Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - April 24th- What have you done to prep this week
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

April 24th- What have you done to prep this week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 24th- What have you done to prep this week
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:21pm
New week, new post.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:37pm
The store had a sale on London Broil again this week.  I don't need to can anymore but i just can't let a sale like that go by.  Got 20 pounds and have 7 quarts in the canner now...probably anoth 6 pints.  I will finish them today.  I also got a dry mix cake icing and 2 more packages of lemon crystals.  That should be enough lemon for me to do about anything i need to do for a couple of years.  I am thinking about canning another 20 pounds of lard....was amazed at the price of other oils on the shelf, lard is a lot cheaper and adds more taste...lasts for the next thousand years too. 

I was dutifully cutting off al the fat on each bunch of meat that i bought and my mom told me not to do that.  She said the fat will add a lovely taste when i cook it and helps to make a great gravy.  I was looking at the jars and each has just a bit of fat on it now, i liked the one i tried for adinner.  I don't buy fatty pieces for canning but i now no longer trim the little bits off the edges. 
Ironstone
AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:41pm
Today is when hubby and I are getting the bulk of our stuff. Going to "preparation" forum and getting some lists from there. :) 
striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:48pm
Nothing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:02pm
I really don't have anything left to do. I have food for three years, gas storage, medical supplies (lots) .....I can't think of anything else to buy.
All I need to do, is top off propane tanks and a last minute trip to the store, when I hear it has started.

Edited by Mountainwinds - April 24 2006 at 5:03pm
newyorkprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyorkprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:24pm
I took all of our "spare change" jars to the grocery store, dumped them into the Coinstar machine, and collected over $100! Thumbs Up   Which I spent on preps of course...

imodium
vitamins
spaghetti sauce
candles and matches
juice and crystal light
baked beans
tuna
yeast
sugar
brownie mix
50 lbs. flour

We just started prepping a few weeks ago and have almost finished the 12-week list!  Will continue to add from there.

"And in the end....the love you make is equal to the love you take."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:29pm
Back to the HEB for me.  Still not noticing anyone prepping.  Todays list:

8 pk paper towels
case of pork n beans
several cans chili
several cans beef stew
bottled water
hubbys rx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:47pm
DH and I bottled 6 more gallons of homemade wine
started another 6 gallons
canned 2 more batches of jelly
caught 2 limits of perch to freeze
bought more:
dried blueberries
seasonings
25lbs pinto beans
tooth paste
tooth brushes
Listerine
shampoo
conditioner
OTC meds
soap
Lysol spray
TP
propane
bleach
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:55pm
Got the canning finished for the day.  I also vacuum packed 4 bags of biscotti and the lemon crystals.  I am starting to think about bringing in a large plastic shelf in the garage to use for towels and sheets and things, everything else is full of preps..  Have to think about all this and do the reorganization in my minds eye before i commit to action.
Ironstone
Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

I really don't have anything left to do. I have food for three years, gas storage, medical supplies (lots) .....I can't think of anything else to buy.
All I need to do, is top off propane tanks and a last minute trip to the store, when I hear it has started.

Get a grain mill (grinder) for all that wheat you've got. Smile
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 9:20pm
  Hi Mountianwinds, can you please tell me about how much wheat flour and ect. your are storing to make bread.  Some say you should have 300lbs, for each adult for one year.  Does this sound about right?  Help from anyone else will   also be appreciated.  Thanks everyone.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:07pm
I wasn't planning on storing wheat. I bought a lot of cases of stuff from a guy who had a Y2K store. I had to buy everything he wanted to sell, which was about 75 cases of stuff. For $10 a case. At retail, was over $6000. The freeze dried stuff is really expensive. But anyway, I wound up with a lot of wheat, and I wasn't sure what to do with it.
conelrad View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conelrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:19am
Good shopping week at Aldi's.Got soup mix (Like Liptons) .49 a box, picked up a dozen boxes. Several cans of canned Veggies (corn,pea's) .35/can.Picked up some more Beef Stew for $1.39/can. Got some more 3 lbs bag pf rice for .89/bag. I didn't get them, but they had solar patio lights, 2 to a box for $19.95.
I have a good stock of food now. Next week I'll have to work on meds a little more.
"You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times."
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:30am
We went shopping last night. Got a lot of items! Spent $312 total. But that is including our regular "daily" items as well as prep items. Still just my second trip in prepping. I bought two large cans of baked beans, Chef Boyardee Ravioli (8 cans), 4 cans of spaghetti-Os (the kids love 'em, and you can eat them right out of the can) Lots of ramen, canned soups, veggies, fruits. Looked at the powdered milk,my only problem is that it was all non-fat milk. My baby needs whole milk and my older son needs 2% for the calories and calcium.  I'll have to shop around for some whole powdered milk. If there is such a thing. We bought a huge pack of matches. 1,000 total! Batteries (we'll be buying more). Candles. We're going to costco this weekend and buying toilet paper and paper towels in bulk. Cheaper and you get more for your money. So far,so good. Bought extra laundry detergent and drier sheets.  They're doing a "Bulk sale" in a couple of weeks here at the Commissary. We'll be going to that. Awesome deals! My husband flinched a bit when he saw it ring up to over $300. Guess he wasn't expecting that preparing for BF would amount to so much. And we're just starting! We're being re assigned in August to somewhere else, and we don't know where. So, all the stuff we buy now will have to be moved then. And military won't ship canned foods. So that makes prepping a bit difficult for us.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:38am
Alaska, in the "old days" they used to make baby formula from evaporated milk.  There might be some info on the web about it.  It would really be hard to shop if they will not move canned goods.  I think i would keep those at a minimum and use them before i moved or drive them yourself if possible.  If this hits this Fall, August may still leave you a bit of time if you just save the money you would have spent on canned goods.  Just my thoughts on the matter but i am sure you have already gone thru it all in your own mind.  Big smile
Ironstone
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:08pm
Iron,it's been a pain in the butt trying to figure out what we're going to do. We don't know WHERE we're going. We could end up in Guam for all we know! If that happens, we wouldn't even be able to haul our canned items ourselves.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:11pm
AA - I don't know what it tastes like, but apparently Nestle makes a whole milk powder called Nido.

Just found it at an online Mexican grocer.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/2575.html
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:16pm
Not done much today.  In the guest room i have a bulky wicker chair angled into a corner...found i could stack 48 juices, 24 cans of veggies and 24 jars of homecanned meat behind it.  More room on the living area floor!
Ironstone
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:19pm
Oknut,thanks for the URL! I'll go there and look.  I'm pretty new to this prepping stuff. i've been avidly read this forum board for tips and suggestions. We have limited funds, but I find that we can add stuff little by little. Hopefully S*** won't HTF until after August. :X
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:27pm
Alaska - Since this Nido stuff is produced by Nestle, you might be able to find it locally or get a better price. I read a few discussions about it and people say it tastes good.

I checked Amazon.com and they sell it through the mexican grocer.

I hear you about the limited funds. Hubby is still rolling his eyes over the boxes I've received. LOL!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:38pm
my  husband nearly swallowed his tongue when he saw our grocery bill. I told him, that if SHTF.... we'll be the ones not making mad dashes to the stores, or crying in our beer (or lack thereof) when our children are hungry and there's nothing left in our pantry. We're actually scratching our trip to Seward in June just so we can buy supplies.  I've had to tell him repeatedly that no matter what happens, be it tornado if we move into the mid west, a hurricane if we move to the southern cost line, an earthquake, drought...whatever... at least we will be prepared.
I'll go to Amazon! I love that site.  We don't have a lot of variety of stores up here. So, buying online is pretty much our only option. I still have yet to buy face masks! Thanks for the tips, Oknut!
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:48pm
AlaskaAquarian - I have no idea if this tastes like real whole milk, but I found these instructions for making non-fat powdered milk into 1%, 2% and whole milk.

Turning Your Non-fat Powdered Milk Into 1%, 2% Or Whole Milk

The powdered milk we sell is non-fat milk, or skim milk and only offer this type because of it’s long storing qualities. If your family pretty much refuses to drink skim milk, there is a relatively easy way to add some fat back into your milk giving it a much closer taste to whole milk. Or, if you like, you can make 1% or 2% milk. Here is how you do it.

The Concept: Emulsify some vegetable oil then add it to your reconstituted milk. The word ‘emulsify’ means 'to suspend small globules of one liquid into a second liquid with which the first will not mix.' Two examples of this are the fat in regular milk and using soap to dissolve grease. In both cases, fat is broken up into millions of microscopic particles which are prevented from coming back together again by the emulsifying agent. Eggs are one of the best known food-safe emulsifying agents. In fact, mayonnaise is nothing more than a lot of oil and a very little bit of egg and vinegar that have been emulsified together. We are going to do the same thing. Caution should be taken not to use fresh, raw eggs because of the fear of Salmonella. Use powdered eggs instead. The manufacturers claim powdered eggs are Salmonella-free.

The Recipe:
        Amount            Reconstituted
Milk     Milk      Egg     Powdered     Vegetable
Desired Desired   Powder Milk        Oil--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Cup      1/8t    1/4 C        1/2 t
1%     Quart     1/4t    1/4 C        2 t
        Gallon    1t      1/4 C      2 T,+1-1/2t

Cup      1/4t    1/4 C        1 t
2%     Quart     1/2t    1/4 C       1 T,+1 t
        Gallon     2t     1/2 C       1/4C,+1T

Whole     Cup      1/2t    1/4 C        1-1/2 t
3.4%    Quart      1t     1/4 C       2T,+1/2t
        Gallon   1T,+1t   1 C        1/2C,+2t

In a gravy shaker add milk then egg powder. Shake until well dissolved. Add vegetable oil and shake vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Your oil should now be in a fine emulsification. Add this to your ‘Amount Milk Desired’ and shake briefly.

Your oil will stay in suspension for a long time. However, much like cream in raw, unhomegenized milk, over time the fats in the milk will float to the top. The oil will be cream colored, though, and still emulsified with the egg. A quick shake of your milk jug will mix them back up for several hours.

I chose a gravy shaker in these instructions making this possible without electricity. However, under normal conditions, a blender will create a much finer emulsion. Mixed in a gravy shaker, it took about 2 hours for the emulsified fat to raise to the top of the container. It took 6-8 hours for the much more finely emulsified fat to rise in the container that had been processed in a blender. You will have better luck mixing the larger batches than smaller batches. This is because the egg powder and oil won't be so diluted in the milk, permitting the emulsion process to work better.

If you'd like to re-fat your powdered milk with real butterfat, you could also add a small amount of sweet cream to your reconstituted milk and shake it vigorously or quickly blend it. Over time, you can decrease the amount of fat you put in your milk and gradually wean them off the richer milk.

link to page is:
http://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information/reconstitutedmilk.htm
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:54pm
Confused wow. Thanks Oknut. I'm terrible at cooking. I'll just stick to buying powdered whole milk.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:12pm
Yesterday April 30th
Sam Club
1 large box of oreos
2 large bags of penne pasta
1 10pk ravioli
1 10 beef soup
1 10 chicken noodle soup
1 large powered pink lemonade
1 case juice
3 pack of cristol light lemonade
3 large bags of potato's incase it hits now instead of later
1 spam
2 4 pk of turkey. canned
1  5 pk chicken canned
2 8 pk corn
2 8 packs pea
1 12 string beans
100 pack of purell wipes...single bagged for pocket book
4 pack of deodarant
2 large boxes of minute rice......
170 more paper plates
250 more  cups
1 large bottle of Mr. Clean  Love that bald headCool
1 large package of pork
1 large package of beef
2 bottle of BQ sauce
2 bread crumbs
100 pk platex
64 pk always
2 large jars of Peanut butter
1 box honey gram crackers
There was 3 boxes but kids help me unload so there went the other two boxes
3 dak ham
5 pound of elbow mararoni

Safety Lady View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safety Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:41pm
I pulled the dehydrator out and started drying orange and lemon peel for teas. 

Garden is huge this year.  DH and I decided to plant three times the amount of veggies than last year.  Already have green onions coming up and the rest is doing well.  Estimated the garden for 6 people. 

I already have storage preps done for over six months.  Been preping for over 30 years and rotate and use the stored foods on a regular basis.

Remember to take each day one at a time.  A little prep over a long period of time makes for a nice amount of preps.

Edited by Safety Lady - April 25 2006 at 3:42pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:04pm
I bought tuna, mac and cheese, more rice. And cereal.
I also stocked up on chicken and hamburgers. I live in the U.S. and I'm stocking up on chicken and turkey b/4 the bird flu birds get here. I also asked the butcher where the chickens are raised. He gave me a really funny look and told me Pennsylvania.
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:11pm
we got 140 gallons of water, brought a 50 gallon water tank, got a  lot of odds and ends. three pounds of chicken annd beef gravy mix each, got lots of candies, we got plenty of crackers.
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:01pm
Komet, where did you buy the 50 gallon water tank and may I be so bold to ask how much did it cost?
Thanks
Scott
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
kittles View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:34am

AA, I have purchased Nido at our local Krogers. Comes in 14 oz. can with yellow label. Use 1 part powder to 3 parts water. Can makes 13 (1 cup) servings. Also comes in chocolate milk for chocolate lovers out there! I stocked up on Nido for Y2K. Thought it was better than the other powdered milks I had stored. But then again it IS powdered.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:39am
Hi Missipi Mama.  I couldn't comment on bread specifically.  But I work on 2000 cals per person per day.  Thats right for young women.  Men probably 2500.
You need 10% of your cals from protein foods, 30-35% from fats,10% from sugars and the rest from other carbohydrates like grains.  So on 2000 cals thats 200 cals each  from protein and sugar,45% from grains/flour etc. 900 cals.  Divide by 4 gives you grams.  Carbohydrate is 4 cals per gram.  Then you work out how much of your carbohydrate you want in the form of bread as opposed to oatmeal, rice, pasta etc.  Beth

PS I work on 2000 cals and 50% carbs actually - thats 1000cal = 250 g dry grain or flour or whatever per person per day.  Its probably a bit less than I'd need given I have young men to feed but its nice and easy to work out and gives a starting point in round figures, which I can adapt later.

Edited by Beth - April 26 2006 at 5:44am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:47am

Monday:

(2) Pkg. Tyson Chicken Chunks

(8) Can Corned Beef

(1) Block Velveeta Cheese

(3) Cans Carrots (to fill my quota for 6 mos. On my excel sheet calculator!)

(3) boxes Graham Crackers

(3) sm. Cans Vienna Sausages of each flavor (to Try & see if we like them!)

(3) 3-pk Gallons of Water (Total: 12 Gallons)

(10) pks. Spaghetti (Total: 10#)

(3) Dishwashing Detergents

(3) Box Cereal

(4) Pkg. Lipton Side Pasta (for DD)

(4) Box Unflavored Gelatin (for egg substitute)

(7) Chicken Noodle/Rice Soup (for possible flu recovery)

(1) 20 Pk TP

(10) Tomato Puree

(2) Sugar (4# ea.)

(2) Pkg. Pepperoni Slices

Tuesday:

(15) ‘D’ Batteries

(2) 50’ Aluminum Foil

(1) 4-pk Lighters

(4) Pkg. Latex Gloves

(2) Plastic Bags – folded type for pup’s paws when he goes outside

(1) 8’ x 18” Kiddie Pool for H2O storage—holds 451 gallons

(now I need a  cover!)

(1) ea Shampoo & Conditioner

(1) Summer Sausage (on sale @ our local Ollies!)

MORE Easter Candy!!! J

12 more gallons of water

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 8:25am
Today I organized my preps and order a radio...This radio has
Cracked power/siren/light/am/fm/shortwave/weather noaa 7 stations and cell phone charger. It also can run off 2 AA and come with a carrying case.  90 seconds of cracking power give 1 hour music.
49.95 plus 8.95 tax....
If you got a better deal don't tell me.  I looked at about 100 emergency radio's and picked out this one.http://www.magellans.com/store/Appliances___RadiosAR107?Args=
Emergency Crank Radio & Cell Charger
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:08pm
Decided last week to go from 6 months to 9 months, so starting again.
4-pkgs toilet paper
8-Ragu
2-juice
2-gatorade
1-case Dasani
8-boxes cat food
2-cake mix
1-case Ramen
3-shampoo
3-deodorants
3-toothbrushes
6-air fresheners
3-kitty litter
20-pkgs paper plates
20-pkgs napkins
10-pkgs cups
20-pkgs sandwich meat
6-loaves frozen bread (to make)
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:14pm
Hi Penham!

Hubby sprung 13 surprise overnight guests on me last weekend and they used up a few of my preps.   

They at all of the summer sausage, much of the crackers and I had to dip into the TP supply to satisfy them.

Time to get out there again for me too.
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:15pm
Don't worry oknut, just call it rotating. :)
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:12pm
Just had a wonderful thought(yes, occasionally i do get them).  Have been desperately trying to come up with more room for preeps and I'll bet I can find some shelves to hang on doors.  I have two closets with doors that open and do not slide.  That will be my project, hunting for something to affix to them.
Ironstone
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:27pm
I went in search of "Nido" the powdered milk. I haven't found it up here. I'll keep looking at the different stores. Up here, "Krogers" is called "Fred Meyers"
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:53pm
Thanks Avantarts - I have another crew of who knows how many coming in 3 weeks from Wisconsin. Mostly old friends who ride. We moved here from Wisconsin and there's a rally here in May and September that people ride down for.

Between trying to find places to stash the preps and putting up so many houseguests, it's a challenge.

AlaskaAquarian - sorry you haven't found any Nido locally. The bad part of ordering online is paying for the shipping costs. I was hoping that Amazon sold it directly because they have their $25 or more and shipping is free deal, but they only offer it through the other site.

My new supply of canning jars arrived yesterday so it's time to stock more, if I can just figure out where to put it.

I should post in whatever area people offer things - but if anyone is interested in a soymilk maker and tofu kit, I'd make them a good deal. It works great, but I don't drink milk and my hubby is hooked on Silk brand vanilla.

Deb (oknut)
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:44pm
Heavy duty generator cable (25 ft long) with 4 pig tails
Fore grip for the AK
4,200 rounds of 7.62x39
Sold the motorcycle and buying another

Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
dustyboots View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 6:45pm
Ordered in bulk to pick up tomorrow!
100 lbs sugar
50 lbs brown sugar
15 lbs dried banana chips
25 lbs granola
50 lbs blueberry muffin mix- just add water- taste fabulous

working towards a well rounded 6 months then hopefully to 1 year
prepmeister View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 8:55pm
Bought:
150 gallon water tank
MSR Miox water purifier
Steripen water purifier
Received Solar battery charger
Bought extra shampoo/deoderant
Propane Lantern
Light bulbs
Oil for car
Propane Grill
Led flashlight Tac Torch v2
Solar Shower
2 battery powered fans

Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 9:27pm
Tuesday: Found a super deal on Folger's instant coffee at the drugstore, of all places. The use-by date is sometime next year so I don't know why the coffee was priced for clearance. Bought 5 jars at $1.49 each.

Wednesday: Well, no worries about the hot water tank malfunctioning during a pandemic or other disaster. The old one died today and replacing it was a shock to my wallet. Looks like I'll be eating food from my emergency pantry for the next couple of weeks. Buying anything for prepping has to cease for now but this will give me a chance to better organize what I have already.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:16pm
I had a HUGE shock today!!!!! MY HUSBAND IS GETTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, I never thought it was going to happen. He went and bought a generator in case the Pnademic flu hits. He tells me this in a lowered, sheepish voice. There is a God!!
Otherwise, got another 40 lbs of Kitty litter (we're going thru it almost as fast as I'm buying it with 13 cats!), another box of velveeta, big jar of peanut butter, 2 boxes of crackers, jam, dried cranberry's.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 8:43am
I take offence to that comment , we are not prepping because of some silly rumor . We have been imformed and warned by several experts on the subject to prep.

We arent planning on waiting for a goverment handout and feel our families safety is our issue.   I will never stand in line for a bottle of water and live on a cot in a stadium. Dont call me foolish .

If Im wronge I will be donating my extra food to a food bank and proud that God made me stronge enough to do that . I would rather give to charity than get it. If your wronge your children will suffer ands you will be lining up for a handout .    

Edited by Deanna - April 27 2006 at 8:47am
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Parranoid Mom Parranoid Mom wrote:

Boy, are you going to feel silly if bird flu doesnt actually hit!

If you are not planning to prep, then YOU are going to be screwed if it does.

Don't criticize others for trying to protect themselves or their families.  Even if there is not a pandemic in the near future, there are still hurricanes, tornados, floods, and other possible disasters that we need to be prepared for.

Edited by jackson - April 27 2006 at 9:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic