Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

When Boredom Sets In

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When Boredom Sets In
    Posted: March 23 2006 at 10:59am
If we're not sick through all this hopefully, I'm wondering what you have planned to do about boredom/stress if you're stuck inside the house.

We went through Hurricane Wilma and were without power and tap water for 7 days and most of those days without a phone connection. Plus we had my son and his family here. Beings no one was sick it was rather like camping out as no one could go to work/school.  A lot of our time was taken up with chores like clean up and daily living such as cooking, etc. We have a generator which helped immensely but you use up your gas if you constantly have it on. We did the usual with games and I loved the family meals and everyone here.

Just thought we could swap ideas on this.

It's fun to go through the family photos and laugh about old times. I didn't get my photos organized though even though I had the time, lol.

So any ideas?

Kari
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:25pm
We are avid readers (my husband and I) so I'm buying boatloads of books and my daughter is into all kinds of art and sewing.  My son is a stoner, so I'm making him get his own provisions, but I doubt if he'll be bored since he can spend hours staring at his walls......

We have three dogs, so I agree that a lot of time will be taken up with keeping the house and surrounding area clean.  But I plan to roll up and store all my area rugs (whole house has hard wood floors) and remove all decorative items from the house so I won't have to do much dusting and what/not. 

Naps are a good way to kill time. 

I think I'm pretty emotionally prepared for just a boring time with lots of housework and reading. 

Sex would be a fun way to pass the time, but with the kids home, not very realistic........

Oh well....

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:27pm
We went through several hurricanes and everyone would check out  twice the normal Library books before the hurricane hit. 

1.   Chores for everyone (as you mentioned)
2.   Meal routine was very important psychologically
3.   Short wave broadcast monitoring
4.   Privacy was very important  
5.   Reading the Bible, reading other materials out loud, asking kids 
      questions about  what they read
6.   Ask the kids how the experience could be improved next time- this   
      was  very productive
7.   Each person got to pick a group activity on their separate night- cards
      board games etc.
8.   We save two or three nonfunctional  devices- computers,        tvs, lawnmowers, and let the kids tear them apart and rebuild the parts to make whatever they want.
9.   Exercise was very important to the boys. They lifted weights, played pingpong and basketball.
10.  Surprisingly, the biggest hit was allowing the kids to plan their own meal from the supplies. They gave this a tremendous amount of thought.

Also, we gave each child their own 12 volt car battery and their own inverter so they could play Xbox, the computer or watch  a DVD when  we turned the generator off. You can make this for under $100, see under "Priority Preparations" the subheading "Electricity" on this website.

I just liked to sleep as much as possible. 
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:24pm
Very good list Jax thanks. 

We thought about the boys going stir crazy and got jump ropes and free weights.  Hadn't thought about some of the others. 
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:43pm
It's just hubby and I. I will spend any free time reading, crocheting, learning to knit, sewing, and working puzzle books. I have purchased some board games, card games, and regular decks of cards. Hubby enjoys working with leather so I'm going to purchase a few leather kits and tools for him to mess with. Maybe some models of some sort.

I really don't count on much free time because everything takes longer with no electricity and no running water. I've been there and done that.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:02pm
We to are planning to allow each person to plan the main meal.  To make it more interesting.  We've even thought of "theme days" based on geography.  Turning the scary news of flu outbreaks into geography lessons.

We are also big into drama nights.  The kids plan out the evening entertainment and it usually involves a dance performance, stand up comedy routine, and some sort of dramatic act, complete with costumes.  I imagine these might get more elaborate.

I also pick up some some cool retro type pieces with a bird theme to "make your own game".  I was planning on working on some foreign language (goes back to our theme day) and music practices. 

Word games are also popular in our house.  And we have thought about private time as well...a lot like JaxMax's list, a structure of chores/survivability tasks with other things to fill the time and give peace of mind.

I think variety will be the key.
Karianne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:02pm
You all have wonderful ideas!  I was just thinking of something like the drama night today.

I've found that the simplest things can be the most enjoyable. My job is doing childcare in my home and we have plenty of toys. Just going outside and throwing and kicking a big rubber ball was fun to do with my grandson. Tonight they came for dinner and grandson, grandpa and dad had a "snowball" fight of sorts with those soft fabric baby blocks. You could use rolled up socks though. We're planning to get a croquet set.

Round robin story telling would be fun or group singing. My husband has an acoustic guitar that he hasn't touched in years.

I have some sexy romance novels I have yet to read and if my son's family doesn't stay with us it will be just my husband and I so we could use that sex idea, lol. On the hurricane the year before we were alone and my husband took all the candles that we had been using because we had no electricity and put them all arond the bedroom. Very romantic and he surprised me and thought of it himself. I'm not usually a candle person so it was really special.

It would be a good time to clean out drawers or files too or do some cleaning and organizing. Maybe work on my scrapbooking project.

Kari
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:12am

I write in my spare time, so if I'm forced to stay home for weeks on end in a quarantine, I plan to use the time to write and distract myself from things.  Assuming I'm not sick, that is.

Also, I've recently bought some puzzle books (like Sudoku and word search types) in case the electricity goes out long-term.  B&N has a good selection.  They also have some of those magnetic puzzle books.
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 6:10am

We have a ton of board games and different card games.  We have puzzles for adults and kids.  We have young children so we have lots of playdough, paints, crayons, coloring books, construction paper, scissors/glue, paint-by-number books, teaching supplies, jars of bubbles, and balloons to blow up.  We have a lot of books to read, Goodwill is a great place to get books.  Cross-word puzzles and word find books.  The kids have all their usuall toys, but I did buy more blocks. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 6:16am
I am going to put together a daily routine...first thing we would be doing some exercises..if we are locked in would still need to stay in shape...I have collected games,puzzles well all of the above mentioned...I would get my kids to start a diary(journal) of happenings and how they feel about all of this...

I am hoping we will have one more spring or at least a couple of the warm months to gather more itmes...I love yard sales...that is were you can get the best bargains

I have stocked up at 20 decks of playing cards...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:49pm
There are a number of ways to spend time on your computer if the power is working, even if you have lost your internet access. I've downloaded several different games to try and purchased the ones I liked.

Jigsaw puzzles are something else you can stock up on and if you have power, you can piece together jigsaw puzzles on your computer. I really like this jigsaw puzzle software: http://www.brainsbreaker.com/. It allows me to use my own images to create puzzles to piece together. I've downloaded about 300 art and photo images from various sources online for that purpose so far and saved them to CD in case I lose internet access.

I also plan to  spend some time becoming more proficient in using non-leisure software I own, such as Paintshop Pro.

If you have a VCR or DVD recorder, you might want to consider saving certain television programs. There may be little new programming available during a pandemic or you may be cut off from cable service from time to time.

If power is cut off, an old manual typewriter might come in handy as a way to spend time. Just make sure the ink ribbon is still useable.

I have a piano and never got around to learning how to play it. So, learning to play it is something else on my list of ways I can spend my time with no power.
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 8:36pm
Thanks Irene what a great suggestion about the typewriter - I had not thought of that one - I will have to check the ribbon cartridges. LOL they are at least 20 years old so doubt they work!

A lot of my plans center around a 3-year old and how to keep him occupied and me sane. I realised that there are already a lot of things that I do. We are fortunate that we have a lot of different rooms tasked to different things (exercise room, computer room, craft room, train room, library, etc.) so my goal is to stay on a schedule and move from room to room. In our old house we had less rooms but we could have setup different areas that would accomplish the same thing. I also would continue my current practice of rotating out toys. I rotate several boxes of toys in and out and that helps to keep them "fresh".

We also have a screened in porch which will allow some outside time that is under cover. 

KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:31pm
Bored ?

Try to get some new hobby and relearn an old one.  I build model airplanes and ships. I also am big into books so I don't think we will need some more books. I got a series of WW2 books to read and Pocket guides to military equipment.  These guides are great because they cover almost every tank, plane, ship or gun ever used in combat. I enjoy spending hours listening to shortwave radio and I know how to get stations that most could not get.  I also have lots of other ways of using time. I have around 20 board games and I especially love military wargames.  I also intend on having at least one or two paint sets. I will enjoy my time in seculsion and intend on keeping busy with lots of stuff. Food prep and working out with free weights will help. 
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:33pm
  I'm sure i will sleep a lot after all the work of prepping.  After I rest up i will read a lot keep a daily journal, organize my pictures in scrapbooks, brush up on my spanish , I've bought lots of puzzels and board games for me and hubby.  Medidate a lot.  I plan to buy a typewriter thats a wonderful idea. I have 4 Tarot decks that i haven't had a chance to study yet.  I was thinking about getting a small protable keyboard and brush up on my rusty piano skills plus we have 3 dogs.  I think i will be quite busy in addition to the everyday routine of cleaning and meal preps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:35pm
Dance, lets all dance....!Hug  Nothing like shaky your booty to shake off the doldrums.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:40pm
Could play hide the wife's wedding ring....hours of entertainmet value....then the horror...then I sleep with the birdies. Ok maybe a bad idea. Variations may work though...
fastcard View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 2:53am

With teens, Keep video games running at all cost running .

We have games,lots of notebooks and drawing paper. We are buying books lots of books we would like to read in the future.
Cooking and baking,meal planning.  Maybe an air soft or pellet gun would be good to practice with, my son and I love plinking.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 6:51pm
I LOVE the dancing idea.....

My husband and I love to dance... even went to see Van Morrison in AC last fall, and boogied till we fell!

Plus, what a great chance to embarass the kids.... It's like a two for one winner! 

Thanks
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 6:52pm
We have book galore,cards and other games.
Siam
TJ108 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:06pm
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:33pm
TJ108~ I'm going ahead and posting the whole article. Thanks for posting it.

Avoiding Cabin Fever During a Bird Flu Pandemic

Lots of buzz in the news. What is it and why should you be worried about it? Avian influenza affects poultry and wild game birds. It is deadly to poultry and can be lethal in humans as well. The people who have contacted bird flu have been in close contact with infected birds. At this time it is not transmitted by human-to-human contact. But that is the key. If the virus changes and turns into a form that can be easily pass from person to person then there is the increased risk of a worldwide pandemic. We do not have immunity to this form of the flu and it can be deadly. It may be similar to the 1918 flu that killed millions around the world. If it starts to spread, life as we know it will change. Millions will become ill and millions will die around the world. This flu could last for months at a time and up to three years. More than likely schools would be closed, public events canceled, transportation shut down and travel severely limited. Meaning your only choice is to stay home with your family.

Now think about this for a minute. Imagine being at home with your family, you can't go out, stores are closed, the kids can't play with their friends, you can't travel, you can't go to work, you are at home 24/7 not for a few days, not for a few weeks but possibly several months. How would you survive without going stir crazy?

First, you will need to make a plan on what you will need to do during this time of a world flu pandemic. You will need to take inventory of what you have on hand and figure out how to make it last as long as possible. You will need to discuss with your family and especially children what is happening and what they will need to do. It may be very difficult to explain to them why they can't go out, why they can't play with friends, etc.

Your first priority would be to take care of any sick family members. You all may be sick or just a few of you may be sick. The sick would need to be isolated from other members of the family. Great care would need to be taken to avoid spreading the flu to other family members. Since hospitals will be overwhelmed you may have no choice but to stay home and try to recover.

You or your family may not have the energy to do much of anything if you have been sick. As time goes on and you recover then you need to start thinking about surviving until the all clear has been sounded and life gets back to normal, which could be months.

The stress and emotional drain of a pandemic will be overwhelming. Many people won't be able to cope. If you plan for it now, then you should be able to get through it ok.

Once everyone is feeling well, then it will be important to settle into a daily routine. Remember at this time you probably won't be going to work, schools will still be closed. You will be at home. A daily routine will help everyone cope. It may something as simple as starting with breakfast and planning your day. Just surviving on a daily basis may take up most of your time. Planning for sanitation issues, doing without heat or electricity, having enough fresh water and food. These could all be major issues to consider.

Children will probably need to be home schooled. Before schools close they may send home materials to help with that, otherwise plan on providing your own materials.

Plan on having plenty of reading material on hand. There may be electrical outages so watching tv all day or surfing the internet won't be an option. Portable radios, cd players, ipods, etc will help past the time. Having a laptop that can run off the battery can help you with home schooling, playing games, having reference materials on hand etc.

That exercise equipment you have never used may come in handy. Regaining your physical strength and keeping your body in shape will help keep your spirits up. Every member of the family should work out during the week, especially since you won't be able to go to health club or on your daily run.

Everyone will need their own space. Everyone should retreat to separate rooms for a few hours a day. Your sanity will depend on it.

Family time. As strange as it may sound, this could be an excellent time for quality family time- playing games, talking, listening to music, reading together, doing craft projects, making scrapbooks, etc.

You probably won't be able to do any home remodeling projects since stores will be closed. You may want to stock up materials you need before hand. But it may be a great time to clean and organize your home.

Meal times. If you have stocked your pantry with a 3-12 months supply of food, you should be ok. Many of the meals you now fix will be from scratch. You won't have access to prepackaged convenience foods or eating out. So planning you meals and fixing your meals may become a big part of your daily routine. Again it can be a family event, cooking and baking together or a different member of the family can take turns fixing different meals.

If there is power, then you will be able to watch tv, movies, etc. Stock up on your favorite dvd's. Keeping up on the news will also be important. We might revert back to the time when the family gathered around the radio to hear the nightly news broadcast. Having a shortwave radio will help you keep informed on what is happening in other parts of the world. Video games will also help keep kids occupied.

These are a few ideas to get you started thinking about an extended home stay during a pandemic crisis. You sanity, health, emotions, patience and core beliefs will all be tested during a crisis like a bird flu pandemic. If you start planning today you and your family will be in a far better position to survive for the duration of the flu pandemic
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:42pm
 i don't know about any body else, but up here in ct. if this hits in the winter and with no heat no electric, no water ,i' m going to be busier than a one arm bandit. just doing all the things to survive, it looks good on paper, but to really do this stuff is going to take alot of time ,and a long time without modern conviences and if any body,son ,daughter or extended family  in my house , thinks their going to sit on their  buttucks while i do it all ,they can eat oatmeal plain for ever, i'm not kidding, its time to grow up, and this is going to be alot of stress and hardship, that only afew people   on this forum can attest to,    if after all the work is done , i have stacks of books to read if theres any daylight left,   roxy
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:49pm
roxy~I couldn't agree more. Been there and done that.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:04pm
If I have power during the crisis, I intend to surf the news sites and print out information for later reading.  Not to mention, come here.  ;)

If not, I'll do the best I can with what I have. 
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:36pm
If you go to Big Lots or a discount store you can find books on CD and tape.  If each child has their own battery operated player you can circulate  the CDs so they can have some quiet time in ther rooms.  Or you can rotate the use of the player.  Some books of paper dolls might be good enterainment for smaller ones and the older ones might enjoy  building a crystal radio, helping to fix a meal or paint a room.  
Ironstone
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 7:56pm

Another idea is loading up on old westerns novels. my dad loves old novels.  If you are interested in ww2 books a timelife series on ww2 would be great. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 11:23am
I'm a terrible writer, but I am thinking about keeping a journal. If nothing else, it will help to keep me (somewhat) sane and help to process my emotions. We're both avid readers and hubby is a car-freak (toys) so he will do lots of tinkering. I do think we will not  have much free time, every chore is going to take a lot longer than it does now!
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 5:25pm
Wow, alot of great ideas posted here ... for mom & dads, for the teenage boys and girls, pre-adolescents, elementary kids, toddlers and babies.  That's quite alot of prepping to do as well ...

I know my DS loves his games and MP3, so I have to prep for that.  MY special DD (Down's) loves music and movies, that's more battery power.  The two college DDs, they tend to keep themselves busy with friends via cellphones and computer while at home - more batteries.  Well, that may be tough on them -  but I am glad to have taught them to do needlecrafts, to enjoy reading and to love music.  I don't think I have to work that hard to find stuff for them to do.

Puzzles work good for all of my family members, as do board games.  Scrapbooking and journaling is another one of our favorites, as well as doing models.  I'm a crafter, so I have that well covered Tongue, I just need to work on obtaining more books to read, music to play, word puzzles to do. 

We have a "gym" of sorts that we can work out on, DH will make sure of that!  The big problem will be how to "walk" the dog??!!  We may even have to put him on the treadmill as well!! LOL
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:23pm
I personally love computer games, and will sorely miss them if there's no electricity for a long period of time.  Just got Oblivion and have been playing it almost every day.

But I also am a bookworm and I write sometimes, so no power = plenty of reading time, if the situation isn't too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic