Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Helping A Child

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Will you help a homeless child that comes to you for assistance?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
88 [88.00%]
12 [12.00%]

Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helping A Child
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 9:13pm
Imagine that a pandemic has occurred. A seven-year-old homeless child shows up at the border of your property. This child has not eaten in two days and seems very hungry. He/she asks you for something to eat. Are you going to turn him/her away out of fear?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 10:12pm
I would help any child. Adults are a different story. If it were someone I knew was trying to prep, but didn't quite make it, I would help some, non preppers...... nada.
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:15am

My church supports a orphans in Nigeria, We directly support about 40 orphans, It is costing a ton of money, and there is no middle man! We are helping with money, supplies, oxen, generators, digging wells.There are tens of thousands that need help just in the immediate area. Our senior pastor  and son just got back..... it is heartbreaking but in reality there is a limit to what you can do. I think that each of us is going to decide what that limit is.

For me this is why  my preps are kinda of open ended.I am hoping to help people.I will help an orphan. But I am  not a relief agency!

I am not going to compromise the life of my family for them. 

If  this( bird flu ) happens we are not living in the same world that we are now,many of us will not be able to make the adjustment.This of course jmho.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:38am
What's the point of social isolation and quarantine if you're going to go out and "help" people . there will be thousands????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:45am
You could put on a mask and leave some food outside. Tuning people away to die?? I don't know if I could live with myself. I couldn't do it. I hope it doesn't come to this.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:47am
Its scary.  I remarked to my son that I'd need to get more pasta for my brother and his family.  I couldn't refuse them at least the simplest food.  But he said you can't feed all of them  and its true I couldn't. They have four children and a large household of hangers on.   How could I even help just the two of them and their kids let alone the rest? Beth

Edited by Beth - April 18 2006 at 4:47am
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:55am
I think we would make decisions on a case by case basis.

A child alone without food - we'd find a way to safely provide what we could to the child without close contact until if and when we determined that the child was healthy.

We will probably find ourselves helping a few friends who have refused to take the threat seriously. I know this will compromise our preps and shorten the time we can survive without new suppiles, but I couldn't sentence dear friends to death by starvation because they were stupid. I've been stupid a time or two myself.

While we would do what we can to minimize exposure, my husband would probably continue to work for as long as possible so it would be a balancing act anyway.

Since I work from home anyway, I could continue as long as we had power, phone lines and my employer had billable work for me. A lot of "Ifs". More than likely, the companies they provide services to would stop purchasing new processes and upgrades so the work would dwindle or stop, regardless of utility services.
Potential loss of income concerns me, but I cannot control everything.

My biggest concern is still the lawlessness that would no doubt follow a pandemic. The lazy and the criminals who would take advantage of the situation and run wild.

I'm sure I would be prepared to exercise more caution if we had children at home to protect. In our case, our only child is already gone so we wouldn't be putting our own at risk by helping someone else.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:00am
The question was about a single child and deserves an answer.
Quarantine will only work  if NOTHING  contaminated  is allowed into your sterile area ... so it is not just small children but also pets, friends, nieghbours, postmen, contaminated mail, health workers etc..  Most of these we keep out by imposiing a defensive perimeter around the sterile area, perhaps the property perimeter in the domestic case. Inside that defensive perimeter is your own decontamination point ... part  'clean', part 'dirty'.  Since you would probably have to go to the perimeter often to collect mail etc ... the path to the perimeter also needs to be treated in the same way as the decontamination area, ie sprayed daily etc..
            The rest of the land inside the defensive perimeter has to be regarded as contaimnated and treated as such .... in the same way as the child.
           One could put a sterile tent  in this area, with a latrine bucket, some bottles of water, a sleeping bag, some food and an intercom back to the main sterile area.  The child could be placed in isolation in this tent until such time as it may be deemed safe to decontaminate it and allowed into the main sterile area ... or collection by the authorities.

Just imagine that the child is yours !.

Edited by Fruitcake - April 18 2006 at 2:42pm
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:10am

I , unfortunately , have to agree with  worrywart. I have done the best that I can to prep for this pandemic. We are not the united way or the red cross.  We have cut back to the essentials and in order to prep,  We just canceled our vacation.  We have taken our refund money ahd have brought more preps.  We have done all that we can do to prep for the bird flu.  I know that this si painful but we must maintain social isolation and quarrentine.   We both have tamiflu and are gettng plenty of water.  we now have that 90 day supply of water,  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:15am
Good Idea. Anyway, I really don't believe it will get this bad. I can't imagine my community living like this. If it mutates, I'm sure we will have some sick people, maybe close schools, limit or cancel public gatherings, but to think we will be living in this type of situation, is truly unbelieveable. On that note, I am still stocking up on supplies. I do count on electicity still working or gas and maybe running water. I/ve stocked up on that, but to have to live in an isolated sterile environment for weeks,,,,,,,
Gravitation View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:28am
tainted, removed

Edited by Gravitation - April 23 2006 at 7:29am
Inscriptions and Birddroppings are the only two things in Egypt that give any indication of life - Flaubert
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:38am

Edited by oknut - April 18 2006 at 8:12am
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:41am

I would be taking that child in -isolate him untill the chance of infection had passed but after that hed be a part of our family.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:46am
Gravitation,  Your heart is certainly in the right place.   

Smile 
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 5:57am
 when the sh*t hits the fan , there will be no easy answers,   roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:13am
The more I learn , the less I know !.  I was thinking about the child.  Before putting it into isolation, it has to be decontaminated and given a change of clothes. The following period of isolation was to see if the child had already been infected and developed symptoms.  Is it possible that a human could be a carrier and show no symptoms ?.
          It also occurred to me that an isolation tent could also be used to isolate anyone who may develop symptoms inside the sterile area.  It would make more sense than isolating infected members of ones family in the decontamination area.         

Edited by Fruitcake - April 18 2006 at 6:14am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:34am
I just discussed the topic at hand with my husband. He thinks we should up an area for the child and feed and house it. -that's one child-how about others.-i think it is good that we are thinking about possible scenerios, but please don't pass judgement. the end outcome is that nobody really knows what one would do until it happens.
I'm sorry I posted my thoughts- I'm not a heartless person at all, but I will not risk my family's life, that's all I can say.I'll stick to that. the situaion does not have a be and "all or none" event. Perhaps , if utilities are still functioning, one could call for help etc.
Left Field View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left Field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 6:54am
I'd take the child in.  One thing i've told my children, who have small children, is to make sure the young ones know how to feed themselves incase they are the only one left alive.  Preping is also making sure the children can survive in the event the parental units are dead.
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:01am
I will probably help the child, but taking precautionary measures in the process, just in the event the child is contaminated.
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:35am

If the worst case scenario plays out , WE could not turn anyone away, WE just couldn't.   We are older, just the two of us, no young kids at home  to protect.  So we'll sign up on any volunteer list and try help out in any way we can. And no question about it, we'd help a young child and/or an old duffer, for that matter.

Edited by Gimme - April 18 2006 at 12:25pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:09am
As for me and in my opinion, I would try to help the child even if that means giving him a hug because he just lost all of his loved ones. I am not afraid of dying, I am not afraid of catching pandemic flu. Don't get me wrong, I don't desire to catch it either. I am a realist though and I realize that at some point we are all going to have to develop antibodies and there will not be a vaccine for a long time that will be trustworthy. My entire desire in life is to hear my Savior say "well done my good and faithfull servant so I will follow what I believe He would want me to do. I have prepped so that I can help people. I hope that I can live up to that. God will provide. Just my opinion from my heart and not a lecture toward anyone.

Maranatha!
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 8:53am
I will not lose my humanity. I will help the child and who ever else I can without compromising my family's safety and well being.
It's always the lowest common denominator.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:01am
I too would help a child and not turn them away . That not the world I want to survive in. I will have extra rice anyway for some one and stretch it.

It probally is a good idea to make plans for a lost child food provisions extra rice flour sugar salt .

A indoor tent is probally a good idea extra masks and or creating a separate ventalation system for the sick child cut of the furnace vent open a window, summer only.

Gowns would be good investments now. They wore two for sars masks googles earplugs hoods.       

Edited by Deanna - April 18 2006 at 9:07am
Daisy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:12am
I would not be able to turn away a child, I know that for certain.
I would isolate them the best I could, dependent on their age, and after a certain period of time take them into the family.
conelrad View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conelrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:24am
Adults are one thing. All the talk about the flu has been on the news at least once or twice a week for a long time. So there is really no reason for adults/parents not to know about the potential situation.Kids are something else. I couldn't see surviving the flu just to be able to not live with myself becuase I turned away a child. I'd rather have stocks of extra food (which I'll do) for just such a situation.
"You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."
nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:17am

I would quarantine the child in our shed or garage, and bring him/her food, until the virus incubation period passes (two weeks? I don't know) and then allow him/her into the home with us.

larrylinux View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrylinux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:31am
I will have to agree with Deanna. If turning away helpless children is what it would take to survive, I do not want to survive the pandemic. Imagine living in a world of cold, heartless "survivors" who turned away the most innocent of all of us!

LL

ps - I must also say that none of us really know how we will react until the storm begins.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:49am

OF COURSE I WILL HELP THE CHILD!!!!!! I WOULD  ISOLATE HER  FIRST, TO MAKE SURE THAT SHE WAS FREE OF CONTAMINATION. TO SURVIVE AT THE COST OF SELLING MY SOUL, WOULDN'T BE WORTH IT. I THINK ANYONE WHO WOULD ALLOW A SMALL HOMELESS CHILD STARVE TO DEATH,  WHEN THEY HAD TO FOOD TO FEED HER, WILL GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!! THAT ISN'T A PRICE I AM WILLING TO PAY. HOW COULD YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELF, KNOWING THAT YOUR LACK OF ACTION WOULD RESULT IN THE STARVATION OF A SMALL CHILD. THAT IS JUST EVIL. I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Edited by Diane - April 18 2006 at 10:49am
AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:52am
The child would be put somewhere safe in quarantine, the child would be given all the neccessities I have to offer.  If my husband or I were to die of this disease and our children left parentless, I'd hope that there would be some one with a heart to give my children the care they'd need. God willing. If that were my child, I'd hope someone would be human enough to give them care. For I'd do it to a neighbor's child if I had to. 
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:29am

I once had a small child approach me in a mall parking lot stating that he was lost.  I told him that I would take him to the security desk in at the store.  When we got to the store he states theres my dad now and took off.  Meanwhile the hubcaps were being stolen form my truck while he was doing his job of distracting me.  My opinion- only if I knew the child from the neighborhood, would there be any generosity beyond assisting them on their collective ways.

Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 11:41am
 At least it was just your hubcaps and not your truck!  Wink
P_S_N View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P_S_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:17pm
One of my neighbors has an eight year old son. I would help him if he needed help. If the child were completely strange to me then the kind of help I offered would depend on the situation. I would have to trust my instincts. There are many ways to help without giving what you cannot afford to give or placing yourself at risk. As TERMS1 post points out young children often are not quite as innocent as we wish to believe.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:34pm
tainted, removed

Grav.

Inscriptions and Birddroppings are the only two things in Egypt that give any indication of life - Flaubert
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:37pm
I don't believe anyone here said "hosed down with disinfectant". and YES isolation would be my first thought. As I would not want my own children to die.  They are everything to me. Nothing else matters. If my Dh and I were to die, and our children left defenseless.... I would hope someone would take my kids in, however...knowing the threat of BF, they would be smart to quarantine my kids just incase, to keep their own children safe. I don't see anything wrong with that!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:44pm
FC wrote: 'Before putting it into isolation, it has to be decontaminated and given a change of clothes'

That is the same as hosing down in terms of semantics. What's more 'it' is less than a term of endearment. Children are humans remember?

Pehaps you could provide your children training in decontaminating themselves and hang a sign round their necks saying 'CLEAN' to save others having to cope.

Grav.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:48pm
 So, I should allow children into my home that could be infected with BF...infect my children,myself,and my husband....knowing this disease could possibly kill 50% of those it infects, where would that leave all of us? Dead, more than likely.  Do I want to take that risk? No, absolutely not. And I've used the term "him/her" or "the child" never "it" so don't pounce on me for the use of that term. As I've not used it. In addition, I would expect others to maintain caution with my children as I would theirs.  And you don't need to use sarcasm.  I can understand your point quite well. I just don't happen to agree with you.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:58pm
tainted, removed

Grav.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:59pm
" hyporthetical"????
Yes, your sarcasm is rather amusing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:10pm
Under each posting is a report button, which one can use to report  problem individuals. I have just used it !
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:14pm
I promise, I'm being good! Hug
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:17pm
LOL  Tongue
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:18pm
tainted, removed

Edited by Gravitation - April 23 2006 at 7:30am
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:25pm
The button is for reporting posting problems, not problem individuals.  If you can't stand a critique, you shouldn't engage in social discourse.
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:30pm
Right on carpenter
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:33pm

LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic