. It is wonderful on rice and beans.

Kari
May View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:06pm
hi,

I agree with getting some Basmati rice.  I find it easier to cook.  We get the huge burlap bag of it at Sam's.  As far as making it tasty... try out some spices from an Asian food store, the prices are great. 

I bought bay leaves in bulk .06 lb for 66 cents fits in a zip lock sandwich bag.  Also bought MDH spices for $1.29 per 3.5 oz box.  Several types of Indian mixed spices like, Chunky Chat Masala, Tandori Barbeque Masala, Sambar Masala and Channa Masala. 

You can make sauces with powdered onion and canned tomato, spices and a thickener.  We use a little coconut milk.  I toss in a few golden raisons. 

One time during an ice storm we had no heat or elec for 5 days.  I took an empty xmas tin, the round kind, and put 5 votive candles inside it around an upside down empty International coffee tin placed in the middle.  I lit the candles and put a large pot on top... I was able to give my daughter one hot meal each day and a hot drink at night.  I heated water and filled 1 litre size clear plastic bottles (about 4) with the hot water and we were toasty in bed..."Mom it's too warm in here."  :)

Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:57pm
I was trying to organize the pantry today (an ongoing process!) and I took the bags of rice-I have 25 lbs.--and put them into a rigid cooler with several bay leaves.  It opened quite a space in the cabinet, and took a load off the shelves.  It would take a might rat to gnaw through a coleman cooler!
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:37pm

I did not want to start a new thread so I found this older one about rice. I bought some rice the other day. I put it in ziplock bags. I then bought 5 gallon white buckets from Lowes. I lined the buckets on the inside with brown wrapping paper. I put the bags of rice (in ziplock bags) in the buckets. Does that sound like a good way to store rice? I have gone through this thread searching for recipes. I am looking for simple rice recipes that do not require a lot of ingredients.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Proudest Monkey Proudest Monkey wrote:

I did not want to start a new thread so I found this older one about rice. I bought some rice the other day. I put it in ziplock bags. I then bought 5 gallon white buckets from Lowes. I lined the buckets on the inside with brown wrapping paper. I put the bags of rice (in ziplock bags) in the buckets. Does that sound like a good way to store rice? I have gone through this thread searching for recipes. I am looking for simple rice recipes that do not require a lot of ingredients.

You should be ok.

Easy rice:

Sweat 1 onion in 4T butter.  (You can add garlic if you wish now too).  Add 1 cup rice and just start to brown.  (You can add 1t-2t curry powder here for a little zip).  Add 3c chix stock ( I use 5 chix bullion cubes in 3c water).  Bake for 30 or so minutes until rice is soft.  (You may have to add more water during baking, keep an eye on it.)  This can also be made on the stove top, I guess I would just simmer for about 20 minutes, then shut off heat and cover, and let stand another 15 minutes or so.

Simple, few ingredients, and very tasty.  This recipe will expand to just about fill a 2 qt casserole.  As a side dish, it feeds my family of 5, with leftovers.  I imagine you could add soaked beans anytime to make it a main dish protein.  You could add canned chicken to make a main dish.  Add vegis to make a main dish...very versatile.....

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 10:33pm

Stock up on canned chicken and cream of chicken soup.  Drain canned chicken rinse if enough water is available to remove excess salt (if water is a priority skip this step) heat cream of chicken soup instead of adding a full can of water/and or milk use a half a can of either, heat, add canned chicken cook until chicken is heated serve over rice. You could add vegetables to this if you wish but I have always just made it with fresh boiled chicken that you shred and add to the soup and served vegetables on the side I am pretty sure canned chicken would work just fine in a pinch. My mother was big into EASY recipes and this one about topped the list LOL.

purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 5:58am
I like rice with cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soups and add some chicken to itClap
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:47am
My husband likes leftover rice for breakfast with milk, sugar and cinnamon.

We both love rice pudding made from leftover rice.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:21am

Ok were the rice pudding recipe....Fork it over...Yummy...I think were going to have some left over rice for sure...

Nothing should go to waste....
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:13am
There are lots of them out there - I usually opt for the easiest ones I find at the time.

OLD FASHION RICE PUDDING   

1 c. leftover rice
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine rice, sugar, butter, salt, flavoring and nutmeg into 1-quart baking dish. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring after 15 minutes and again when pudding is done. Then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Place in broiler a few minutes to brown. Serve warm or chilled. Makes 6 servings.
==================
Another easy recipe

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4t salt
Beat slightly to mix then
Scald
2 cups milk
dash nutmeg
then add to other mixture then add
2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup raisins

Directions:
Pour into 1qt casserole and set in pan of water (1 inch deep). Sprilnkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350 F for 1hr and 15 min. Serve warm with cream.

About 6 servings.
=============
I use the recipes as guidelines and usually add raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg to mine. It's sort of like making bread pudding - never exactly the same twice, but hard to mess up.

tazman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 4:39pm
Try Jasmine Rice (available at Sams club) - has a nice flavor
Email me your favorite links:My Email
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:37pm

Thanks everyone for the rice recipes. If you come across anymore just post them here. I made a rice dish yesterday with one of these recipes. It turned out pretty good. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 12:27am
A really yummy casserole (I make it all the time):
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
3 cups chicken
1 can cream of celery
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 cup french-cut green beans, drained (used liquid to cook rice in)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
Cook rice according to direcions.  Mix ingredients and put in
greased casserole.  Bake 30-35 min at 350. (Could be good in
a solar oven, or probably done on a cook top, if you had to)

I'm probably going to "wing it" for the most part when it comes
to rice.  I figure any of those chunky-type soups would be
good over rice.  As much as I love REAL Chinese food, I might
break down and stock up on a few canned meals (forget the
brand - ChunKing?) - The sweet and sour pork/chicken isn't
too bad over rice, actually, and would be a welcome respite to
creamed soup toppings.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 11:10pm

You can put just about any of your canned goods over rice, like chili, or whatever you like, the main thing about rice and pasta for survival is that it takes the expensive stuff like meat, and pulls out your amount,  you can use one sixteen ounce can mixed with the rice and have a meal, or pasta.

wmommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 5:59am
I cook rice and once most of the water is gone, I add about a 1/2 -3/4 cup of salsa. Instant spanish rice. Heat until desired consistency. We have this on Mexican night at our house. Sometimes with tacos or with bean burritos.

Also, when I was a kid, I was responsible for breakfast for me and my siblings every morning. (Mom would not get out of bed early, woke up just long enough to holler for me.) I would cook rice and add milk and raisins for a hot breakfast.(I lived in the mid-west then) Oatmeal with milk and raisins hits the spot, too, although I can't convince my kids of this.
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 6:04am
Oatmeal with milk, raisins, and about an inch thick cap of brown sugar!Clap
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 7:47am

Hi all

Worse case scenario---When there is no electricity and unless you have a generator and access to unlimited fuel--a freezer might not keep your pre-cooked rice safe.  Stored dry rice can be cooked in a covered dutch oven (iron is best) over a hot fire or grill or on top of a wood fire.  Use what you have--canned broth instead of water, boullion cubes, dried veggies, dried meat, cooked beans, dried cheese, spices-- just like you would on a stove.  Make rice pudding with dried raisins, apricots or cranberry-rice bread, rice cakes.  If you have access to safe chicken--make chicken and rice soup, baked chicken and rice stuffing.  If you know how to live off of the land and it's available, try cooked greens like polk or dandelion thrown in (high in vitamins).  Take care
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:09am

Add black beans and diced tomatos to rice Quick and easy add any spices you like.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:22pm
Remember to buy several types of rice and keep instant rice for when the power is down.

I am not much of a cook and will be relying on canned food and rice, cake mixes, canned fruit,trail mix.

Favourite rice resipies are the simpler the better, I actually like plain rice and a little glee with a shake of Mr Gouda season salt.

Also like black beans and rice with curry spice a a teaspoon of glee. A little ketchup and pinch sugar and salt.
Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 6:24pm
Hi alll,
Fabulous recipes ---thanks so much
Be Well
slcmom View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 6:51am
You can also make a gravy with a boullion (beef or chicken) cube and a cup of water, a tsp of onion powder and a Tbps of flour.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly.  If you have some canned meat, you can include a little in the gravy mix.  This is also good over rice. 
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:33am
I tried the old fashioned rice pudding that oknut had instead of using milk I used evaporated milk and it was good and I also added raisins alsoThumbs Up
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 8:24pm
That rice pudding sounds good! Will have to try and make that in the solar cooker this week.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 8:53pm
Have really started to think through what I would make out of some of my preps if the bird flu hits cause I know I would be sick of beans and rice in no time.  Here's another recipe suggestion....  Shrimp creole over rice using canned shrimp, dehydrated bell pepper and onion (unless I still have fresh ones cause I have a good supply of fresh onion stored) and canned tomato products.

Also, sliced SPAM over scalloped potatoes is actually quite good. Add spam in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 6:48am
Check out this site:  www.hillbillyhousewife.  Tons of recipes, if you look under the homemade convenience foods, you'll find rice recipes which can be pre-packaged for storage.
Chrystle View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrystle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 8:50am
Chrystle
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:16am
Oops, sorry.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:46am
I was searching for recipes to make Yellow Rice and found a site with TONS of rice recipes

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 7:04pm

Oknut,

Thanks for that link!
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:04pm
This reicipe I took off another BF site.  I modified it to make it tasty...Wink

Bloody Mary Rice
12oz Bloody Mary mix
1 cup chix stock
1T Hot Sauce, I like Franks, Tobasco will suffice
8T butter
1T garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1c rice

Bring everything except rice to a boil.  Add rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes, or until rice is moist.

Now, the original recipe used water instead of stock.  And it also had 4 strips bacon, and 2 stalks celery.

This rice is easy, and excellent.  It was not nearly spicy enough for me, so I drizzled on more Franks on my plate, but the kids loved it with tacos.

I will use this dish as a side dish, and as a filler to enchiladas and tacos.

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:03pm
Rice is nice, but also consider stocking flour. 

You can make bread, cakes, cookies (comfort food is very important when you're stressed.)  It can be the shell of a pie or a quiche.  It becomes a tortilla, or a crepe. 

Just a thought!
K.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic