Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

SHTF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHTF
    Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:38pm
    I would like to start a movement.
SHTF and WTSHTF .....I am over it....its cornball.....highschool at best.....could we please stop using this ? PLEASE? how about it....burned out on a bad phrase. Not being PC....just tired of a tired saying....anyone else ready for it to go away?
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:53pm
It's a useful acronym, a catchphrase.  If you're tired of it, my suggestion, don't use it.  It's widely used by the prep oriented community and has been for years.  It's not going away anytime soon.

I believe what you're actually tired of is having to think about scenarios where basic processes and methods of daily life are no longer valid nor reliable.  This happens all the time, witness any hurricane to hit the gulf states in the last 100 years.  Food, water, retail, utilities, law & order - things we normally take for granted - suddenly unavailable.

I find that most people who initially accept the need for preparedness who "tire" of it or "burn out" do so simply because the more they study it, the larger the threat seems to loom, so that ultimately whatever response they can muster seems insufficient, hence, they give up.  Then the mind needs to rationalize away the threat to insignificance in order to maintain mental equilibrium.  Not a criticism, just an observation on behavior I've witnessed.

Of course, if you intended none of that, and simply meant we need a new acronym or catchphrase we'd love to hear your suggestions.  I have heard others like "when the balloon goes up" (a military expression? possibly from the days before radio comms?)  but what other phrases in comon usage are applicable?  Let's see if we get some good suggestions.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:33pm
When the birds hit the ground?  I admit it's very literal, but it gets the point across. 
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:54pm
 I don't think we should change the wording, people know what we mean when we say WTSHF 
Siam
Linda View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:03pm
I agree it is high school...unfortunately some can't think of anything but cussing and doing it in an acronym i s no better. Or maybe it has just become so acceptable in society that it is thought that it doesn't bother anyone. but we could try other phrases....when it happens....when nothing else matters....D-day (or in this case maybe B-day?)....when the time comes....when it comes down to it...the day of reckoning...oh well ...can't conrol what others say
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 9:25pm
Well, anything other than the acronym looses the connotation of what we mean.

Think about what will happen the moment that a pandemic ( a raising of the alert level) is declared.  Or when we have our first human case on our shores.

Panic in the streets doesn't even begin to express the public's reaction they way WTSHTF does.... well, that's my 2 cents anyway.

But then, I figure that Kev just wanted to stir the pot with a new something tonight and this was the first thing to come to his mind.

SZ
Fla_Medic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fla_Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 4:39am
As Bruss said, It's a useful acronym.

In 1980, during a violent thunderstorm in Tampa Bay, the cargo ship Summit Venture struck the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. The bridge collapsed. Thirty five people plunged to their deaths, many aboard a Greyhound bus that was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

To this day, the local media often refers to it as The Day the Ship Hit the Span.

Some things are universally understood.

kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 4:44am
its morning now. I still am tired of the phrase.
But then, I figure that Kev just wanted to stir the pot with a new something tonight and this was the first thing to come to his mind.
sorry not my intention....just speaking my mind. Not meant as an insult.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 4:54am
When  bird do hits the windsheild.... WBDHW
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 6:16am
I think the Board should add to the requirments of making a post.

NO WHINING!
RicheeRich View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicheeRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:25am
Okay, how about:

Anticiptated
Reaction of
Mass
Anarchy
Generated by
Extensive
Dissemination of
Disturbing or
Ominous
News

I guess we need something a bit shorter, huh?
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:56am
LOL
Siam
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:16pm
Clap that was a good one RicheeRich
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:58pm
Richeerich...I really dolike yours alot better...i would og through to many paper towels cleaning mine up....
kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:20pm
OK you all win
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:14pm
Kev you got any idea how long it took me to be able to type tshtf?

Please don't make me learn another one.
Don't blow your kids lunch money for things they may never need.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:17pm
It's funny but I have to say the words as I'm typing the acronym. I can't get it spelled out otherwise.Confused
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:25pm
One tired night I tried to right what I thought was a wrong....I now know that I was wrong....what works for others does not have to work for me....what feels comfortable to some may not to me. What can I say except when the SHTF I truley know where to go to get the info that will save my family. I stand corrected. Prep on.
tnbebo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:54pm

kev, I was just having fun, no offense meant by my post.

But it's true, I like to never figured out how to type it. I have to say it when typing it.
kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:06pm
tnbebo...none taken...I thought it was funny.....I have been visiting here for about 5 months (give or take) and post every so often. I am the type that believes in live and let live. Right now I am so burned out on thinking about the bird flu that I have stopped prepping....my family is happy about it and people at work are "happy for me"" that I have stopped spreading the word of BF. Secretly I know that I will get back on the wagon and prep again.....
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:16pm
I probably aint a true prepper, but can sit down and not leave here for awhile and still have plenty to get by on.
I never talk BF but here, we have so many things that could happen, other than BF, to be ready to sit tight for a few days, weeks or months is not a bad idea period.
kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:25pm
I agree.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:34pm
Kev, read my line below. I mean it.
Kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 4:30am
TNbebo408...sorry not sure what you mean by that? Are you are speaking of taking food out of the mouths of my kids to buy masks, weapons and other BF items....or game boy games etc? Don't try to give your kids so grand a life that you miss out on teaching them the basics of how to live a life that is right. How to treat people with , how to give....
kev View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 8:47am
TNbebo408.....I do understand.....very good point...right where I am at right now. Thanks!
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:50pm
For the more....um...sensitive, how about WIGH2H?  When it goes Human 2 Human.
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:28pm
Swanky, aint no way I can ever learn that one. I be in a mental unit first, oh no, here comes a rubber ambulance now.
Prof.Ferguson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof.Ferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 7:20am

Try this out this version of the old computer-related acronym"

WYSIWYG:

When
You're
Sick,
It (your current denial, govt., or fill in the _____________)
Won't save
You,
GET IT?????

Time's up. It's here. If you're not ready, you should have been - we all were warned.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 7:30am

Heh.  What you see is what you get is too ingrained in me mentally because I've done some web development work.  Maybe it would work for non-geeks, who knows?

Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 9:03am
I like B-Day for WTSHTF. Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:08am
    Oh my God this is so high school!! I feel like we are passing notes back and forth in first hour! We are all a bunch of nerds!!!!!
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 9:32am
I refer to it as "The Event".
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Fla_Medic Fla_Medic wrote:

To this day, the local media often refers to it as The Day the Ship Hit the Span.

Some things are universally understood.

It must be a mistake in the translation...
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
caver View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:51am

How about this? Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic