Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Stove - Event Date: March 31 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Stove
    Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:42pm
Help. I have a propane grill, but heard that it is a good idea to have more than one way to cook, since cooking is so important.
Checked out Coleman stoves and was thinking since we have propane it might be good to go with the gas stove rather than propane. Read that the white gas works better in cold weather, where as the propane is not as good.
My main thought is that if we get the dual fuel stove (uses white gas or gasoline) we can use the white gas in a can and when it runs out we can syphon gas from our cars, which should be filled with gas since we aren't planning on going anywhere.

Have a coupon for 20% off one item at REI store that expires tomorrow so was planning on getting it tonight . Please let me know any flaws in thinking that any of you might have on this.

Strider View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:58pm
Oops, obviously not an event, just a newbie trying to figure out how to post something. Sorry.
phoenixrising View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:14pm

Coleman makes a dual fuel stove that uses propane & unleaded gasoline.  Also, there's butane backpack burners that actually are the same size or larger than the largest burner on a gas range.  In addition, if you have a fire place, you could  purchase a kit to harvest the heat for cooking.  It's like a shelf with holes to allow oxygen to feed the fire.  Then there's natural gas stoves that should work even with an electric pilot--use a match to light the pilot.  Not as cost efficient are gel burners and chafing pots that use a variety of alcohol & other fuels in liquid or gel form.  Lastly, good old charcoal grills and charcoal.

I have a foldable, table top propane grill I purchased at Lowes, a butane backpack burner, a charcoal grill, a chafing dish with 6-hour gel cans, and a homemade solar cooker.

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:33pm
Strider, not one thing wrong with coleman gas stoves, I have one that is fifty years old and works fine.

I have cooked on it, melted lead for fishing sinkers, lead to pour battery posts on dozer batteries, about anything you can imagine.
Don't blow your kids lunch money for things they may never need.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:57pm
I do have a fondue pot and could use that in an absolute emergency to heat water, though it would be an awfully small amount.  But it's better than nothing.  At least I could have warm soup instead of cold soup.

I tried a Sterno stove, but it's not for me.  I'm still keeping the folding stove though, you just never know.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 4:22pm
If you have a yard, keep in mind that you can build a fire pit (just a small one will do), surround it with rocks, but some heavy duty mesh on top, and you can cook on that. 
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by asatrape asatrape wrote:

If you have a yard, keep in mind that you can build a fire pit (just a small one will do), surround it with rocks, but some heavy duty mesh on top, and you can cook on that. 

In our neighborhood, there is nothing to burn, unless I take down my neigbor's fence and burn that.  LOL.
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:54pm
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=4552
I just got my kerosene stove from Lehmans.  I haven't used it yet, but have heard nothing but good things about them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic