Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

vaccinate - with what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vaccinate - with what?
    Posted: April 11 2006 at 8:37am

This is a good article about Hagerstown. They are beginning to warn their citizens about avian flu.

But there is something in this article that puzzles me – I’ve seen this several times before.

They say that vaccines can’t be stockpiled, but in the next paragraph they say if a pandemic strikes they will need to vaccinate the entire county in 72 hours. With what?

Got Milk?

Just a joke. I don't think we really have to worry about fake vaccine (do we?) it just seems weird to find those two statements together in several articles.

Tuesday April 11, 2006

Avian flu threat is real; so is the need for action

If Washington County had a couple of years' notice that a terrorist attack was coming, could local officials craft a plan to prevent many deaths and major injuries?

We'd like to think so, but the county government's 2005 attempt at emergency planning wasn't exactly wrapped in glory.

That has to change now, because local officials in charge of maintaining the public's health say that in 10 years or less, the nation will face a pandemic of avian influenza.

The condition, commonly known as bird flu, is dangerous because it is caused by a virus. Over time, viruses can change or mutate into other forms that are resistant to the vaccines that are available now.

That means that vaccines can't be stockpiled, since doctors have no way of knowing which strain they'll be trying to combat.

If a pandemic strikes, health officials say they might have to vaccinate the entire county in just 72 hours.

According to William Christoffel, the Washington County Health Department's Health Officer, his department was previously able to vaccinate 6,000 people in eight hours.

Where this will take place hasn't been announced yet, but Christoffel said that his department has been preparing for an outbreak for the past five years.

During last November's flu clinic, Christoffel said that officials looked at what was needed for a county-wide effort.

Health officials say that after being vaccinated or treated with an antiviral drug, people will have to avoid contact with others, so that the bird flu can dissipate.

Tom Skinner of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told The Herald-Mail that citizens should prepare to be isolated in their homes for some time. And, he said, they should have a stockpile of food and any prescription medicines they take.

Christoffel said that soon more information will be released on how people can protect themselves from the flu - and how to treat family members who become infected, in the event that hospital space is limited.

For some citizens, the tendency will be to treat this as something that might never happen, and that if something does, well, they'll worry about that then.

Yes, it does seem as if there is some new alert issued regarding human health every month. For the record, the World Health Organization issued its bird flu alert in 2004 and more than 100 have died worldwide in the past three years.

As local officials have noted, a Spanish flu epidemic killed 1 million in this country in 1918. That need not take place again, if citizens realize that government officials aren't the only ones who have to prepare now to prevent the worst from happening later.

Lutosh View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:22pm

Early test results on bird flu vaccine are not promising

ATTEMPTS by scientists to manufacture a vaccine to protect humans against a bird flu pandemic have ended in failure.

Tests on the H5N1 vaccine showed that even at high doses, only half of those taking part in the trial developed levels of infection-fighting antibodies. More worrying for those running the tests was that the vaccine proved effective for less than a quarter of those receiving more conventional doses.

Figures from the World Health Organisation show that bird flu is known to have infected 193 people since late 2003, killing 109, while some 200 million birds have died or been culled. The greatest fear is that the virus might mutate, enabling it to be passed from human to human and triggering a worldwide pandemic because humans have no pre-existing immunity to these viruses.

With such a scenario in mind, scientists are working flat out to find an effective vaccine, but early results have not been promising.

Writing in the latest edition of the New England Journal of Medicine, Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said: "We are working hard to address the many challenges that remain with regard to the development of an H5N1 vaccine."

http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=556972006

sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:57pm
Read this which I posted earlier.  Tells alot about vaccines

sealbay
sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 7:53pm
You know, if you vaccinate in the face of a pandemic, you have to have ALOT of tamilfu prophylatically (sp?).

My experience in this is equines with a bad mutation of rhino pneumonia which also causes an encephalatide.  But in the face of a pandemic, I won't be vaccinating myself due to that very thing.  But that is my choice.

sealbay.
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 8:42pm
Aurora,

"With what?"

~~~~
Placebo?  j/k

Nice tho that they are warning the people.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic