Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

No One Knows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No One Knows
    Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:18am
I have been prepping for some months now and have converted a lot of my closet space to preps.  No one, not even my kids know the extent of my prepping.  I am afraid to tell anyone because it might leak out to others who do not have my welfare at heart and because the family may send me off to have my head candledwhile they toss out a lot of food stuffs.  When a local close friend sees the food in the living area i tell her i am packing it to send to another city when my daughter comes to visit and my daughter thinks i have a couple of closets with canned foods.

The truth would shock them, it even shocks me at times, but i am afraid of their reaction because none of them think it is a danger.  I have gotten my friend to prep a bit but she just has enough for 1 person for 3 months and she has small family members that i know she would want to feed but she will not stock for them.  Her reasoning being, it may not hit and i will have all this food i have to consume by myself.  I must admit, i also look at that but i have a greater fear of it hitting and not enough to save my family.  It is a choice i am not alone in making.   The only place i find like minds is on this board with a bunch of other paranoid preppers.  Truth is, i sometimes question my own sanity.
Ironstone
Bahama Mama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahama Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:32am
You are not alone---I sometimes feel the same way. I used to tell friends about bird flu and encourage them to start prepping. Unfortunately, they started to think I was paranoid or crazy.  Many of them have said that if things get really bad, they will just come to my house becuase I have food, water, and supplies.  I don't have enough for very many people, and I am concerned about what would happen if they actually did show up at my door!!  I have been more careful about who I tell about my preps.
Let's Party!
Rhonda View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:32am
You are not alone. I and many others are in the same boat . Thats why we are all here. I would rather be a have than a have not.  Sadly the others as I call them will not do anything until its to late and then they will be knocking at our doors. I think its easier for some people to ignore what can happen than to do something to save themselves and there families.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahama Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:38am
I've tried stocking up on some extra food and water for friends and neighbors who might show up at my door. Unfortunately,  I doubt I will have enough for everyone who might show up. I'll just have to do the best I can and buy what I can and hope for the best.
Let's Party!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:44am
I too hide the food in my bedroom closet and under my bed and under table in my room and dont tell anyone for fear of being seen as crazy plus I feel its my business and everyone gets the same news I do and the right to make any chose they want to make on prepping.

I think alot of people are prepping and not telling anyone. The truth is if you prep it should be in secret otherwise you set your family up to be robbed.
IN for a penny in for a pound ,prep in secret only   

I know I am doing the right thing and thats enough for me

Edited by Deanna - April 26 2006 at 10:49am
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahama Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:50am
Deanna, I hope you are right that many more people are prepping and not telling anyone. I was thinking that before, and I really hope it is true.  
Let's Party!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 10:52am
If I were to pick one food to have on hand for unexpected demands, it would be rice. It's CHEAP and a couple of 40 lb. sacks would go a long way.

As far as water is concerned, why not ask friends to save and store empty 2 liter soda bottles for you? It costs them nothing to do so. Then, if TSHTF, at least they'll have a way to quickly store water.
montanamoose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montanamoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:11am
The only person that knows that I am fanatically prepping is my husband.  He humors me, teases me some but is always glad to know he won't go hungry or thirsty if TSHTF.  I never hear anyone at my work or community talking about BF or prepping.  Wish I knew what others around me were doing.
newyorkprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyorkprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:14pm

My husband and I have been prepping for about a month now, and we are making great headway on a three-month list.  No one that I work with ever talks about BF.  I tried to bring it up on Monday after the Dateline show by asking a couple of people "did you catch Dateline last night?" 

My boss said, with a smirk, yes she saw it.  She said "there is nothing we can do to stop a disease from coming, so there is no use worrying abouy it".  UNBELIEVABLE!!!  I actually (did) respect her, and I was so shocked by her casual attitude about it!  My husband tried to play devil's advocate and said, maybe she is just so overwhelmed by the thought that she chooses to do nothing instead of trying to do anything.

I will feel very sad when it happens and MOST of the people in my life are not prepared and are suffering!

Newyorkprepper
"And in the end....the love you make is equal to the love you take."
dustyboots View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 7:59pm
I also have decided to shut my mouth. I have talked to the people I work with about preping and they look at me like I am a loon. I will continue to do as much as I can as fast as I can afford to in hopes of never having to use any of it! Not sure what I will do if they come a knockin'!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic