Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

UT Professor Says Death Is Imminent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UT Professor Says Death Is Imminent
    Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:22pm
There are many of our current "Intellectual Elite" that believe that most of us should die. This is mind blowing. If reading this does not scare you, nothing will. These are the people that create and experiment with these different deadly bugs.

Link to the article posted below from the Drudge Report.

http://story.seguingazette.com/drudge.html

Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:25pm
Drudge Report says it all, bullsh*t. If you are getting info from that site, you will remain ill informed.

In fact go here and see Drudges infamous "facts"

"facts of Drudge"
It's always the lowest common denominator.
corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:27pm
Rainbow Six??????
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:32pm
Citizen, if you simply dont like Drudge, then go to the papers website and look at the article there.

http://www.seguingazette.com/

Then you will not be influenced by any particular prejudice.
Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:34pm
Text of the article posted below.   

The Seguin Gazette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UT professor says death is imminent

By Jamie Mobley
The Gazette-Enterprise

Published April 2, 2006

AUSTIN - A University of Texas professor says the Earth would be better off with 90 percent of the human population dead.

"Every one of you who gets to survive has to bury nine," Eric Pianka cautioned students and guests at St. Edward's University on Friday. Pianka's words are part of what he calls his "doomsday talk" - a 45-minute presentation outlining humanity's ecological misdeeds and Pianka's predictions about how nature, or perhaps humans themselves, will exterminate all but a fraction of civilization.

Though his statements are admittedly bold, he's not without abundant advocates. But what may set this revered biologist apart from other doomsday soothsayers is this: Humanity's collapse is a notion he embraces.

Indeed, his words deal, very literally, on a life-and-death scale, yet he smiles and jokes candidly throughout the lecture. Disseminating a message many would call morbid, Pianka's warnings are centered upon awareness rather than fear.

"This is really an exciting time," he said Friday amid warnings of apocalypse, destruction and disease. Only minutes earlier he declared, "Death. This is what awaits us all. Death." Reflecting on the so-called Ancient Chinese Curse, "May you live in interesting times," he wore, surprisingly, a smile.

So what's at the heart of Pianka's claim?

6.5 billion humans is too many.

In his estimation, "We've grown fat, apathetic and miserable," all the while leaving the planet parched.

The solution?

A 90 percent reduction.

That's 5.8 billion lives - lives he says are turning the planet into "fat, human biomass." He points to an 85 percent swell in the population during the last 25 years and insists civilization is on the brink of its downfall - likely at the hand of widespread disease.

"[Disease] will control the scourge of humanity," Pianka said. "We're looking forward to a huge collapse."

But don't tell local "citizen scientist" Forrest Mims to quietly swallow Pianka's call to awareness. Mims says it's an "abhorrent death wish" and contends he has "no choice but to take a stand."

Mims attended the educator's doomsday presentation at the Texas Academy of Science's annual meeting March 2-4. There, the organization honored Pianka as its 2006 Distinguished Texas Scientist - another issue Mims vocally opposes.

"This guy is a loose cannon to believe that worldwide genocide is the only answer," said Mims, who filed two formal petitions with the academy following the meeting.

Joining the crusade, James Pitts, who recieved a Ph.D. in physics from UT-Austin, became the second to publicly chastise Pianka when he filed a complaint Saturday with the UT board of regents. He insists a state university is no place to disseminate such views.

He writes:

"Pianka's message does not fall within the realm of his professional competence as a biologist, because it is a normative claim, not a descriptive one. Pianka is encouraged to use his ecological expertise to predict the likely consequences of certain technological and reproductive strategies, but to evaluate some as good, bad, or worthy of prevention by genocide is the realm of philosophy or political science, not science. His message falls no more within his professional competence than it would for a physicist to teach religion in class or a musician to encourage racism."

But Pianka, a 38-year UT educator, maintains he's not campaigning for genocide. He likens mankind's story to an unbridled party on a luxury cruise liner. The fun's going strong on the upper deck, he says. But as crowds blindly absorb the festivities, many fail to notice the ship is sinking.

"The biggest enemy we face is anthropocentrism," he said, describing the belief system in which humans are the central element of the universe. "This is that common attitude that everything on this Earth was put here for [human] use."

To Pianka, a human life is no more valuable than any other - a lizard, a bison, a rhino. And as humans reproduce, the demand for resources like food, water and energy becomes more than the Earth can sustain, he says.

Ken Wilkins, a Baylor University biology professor and associate dean, agrees the inevitability of a crashing point is unarguable.

"The human population is growing," he said. "We will see a point when we reach the carrying capacity - there aren't enough resources."

But resources aren't the only threat, Pianka says. It's the Ebola virus he deems most capable of wide scale decimation.

"Humans are so dense (in population) that they constitute a perfect substrate for an epidemic," he says.

He contends Ebola is merely an evolutionary step away from escaping the confines of Africa. And should an outbreak occur, Pianka assuredly says humanity will quickly come to a "grinding halt."

The professor's not the only one who can articulate this concept. Because Pianka includes his doomsday material in his coursework, Ebola and its potential play a notable role in some students' studies. A syllabus for one course reads:

"Although [Ebola Zaire] Kills 9 out of 10 people, outbreaks have so far been unable to become epidemics because they are currently spread only by direct physical contact with infected blood. However, a closely-related virus that kills monkeys, Ebola Reston, is airborne, and it is only a matter of time until Ebola Zaire evolves the capacity to be airborne."

It is here that some say Pianka ventures from provocative food for thought to, as Wilkins said, "very extreme material" that violate many people's views - including his own - about the treatment of human life. While many praise Pianka's boldness and scientific know-how, others say he crosses an ethical line in his treatment of Ebola's viability as a killer.

In an evaluation of Pianka's course - performed anonymously in keeping with university policy - one student offered:

"Though I agree that conservation biology is of utmost importance to the world, I do not think that preaching that 90 percent of the human population should die of Ebola is the most effective means of encouraging conservation awareness."

Mims says he's seen countless doomsday predictions come and go. But Pianka's is different, Mims said. Pianka, he insists, exhibits genuine cause for alarm.

Mims worries fertile young minds with a thirst for knowledge may develop into enthusiastic supporters of a deadly disease, advocating the fall of humanity.

"He recommended airborne Ebola as an ideal killing virus," Mims said. "He showed slides of the Four Horsemen of the apocalypse and human skulls. He joked about requiring universal sterilization. It reminded me of a futuristic science fiction movie with a crazed scientist planning the death of humanity."

But as confident as Mims is in his assessment, he faces one unarguable fact: Most of Pianka's former students are bursting with praise. Their in-class evaluations celebrate his ideas with words like "the most incredible class I ever had" and "Pianka is a GOD!"

Mims counters their ovation with the story of a Texas Lutheran University student who attended the Academy of Science lecture. Brenna McConnell, a biology senior, said she and others in the audience "had not thought seriously about overpopulation issues and a feasible solution prior to the meeting." But though McConnell arrived at the event with little to say on the issue, she returned to Seguin with a whole new outlook.

An entry to her online blog captures her initial response to what's become a new conviction:

"[Pianka is] a radical thinker, that one!" she wrote. "I mean, he's basically advocating for the death for all but 10 percent of the current population. And at the risk of sounding just as radical, I think he's right."

Today, she maintains the Earth is in dire straits. And though she's decided Ebola isn't the answer, she's still considering other deadly viruses that might take its place in the equation.

"Maybe I just see the virus as inevitable because it's the easiest answer to this problem of overpopulation," she said.

Though listeners like McConnell may walk away with a deadly message, Pianka maintains this is inconsistent with his lecture. One UT official said Pianka is likely well within his rights as a tenured educator.

The 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure - a set of guidelines recognized nationwide - guarantees college professors vast classroom liberties. But Neal Armstrong, vice provost for faculty affairs at UT, said even this freedom is not without limits.

"Faculty members have the right of free speech like anyone else," he said. "In the classroom, they're free to express their views. There is the expectation, though, that in public - especially when speaking on controversial topics - they must make every effort to be clear that they are not speaking on behalf of the university."

Students should be able to discern on their own the validity of views like Pianka's, Armstrong said. But if allegations of Pianka actively advocating human death were to be confirmed, he said "there might be some discussion about the appropriateness of that subject."

"I would hope that's not what's intended," he said. "I don't think that's appropriate for the classroom, but that's my personal statement."

Robert K. Jansen, chair of the section of integrated biology under which Pianka is classified, said his understanding of the doomsday material left no cause for concern.

"It's important for students to get all opinions, and they have to do that on a daily basis," he said. To hold a classroom's attention, Jansen says educators must often "speak their mind" in a fashion bold enough to garner a bit of shock.

The Texas Academy of Science uses a similar approach in defending its decision to honor Pianka with the Distinguished Scientist award. Though TAS offered no direct comment to the Gazette-Enterprise, an email sent from TAS President David Marsh to Mims in response to Mims first letter of protest reads:

"We select the DTS speaker based on his/her academic credentials and contributions to science. We do not mandate the subject he/she decides to address, nor will we ever. I would suggest that one of the purposes of any such presentation is to stimulate discussion - which indeed it did."

In his petitions, Mims inquires about the group's stance on Pianka's talk, asking if the recent honor should be interpreted as an endorsement by TAS. Marsh responded firmly, saying the award does not represent any formal backing of Pianka's ideas.

But despite the academy's flat denial of any wrongdoing, Mims maintains his stance. He said thus far, he's seen no response to the second petition.

"I completely agree with one assertion made several times by Dr. Pianka: ‘The public is not ready to hear that he hopes 90 percent of them will be exterminated by disease,'" Mims said.

McConnell said the TAS audience, unlike Mims, was in awe of Pianka's words. They offered a standing ovation, and enthusiastically applauded Pianka's position, Mims said.

"There was a good deal of shock and just plain astonishment at what he had to say," the student said. "Not many folk come out and talk about the end of the human population in as candid of a manner as he did. Dr. Pianka received a standing ovation at the end of his talk, if that says anything. What he had to say was radical, no question about it, but that is not to say that at least some of what he had to say is not true."

Though Pianka turned down requests for a sit-down interview, he maintains he is not advocating human death.

Does he believe nature will bring about this promised devastation? Or is humanity's own dissemination of a deadly virus the only answer? And more importantly, is this the motive behind his talks?

Responding to these very questions, Pianka said, "Good terrorists would be taking [Ebola Roaston and Ebola Zaire] so that they had microbes they could let loose on the Earth that would kill 90 percent of people."

As of press time, Pitts - who sent his appeal via email Saturday - had received no response from the university, but he says, "It's too early for any responses to have been made." Meanwhile, Pianka urges humanity to heed his call to be prepared, saying "we're going to be hunters and gatherers again real soon."

"This is gonna happen in your lifetime," he told his St. Edward's audience. "Do you wanna go there? We've already gone there. We waited too long."

Read more about Pianka by visiting his lab page at: uts.cc.utexas.edu/~varanus/

Read more about Forrest Mims at:

www.forrestmims.org or visit the Citizen Scientist at http://www.sas.org/tcs/index.html

Editor's note: A correction was made to this story to reflect that while Pitts got his Ph.D. from the university, he is not a professor there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2006 The Seguin Gazette-Enterprise
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:38pm
Hmm CV, like your lead of: "There are many of our current "Intellectual Elite" that believe that most of us should die."

Don't forget, our "Intellectual Elite" are the ones on the front line of H5N1. Typical straw man argument of "there are many who profess...". I'm sure your Dr. and local hospital are hoping for your community to get wiped out by a pandemic, get friggin real.

chargingbear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:44pm
>"He recommended airborne Ebola as an ideal killing virus,"<

airborne Ebloa

may just do it incubation  period is fair around
2-21 days need a least a week or two to do a more complete job fro sure speading around the masses.
bird flu has got also that longer
incubation period..

http://microvet.arizona.edu/Courses/MIC419/VaccProp05html/Ebola.html
>
The incubation is 2-21 days (CDC 2004). Severe symptoms usually appear around 4-6 days<
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:48pm
Citizen, when I referred to "Intellectual Elite" I absoulutely did not mean educated people, or the educated professional. The "intellectual Elite" that I am referring to are those that consider themselves as such.

People who believe that they know what is best for everyone else, the planet, the government, etc., however they themselves are excluded based on their status.

"Intellectual Elite" as I was referring to it is an attitude, not a profession.

If you can read the article and still not understand, then I apologize for the confusion that I have caused you.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:04pm
The human species is definitely in overshoot.  We have exceeded the capacity of our environment to sustain us.  Only the fact that we are milking accumulated resources has permitted us to achieve this degree of overshoot.

I do not know what the solution is.  However, I do know that we need to choose one, or Nature will do the choosing for us.

I rather fear it will be the latter.
nikita View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:29pm
Sounds like a scientist expressing opinions - hopefully he doesn't go out and start spreading a virus because he/she thinks it's time to be done.  Reminds me of 12 Monkeys. 

We are overdue for a pandemic, it's going to happen.  I think I'd rather have bird flu than ebola.  Are we allowed to pick with pandemic???  That would be swell.
Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:37pm
I vastly prefer the professor's honesty and clarity about what is meant by various code phrases tossed about by some of the more prevalent politcal factions these days, especially by people who profess a "culture of life". He is simply spelling out the actual result of the current expression of political atitudes prevalent in Wahington now.  I regularly hear many of the people who use the term "Intellectual Elite" in the manner above also use terms like "let nature take its course". Its obvious these people don't give much thought to the end result of their world view, which is what the professor is elucidating.    Well, killing off 90% of the population when the ecology is overloaded IS NATURE'S COURSE!  And its not real selective when nature does that. In just one of the many areas of world problems, it doesn't work to say "well, people could get healthcare if they worked hard enough", because if a new disease emerges from a population with no healthcare, its not gonna check your political viewpoint ("oh I worked HARD, I don't deserve BF or Ebola- go away!").  The diseases that brew in poor populations anywhere in the world, whether they WON'T or CAN'T get healthcare, will affect everyone at some point. (as well as the ones that brew in major corporate farm practices that ruin the use of antibiotics, brew new pests and pestulance - those corporations gonna foot that bill? Can you spell "bankruptcy with golden parachutes?). And when you lose the cheap labor and cheap resources enabled by poor and desperate populations that make countries like the USA operate lavishly in what I call a "careless" fashion, your gonna have some problems too.  When you use resources beyond their replacement ability, you are going eventually driving into a brick wall.  If "capitalism", as currently practiced, does not take ALL of the costs of certain practices into account (and I don't see that it does the way we do it now),   it will go the way of the dodo when those unpaid costs come to collect. 

And that may be this professor's point.  He gets a whole lot more publicity than your usual environmentalist or liberal by talking about what needs to happen, whether we choose it or not, to make things keep going for us.

Let's be clear about what we are doing.  World genocide is the RESULT of what we are doing.  That is the choice we've made. Like an alcoholic in denial, clarity can be helpful.
Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:42pm
BTW, factory animal farms regularly "create and experiment with" deadly bugs. I have more confidence in the "intellectual elite" people who are doing it intentionally to understand them than these entities that are doing it accidentally.
Dave
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:14pm
Well, its seems that most people agree with the professor,

"Responding to these very questions, Pianka said, "Good terrorists would be taking [Ebola Roaston and Ebola Zaire] so that they had microbes they could let loose on the Earth that would kill 90 percent of people."

I cant believe that I am the only person in this post who thinks that this is a bad thing for a university professor to be teaching our children.

pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:47pm
I agree with you, in that, if this ebola event happened naturally, without any intrusion on man's part, then we should talk about it all day long.  But when Dr. Pianka starts talking about the event as a man-made, nefariously manufactured event, then I start to wonder about his motives.  And the hair stands up on the back of my neck.  However, I totally agree with his basic premise about what over-population has done to our planet.
jpc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:55pm
Well, it looks like he has not been the only one thinking about making ebola more contagious

Disapprove
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:00pm
Kooks like this one scare the hell out of me.  All it takes is one idiot with half an idea and it is all over.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:35pm
I must say, I get some amusement from the reactions to publishing ideas or pictures of warplanes/war-concepts/biological-warfare etc. is something bad to mention to ("teach") our children.  These ideas are so commonplace and well known among defenders and aggressors alike, and just anyone with imagination that if all professors, newspapers, politicians stopped mentioning it, that the only thing to decrease would be what scraps of rational consideration remains about these topics.  Wiping out populations with biologicals was an idea suggested in the USA in the 1700's when smallpox blankets were to deliberately distributed to the native americans.  I doubt the general required "teachers" to come up with the idea.

BTW, once a person reaches 18, she's no longer a "children", she's an adult (if a person can life in prison or the death penalty for their actions, or get drafted, they have a right to every aspect of being an adult.) If a person is in college, it's time to see the world and all its ideas, like it or not. 

Regarding "good terrorists" making Ebola, etc into weapons ("the poor man's nuclear bomb"), this is way old hat, led, of course, by the superpowers.  Some links follow:

"Anthrax, smallpox, ebola virus - Ken Alibek spent his life turning them into weapons. Now this former Soviet officer is breaking his silence to issue a warning about germ warfare. Interview by James Langton. "

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/bw/index.html  Is fun reading to keep you up at night.

During the Middle Ages, victims of the bubonic plague were used for biological attacks, often by flinging their corpses and excrement over castle walls using catapults. The last known incident of using plague corpses for biological warfare occurred in 1710, when Russian forces attacked the Swedes by flinging plague-infected corpses over the city walls of Reval (Tallinn).

In response to suspected biological weapons development in Germany and Japan, the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada initiated a BW development program in 1941 that resulted in the weaponization of anthrax, brucellosis, and botulinum toxin. The center for U.S. military BW research was Fort Detrick, Maryland. Some biological and chemical weapons research was also conducted at "Dugway Proving Grounds" in Utah. Research carried out in the United Kingdom during World War II left Gruinard island in Scotland contaminated with anthrax for the next 48 years.

Considerable research on the topic was performed by the United States, the Soviet Union (see Biopreparat), and probably other major nations throughout the Cold War era, though it is generally believed that such weapons were never used. This view was challenged by China and North Korea, who accused the United States of large-scale field testing of biological weapons against them during the Korean War (1950-1953). Their accusation is substantiated by Stephen Endicott and Edward Hagerman in 'The United States and Biological Warfare: secrets of the early Cold War and Korea' (Bloomington, Indiana University Press, 1998).
Dave
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:55pm
The intellectual elite that the discussion is talking about is the same crowd that at one time advocated eugenic sterlization of blacks, poor whites, the disabled and other minorities.  The eugenicists were the harbinbers of the third Reich and nazism. I know what the " perfect world means " It means a world without me, my girlfriend and millions of disabled people.  I will not be silenced nor will I ever go willingly to the grim reaper. i have an moral, social and religious obligation to fight for my life as if it was the very last breath.  My voice will carry thru the ages as a condemation of the amoral, utilitarian , humanist and devaluation of human life that  this thread implies. we have value , worth, dignity and a soul. 
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:18pm
Fiddler, as you seem to agree with the premise of the discussion, perhaps you will share with us who is the 90% that should be eliminated?

Is it you and your family, or just everyone else who simply does not understand how you and others want to "save the world"?     
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:22pm
BTW, Hitler wanted to "Save the World" from the onslaught of the "Jewish Hordes" also. I suspect that at this point in the discussion, anything is possible for some people.    
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:13pm
Why we have someone like this teaching in our universities is beyond me... we have enough security risks in our universities and research labs without some wako giving students and researches visiting from other country's ideas.

I may write a letter to complain. 

Obituary ~ He is not dead yet and has written this

He did write a nice article about horned lizards... wish I had found it in 3rd grade. http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~varanus/phryno.htm

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:19pm
Hang in there CV.  You are not alone.
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:28pm
This guy may have all the personality of a wad of bubble gum on the bottom of your boot, but the sad reality is that we are always teetering on the edge of the microscopic wars, and guess what, sometimes, the bugs win.  What changes things is that we, as humans, have the power to think, reason, plan and prepare at all levels--and we are.  Maybe not fast enough to save everyone,  but I buy into Faulkner's thesis that even at the end of days, there will be one lonely human voice out there (probably b*tching because he can't get real wasabi anymore).

But I agree--professor turd is a waste of taxpayer dollars.
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:29pm
Doesn't Dr Eric Pianka understand that he is giving the terrorists ammo when he explains that Ebola would be the best way to reduce the earth to 10% of it's current population?

You would think that he would know better.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:41pm
Dangerous stuff. This one has a big ego I think. We got a Uni lecturer at leeds University saying all sorts of bad stuff about race at the moment. Just been suspended. Hopefully for good. Similar circumstances as well. Lectures on Russian Language but announces racist comments I wont go into here. How do they get their positions and their funding?

'Intellectual Elite' is a contentious term. It can be taken either way. My advise for what it is worth is to avoid it.
HD, part of the intellectual elite (not really)

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:00pm

Let me be clear: I am sure Pianka is not truly advocating his proposals - he's trying to get people to grapple with the results of our ongoing  actions.  My point is that this professor is saying overtly that what IS BEING DONE NOW COVERTLY, made to smell pretty with code words, and thru neglect.  His point IS  his "predictions about how nature, or perhaps humans themselves, will exterminate all but a fraction of civilization".  This is what we are doing now.  As we have gained the numbers and ability to change the very makeup of the planet and the life on it (and I am not talking current and future bio-engineering, I mean huge concentrations of living beings (million-chicken chicken farms, permanent refugee camps of 500,000 people and cities occupied without planning for known waste and disease control methods (breeding grounds for super-organisms), leveling mountains, filling water-ways with powerful, long lasting organic hormones and chemicals, changing the very makeup of the atmosphere, so much else, there are clearly foreseeable consequences which are being ignored.

MY POINT is that what is being proposed, advocated and done by many in power now with many policies, including "Let nature takes its course", with the sick, disabled, prisoners, people in 3rd world countries with no resources or displaced by various high and low level conflicts, super-power countries' maneuverings, "collateral damage" etc.  is producing the result Pianka is describing.  I am in NO WAY advocating that result. The planet certainly COULD hold twice as many people as it does now, happy, healthy with good standards of living and a good planetary ecology, and I would love to see it.   But just about nothing that would accomplish that end is happening!

Pianka is saying we should face the consequences of the choices being made. WE ARE ALREADY NOW SETTING THE STAGE TO KILL 90% OF THE HUMAN RACE! His educational point is, since we are doing this, it would be honest to choose the method of our suicide. Who chooses? "The eugenicists were the harbingers of the third Reich and nazism". And my point is the "Let nature takes its course", so-called "conservatives" of today say the same thing. I hear the "nature" quote constantly from conservative commentators, from on this site, in churches, and in the most unholy experience of my life, from my girlfrend's father, on Christmas Day (her 3rd visit to him since childhood on the advice of a counselor), in her presence, stating that with people who cannot take care of themselves, "Nature should take its course". Given that my girlfriend is completely disabled, in part because this so-called "man" provided no support for his children after the first couple of years so when Easter Seals finally paid for some corrective surgery, it was way late to be of good benefit to her. I guess it was a good thing from the prevalent political view because he put the "savings" from not supporting his children to good use - he resides on a 6 million dollar ranchette in San Diego, with a private airplane and hangar, and is in one of the top tiers of contributers to "conservative" political campaigns and his evangelical church and advocates strongly that corporations, powerful interests (and, apparently, deadbeat dads) should be free from rules and regulations.  Add to that the constant refrain of "You can't depend on the government for anything", even tho it has sucked up over a trillion dollars for the military, homeland "security" and corporate welfare, in the last two years to accomplish nothing I see except to advise us to put tuna fish and powdered milk under the bed and, oh yea, to remind us "You can't depend on the government for anything".  (Hmm, a few well connected companies do seem able to count on over 100 billion a year in government contracts, but never mind that.) 

So, the elephant is in the room, and IF WE DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, its going to step on 9 out of 10 people.  Pianka is trying to  illustrate the possible actions if we don't get rid of the elephant. The exercise of picking which or how of the 9 of 10 to die might, (he hopes) lead to the alternative concept of instead DEALING WITH THE ELEPHANT.  But, for the most part, people are just pretending its not there, hoping they are the one that makes it,and wanting to shoot the messenger (Pianka).

Bruss01 so aptly said earlier "However, I do know that we need to choose one [solution], or Nature will do the choosing for us."  I see the same in this forum, as a group, we are working hard to make it so each of us can survive in the coming chaos.  But it would be nice not to have the chaos at all, and it would be good to put some energy into that solution as well - avoiding the pandemic in the first place by whatever it would take (better animal farming methods? better disease research, prevention, ongoing vacine devlopment and infrastructure? technolgy for EVERYONE to have clean water inexpensively? How is it paid for? What if someone won't cooperate? Should we invade countries to enforce clean habits as well as democracy?).  At this point, its probably too late for THIS pandemic, but there's more in the wings.

Dave
outlaw View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:10pm
Fiddler, Pianka is a certifiable loon. What he said is not nuance. Got to his website. Read his core belief statement. He is called r. Doom for a reason.

No amount of intellectual posturing will change the fact that this guy is a crank loon.
No matter where you go.....there you are....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:34pm
This is our crank loon outlaw:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4838498.stm

'...A lecturer who suggested ethnicity could influence average intelligence levels has been suspended from his job...'

HD
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:51pm
Finally, somebody read the article and did some research.    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:17pm
I AGREE WITH THIS FEEDBACK:

'...However, I totally agree with his basic premise about what over-population has done to our planet...'

HD
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:01pm

The link from Harp  (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4838498.stm ) refers to Dr. Frank Ellis at Leeds university, who sounds like a racist idiot.  His inclusion in a discussion about Pianka, who made no racist statements at all, mades no sense. 

I also am confused by Outlaw's reference to Pianka's "core belief statement" on his website?  Got a link for that? And quote what makes him a loon there? I have uts.cc.utexas.edu/~varanus/.

Mims really needs to get a sense of sarcasm and irony, at least in others.  I'd hate to see him talk about a Robin Williams speech to college students.  "Robin Williams use of the 'Nanu, Nanu' greeting from Mork and Mindy is a hint to terrorists on how to encode secrets in nonsense words.  They never would have thought of that on their own."
Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:17am
There are a lot of the worlds "elite" that think there should be no more than a few hundred million. Some have advocated that the pop. be reduced. Who's to say bird flu wasn't man made? 50% death rate, spread all over the world by birds, no vaccine, started in a third world country so it can't be blamed on someone else......perfect weapon.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 2:00am
I'm not supporting this Dr's view that 90% of the planet's population should be wiped out, but I do worry about the effects of over population on our planet.

Yesterday, I heard on the discovery channel news that one third of the coral reefs in the Carribean are dead. It was blamed on the global warming.

Maybe the planet in a desperate attempt to protect itself, is trying to rid itself of us?
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:34am
Originally posted by CitizenBlue CitizenBlue wrote:

Drudge Report says it all, bullsh*t. If you are getting info from that site, you will remain ill informed.

In fact go here and see Drudges infamous "facts"

"facts of Drudge"

But lemme guess, you revere Dan Rather.....
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:36am
Good Job CV, you smeared a scientist (not an intellectual elitist) and may have contributed to death threats made against him. Hope your paranoia about science and “scientific elite” don’t stop you from getting medical attention if a pandemic hits. Like I posted yesterday, “Drudge Report says it all, bullsh*t. If you are getting info from that site, you will remain ill informed.” Let me just add that Drudge has posted on numerous occasions that the HIV pandemic is a good thing.

Pianka says several times that Mims (org. source for Druge) is a “crazy kook” that “distorted and changed everything I said.” The death threats that have flooded Pianka and the Texas Academy of Sciences are also a nice touch.

his twin theses that (1) a population crash is coming and (2) a disease (not Ebola, says Pianka) will do it are both highly debatable (my own view is that population is leveling off as birthrates decline due to education, and that highly virulent diseases are more likely to burn themselves out than take out the majority of the population), but these are matters to debate scientifically

There is no way to get from that to saying, as Mims and hundreds of braindead, credulous moonbats did, that Pianka advocates genocide and that several hundred scientists at the Texas Academy of Sciences applauded him for it.

Swankyc

“But lemme guess, you revere Dan Rather.....”

Yep, thought he was a good anchor. Now let me guess: you hate Dan Rather for the President and VP avoiding Vietnam…

spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:34am
I happened to find the article mildly offensive but I agree with the theory.  We have over populated our eco systems maximum sustainable capacity and the natural order of things is cyclic.  I think the arguement is subjective to people who won't or can not understand the content of the article.  What I find offensive is the point to which those involed in publishing this article judge themselves as intullectual superiors.  Or at least that is what I took from the opinion side of the article.  The fact side of the article is actually enriching and different.  I was kind of tickled at the thought of someone smiling at themselves while putting these thoughts on paper.  I laughed out loud while reading this article.  Chicken Little says the sky is falling and we are all doomed... he he. 
Lee2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:17am
I don't know about all the Rather blather but  - in the article it states that Pianka had the cameras and recording equipment turned off.  Is this true - then why?  Isn't it pretty usual to record a scientific address - certainly made by one as imminent as Pianka?  What are the true facts here?

And even if Mims is a little hysterical about what he thought he saw and heard - why is Pianka known as Dr Doom?  Not a human friendly term...

I also get the impression that there are a lot of intellectual types (talk to some alot) that think they are above it all - and come to some really harsh decisions affecting the great unwashed - and they decide who is who.  Not  a very comforting thought.

I don't think people, no matter how smart or gifted, should decide to play God with other people's lives. That way we won't have some replay of the Third Reich! 

So if Pianka was just  playing "what if" and then intellectually running with it to find a sure method of death - OK I can see that.  But he should also be making it clear that this would NEVER DO!  It wouldn't be good for mankind on any level of morality.  So - LET NATURE DO WHAT IT WILL - in that we, humans, cannot stop it.  IE: no one can really control nature or BF.  Then we won't have to bear the sorrow and guilt more than we would anyway.  And believe me - there will be a lot of sorrow and survivors' guilt if such a thing as we all fear comes to pass!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:21am
Lee,

He has made it point that he is NOT avocating such a position on pandemic population control. As far as intellectual types, they are just like you and me. In fact most are very receptive to the "unwashed" (to use your phrase) most of his studies are geared to avoiding a massive die off of the "unwashed". As for the Dr. Doom tag, why do you think the media and sites like Drudge use that description? I believe they use it to create sensation to sell publications and ad space. Finally, as for the cameras and recording equipment turned off, consider the source. This guy has been giving lectures, presentations, and interviews for twenty years and Mims "just" discovered him? Please, it is all part of the war on science and colleges that is the current rage of the "anti intellectual elite".

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:48pm
Lee1 said:
"So - LET NATURE DO WHAT IT WILL - in that we, humans, cannot stop it.  IE: no one can really control nature or BF.  Then we won't have to bear the sorrow and guilt more than we would anyway.  And believe me - there will be a lot of sorrow and survivors' guilt if such a thing as we all fear comes to pass!"

This is the view that Pianka is trying to change.  We ARE controlling nature and BF by setting up the conditions that create the viruses, or the red tides from sewage outflows, or the fact that virtually EVERY water creature is loaded with unsafe levels of mercury, and on, and on.  These things are MAN CHANGING THE ECOLOGY, EACH AND EVERY DAY,by the practices and policies we choose.   HUMANKIND could do it differently.  We could cooperatively slow down or stop some of the problems, or we could work together to prepare so the crash is not so bad.  Its convenient to avoid guilt because we didn't choose the individuals' method of death when our practices kill people, but should a drunk driver feel OK because he didn't pick the car or pedestrian he hit and killed?  Its moral cowardice to not look squarely at the consequences of your actions as a way to avoid change, which is why I am not surprised to see the likes of Drudge and his supporters attack someone trying to make the consequences of path WE HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN clear. 
Dave
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 1:09pm
"This is really an exciting time," he said Friday...

No kidding!

Don't forget, our "Intellectual Elite" are the ones on the front line of H5N1. Typical straw man argument of "there are many who profess...". I'm sure your Dr. and local hospital are hoping for your community to get wiped out by a pandemic, get friggin real.

No Citizen Blue, they can't change a tire or fix the roof when it leaks without some of us "non-elite" surviving.  Hard for them to maintain their standard of living and "elite" status if we're all gone, verstehen?
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 5:31pm
Smeared a scientist is right!!  Start a thread about a researcher making a valuable point (Pianka) by misrepresenting that point, even when interpreted through a highly agendized and negative reviewer (Mims), then throw in a brief reference to a racist idiot (Dr. Ellis), then refer to mythical websites for non-existent "core beliefs". 

Senator Mccarthy smiles in his grave!!
Dave
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Fiddlerdave Fiddlerdave wrote:

Smeared a scientist is right!!  Start a thread about a researcher making a valuable point (Pianka) by misrepresenting that point, even when interpreted through a highly agendized and negative reviewer (Mims), then throw in a brief reference to a racist idiot (Dr. Ellis), then refer to mythical websites for non-existent "core beliefs". 

Senator Mccarthy smiles in his grave!!

Fiddler, if the fact that his own statements were posted, and many people find them offensive is "Smearing" someone, then who would you propose to control what can be said in responce to offensive comments?

Im sorry, but anyone who PUBLICLY suggests the things that this person suggests is patently offensive to me, and apparently many other people.

And by the way, nobody misrepresented his statements here, they were quoted exactly from what I have seen.

How can you misrepresent someone who is quoted exactly?

Your ideology seems to be influencing your judgement.

Some people also refuse to be influenced by facts.

Just my opinion.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:56pm
Suggests What things?  In the whole discussion, I didn't see you discuss anything Pianka is actually saying, even as intrepreted by Mims. What I feel moves this to smearing is that the following exchange has nothing to do with Dr. Pianka, yet is phrased and placed to refer to him and his statements. The web reference put forth by Outlaw is STRICTLY about Dr. Ellis, nothing to do with Pianka.  I asked for a source  of the so-far nonexistent "position statement" by any of you. How a racist based Dr Ellis got mixed in with Pianka makes no logical sense, anyway.  
<<
Outlaw:
"Fiddler, Pianka is a certifiable loon. What he said is not nuance. Got to his website. Read his core belief statement. He is called r. Doom for a reason.

No amount of intellectual posturing will change the fact that this guy is a crank loon."

Harpmandoodle:
This is our crank loon outlaw:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4838498.stm

'...A lecturer who suggested ethnicity could influence average intelligence levels has been suspended from his job...'

HD

CV1632
Finally, somebody read the article and did some research.    
<<

I am open to a clarification.
Dave
cisne View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:05pm
Whille I agee with  Planka's statements that we are over populated and I agree that a pandemic is a likely result that will reduce our population, I thought it was unwise of him to categorically state that an airbone Ebola virus is the way to go, simply because some bright radical thinker will figure out a way to make it happen. 

If it is not a  pandemic event, it will be a major climate shift, or a supervolcano or some other catastrophe of nature or combination thereof,  Our species is being denigrated for doing what we were designed to do - multiply to the best of our ability and  grow our gene pool.

I had a philosophy instructor once who stated that Mother Nature did not care if the world was made of earth or plastic, it was we who should care because we probably wouldn't survive a world of plastic.

Thinning the herd through disease is a perfectly natural way for the ecosystemto restore a new balance. The fit will survive.  This doesn't mean the most powerful, the brightest (there go the elite), it means those who best adapt to the change in the environment.

If this man hinted that someone should design a super Ebola, then shame on him.   Fooling around with Mother Nature always leads to  unforseen and usally unwanted consequences.

However, nature will test us as a species. 

In a hundred years, we will all be bald.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:25pm

Professor criticized over comments about impending pandemic

AP 

(4/04/06 - AUSTIN, TX) - A University of Texas biology professor has been targeted by talk radio, bloggers and vitriolic e-mails -- including a death threat -- after a published report that he advocated death for most of the population as a means of saving the Earth.

But Eric Pianka said Monday his remarks about what he believes is an impending pandemic were taken out of context.

"What we really need to do is start thinking about controlling our population before it's too late," he said. "It's already too late, but we're not even thinking about it. We're just mindlessly rushing ahead breeding our brains out."

The public furor began when The Gazette-Enterprise of Seguin, Texas, reported Sunday on two speeches Pianka made last month to groups of scientists and students about vanishing animal habitats and the explosion of the human population.

The newspaper's Jamie Mobley attended one of those speeches and also interviewed Forrest Mims, an amateur scientist and author who heard Pianka speak early last month before the Texas Academy of Science.

After the newspaper's report appeared, it was circulated widely and posted on "The Drudge Report." It quickly became talk radio fodder.

The Gazette-Enterprise quoted Pianka as saying disease "will control the scourge of humanity. We're looking forward to a huge collapse."

Pianka said he was only trying to warn his audience that disease epidemics have happened before and will happen again if the human population growth isn't contained.

He said he believes the Earth would be better off if the human population were smaller because fewer natural resources would be consumed and humans wouldn't continue to destroy animal habitats. But he said that doesn't mean he wants most humans to die.

But Mims, chairman of the academy's environmental science section, told The Associated Press there was no mistaking Pianka's disdain for humans and desire for their elimination.

"He wishes for it. He hopes for it. He laughs about it. He jokes about it," Mims said. "It's got to happen because we are the scourge of humanity."

David Marsh, president of the Texas Academy of Science, did not return telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment. No recording or transcript of either that speech or another delivered last Friday at St. Edward's University in Austin was available for review by the AP. The Gazette-Enterprise said it reviewed a transcript of the original speech, which was provided on the condition that it not be distributed.

Allan Hook, a St. Edward's biology professor who heard both speeches, said Pianka "wasn't so perhaps adamant in his own personal views of what he thinks might happen" in his second lecture.

But Hook declined to elaborate on what Pianka said in the earlier speech, which Pianka delivered while being honored as the academy's 2006 Distinguished Texas Scientist.

University of Texas officials don't plan to take any action against Pianka, university spokesman Don Hale said.

"Dr. Pianka has First Amendment rights to express his point of view," Hale said. "We have plenty of faculty with a lot of different points of view and they have the right to express that point of view, but they're expressing their personal point of view."

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

DISCUSS THIS STORY
If you have a comment about this or another story on abc13.com, discuss it here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic